So tired of the store bought boiled peanuts

donaldduck352

<font color=red><marquee>Proud Redhead</marquee><b
They used to be people selling boiled GREEN peanuts on the side of the road all the time here in the south,there not now.The only ones you can get is from the local convienence store and they are like eating flavored pinto beans!!

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade Green peanuts?

We got a farmers marcket 1/2hr drive away when the season comes.So getting them is not a problem..

I throw them in a crock pot with water and some salt. Here is what I posted on the Crock pot crazy thread...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=275509&page=38

Can't get them here in the North.:sad2: I love them. So easy to make. I have only made salted ones, but I am sure you can make cajun and other flavors, by adding seasoning to the crockpot.

1 pound of raw peanuts (or as much or as little as you want and will fit in the crockpot)
water
salt

Put peanuts in crockpot, cover with water add salt. Cook on high for couple of hours. I think I cook them about 4 -5 hours.

Peanuts float, so you can weigh them down by putting a plate on top or just stir them periodically.

Yum!

Do you take them out opf the shells? (Sorry, that's probably a dumb question!) I doubt the ones we get are fresh enough, even in the shells?

Boiled peanuts are one of my most favorites foods in the universe. Just take your fresh green peanuts, dump in a big ol' pot, cover with water and plenty of salt. Just let them boil until they reach the doneness you prefer. They will soak up salt if you let them sit in the water, so keep that in mind as well. Yum!!! As a side note, the only ones I'll eat that I haven't cooked are the Peanut Patch cans - they are not that good (but not horrible either), but when that's all you can get, I'll take them!

the only ones I'll eat that I haven't cooked are the Peanut Patch cans - they are not that good (but not horrible either), but when that's all you can get, I'll take them!

Yeah I ate them before also.There ok in a pinch.

Thank you all for your recipes.

mel63,I placed a order lastnight for 2 5lbs bags from that website.I can't wate till they come in!!

Do you take them out opf the shells? (Sorry, that's probably a dumb question!) I doubt the ones we get are fresh enough, even in the shells?

I'm sure that nutsonline will ship across the pond.If you never had them before your missing out on some great comfort food!!

A bowl of boiled peanuts and a cold one,it don't get any better.:thumbsup2

I guess they'll also be less fattening than your regular salted/dry roast peanuts but with health benefits?:goodvibes

I'll check the site out - its likely to be the postage that stops me, as even on scrapbook supplies it can be as much again as the products :headache:

ETA they don't send to the UK but are "happy to send them anywhere in the US". what then - I go collect them? :confused: Oh well

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter