So What's Coming to the New Pleasure Island?

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Disco

Disco Hail Eris!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MJMcBride

MJMcBride Barely lost is barely found

that would be great. parking stinks there

4. KINGBOBOFTHENORTH

KINGBOBOFTHENORTH DIS Veteran

Today marks 4 years since the Pleasure Island comedy and dance clubs were shuttered. During these 4 years Rock'n'Roll Beach Club and Motion were demolished. The other clubs, Mannequins, 8TRAX, Soundstage, Comedy Warehouse & Adventurers Club were closed and remain idle. In other words, absolutely nothing new has replaced any of the PI clubs. Nothing.

BobK/Orlando
    SAVE PLEASURE ISLAND BLOG

5. KINGBOBOFTHENORTH

KINGBOBOFTHENORTH DIS Veteran

With Splitsville opening next week at Downtown Disney West Side, a LOT of former Pleasure Island regulars will be there to check out the DJ and dancing offered during the opening weekend. In case you missed it, upstairs at Splitsville will be adult-only on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

BobK/Orlando

6. Mouse14

Mouse14 Wish I was at the Lodge

Will the upstairs be like a "club" like scene or what?

7. Disneyandphilliesfan

Disneyandphilliesfan Mouseketeer

They will never reopen Comedy Warehouse I found out.

8. sehandiph

sehandiph Mouseketeer

I wish they would have reopened the adventurers club - they could have done it as a dining themed evening - a course during each performance - even if it was spread out over several hours.

I am sure they would have made money rather than the odd drinks people bought. I saw some people who stayed for most of the evening who only had one round of drinks in all that time - so there was always loads of scope to make it more profitable.

Kungaloosh
    Shezzy

9. skier_pete

skier_pete None

The problem with AC as dinner theatre is Disney would never let it go that long. You would have two or three performances a night, limited to 90 minutes. (Picture AC as HDDR.) Not saying that that wouldn't be better than the version we have NOW. I suppose you could make it so each performance is different, and therefore eventually you could see the whole rotation by going three times, but that would get mighty expensive.

10. beer dave

beer dave Master of the obvious

Aren't the locals a big part of why they closed PI? Everyone would go frequently on their season pass, buy one drink (if that) and stay there all night? I recall every time I went to the AC seeing the same people in the same seats in the main room reciting the same lines with the cast. A little Rocky Horror esque.

Ever go in the BET towards the end? How about manequins?

11. doconeill

doconeill Fastpass Jedi Master DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Wouldn't "more expensive" == "more income" ? :)

I'm not sure why you say "Disney would never let it go that long." They already have HDDR and Spirit of Aloha. Except if there are three varying shows, the chance for repeat business is I think higher...

12. CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy <font color=green><br><br><font color=blue>Me and Moderator

I expect to check it out on my early January trip for exactly those reasons.. Hoping to see some ol 8 Trax regulars there maybe..

13. Luv2Roam

Luv2Roam Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special is approaching! :cool1::worship::banana::thumbsup2
    Starts Dec 23!!! :woohoo:And a larger theatre!! :wizard:

14. Luv2Roam

Luv2Roam Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

Went yesterday. It was great to be qued' in a line in front of a newer looking theatre waiting for CW. Good times, good memories. :smokin:

15. CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy <font color=green><br><br><font color=blue>Me and Moderator

So this is at the "Premier" theatre? Which one is that exactly?

16. ImprovGal

ImprovGal <font color=green>No animals were harmed in the ma

It used to be the theatre for Hunchback. They enclosed it and have been using it for special events like the Star Wars Weekends presentations.

17. Jason71

Jason71 Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Were you down? Did not see you Sunday/Monday.

Theater is to the right of Lightning McQueen/Mater, sort of tucked away behind Streets of America.

I fought the crowds and caught 5 shows earlier this week (after planning on only seeing one)--the cast has been on fire, home runs every show. Definitely catch it if you can. I'll say this--if the shows on PI had been as consistently funny as these are, I would have spent a lot less time across the street at the Adventurers Club.

18. ImprovGal

ImprovGal <font color=green>No animals were harmed in the ma

Yes, I was down there. I caught all 12 shows Sunday-Monday before I headed home on Tuesday. :)

I was usually sitting on the left down in front (either the first or 2nd row). They used several of my suggestions (including one that I gave at the last show on Sunday, but used as a callback in the first show on Monday -- mad props to Jeannette for that one!).

19. stindall

stindall Congress Tart

What happened to the whole Hyperion Wharf thing?

20. zulemara

zulemara <font color=royalblue>Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!<br

Disney officially announced the plans are being re-worked. IE the whole thing is dead

21. doconeill

doconeill Fastpass Jedi Master DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Like the plans before that, and the ones before that... :)

Disney has announced a fair number of things that never came to pass...