snakes and alligators

We stayed in the 500 loop, across from the dog park, in 2013 and saw a small gator in the canal there behind the dog park. But the dog park is well fenced, and your dog shouldn't be running loose outside of the dog park, so you should be fine.

We did not see a single snake while there - and we were there for 11 nights. We did see deer, turkeys, squirrels, lizards, and an armadillo.

Been going to Fort for 15 years , yes a handful of snakes only two ever seemed aggressive.
Last year saw alligator for first time about four feet in the canal at the group camping area parking lot.

I've never seen a snake or alligator but doesn't mean there not there. Now kind of worries me about not seeing a snake. I guess I need to be more observant! LOL! Years ago we woke up and a deer(we called Bambi) was next to our camper! Last fall I stayed at Pop , ground level next to lake and something woke me up crawling across my arm! I jumped up screaming, scared my husband to death, and he claimed I was dreaming! I Argued no I wasn't! He threw back the blanket and sheets and a huge water bug, roach or whatever had crawled in our bed! Never had that happened to me camping! Maybe killed a few flies, mosquito's, ants or bees that have gotten in the camper! LOL! But never no bugs in my bed! LOL! We checked the bed and room good and found nothing else but it grossed me out! LOL! It kind of ruined my week for sleeping! LOL!

My wife is the one who spots the snakes on our visits to The Fort :scared1:. So far twice in around 6 trips. This last trip in January she found the little beauty in the tree just off the edge of our awning.

IMG_0278.JPG

He stayed there all day and went away that night as it got chilly. Didn't see him afterwards. He didn't bother us or our dogs and we didn't bother him. :earsboy:

I hear there is an alligator on Peter Pan's flight !!!

Isn't it a crocodile? Not nearly as scary unless you are Captain Hook :)

This last trip in January she found the little beauty in the tree just off the edge of our awning.

Do you know what kind of snake that is? Poisonous or not?

I would never think to look up in a tree for a snake!

Years ago I was picked to be in the Indiana Jones stunt show. My role was to see a snake and scream. I looked up and screamed and the guy laughed at me and said snakes would be on the ground. In the jungle? I would look in trees in the jungle, but also would have not thought to look up camping at FW.

We've stated at the Fort 7 times and have never seen a snake. Seen 2 alligators there last year. Got a CM and they walked over and looked at them and said they weren't big enough to worry about. My wife sure did worry about our 2 kids every time they walked near the canals. 3 years ago we seen a pretty large snapping turtle under the steps of a neighbors camper. We got a CM and the removed it. I would be afraid of stepping out of my camper the thing grabbing the back of my foot. Seen a few armadillos and deer. I will say after seeing the picture of that snake in the tree I'll be looking up as much as I look down.

Do you know what kind of snake that is? Poisonous or not?

Sorry, we don't know snakes well enough to know for sure. We were fairly certain it was not poisonous based on the shape of its head. Also a quick Google search didn't match any images of poisonous snakes of Florida, but we didn't fool with him to find out! I have a higher resolution version of the picture if anyone wants to try and ID the type.

As for up in a tree, yes he was, but not way up. He was right at the end of our open awning on our class C or about 7 feet up. I tool the picture by standing on the seat of our picnic table.

Ive been going to FW, 4-5 times/year for years. I have never seen either a snake or an alligator. That's not to say that they're not there, they are, but Ive had Disney pilots on the boats going and coming from MK tell me that if they catch a gator >5 feet in length, they capture and release it in a wildlife refuge off Disney property.

My wife is the one who spots the snakes on our visits to The Fort :scared1:. So far twice in around 6 trips. This last trip in January she found the little beauty in the tree just off the edge of our awning.

IMG_0278.JPG

He stayed there all day and went away that night as it got chilly. Didn't see him afterwards. He didn't bother us or our dogs and we didn't bother him. :earsboy:

Oh, no, that scares me to death! I can't even look at the picture - never dreamed there were such things in the trees at the Fort. Knowing that thing was there I would have been terrified to open our mh door with the awning right there!!!

