Sneaky parking tricks......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm...controversial issues are usually the most fun to debate. Alot more frun than the best Minnie outfit or what kind of shorts to wear in the Fall in my opinion.

To answer the OP, no I have never done it and I never will. I also don't drive in the left lane (knowing it will end soon and seeing a 1/2 mile line of cars in the right lane) and then force myself over to merge at the last moment to reduce my own personal wait time. I don't thnk I am better than anyone else and if there is a line, I will stand and wait my turn because thinking you deserve any more is selfsish in inconsiderate.

I don't base my morals on what is "legal" or "against the rules", but I have a general code I like to live by and looking for the grey area or the easy way out just isn't it.

FYI: Little known fact: it is actually more efficient, and it reduces traffic congestion to merge as late as possible. All of those people that you describe who are merging at the last moment are actually making traffic flow better! You should thank them, and you should do it yourself! :thumbsup2

Valet(paid) allows parking all day......just not overnight

What about if you have the TIW card which gives you Valet parking if you are dining at a resort? Can you keep your car there all day?

FYI: Little known fact: it is actually more efficient, and it reduces traffic congestion to merge as late as possible. All of those people that you describe who are merging at the last moment are actually making traffic flow better! You should thank them, and you should do it yourself! :thumbsup2

I always thought it did so i just looked it up and its been proven true.

Parking at the theme parks is not free if you are not staying at a WDW resort. It is (I think) $15 per day.

Parking at resorts near theme parks is limited to 3 hours (e.g. for a meal), which is why you'll get towed if you take OP's advice.

You could park at DTD for free and take the bus to your resort. To me that sounds like a pain in the butt. I am not sure if that is against any rules.

ETA: Oops, you can't take a bus directly from DTD to a theme park. That makes it even more of a pain in the butt.

Small point of correction: daily parking is still $14.

Assuming that's true, I'm relatively certain drivers who do this are not thinking of me and my improved traffic flow as they blow on past. ;)

Where did I speak to the efficiency of where to merge? Again, I do not set my morals based on traffic efficiency. I set them on the right thing to do and what I would want to be done to me.

You do not merge at the very end to help releive traffic congestion. You do it to cut everyone waiting in line and you justify it with the efficiency claim.

When there is construction, I leave earlier. I plan for delays and understand when there are lane closures it will take some adjusting on my part. :thumbsup2

Where did I speak to the efficiency of where to merge? Again, I do not set my morals based on traffic efficiency. I set them on the right thing to do and what I would want to be done to me.

Hmmm... I guess we could get into a debate over morality and traffic congestion... :lmao:

Suppose you are on a four-lane (two lanes in each direction) highway with no construction. Do you think the "right thing to do" is for everyone to only drive in the right lane? Is anyone who chooses to pass in the left lane doing something "immoral"?

:confused3

You do not merge at the very end to help releive traffic congestion. You do it to cut everyone waiting in line and you justify it with the efficiency claim.

When there is construction, I leave earlier. I plan for delays and understand when there are lane closures it will take some adjusting on my part. :thumbsup2

or he learned that its helps traffic congestion and now does it.

.......Alot more fun than the best Minnie outfit or what kind of shorts to wear in the Fall in my opinion........

Or which color flip-flops to wear on sunny days......or.......are the popcorn bags the same size in MK as they are in AK

.......and I am guilty of asking what I deem "silly" questions as well......it's all in fun.............carry on! popcorn::

I'm relatively certain drivers who do this are not thinking of me and my improved traffic flow as they blow on past. ;)

Exactly, but it helps him sleep at night.

His claims are kinda off based anyway. What he is referring to is discussed in this paper:

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz/workshops/accessible/McCoy.htm

To summarize, late merging works best when both lanes are used to merge, it is done at low speeds and it is practiced by people in both lanes. Late merging is not more effective when it is on;y done by a few people looking for a shortcut.

I can predict the future of this thread:

1) 90% of respondents will say "no, I've never done it and never will"

2) 10% will say "I do it all the time, what's the big deal"

3) Name-calling and general mayhem will ensue, with accusations of various major character defects.

4) Someone will report the thread.

5) Some poor moderator will have to stop work or whatever else they were doing to close a thread on this topic for the 47,342rd time.

6) Someone will stir the very same pot next week.

This also works for posts on sneaking kids into theme parks, re-using refillable mugs, pool-hopping, cramming extra people into resort rooms....did I forget anything? :lmao:

Suppose you are on a four-lane (two lanes in each direction) highway with no construction. Do you think the "right thing to do" is for everyone to only drive in the right lane? Is anyone who chooses to pass in the left lane doing something "immoral"?

:confused3

No, on a highway, in most states, the left lane is for passing. Travelers should remain in the right lane leaving the left for faster travelers who are passing. That makes sense, is fair to all drivers and also happens to be the law.

I thought there was a 3 hour window to park at a resort if you had an ADR there and they can ask to see your res/conf number when you arrive at the gate. While I've heard that some have done it, I've always heard that some have been towed doing it.

Exactly, but it helps him sleep at night.

His claims are kinda off based anyway. What he is referring to is discussed in this paper:

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz/workshops/accessible/McCoy.htm

To summarize, late merging works best when both lanes are used to merge, it is done at low speeds and it is practiced by people in both lanes. Late merging is not more effective when it is on;y done by a few people looking for a shortcut.

Why am I all of a sudden such a jerk for just pointing out a simple (but little-known) fact about traffic congestion? :confused3 ;)

I just read through the paper that you cited, and it looks to me like its conclusion is the same as what I originally said: late merging reduces congestion.

Alas, I am afraid that my one-man quest to get everyone in the planet to drive more responsibly and efficiently at merge points is doomed to fail because of prejudgements like these...

:rotfl2:

I can predict the future of this thread:

1) 90% of respondents will say "no, I've never done it and never will"

2) 10% will say "I do it all the time, what's the big deal"

3) Name-calling and general mayhem will ensue, with accusations of various major character defects.

4) Someone will report the thread.

5) Some poor moderator will have to stop work or whatever else they were doing to close a thread on this topic for the 47,342rd time.

6) Someone will stir the very same pot next week.

This also works for posts on sneaking kids into theme parks, re-using refillable mugs, pool-hopping, cramming extra people into resort rooms....did I forget anything? :lmao:

I'm no DIS Veteran...but that sounds about right to me :rotfl:

We just moved to a different state, and I'm a big dork so I was actually studying for my driver's license exam :rolleyes1 and this was covered in the manual. They tell you NOT to merge early and instead to wait until the "point of merger" in order to relieve traffic congestion. So, now I wait to merge, per the DOT's guidance. It's not my fault if everyone else doesn't know that traffic congestion is relieved by waiting to merge. I guess more people should read DOT publications. :lmao:

I think this thread belongs on the Transportation Board, and should be moved.

... if for no other reason than we discuss this topic, ad nauseam. In addition, it will help my arguments as to why we appear to be caustic on the board, when we are simply trying to provide helpful info...such as DON'T CHEAT THE SYSTEM!!!!!!! :lmao:

To Mark, why do you need to go and stir the pot :stir: then be defensive that answers seem a little aggressive? In fact, this topic, thus far, is EXTREMELY tame as to how it could (or would be) otherwise. It's just ungood, and a simple search for related threads would have yielded the information you (allegedly) seek. :sad2:

To the Mods, please move this to the Transportation board, so we can get em :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

We just moved to a different state, and I'm a big dork so I was actually studying for my driver's license exam :rolleyes1 and this was covered in the manual. They tell you NOT to merge early and instead to wait until the "point of merger" in order to relieve traffic congestion. So, now I wait to merge, per the DOT's guidance. It's not my fault if everyone else doesn't know that traffic congestion is relieved by waiting to merge. I guess more people should read DOT publications. :lmao:

Unfortunately, people will still think that you are an inconsiderate jerk for following directions. :confused3

I just read through the paper that you cited, and it looks to me like its conclusion is the same as what I originally said: late merging reduces congestion.

I might recommend you re-read what you read because that is not what it states, thus the not so common misconception that late merging (when the majority of people are merging early) does reduce traffic congestion.

The

You're trying to apply a late merge techniquie to a conventional merge setup, thus adding to the congesiton. Late merging only reduces congestion when it is set up, marked, signed and practiced by the majority, not the minority looking to cut the line.

Your crusade to set order to the civilized traffic world may need to resume another day or start with another topic. This one has lost it's fizz for you.

Umm...controversial issues are usually the most fun to debate. Alot more frun than the best Minnie outfit or what kind of shorts to wear in the Fall in my opinion.

To answer the OP, no I have never done it and I never will. I also don't drive in the left lane (knowing it will end soon and seeing a 1/2 mile line of cars in the right lane) and then force myself over to merge at the last moment to reduce my own personal wait time. I don't thnk I am better than anyone else and if there is a line, I will stand and wait my turn because thinking you deserve any more is selfsish in inconsiderate.

I don't base my morals on what is "legal" or "against the rules", but I have a general code I like to live by and looking for the grey area or the easy way out just isn't it.

Well Said!:thumbsup2

Here's a question for you in return.

You're a DVC member, right? Say that you drove into your DVC resort at Boardwalk or Bay Lake and the Security guy said to you, "Oh ... I'm sorry sir, but all of the parking spaces are full with people who chose to park here for the theme parks today in order to avoid the parking fee. You'll have to find somewhere else to park."

How likely are you to be okay with that? You've paid extra money to stay at that resort. You're a DVC member and paying extra for that. But you can't park at your resort because a bunch of other people are using your lot for free parking.

Does that affect your POV at all?

:earsboy:

:thumbsup2

They tell you NOT to merge early and instead to wait until the "point of merger" in order to relieve traffic congestion. So, now I wait to merge, per the DOT's guidance. It's not my fault if everyone else doesn't know that traffic congestion is relieved by waiting to merge. I guess more people should read DOT publications. :lmao:

The theory being applied here is that the end of the merge lane is the only entry point. So, it creates a sigle merge area at the end of the merge lane and not people randomly merging where they can. This uses both lanes to merge into one using a zipper system.

This works when a late merge approach / zipper system is actually in place. By law (again, you are not required to leave a lane or merge until instructed to do so or it is necessary).

What people are referring to (here is a good read from the state of MN http://www.dot.state.mn.us/trafficeng/workzone/doc/When-latemerge-zipper.pdf) and is popping up more and more, but make no mistakes. it only relieves congestion when it is set up and practiced by the morotirs, not by a select few.

When discussing what is legal, sure merge whenever you would like, but unless you see the sign that says "Use both lanes to merge", they have a conventional merge set up and merging late adds to the congestion.

With that, I am having nightmares of the job I just left after 15 years and I say good luck to all who fight the good fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter