Single Parent Support Thread

I could use some advice. But first, long, venty background info: I'm "virtually" single. Hubby is 1000 miles away living in the home we once shared as a family, I'm in central FL, working full time for the Mouse (we have health insurance for the first time!). DDs (almost 15 and 12) have been with me for the 26 months we've lived here. Hubby is generally unattached and disinterested; he was always more concerned with what we could do for him or how we made him feel. How he made US feel was less of a concern. One of the reasons I left was b/c he's self-employed and thinks it's OK to sit at home not working for 4 months out of the year with no thought at all to where money comes from for the payments. I kid you not, one month he said to me, "What do you mean you need more money for the mortgage? We just paid it last month!" :lmao: Ummmm, yeah, they don't call them "monthly payments" for nothing! I just couldn't take the financial insecurity anymore and had to do something. DDs and I are still struggling as he doesn't do much as far as support and certainly nothing when he's off work. His parents' and our house are connected with utilities, so I have been paying to keep heat/power on all winter for their sake. Bills he's responsible for, I've been paying to try to keep my credit out of the toilet and the phones turned on. Once he does get back to work, I will have all but a small mortgage paid off and untangled financially between us later this year which will make things easier. Obviously, DDs are smart enough to know that we're financially struggling, despite my best efforts to insulate them.

15yo has Asperger's so her ability to form close relationships is already challenged and she has no bond at all with her Dad. He never worked to form one with her and it just never materialized. I have made every effort to keep channels of communication open, providing free access to email, text, phones for each family member, etc. We have even made the effort to drive back to visit him a few times a year, although he makes no effort to come here. He even missed Christmas this year.

Here's where I need the advice: hubby told me today to tell 15yo to email him. He emails them every so often, but she won't reply. She has some interests that she knows he will flip out about (her musical tastes, mostly, and he's very oppressive). She's just not interested in dealing with him right now and feels very disconnected.

In my opinion, he's brought all this on himself. His lack of interest in supporting his family and inability to build relationships with his children (beyond bossing them around) has led to where we are. I don't think I should have to force a teenager to communicate with him. I'm about natural consequences and feel very strongly that everything that has happened has been a natural consequence of his lack of care and concern for his wife and children.

Thoughts?

I also don't believe in forcing them. I won't bad mouth him in front of my kids...(although sometimes its really trying to hold your tongue!) But I let my kids make their own choices. And on the same note never forced them "out of it"..as in, never telling them they CAN'T see or talk to their dad. If you feel as if you should be doing something, just mention it once a week..."hey, your dad's been emailing you, do you want to send him an email" If they say no, that's that. My daughter, now 17, didn't see her dad for years. He moved to FL when she was little and we're in CT. I've never STOPPED him from seeing her, or vice versa. Recently, over the last two years, she chose to be in contact with him. Just to realize for herself, that he's not all what she thought, and pretty much wasn't worth getting a hold of in the first place. Feel it out.....they know how they feel.:love:

Needed a place to celebrate and I know a lot of you hear can relate!!

Today I found out that I am cancer-free for the 3rd straight year!! I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 2008 (how I found out the ex-H was cheating on me). i had my surgery 2 weeks after my divorce was final! Thankfully the entire tumor was removed. It had progressed quickly, so every 3 months after my surgery I had paps done to ensure no HPV. Thankfully after a year, I went to every 6 months of checks..now I can go back to annual visits!! Yay!!! :cool1::banana:

I am so happy!!! And in about a month I can celebrate in Disney with my beautiful DS!!! :love:

Thanks for listening!!!

What a fighter!! in more ways than one. Way to go and blessings to you.

Our dates have changed about 5000 times, but we currently have airfare paid for on Sept 30-Oct 6. Waiting for HS day tix to go on sale and my DVC purchase to go through to get the lodging and ticket portions taken care of :)

What a great thread! It's so nice to meet everyone!

My divorce was just finalized in October, but I had already made three semi-solo trips to WDW with our DD (and one entirely solo) by that time. Her father never liked Disney, so he always chose not to go with us. I do think he would have liked to see our DD enjoy it, but he never made it a priority.

My first two trips with DD were before he and I separated. Luckily, my sister went with me, because DD was only two years old on the first trip (and four years old on the second trip). The third trip, I went down ahead of my sister, and then, she and her husband joined us after a week. Even though my daughter was only five at the time, we did great when it was just the two of us. I realized that I could have done it by myself all along!

So this last trip, my DD and I went alone, and we had a wonderful vacation. Disney is a great place for single parents, because they make it so easy (the resorts, restaurants, entertainment, transportation--especially the Magical Express). We loved every minute!

Wha a great thread! I hope it's alright to join! I have been a single parent for 14 yeas, and I don't know what I would do without WDW! My children and try to drive down from IL once a year if I can get the money together, and we have a blast! They don't fight, I don't have to cook or clean, worry about bills, or stress out about work! I get to just have fun with my kids! We're going to be at WL the week of June 5, and it can't get here fast enough. My children are about to get their third step mother (end of this month), and hopefully our trip will help them temporarily forget about their rollercoaster of a relationship with their father. I've enjoyed reading this thread and learning that there are so many single parents like myself who love WDW!

Okay fellow single parent travellers, I have been reading posts in other forums on the best way to get a fp for TSM and sign the kids up for Jedi Training is to send a runner for the fp while another parent gets in line with the kids for Jedi Training. Any suggestions on the best way to secure both of these as a single parent? Ds would hate to miss Jedi Training, it's one of the few things he actually wants to do at DHS, so I want to make sure to get in line for that. But on the other hand I don't want to miss out on fp for TSM. If we get the fp first, will we find that Jedi Training has filled up for the day? We are planning to get to the park early, maybe not quite rope drop, but soon after.

I have heard that if you are there at rope drop, and it isn't a terribly busy time of year, you can almost always get your TSM fast pass and still get into a Jedi Training. That said, if you won't be there at rope drop, I'd get in line for Jedi Training asap. My DS will be 11 before we go, and it is more important to me that he get his Jedi Training slot. TSM will be there, and fastpasses can be gotten later, but we aren't going to have him at the right age for this great memory-maker for long :)

I have heard that if you are there at rope drop, and it isn't a terribly busy time of year, you can almost always get your TSM fast pass and still get into a Jedi Training. That said, if you won't be there at rope drop, I'd get in line for Jedi Training asap. My DS will be 11 before we go, and it is more important to me that he get his Jedi Training slot. TSM will be there, and fastpasses can be gotten later, but we aren't going to have him at the right age for this great memory-maker for long :)

I totally agree with you..I actually switched a few things around so we can get there really early on one day and get in line for Jedi and hopefully go to TSM..if not we are going to go back DHS another day just for TSM..But DS is really on a Star Wars kick and I know he would love this!!!

Hi,
I have been a single parent since my child's birth, he is now 11. We went to Florida last year (Disney for a day) last year and we are going for a full week in August. We have traveled alone together since he was a toddler, to trips to the beach, Puerto Rico, you name it! I have a boyfriend and many friends, but they never seem to want to travel, so I didn't want to deprive my son of travel just because I am a single parent. My parents had taking me to Disney 3 times as a child and other places and I wanted my child to have the same experience. For the most part, I prefer traveling just with my son, less fighting, less arguments how to spend your time and money LOL. When I went to Florida last year we stayed at the Nickelodeon hotel, my son wanted to swim in the pool and found friends and I must say it can be lonely at times, but at Disney I don't anticipate being very lonely as you are always on the go, it's the perfect vacation for a single parent!

Hello All!! I'm just now finding this... Too busy reading about budget travel! LOL Anyhow, I'm a single mom to 3 kiddos! DS11, DD9 and DS3. I've taken my kids to Disney alone once. I have to say it was the best, most relaxed trip I've taken there! Funny, we worked on the kids time and there were no adults to deal with. I have taken them several times in the past with other adults (once with their father, and a few times with some of my family). We packed up and went over Thanksgiving in 09. My youngest was 1 at the time!! It was definitely an adventure, but I maintain it was the best trip there. I'm taking my parents in July and quite possibly my niece7 and nephew4... Could be interesting.

Nice to meet you all!!

(would add a ticker, but I don't know how....we have 61 Days til OKW)

Hi, just found this thread. My divorce is not quite over, but over 3 months ago my husband walked out on me and DD7 to be with a 22 year old (he is 35). It's been painful, but I think I am going to be better off. He is a huge narcissist.

We had a pre planned trip (rented points to stay at Contemporary) already paid for in Oct that I am letting DD7 bring her best friend to. And then, on a whim I decided I would take DD7 this July too, we have season passes and room discount is offered through Disney, so why not? I am going to suprise her with this trip, I have never done that before.

So that is my story, glad to have found y'all!

Hi,
I have been a single parent since my child's birth, he is now 11. We went to Florida last year (Disney for a day) last year and we are going for a full week in August. We have traveled alone together since he was a toddler, to trips to the beach, Puerto Rico, you name it! I have a boyfriend and many friends, but they never seem to want to travel, so I didn't want to deprive my son of travel just because I am a single parent. My parents had taking me to Disney 3 times as a child and other places and I wanted my child to have the same experience. For the most part, I prefer traveling just with my son, less fighting, less arguments how to spend your time and money LOL. When I went to Florida last year we stayed at the Nickelodeon hotel, my son wanted to swim in the pool and found friends and I must say it can be lonely at times, but at Disney I don't anticipate being very lonely as you are always on the go, it's the perfect vacation for a single parent!

HI!! i just got back from my first trip with DS solo..we have done a ton of vacas but we have gone with my parents, my sisters' family, all of us..etc. This was the first trip it was just DS and I (besides daytrips)..it was FABULOUS!!! We went during spring break and of course everyone told me I was insane because of the crowds..we did rope drop every morning..went back to the GF at noon and went back to the parks around 5 or 6. It was awesome. We got to do whatever we wanted, didn't have to wait for anyone, ate when and where we wanted to, it was amazing. I am so glad that I had that experience with my son, especially since he's 6. I am looking forward to more of it in the future, but it was just such a magical trip. At the pool he would make friends, sometimes the other moms would be in the pool too and we would start talking, other times I would sit on the edge and watch my son play..it was great.

Have a fabulous time!! :banana: You deserve it!!!:goodvibes

Hi, just found this thread. My divorce is not quite over, but over 3 months ago my husband walked out on me and DD7 to be with a 22 year old (he is 35). It's been painful, but I think I am going to be better off. He is a huge narcissist.

We had a pre planned trip (rented points to stay at Contemporary) already paid for in Oct that I am letting DD7 bring her best friend to. And then, on a whim I decided I would take DD7 this July too, we have season passes and room discount is offered through Disney, so why not? I am going to suprise her with this trip, I have never done that before.

So that is my story, glad to have found y'all!

Good for you!!:thumbsup2 Enjoy it!! I am sure she will be thrilled with the surprise! i give you so much credit because I can't keep a secret!!!

I am sorry about your pending divorce and how it all went down..My ex did the same thing, and it is painful, but you are strong and you will get through it...believe me..it's true what they say, you are better off :hug:

Good for you!!:thumbsup2 Enjoy it!! I am sure she will be thrilled with the surprise! i give you so much credit because I can't keep a secret!!!

I am sorry about your pending divorce and how it all went down..My ex did the same thing, and it is painful, but you are strong and you will get through it...believe me..it's true what they say, you are better off :hug:

Thanks so much, I didn't believe that at first, but as time passes I am starting to see how much better off I will be!

It's hard planning the surprise because I am such a planner, I want to share all the details with her, but I am going to try! I have never been in July, I assume we will have alot of pool time due to the heat...

Thanks so much, I didn't believe that at first, but as time passes I am starting to see how much better off I will be!

It's hard planning the surprise because I am such a planner, I want to share all the details with her, but I am going to try! I have never been in July, I assume we will have alot of pool time due to the heat...

:thumbsup2

Can't wait to hear all about it!!! Where are you staying?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter