• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Skipper Canteen ADR Watch

You stay there and wait for them to call you. That's what we did at Yak and Yeti. Could you explain the 'disadvantage'? You still get to eat there.
For some, not having an advantage that others have is a "disadvantage". For example, if someone is dining at Hollywood & Vine, and isn't a DVC member, annual passholder, Tables in Wonderland subscriber, or Disney Visa cardholder, they might feel like they're at a disadvantage since all those other people get a discount for dining there that they don't get.

We ended up doing the walk up reservation, and it actually worked pretty well. We'd had a late lunch at LTT, so we didn't mind a 90 minute wait for a table for 5 on NYE. We actually were at Journey of the Little Mermaid when I received the text. I was able to text them back to let them know the situation. We walked back and had a minimal wait in the lounge area inside until our table was ready. We had a leisurely dinner which helped pass the time in AC until we needed to get to our spot for the fireworks.

I went back three days ago for my second visit. We noticed a few changes from the week before. The first time we walked right up and got a table. On our second visit we had about a 30 minute wait. They asked if we had a "local" phone number to text us when our table was ready, but we live in Alabama, so they offered us the traditional buzzer pager. We waited in the nice cool shaded waiting area. On our first visit we ate in the S.E.A room, which I prefer because it was much quieter, but the second visit we were seated in the mess hall right beside the kitchen. The mess hall has a speaker with sound effects right above the entrance to the kitchen. It was fun hearing the clanking dishes and occasional conversation from the recorded skippers. They talked about burning someone's food once which was funny. On our first visit we had coasters for our drinks with the logo on it. Skipper Morgan even got us a couple extra to take home as souvenirs. On our second visit we only got the traditional cocktail napkin for our drinks. We had hoped the a new shipment of the mugs would have arrived before our second visit, but they were still out of stock. I enjoyed the mac & cheese so much on the first visit that I ordered it again the second time, but chose the child's portion to save room for the kungaloosh dessert. The kungaloosh was a much smaller portion on our second visit than on our first visit. Also, our first skipper, Skipper Morgan, did a wonderful job of interacting with us and using a lot of the jokes and puns from the ride. She even showed us the Adventurers Club handshake before we paid for our meal. Our second skipper, Jason, wasn't nearly as much fun. With him it just seemed like any other sit down meal....we were kind of disappointed after our great experience with Morgan on our first visit. I plan to go again when I return in March and hope to get a better skipper.

I went back three days ago for my second visit. We noticed a few changes from the week before. The first time we walked right up and got a table. On our second visit we had about a 30 minute wait. They asked if we had a "local" phone number to text us when our table was ready, but we live in Alabama, so they offered us the traditional buzzer pager. We waited in the nice cool shaded waiting area. On our first visit we ate in the S.E.A room, which I prefer because it was much quieter, but the second visit we were seated in the mess hall right beside the kitchen. The mess hall has a speaker with sound effects right above the entrance to the kitchen. It was fun hearing the clanking dishes and occasional conversation from the recorded skippers. They talked about burning someone's food once which was funny. On our first visit we had coasters for our drinks with the logo on it. Skipper Morgan even got us a couple extra to take home as souvenirs. On our second visit we only got the traditional cocktail napkin for our drinks. We had hoped the a new shipment of the mugs would have arrived before our second visit, but they were still out of stock. I enjoyed the mac & cheese so much on the first visit that I ordered it again the second time, but chose the child's portion to save room for the kungaloosh dessert. The kungaloosh was a much smaller portion on our second visit than on our first visit. Also, our first skipper, Skipper Morgan, did a wonderful job of interacting with us and using a lot of the jokes and puns from the ride. She even showed us the Adventurers Club handshake before we paid for our meal. Our second skipper, Jason, wasn't nearly as much fun. With him it just seemed like any other sit down meal....we were kind of disappointed after our great experience with Morgan on our first visit. I plan to go again when I return in March and hope to get a better skipper.

We find the same thing with riding the JC - a great skipper makes all the difference! Hope to try this place later this week.

We find the same thing with riding the JC - a great skipper makes all the difference! Hope to try this place later this week.
Absolutely. We had Skipper Jeff for the Holiday cruise in early December, and it was a blast! And it is the same at 50's Prime Time and Whispering Canyon. It depends on the 'cousin' that is serving you. It only makes sense. I think, too, that if you show by your actions that you are willing to go along with the tom foolery, you are more likely to have that experience that you are looking for. (at least that has been my experience at both the restaurants mentioned ^^)

We had lunch here today and I have to say that I was disappointed. We had the falafel, which was probably the best part of the meal, to start. I had the steak salad which was wilted and very peppery/gingery. I enjoy spicy foods but I did not enjoy this salad. My DH had the pho which he said cost 3x more than any pho he had ever had and was missing something. My DD had the Mac and cheese without the meat. It was a smallish bowl of noodles slathered with a cheesy bechamel sauce. Way more sauce than noodles. We ended with the congee which I enjoyed but the rest of my family did not.

At $20 per entree for a bowl of noodle soup, a bowl of goopy mac and cheese and a salad with 5 pieces of meat the food was very overpriced. Even for Disney. Add to the mix there are no discounts and our $105 lunch for three felt like highway robbery.

The restaurant was cute. Our skipper was entertaining. The food was bad and overpriced. We won't be back.

Last edited:
I had so much excitement built up into Skipper Canteen but now that all the reviews are coming in
and seeing the menu photos
online, I can't believe I am typing this but..... I think my family will be passing on this new restaurant until
the kinks are worked out. I am all about theme dining and unless this place is really fun and spectacular inside-
we won't be wasting our time here. Hearing that the food is just "okay" or even "bad" well that isn't good enough for
me to eschew my other favorite places to eat. Haha Maybe when I walk by I can peak in and smell if the food is worth it
and walk up and get a table. I am known to change my mind however unluckily for Disney they don't have me reserved to this place
so for now I am passing.
Hopefully more positive reviews pour in for the food and atmosphere- I am just not seeing anything
that is very special.

Sad to say I agree as well. I was so looking forward to trying it next month, but unfortunately I think we are going to pass :(

We want to try this out. We really do. But unless we can get an ADR, we won't. We don't want to risk not having a sit-down lunch somewhere, so we have an ADR at LTT. I'm willing to cancel it for Skipper Canteen, but only if I am *guaranteed* to get in at Skipper Canteen. And once I'm at the park the day of, it will cost me $40 to cancel LTT, even if Skipper Canteen is available.

So for the moment, I'm still on ADR Watch.

FTR, Ive seen lots of reviews of the food at Skipper Canteen, and I think the only thing I've seen stated consistently is that the portions are a bit small. Some people like the food, some hate the food, some think it's blah... that's about the same for any other Disney restaurant. I'm certainly willing to try it and judge for myself... *if* I can get an ADR.

We want to try this out. We really do. But unless we can get an ADR, we won't. We don't want to risk not having a sit-down lunch somewhere, so we have an ADR at LTT. I'm willing to cancel it for Skipper Canteen, but only if I am *guaranteed* to get in at Skipper Canteen. And once I'm at the park the day of, it will cost me $40 to cancel LTT, even if Skipper Canteen is available.

FTR, Ive seen lots of reviews of the food at Skipper Canteen, and I think the only thing I've seen stated consistently is that the portions are a bit small. Some people like the food, some hate the food, some think it's blah... that's about the same for any other Disney restaurant. I'm certainly willing to try it and judge for myself... *if* I can get an ADR.

We are in the exact same boat!
I have the plaza and LTT ADRs.. And will be watching until the night before my ADRS to see if skippers open with ADRs..
TS meals are WAY to important to us and our touring style
(We use TS as our chance to rest and recharge)

It's not worth the risk of Wasting park time to wait or If the wait is to long we end up fighting the crowds at pecos or starlight. Which is not relaxing AT ALL!

We are in the exact same boat!
I have the plaza and LTT ADRs.. And will be watching until the night before my ADRS to see if skippers open with ADRs..
TS meals are WAY to important to us and our touring style
(We use TS as our chance to rest and recharge)

It's not worth the risk of Wasting park time to wait or If the wait is to long we end up fighting the crowds at pecos or starlight. Which is not relaxing AT ALL!

Yes, we like the TS lunch for rest and recharge as well. That's a great way to put it! Even with a 9 am park open, we're up by 7 am to get to the front of the line at rope drop, and then we pack in the first 2-3 hours in the park with rides. At that point we need our TS lunch to sit for a minute and be served. We don't want to stress out waiting in a long line to order and fighting for a table. I'm willing to do BOG for lunch, but only because we can order in advance and skip that line, and the CMs will find you a table. TS lunch is one of our 'necessary luxuries' at WDW, and nowhere is it more important than at the MK!

Just hoping that we can get that ADR at Skipper's Canteen.

One thing that occurred to me was that if we can't, and we still want to try it (we love the Jungle Cruise and the whole atmosphere sounds perfect for us) then maybe we might dfrop by mid-afternoon at a less busy time and go in only for dessert. That would give us the experience without (hopefully) much of a wait.

Good idea..

We normally do TS for breakfast or early lunch & TS for dinner.
Yes is a little more money, but worth every penny..
If you get the tables in wonderland card. DH figured out the plaza is $3 more person vs. starlight (based on what we would order)
For $12 (our family of 4) I'll sit down and let them wait on me!

Our all time fav. Is SCI FI at HS.. It's always sooooooo quiet and relaxing...
And once again only a. Few $ per person the the abc commissary.

100% agree. We are the same way. I was hoping to give this place a try in June for dinner, but without the opportunity to book an ADR... eh idk. Hopefully the ADR's will become available for this one. In the mean time, we're booked for Kona Cafe. Until then...

I think disney going to see really fast that guest are not going to give up guarantee ADRs for the "chance" they might have a short wait.

I don't understand why they don't do what they did for BOG..
Dinner ADR seating was limited to west wing and ballroom.. However they has the music box room open for walk ups! It was the best of both worlds! Not sure if they do this all the time, but my sister in October was able to walk up and get a table for 2 with only a 35min wait.

Good idea..

We normally do TS for breakfast or early lunch & TS for dinner.
Yes is a little more money, but worth every penny..
If you get the tables in wonderland card. DH figured out the plaza is $3 more person vs. starlight (based on what we would order)
For $12 (our family of 4) I'll sit down and let them wait on me!

Our all time fav. Is SCI FI at HS.. It's always sooooooo quiet and relaxing...
And once again only a. Few $ per person the the abc commissary.
There are no discounts at Skipper's including TIW.

I know.. It will be our splurge meal this trip..
But there is always hope they may go back to accepting tiw when then open the ADRs.
Keeping fingers crossed!

I would prefer an ADR as well.....I still have one TS dinner spot open.
I may walk by, but not wait very long....otherwise CHH is fine with me.

I agree. We're going to stick with The Plaza Restaurant.
Funny. I have Plaza reservations too, and have been waiting to see if I should jettison them for Skipper Canteen. I agree with everyone who is unhappy about the no ADRs and have come to the same conclusion about keeping my ADR. I have never eaten at the plaza though. It's good?

I don't like to comment on how good a restaurant is more than fifteen years since our last visit there. What convinced me to choose The Plaza was the fact that we have vegetarians in our party and The Plaza has two vegetarian items on the menu (and maybe more off menu). By comparison, Tony's and Liberty Tree only have off menu vegetarian choices, and Cinderella's and BOG have only one on menu vegetarian choice. The prices are also a bit lower than the others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter