Smokers at WDW

Congratulations to those who have quit or are trying to quit. I have never smoked but my mother did. I saw her try to quit and know it was hard. She smoked from the time she was 13. She quit at one point for 3 years and then started back because my aunt had one and it "looked so good". My mother died at the age of 55 from congested heart failure. Please don't encourage those who are tyring to quit to sit in the smoking areas with their ecigs. My children (ages 5 and 8) never got a chance to know their grandmother.

I have 2 different kinds of ecigs. Just got them about a month ago. I specifically got one with the blue LED tip, just so there's no way is could ever look like a cig. I haven't tried it out yet in a place where smoking is prohibited, but I already have informational cards made up about them - what they are, what they aren't, that the "smoke" is just vapor, and so on. Also, if you don't exhale right away, there is no vapor emitted.

I will say that for anyone with money to invest, this would be a great business to get into.

Hi all

I see this is a thread from 2009 and I was wondering if, as of end 2012, there are still smoking areas in the Theme Parks and in the Resorts ( WDW Art of Animation particularly) or where those areas drastically reduced or completely eliminated by now?

Also how about e-cigarettes - can they be smoked "anywhere" or just in those designated areas?

Thank you!

I'm married to a smoker. The last 2 times we went, I used the map and had a little card I laminated for each park with the locations of the smoking areas. It helped a lot. And, he could go smoke while my son and I found the restrooms. We didn't waste time looking for the designated areas, but, of course, I felt we wasted the 5 minutes while he smoked! But, that's a different story! ;)

LOL I completely agree. We are going to use that time to use the Disney apps to determine what FP times are available, what has a short standby,etc, PRECISELY so that I don't feel like I'm wasting precious Disney time in the smoking section. At least we won't have to try to organize our next move in a busy thoroughfare.

Yes there are still designated smoking areas at all parks and resorts.

There is no specific regulation of e-cigarettes that discharge water vapor but earlier posts on this thread suggests that in order to avoid the hassle that occurs when guests or CMs think the e-cigarette smoker is actually using a regular cigarette outside of a smoking area, they may want to stick to the smoking areas as well.

Any recommendations on a brand of e-cig? I've been looking into them but have no idea if any are better tasting or more effective? would love some info!
I REALLY like the Janty Dura-C. It looks nothing like a cigarette (more like an ink pen). They have a long life, many ways to recharge, and their flavors are among the best.

Bayou, I'm with you. I use a Var Volt gripper with Vivi Nova tank (see pic below). A lot of people aren't aware there is a whole other world out there of electronic cigarettes that work much better than the ones you buy over the counter at Walgreens. Not only do they feel like you're smoking, the juice comes in hundreds of flavors which makes it palatable. I'm going to WDW in 5 days and the one thing I'm worried about is someone is going to see my rig and think I'm getting high? It looks like drug paraphernalia.

3-1.jpg

I used my Ego-T system there last year and had a few people question me as to whether I was using a vaporizer :rotfl2:

One couple walked up to me and said "man, I can't believe you're doing that out in the open like that!" I just explained that it wasn't a vaporizer but an electronic cig.

I used in around smoking areas as my mother in law was with us and she still smokes, but I also used it while walking in other areas and had no issues at all.

ltex said:
I realize that it is not the topic at hand, but I honestly care for people and try to encourage them to quit when appropriate.

Nothing sadder than seeing a total laryngectomy patient in front of hospital in a robe, IV pole and oxygen canula smoking through a stoma. I often wonder if he/she would like a "do-over".

To all those who have told stories of quitting or being on the road to quitting. Congrats on your accomplishment! After 30 days you substantially lowered your risk of heart attack, stroke, COPD and cancer.

Well said..

My parents are planning their first trip in April (with us). We are not smokers so we never paid attention to smoking areas.

They smoke quite a bit and I am concerned that a large portion of time is going to be spent hunting down smoking areas.

How many areas are there in each park? Is there a map of them available? We are staying at PORS - where is the smoking area at the hotel?

Any comments from smokers (or non-smokers that have travelled with smokers) on how they coped?

There are designated spots, one I remember specifically was over by Big Thunder. But there are those people who will smoke anywhere, and I witnessed a cast member telling people to put out the cigarette.

There are designated spots, one I remember specifically was over by Big Thunder. But there are those people who will smoke anywhere, and I witnessed a cast member telling people to put out the cigarette.

I was going to point the PP to this thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1482684 (well I guess I did) but realized that this thread is a zombie thread and is 3 years old. Also their trip was 2 and half years ago.

Warning Zombie thread

CAREFUL I AM APPROACHING MY SOAP BOX

As a health care professional smoking is a topic very near to me and my practice. Every day I treat smokers who have had heart attacks, cancer, COPD, and strokes directly related to smoking.

If you smoke, please consider quitting. You will never do a more healthy thing for you or your family.

It is very sad to see the destruction of families caused by smoking like I see every day.

Some random smoking facts:

Cigarettes contain more than 4000 chemical compounds and at least 400 toxic substances.

Research has shown that smoking reduces life expectancy by seven to eight years.

The number of people under the age of 70 who die from smoking-related diseases exceeds the total figure for deaths caused by breast cancer, AIDS, traffic accidents and drug addiction.

Children who grow up in a home where one or both of their parents smoke have twice the risk of getting asthma and asthmatic bronchitis. They also have a higher risk of developing allergies.

Infants under two years old are more prone to severe respiratory infections and cot death.

Ninety percent of lung cancer cases are due to smoking.
If no-one smoked, lung cancer would be a rare diagnosis - only 0.5 per cent of people who've never touched a cigarette develop lung cancer.

I am a non-smoker and both of my parents smoked and eventually passed away from cancer (as did several aunts and uncles). But, while I believe and agree with your post, I don't feel it was the proper time and place to post it.

I am a non-smoker and both of my parents smoked and eventually passed away from cancer (as did several aunts and uncles). But, while I believe and agree with your post, I don't feel it was the proper time and place to post it.

FYI.......

You do realize that was posted over 3 years ago, right? :)

And, for information for everyone, Disney does have an official policy on e-cigs. If you contact guest services through email they will be happy to forward it to you.

for the up to date info.

Thanks again!

To help with your questions in the future, it might be better to start a new thread instead of attaching a question onto a very old thread. People read from the beginning and end up responding to the earlier posts not yours.

FYI.......

You do realize that was posted over 3 years ago, right? :)

And, for information for everyone, Disney does have an official policy on e-cigs. If you contact guest services through email they will be happy to forward it to you.

Three years ago, three days ago, or three hours ago, I just think that the post I referenced was unnecessary and off topic of what the OP asked.
By the way, you are commenting on E-cigs, and those posts were over three years old also, so what's your point?

Three years ago, three days ago, or three hours ago, I just think that the post I referenced was unnecessary and off topic of what the OP asked.
By the way, you are commenting on E-cigs, and those posts were over three years old also, so what's your point?

Easy tiger, just a friendly FYI.

My post regarding e-cigs was in regards to the new/recent questions posted in this thread.

I think the point was that if you think it was unnecessary why quote it and highlight it 3 years later to bring to people's attention again and why chastise someone 3 years after the fact. Just a guess.

I think the point was that if you think it was unnecessary why quote it and highlight it 3 years later to bring to people's attention again and why chastise someone 3 years after the fact. Just a guess.

Well, except for the health care professional part, I could have written that post... it's sound advice, and always timely.

My mom is a smoker and this is one of the most stressful parts of traveling with her. My husband and I do not smoke. I paid a lot of money to take our family to WDW. I am not standing around waiting for her to smoke 20 times during the day. The problem is she gets all huffy if we leave her. Last time I think she finally got the hint and started volunteering to "go get things" and would be gone for a long period of time.

I'm hoping for patience next week with her!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter