snakes and alligators

That's horrible. It seems like there are enough uninhabited areas where they could take the gators.

LOL, guess they seem like sort of a novelty to you because you don't have them up 'north', but we grew up knowing they were around, and not minding at all when they were destroyed - later they were protected - then, again they multiplied so fast, they're not endangered anymore, so they can destroy the nuisance/dangerous ones. The swamps and bayous are full of them.

LOL, guess they seem like sort of a novelty to you because you don't have them up 'north'

I understand where you are coming from. They are not a "novelty" to me I just hate to see any animal destroyed unless it has actually hurt someone or been overly aggressive.

I understand where you are coming from. They are not a "novelty" to me I just hate to see any animal destroyed unless it has actually hurt someone or been overly aggressive.

Well, unfortunately, an alligator is not your 'run of the mill' animal - once it's 'known' to become a nuisance, it usually means it has killed or mauled
(usually killed) a family pet or human. Yes, this happens.

I guess once it has hurt or killed someone it's a little too late to decide it's a nuisance. I didn't realize that alligators were that aggressive. It makes me wonder why they aren't "relocated" until they reach 7 feet (?).

Guess in one respect, gators are not really aggressive, but if they see something that may 'look' like food to them 'close' by - they will charge and get it. They can flat run fast on land even though they look lazy and laid back! :scared:

The only one I've ever seen at Disney was at AK from the Flame Tree eating area on the water. He was down below and was a small one 18-24" long. Have heard others report of larger ones - I don't want to see any there when I'm camping! :worried:

IMG_0278.JPG

My wife is the one who spots the snakes on our visits to The Fort :scared1:. So far twice in around 6 trips. This last trip in January she found the little beauty in the tree just off the edge of our awning.

IMG_0278.JPG

He stayed there all day and went away that night as it got chilly. Didn't see him afterwards. He didn't bother us or our dogs and we didn't bother him. :earsboy:

That looks like a corn snake. Common here in FL and harmless. They do like to climb trees.

Sorry, disregard above post - posted all by itself before I replied!!:-)

Showed dh the pic of the snake and he said it was a Burmese Python! Yikes! If anyone sees this again please report it as it definitely needs to be 'removed'!!

During Hurricane Andrew a breeding facility (yuk) was torn up and all the snakes got loose. They have had 'hunting' seasons on them, and only kill a few considering how many are out there. They grow to 15ft.!!!!! People also get them as pets (? - how) and turn them loose illegally when they tire of them. They are constrictors and I can't believe how one is 'on the loose' at FW. Hope he has been taken care of by now. :worried:

That's horrible. It seems like there are enough uninhabited areas where they could take the gators. I doubt that they would walk 20 miles to get back to their "home"; I'll have to research that.

Me too! Even if it wasn't poisonous I wouldn't want it hanging out near my site.

We have that problem with Black Bears here in PA, you can trap it and take it an hour away and it will find it's way back. We tag them when they are captured so we can track them. The state also radio collars bears to track them. But they will travel a long way, so it's not too surprised that gators are the same way.

I don't want to see any there when I'm camping!

I'm right there with you....although I also wouldn't want to not see it!

Showed dh the pic of the snake and he said it was a Burmese Python!

Well at least it isn't poisonous or big enough to eat my dog :) I have read about the problems they are having with these snakes - changing the ecosystem because they don't belong there.

you can trap it and take it an hour away and it will find it's way back

So glad that didn't happen with the 5 skunks they pulled out from under my deck. I made the guy swear on his children's lives that he relocates them...I'm not even going to think about it.

The only snake I have seen at the fort was at the comfort station on jack rabbit run. A 3ft black snake (not poisonous). I have seen a couple small gators around the world. Last time we were eating at the new quick service Mexican place on world showcase. Sitting there on the water and what swims by, a little 2 foot gator.

Do corn snakes get that large? It looks like at least 3 feet of snake in the picture, and the tail isn't showing. I'm a horrible judge of size so maybe I'm way off.

Sitting there on the water and what swims by, a little 2 foot gator.

I wonder what those 2 footers eat? As long as it's not 65 pound greyhounds I'm not too worried about them.

they do constrict they're prey

Which makes them a little less scary in my book - compared to those that bite that is.

I just Googled corn snakes to see what they look like. None looked quite as pretty as the one posted here and I am probably going to have nightmares.

A few years ago, I saw a black snake off my patio at OKW. I was, um, vocal about my discovery. Not a fan of snakes, but hey, it's Florida!

How big was it? And how far from the sites? I hope they don't put me by the water (I requested loop 300).

Actually it was my cousin that took the picture. He was there in June and it was his first time to the fort. I told him about the alligators we seen in the canal by the pool in March and sure enough he seen his own. He said it was 3-4 feet long. Just sitting out sunning by the water. Never bothered anyone. Just sat there soaking up the sun.

Sorry, disregard above post - posted all by itself before I replied!!:-)

Showed dh the pic of the snake and he said it was a Burmese Python! Yikes! If anyone sees this again please report it as it definitely needs to be 'removed'!!

That is definitely not a burmese python. The markings on a burmese python are brown, dark brown, and black and the pattern is much bolder. I agree that the coloring on this guy looks more like a rat snake (aka the corn snake). They are known to be good climbers. I learned from our local wildlife park guy that venomous snakes will have slit pupils and non-venomous snakes will have round pupils. I don't plan to get close enough to see their eyes though!

There are only four venomous snakes found in the Central Florida area: the eastern coral snake, the Florida cottonmouth, also known as the water moccasin, the dusky pygmy rattlesnake, and the eastern diamondback rattlesnake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!