Skipper Canteen ADR Watch

Seems so strange. They have their own website link....to the Disney site. We went last week for dinner and had no wait. Restaurant was half empty.

I don't think the "no ADR" plan is really working for them!

So, from folks who have gone very recently, are they still not taking TiW? If they have same-day reservations, I think even my large group can work with that...

Seems so strange. They have their own website link....to the Disney site. We went last week for dinner and had no wait. Restaurant was half empty.

I don't think the "no ADR" plan is really working for them!
That reminds me of the Be Our Guest lunch link before they added it to DME. I guess it is an easier way for them to monitor the test before adding it to DME. I am in the minority and like not having to have an ADR. But I think they could use the back two rooms for ADRs and then use the mess hall for walk ups. I wish they would do that at BOG, too. Some people don't like to plan every minute of their trip in advance.

That reminds me of the Be Our Guest lunch link before they added it to DME. I guess it is an easier way for them to monitor the test before adding it to DME. I am in the minority and like not having to have an ADR. But I think they could use the back two rooms for ADRs and then use the mess hall for walk ups. I wish they would do that at BOG, too. Some people don't like to plan every minute of their trip in advance.
I agree. I think that the issue with this at BOG is that they are worried it would regress to those long stand by lines they experienced before the lunch service went to ADR.

That's a really cool idea. You can ADR the fancy rooms, but "mess hall" and "ballroom" could be walk-ups!

I completely agree. If they're trying to shift to more walkup availability, they could still offer a certain percentage of capacity to ADRs. It would only increase the number of diners.

Although... I just had a thought. Take a family like ours. We want to eat at Skipper Canteen but we won't, because we can't get an ADR. I have an ADR for LTT instead. But do they really want families like ours eating at SC? We're going to be eating at a table-service restaurant anyway. I don't think Disney really cares whether it's LTT or SC or anywhere else. We're paying to eat at a TS restaurant. That's what they care about. So why would they cater to me and mine? They want to get people who might normally eat CS to come in and pay more for a TS restaurant, and the way to do that is to have same-day availability. Okay, this is just a half-baked idea that came to me while writing this post... does anyone think it might hold water?

I completely agree. If they're trying to shift to more walkup availability, they could still offer a certain percentage of capacity to ADRs. It would only increase the number of diners.

Although... I just had a thought. Take a family like ours. We want to eat at Skipper Canteen but we won't, because we can't get an ADR. I have an ADR for LTT instead. But do they really want families like ours eating at SC? We're going to be eating at a table-service restaurant anyway. I don't think Disney really cares whether it's LTT or SC or anywhere else. We're paying to eat at a TS restaurant. That's what they care about. So why would they cater to me and mine? They want to get people who might normally eat CS to come in and pay more for a TS restaurant, and the way to do that is to have same-day availability. Okay, this is just a half-baked idea that came to me while writing this post... does anyone think it might hold water?
Interesting theory. However, if you want to entice me to do TS instead of CS, then they really missed the mark with the prices!

I get where you're going....but would those that normally eat QS be willing to pay more for TS? This is assuming, of course, that they are choosing QS based on cost, and not lack of ADR availability. Don't have the answer, just playing devil's advocate!

Based on posts I've seen that say the restaurant is rarely crowded, I'm guessing the no ADR system didn't work the way Disney had hoped, so now they are trying something new. I've a hunch that if the same day reservation system yields better results, they will eventually move to full ADRs (like BOG with the lunch FP trial). Though BOG never had an issue drawing crowds!!

Then they need to price it more like The Plaza. This place is too expensive to be anywhere close to an even swap between CS and TS. (And IMO they need to offer a discount like DVC, AP or TIW or peopole like us won't be going back.)

RE: the idea of offering the two back rooms for ADR's - these rooms at the Skipper Canteen are only a fraction of the size of the ones at BOG. Nowhere close in size. They are very small and intimate - almost the size of a party room or something. I don't think that would really end up working out either...

We never eat CS. Like pretty much ever. I just really need the break of one sit-down meal per day. So we wouldn't tend to "play it by ear" for same-day reservations, because we'd need to cancel our existing reservations the day before to avoid surcharge, and I wouldn't want to risk no availability.

Are people reporting there is good availability for same-day ADRs?

We never eat CS. Like pretty much ever. I just really need the break of one sit-down meal per day. So we wouldn't tend to "play it by ear" for same-day reservations, because we'd need to cancel our existing reservations the day before to avoid surcharge, and I wouldn't want to risk no availability.

Are people reporting there is good availability for same-day ADRs?
We are planning to go later this month, so I've been checking daily out of curiosity, and have seen decent availability even as late as 10 am (openings at 11 and 11:30).

Not that it's "news" but I contacted Guest Services about TiW eventuality. They couldn't speak for the distant future. But pretty much told me it wasn't happening anytime soon.

Interesting theory. However, if you want to entice me to do TS instead of CS, then they really missed the mark with the prices!

And the types of food offered. People who normally want QS hamburgers and pizza will not be pleased with the offerings at SC. I love the menu at SC, but it is not a good menu for walk ups. It is highly specialized. Maybe if they want a walk up table service they should stop offering ADRs at The Plaza and add them at SC.

We ate here on Friday and thought it was lots of fun. Food was good, nothing fantastic but better than burgers and nuggets. Still not accepting TIW. Our skipper was awesome and had lots of good jungle cruise jokes. Saw lots of people being turned away while we waited for our table (we had made a same day reservation). Would definitely go again.

I would love to try this restaurant-but don't want to run the risk of not having a dinner reservations-so, if I have something booked for the day of-will they let me cancel my other reservation and book this one without penalty?

I would love to try this restaurant-but don't want to run the risk of not having a dinner reservations-so, if I have something booked for the day of-will they let me cancel my other reservation and book this one without penalty?

I would imagine if you cancel less than 24 hours in advance, you will be charged the $10 per person.

I'm going for 2 weeks, I've left my arrival day open with no reservations. My plan is to use that for SC. I'll reserve it that morning...and if I don't get it, oh well, it's our first day and we can wing it

We're going Easter week-so, I doubt we will have any chance of a walk up reservation for 7...

I had no problem making a same day ADR last Friday. Got online around 7:30 and had my choice of dinner times.

With the $10 cancel fee for same day cancelations no wonder the place is not full. A lot of people have ADRs already by time the same day window opens

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter