slo's Thursday poll - helmets on motorcycles

Wearing A Helmet On A Motorcycle - Do You or Don't You????

• I wear a helmet - rarely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never wear a helmet - they are to hot

• I never wear a helmet - I like the wind in my hair

• I never wear a helmet - I like living on the edge

• Total voters
I've had two bikes, so far, in my life time. First was a sport bike (crotch rocket) when I was in my early to mid twenties. Many years later I had a cruiser. Living in MA, its the law to wear a helmet so when ever I rode in this state, I wore one. There were probably 2 times I rode without one. First time was on the sport bike, at the beach (in NH). Cruising the strip trying to be "cool". Speeds never reached over 5 mph. I then did it again riding with several friends on the cruiser. From time to time, we would take an early Sunday morning cruise. I don't recall where we were but we had crossed the state line. We all stopped and removed our helmets and rode a few miles, with the wind in our face and hair.

I won't judge others who ride and choose to either wear or not wear one. Its their choice and not up to me to tell them otherwise. They are aware of the risks and have made their own choices.

No motorcycles, but I ride horses (professionally). Helmets required every ride,every time. Nobody gets on a horse on my farm without one.

Were I to get on a motorcycle, i would wear a hemet.

I cringe whenever we drive through a state that allows motorcycle riders to be helmetless.
Same goes for people on bicycles on roads and bike paths.
Safety folks!

My DH is the general sales manager at a power sports dealership so there are always numerous bikes in our garage (3 at the moment plus a side by side) and he always wears his gear and helmet. I've got a helmet, jacket, and boots of my own for when I ride with him and our kids all have helmets for the ATV.

DH has seen too many customers, coworkers, and friends get hurt and killed not to wear gear and a helmet.

I used to ride on my granddad's Harley when I was little (just little jaunts around the neighborhood) and always wore a full-face helmet. I haven't been on a motorcycle since.

I have several friends in the motorcycle community (100+), and have lost far too many of them due to not wearing a helmet or wearing an improper helmet (half helmet that only fits top of your head). One of our good friends passed away just this January due to this. He was the president of his motorcycle club. Over 500 people attended his funeral, with 2+ mile long processional to his gravesite. You can see just how many lives this affected.

My mother worked for Bell helmets when I was in grade school and I heard horror stories about what happens to people when they don't wear a helmet or in ill-fitting helmet, which is probably why I'm so neurotic about always wearing one, even on a regular bicycle. It's not that I don't have faith in my or your riding abilities, it's that I don't trust others on the road to act accordingly.

In the UK its Law to wear helmets on motorcycles so I do, even if it wasn't I would.

I've only ridden on a motorcycle a few times when I was younger, and always wore a helmet. Its a law in my state so I never see riders without one. This past weekend we were in PA and some guy on a bike was riding without one and I just thought what an idiot. Sorry to be blunt, but we shouldn't need laws to require us to wear them, it is just common sense.

I didn't realize wearing a helmet was optional. I have never driven or been on a motorcycle and have no interest. A person in an accident on a motorcycle I'm sure would be better off with a helmet but honestly it seems as though that would be like putting a band-aid on a wound that needs 20+ stitches. Just my opinion of course.
I would have to agree. My uncle was killed in a motorcycle accident, he'd been wearing a helmet but what killed him was a torn aorta. A friend's father was paralyzed and another friend is full of rods and pins, he can no longer turn his head.

That said, back in the day I was a passenger on many, many bikes and always wore a helmet. Some of the operator's didn't but I always did. Got to give yourself at least half a chance.

My parents just bought a Goldwing this year. They wear their helmets during every ride as do I when I'm a passenger.

We had a very close family friend killed because he wasn't wearing his helmet (it was hanging from his handle bars...). Just not worth it. :(

Growing up my dad and brothers always rode bikes and ALWAYS had ALL the gear on or they didn't ride. On the very rare occasion my sister or I was a passenger it was a mad scurry to find gear to fit us so we could ride.

My chosen profession is nursing so of course I see the bad of the bad. It is the law where I live so I say wear the helmet. Adults can make their own choices but please don't put me at risk by your choices.

That said I wear a helmet on a bicycle of any kind, a horse, ski, snowmobile and even in the dune buggy on the sand mounds.

I ride and we are a mandatory helmet state. Rode down to FL where helmets are optional and still used a helmet. Full face, can't stand the wind in my eyes/face.

My dad had three accidents wearing a helmet and survived them all. The worst included two drivers in a road rage situation where two vehicles were "fighting" the truck ended up hitting my dad, he "bounced" the bike back upright, and it got him again, this time he stayed down with a broken clavicle, and 5 broken ribs. The truck flipped. I am pretty sure he would not have made it without the helmet. Even when he would ride in a state with no helmet law he wore a helmet. Too many things that you can't control. One of the other accidents a dog ran out in front of him. When I was on the back I always wore a helmet and my brother always wears a helmet.

We used to have a motorcycle and always wore full helmets. It used to be law here to wear them. I like our governor but was very disappointed in him when he repealed that law. Stupidest thing he's done I think. And I feel anyone who drives or is a passenger on one is stupid if they don't wear one.
Many believe that the state should not be regulating safety gear. I tend to agree, I don't think the states should mandate helmets. I live in TX - helmets not required.
Now, that does not mean that I think helmetless is a good idea, what it means is its a choice. I think no helmet = another way to thin the herd

Back in my wild days I was on the back of many a bike (Brother, boyfriends and a few friends had bikes), once I rode in a sundress, flipflops and no panties:o :rolleyes1 but I always wore a full faced helmet. Always

Many believe that the state should not be regulating safety gear. I tend to agree, I don't think the states should mandate helmets. I live in TX - helmets not required.
Now, that does not mean that I think helmetless is a good idea, what it means is its a choice. I think no helmet = another way to thin the herd

Back in my wild days I was on the back of many a bike (Brother, boyfriends and a few friends had bikes), once I rode in a sundress, flipflops and no panties:o :rolleyes1 but I always wore a full faced helmet. Always

We have seatbelt laws, which I agree with. And it is law for kids to be in car seats or booster seats as well. I also think we should still have the helmet law here too.

We have seatbelt laws, which I agree with. And it is law for kids to be in car seats or booster seats as well. I also think we should still have the helmet law here too.
I agree with car seats and seat belts for minors as they are not able to make a choice. I think seat belts in cars should remain mandatory like it is currently.

I support helmets for kids on bikes and skateboards as well - again, that whole idea that they should not be making their own safety decisions but if a grownup wants to be stupid, I don't see why we should create more laws to protect them from their stupidity.

When I was younger and rode one, I always wore a full face helmet. Not to mention long sleeve shirts and pants.

I've never been on a motorcycle and never plan to be on one. DD#1 has been a passenger on one and has always worn a full-face helmet (she says "Gotta protect the Money Maker!") I lost two cousins to motorcycle accidents where they weren't wearing helmets, so I'm pretty militant about it.

I believe that if someone refuses to wear a helmet, his/her insurance company should have the right to refuse to pay for treatment of head injuries. Insurance companies routinely refuse to cover people in high-risk professions; why shouldn't they be allowed to refuse coverage to those who deliberately and voluntarily indulge in high-risk behavior? Call me cold and hard-hearted - I don't care. If it were easier to prove, I'd almost be in favor of the same thing for not using seat belts.

And on that note, I'm going to bed. Good night all.

Queen Colleen

My husband owns a motorcycle and we live in New York, so helmets are the law. But even if they weren't we would still wear it. My husband and I were discussing this just yesterday and i think it is just insane to not wear one.

I think helmet laws should go away. Its your life if you choose to take silly risk, thats on you.

I have ridden on the back of a motorcycle with and without a helmet. I prefer a helmet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter