So What's Coming to the New Pleasure Island?

Like the plans before that, and the ones before that... :)

Disney has announced a fair number of things that never came to pass...

I'm personally hoping for limited time magic: one more week at Mannequins Dance Palace

Who knows...with the work that has been going on in MDP, it could be in the works. Disney certainly doesn't hire an electrical company for nothing...

I'm personally hoping for limited time magic: one more week at Mannequins Dance Palace

Who knows...with the work that has been going on in MDP, it could be in the works. Disney certainly doesn't hire an electrical company for nothing...

Giggidy -- hopefully somewhere in the Jan 4th to 10th timeframe.. (lol)

Well I hope everyone saw the news about Tom Wolber being announced as the new Senior Vice President of Downtown Disney (and Disney Sports). You see, Wolber comes from Disney Cruise Lines, possibly the most profitable arm of the Walt Disney Corporation.

Fans of Pleasure Island should be very happy because his legacy at DCL is that every ship not only catered to children and families, but also offered adult guests an entertainment district just for them. He's shown that one does not need to exclude adult activities even when your focus is on children and families. That's the exact opposite of what happened with Disney closing the comedy and dance clubs at PI. The shutdown left adult guests at Disney with virtually nothing to do except head over to Universal's CityWalk entertainment complex.

PI fans are hoping that Wolber will bring his philosophy to Downtown Disney and rectify the Pleasure Island fiasco. Nearly 4-1/2 years ago those clubs were closed, absolutely none of them are being used for anything else. Two were demolished and replaced by grass, the other four sit idle, partly hidden behind bushes.

BobK/Orlando

Well I hope everyone saw the news about Tom Wolber being announced as the new Senior Vice President of Downtown Disney (and Disney Sports). You see, Wolber comes from Disney Cruise Lines, possibly the most profitable arm of the Walt Disney Corporation.

Fans of Pleasure Island should be very happy because his legacy at DCL is that every ship not only catered to children and families, but also offered adult guests an entertainment district just for them. He's shown that one does not need to exclude adult activities even when your focus is on children and families. That's the exact opposite of what happened with Disney closing the comedy and dance clubs at PI. The shutdown left adult guests at Disney with virtually nothing to do except head over to Universal's CityWalk entertainment complex.

PI fans are hoping that Wolber will bring his philosophy to Downtown Disney and rectify the Pleasure Island fiasco. Nearly 4-1/2 years ago those clubs were closed, absolutely none of them are being used for anything else. Two were demolished and replaced by grass, the other four sit idle, partly hidden behind bushes.

BobK/Orlando

I saw all this info on your blog as well, just wanted to say thanks again for fighting the good fight. Kungaloosh!

I wory that anyone in a position to bring adult entertainment to PI and the inclination to do so would have their hands tied as to not make it look like Disney was admitting to a mistake.

I wory that anyone in a position to bring adult entertainment to PI and the inclination to do so would have their hands tied as to not make it look like Disney was admitting to a mistake.
~There is no question that Downtown Disney is a disaster. I really hope Disney is past that stage, as everyone is entitled to make a mistake. Disney is bringing in Tom Wolber from Disney Cruise Line -- this guy is credited with having the ability to create a nice balance of entertainment options for everyone. Hopefully, Wolber can somehow create a lively fun atmosphere for Downtown Disney like he did for the cruise ships. We'll see. :goodvibes

From what I understand is the European travelers who come for weeks at a time like to go to the movies because they will not release in their country for a few months.

That's correct us folks from the UK often visit the cinema whilst here, We will be at the world in August and will likely go to the cinema whilst there.

Looking forward to Wreck It ralph coming out here in the UK next month, it was advertised whilst there last August, I imagine its long gone in the USA

Well I love Downtown Disney, a little sad Pleasure Island closed and what not but with a Family that contains two small kids I wouldnt be going to it anyways as my day with the kids is exhausting enough BUT on a side note.....................

With Disney's purchase of Star Wars is anyone thinking of a nice update to DISNEY QUEST ?

I always looked at the :

1. Super Hero Light Saber thing as a rip off of Star Wars anyways. Those air skiffs/platforms you stand on look like those RETURN OF THE JEDI sand skiffs/hovercraft things and then of course the whole light saber you use. Wouldnt it be cool if they updated that whole thing graphic wise to be Star Wars and you can dool with the likes of Darth Maul or Darth Vader/ect ?

2. That I think its called ALIENS ? or something , the space ship you enter and have a 360 screen basically and you shoot at the aliens ? I can remember going into that thing and playing that whole Han and Luke scene where they are in the Millenium Falcon shooting at the bad guys in SW4 a New hope. Change that to a Star Wars theme.

3. Take those aladdin VR things and make them into those speeder bikes from ROFJ ( I do like Aladdin though so would sort of miss it )

All 3 of the above seriously need newer/better graphics anyways but they seem like pretty spot on to convert /change to Star wars and could be done rather cheapily

I havent gone into Disney Quest in about 3-4 years but I always liked it but felt it needed a bunch of updates the lat time I went in

these 3 updates would really spike my interest in going in there again for sure

My non-commercial SAVE PLEASURE ISLAND BLOG analyzes the confirmed rumor about Downtown Disney becoming Disney Springs and Pleasure Island becoming The Landing:

http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2013/02/d.html

I personally think the name changes add no value to the DTD situation. The new names certainly are not exciting names and they're going to cost a ton of money given the vast quantity of signs around property that use the existing names. But it appears that's what's coming!

BobK/Orlando

maybe the name is to create a tie in with ssr? I know ssr is our least favorite dvc-- maybe with the new bridge saving us from walking along the highway to get to dtd, we will have more af a reason to go--- provided they bring some good clubs back.

No nightclubs would still = no visit or extra $ spent here for us. Really, this is the best they could come up with?

No nightclubs would still = no visit or extra $ spent here for us. Really, this is the best they could come up with?

Since there are few details, we still don't know if any nightclubs will be part of this. The fact that the PI section is off by itself certainly makes it possible for an adult-only area to exist late at night. But it could be that several restaurants turn into night clubs after 10pm like they do at CityWalk, rather than places that are nightclubs only.

BobK/Orlando

Like all the ideas, just hope they do something in near future. Like to visit Fuego's when we are home to OKW and would like the back of their shop opened up again. Hate the wall.

Like all the ideas, just hope they do something in near future. Like to visit Fuego's when we are home to OKW and would like the back of their shop opened up again. Hate the wall.

There's still the front patio. I think the rear will remain walled-off for a long time to come still.

BobK/Orlando

Since there are few details, we still don't know if any nightclubs will be part of this. The fact that the PI section is off by itself certainly makes it possible for an adult-only area to exist late at night. But it could be that several restaurants turn into night clubs after 10pm like they do at CityWalk, rather than places that are nightclubs only.

BobK/Orlando

Hopefully!

~DisneySprings??? It looks like this is the end of nightclubs at DTD. The name alone is such a drastic change, it totally redefines the purpose of the area. This sounds like an extension of POR and Old Key West. Good, wholesome family fun & dining -- I just hope the place doesn't shut down at 6PM! I wonder if Cirque will survive?

~DisneySprings??? It looks like this is the end of nightclubs at DTD. The name alone is such a drastic change, it totally redefines the purpose of the area. This sounds like an extension of POR and Old Key West. Good, wholesome family fun & dining -- I just hope the place doesn't shut down at 6PM! I wonder if Cirque will survive?

Nothing about the plan touches West Side (although it said something about an "overhead railroad" - like a model one?), and I don't see it as any sort of resort extension. It appears to solve on major problem that caused the death of PI - whether that means there is hope at some level of return of some clubs remains to be seen. I think that it at least raises hopes a bit.

What I'm wondering is where they are going to get tenants for all the new buildings, when they for years couldn't get tenants for the existing ones...

Nothing about the plan touches West Side (although it said something about an "overhead railroad" - like a model one?), and I don't see it as any sort of resort extension. It appears to solve on major problem that caused the death of PI - whether that means there is hope at some level of return of some clubs remains to be seen. I think that it at least raises hopes a bit.

What I'm wondering is where they are going to get tenants for all the new buildings, when they for years couldn't get tenants for the existing ones...
~Hey doc -- what is an "overhead railroad?" And, when you think of "Disney Springs" don't you envision, fresh frozen custard with caramel from the farm. It sounds wholesome & countrified in a good way. It's a huge relief that the plans don't extend to West side! I still have hope for a lively fun night scene at Disney. We'll see.

at city walk all the clubs are situated on the upper level and separate from the restaurants. west side is doing ok because of the restaurants and now splitsville and disney does need something for adults at night. I think however they want third party ownership like splitville and atlantic dancehall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!