I would be calling for a CM pronto - that is, when I could stop screaming! Not kidding, I am totally irrational when it comes to any kind of snake. Will be looking all round me, especially at night when we get there in 1 1/2 wks.
Anyone there then, better be forewarned if they hear any blood curdling screams! I totally haaaattttteeee snakes!!

We've stated at the Fort 7 times and have never seen a snake. Seen 2 alligators there last year. Got a CM and they walked over and looked at them and said they weren't big enough to worry about. My wife sure did worry about our 2 kids every time they walked near the canals. 3 years ago we seen a pretty large snapping turtle under the steps of a neighbors camper. We got a CM and the removed it. I would be afraid of stepping out of my camper the thing grabbing the back of my foot. Seen a few armadillos and deer. I will say after seeing the picture of that snake in the tree I'll be looking up as much as I look down.

They really don't worry about the alligators until they pose a danger. The reason is because in Florida, alligators are almost never relocated. They are destroyed--or very occasionally brought to places like Gatorland. Relocated alligators would return to wherever they were found--it's their home, after all. So, while CMs might tell you they are given a new home, Florida Fish and Wildlife will tell you the truth.

The reason is because in Florida, alligators are almost never relocated. They are destroyed--or very occasionally brought to places like Gatorland. Relocated alligators would return to wherever they were found--it's their home, after all. So, while CMs might tell you they are given a new home, Florida Fish and Wildlife will tell you the truth.

That's horrible. It seems like there are enough uninhabited areas where they could take the gators. I doubt that they would walk 20 miles to get back to their "home"; I'll have to research that.

I would be calling for a CM pronto

Me too! Even if it wasn't poisonous I wouldn't want it hanging out near my site.

That's horrible. It seems like there are enough uninhabited areas where they could take the gators. I doubt that they would walk 20 miles to get back to their "home"; I'll have to research that.

Nope, it's true. Here's a quote from myfwc.com(Fl fish and wildlife's website)

Why does the FWC not relocate nuisance alligators in Florida?
Florida has a healthy and stable alligator population. We have about 1.3 million alligators in Florida. Alligators live in all 67 counties, and they inhabit all wild areas of Florida that can support them. The removal of nuisance alligators does not have a significant impact on our state's alligator population.

Relocated alligators often try to return to their capture site. They can create problems for people or other alligators along the way. If an alligator successfully returns, capturing it again would be necessary and likely more difficult the second time.

To avoid creating a problem at the release site, nuisance alligators would need to be relocated to remote areas where they would not encounter people. These remote areas already have healthy alligator populations, and the ones that already live there have established social structures. The introduction of a new alligator to these areas would likely cause fighting, possibly resulting in the death of a resident alligator or the introduced alligator.

It makes sense from a safety standpoint but it just doesn't seem right. I hope at least they give the alligators to a place that can use them for food. Locally our geese (goose?) population was causing a problem in a county park so they were going to capture them and send them to a food production facility. It just seems sad whether they get eaten or not.

Thanks for looking that up - it was on my list of things to look into. I guess I just didn't want to believe that they kill the larger gators.

IMG_0278.JPG

Ok taking the Fort off my bucket list.

It is a beautiful specimen though, looks very healthy, must not be a shortage of food supply...

It makes sense from a safety standpoint but it just doesn't seem right. I hope at least they give the alligators to a place that can use them for food. Locally our geese (goose?) population was causing a problem in a county park so they were going to capture them and send them to a food production facility. It just seems sad whether they get eaten or not.

Thanks for looking that up - it was on my list of things to look into. I guess I just didn't want to believe that they kill the larger gators.

I actually learned the information first-hand when I called to report a small alligator behind my home years ago. They told me to call back when the alligator became a nuisance--otherwise they'd have to destroy it. There's really nothing that can be done. We are in their territory. It's either them or us, and I seriously doubt everyone visiting WDW is willing to co-exist with gators (as evidenced by the very existence of this thread). Most Floridians, however, just ignore them until they threaten us. It's really not that big of a deal. Most alligators stay away from highly populated areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter