Single due to Disney.....

I had a similar situation with the woman i was dating before my current wife -- for our 1 year anniversary I took us to Disney World for a week. She complained from the time we got to the airport (seats were too small, plane smelled bad) to the Magical Express -- "a bus, really a bus?" - to "my idea of a vacation is not walking around a kiddy park all freaking day" -- every single day ... once we got back home i said my goodbye. i couldn't be with a person who was that sour and unhappy in the "Happiest place on earth" she wouldnt even let herself enjoy herself -- she hated everything. i was called petty and imature over it -- but hell i am happier for it.

I had a similar situation with the woman i was dating before my current wife -- for our 1 year anniversary I took us to Disney World for a week. She complained from the time we got to the airport (seats were too small, plane smelled bad) to the Magical Express -- "a bus, really a bus?" - to "my idea of a vacation is not walking around a kiddy park all freaking day" -- every single day ... once we got back home i said my goodbye. i couldn't be with a person who was that sour and unhappy in the "Happiest place on earth" she wouldnt even let herself enjoy herself -- she hated everything. i was called petty and imature over it -- but hell i am happier for it.

I probably would have ditched her while at the parks if she was being that much of a sourpuss. I don't think I could stand someone ruining a vacation that way, I'd rather be on my own. :-)

I didn't "get" Disney until I went, and now am hooked- leave your options open to those who have not been, also. If you wish to find a significant other who is all about Disney, become more involved in Disney yourself and improve your chances of meeting someone while "doing" Disney. I've met GREAT fans while on the ship, especially!

Wait, you mean to tell me there are guys that don't like Disney World? lol. As for doing childish things, my teenage daughter always used to tell me that I was worse than the boys at school. I thought ALL guys were this way hahahaha. I have no fear of doing childish things.

OP, perhaps being actively involved (not saying you aren't already, don't take it that way) in school related activities with your kids might give you some exposure to possible single male parents that are quite accustomed to doing childish things with their children.

When you go on a public message board and post your sob story you are going to receive various types of responses. You are going to get people who are going to 'put you in your place' because they do not like 'I am the victim' posts, you are going to have those that will interject with logic and then you will have those who will cater to your ego and try to make you feel better.

At the end of the day, Disney had nothing to do with the demise of her relationship and I bet pookie10 realizes that now and she knows she is for the better now. That is the most important thing.
All true.

I didn't "like" disney until i visited disney the first time with my then girlfriend in 1985. We are now married 27 years and have been back about a dozen times.
Some of the attractions are more adult in focus than I originally thought and I can find joy in things that some would call "kiddie rides" too.
If the significant other can;t find some happiness in that their partner is happy, then something is wrong. Some people think the perfect park has 12 roller coasters and a bathroom- I get that. But if you really care for your partner, you should find some joy in seeing them enjoying themselves and be able to go with the flow for for a few days. In 27 years of marriage and more years dating before that, we have been on a lot of vacations. Some are better than others but whereever you are, you should try to make the best of where you are at that time. If you can do that, maybe you;ll get to pick the next one. If you can't do that and you're resentful that this trip is not as fun as the beach vacation, you're acting like a child and all the kiddie rides should be prefect then.

I didn't "like" disney until i visited disney the first time with my then girlfriend in 1985. We are now married 27 years and have been back about a dozen times.
Some of the attractions are more adult in focus than I originally thought and I can find joy in things that some would call "kiddie rides" too.
If the significant other can;t find some happiness in that their partner is happy, then something is wrong. Some people think the perfect park has 12 roller coasters and a bathroom- I get that. But if you really care for your partner, you should find some joy in seeing them enjoying themselves and be able to go with the flow for for a few days. In 27 years of marriage and more years dating before that, we have been on a lot of vacations. Some are better than others but whereever you are, you should try to make the best of where you are at that time. If you can do that, maybe you;ll get to pick the next one. If you can't do that and you're resentful that this trip is not as fun as the beach vacation, you're acting like a child and all the kiddie rides should be prefect then.
HaHaHaHaHa! Perfect! You nailed it!

And how did the kids feel about being passed over for a 5-month boyfriend?
Sorry, but there's no way to put a good spin on, "I know we go to Disney every year, but this year mommy wants to go with her new freeloading boyfriend rather than take you kids." Maybe OP can come back and explain it better so we understand what really happened.
Whole lotta judgement in this here thread. because none of you have ever done the wrong thing when it comes to your kids... Slow sarcastic clap for you.

Out of curiosity, are any of you passing this kind of judgement single parents? I don't know what her situation is, maybe she has shared parenting and the kids were with ex for a week.. who knows.
I'm a single parent...as in 100% single..no ex, child support, shared parenting, etc.
This coming June I-for the first time in 6 years- am going on a week vacay without my son. It's not with a guy, a girl's trip, but that's completely irrelevant.

Should I feel guilty for this?

I have not done this in the past because of guilt, and I finally realized that it's ok.. I obsess over every single aspect of my son's life- with summer camps...to being involved in his private school..to having passes to theme parks, zoo, museums etc etc and constant weekend trips to expose him to different things, his sports- football/golf/baseball/indoor soccer/swimming...and our 1 'big' 2 week vacation every year.. All of this while I work 50-55 hours per week to be able to support the things we do and the schools he attends. I am NOT complaining. I am simply stating facts. I rarely date, and when I do it ends bc my schedule is nearly impossible to deal with, and so far I'm not ready to compromise on that. I do not think going on a vacation without your children is a horrible act of parenting. And to say so is ridiculous. In my case- I think it will be good for me and my son for his mother to have a little adult time.

Have none of you taken a trip sans kids with your spouse? Or with friends? Bachelorette weekends? Etc.,..
Also--- my son does not attend kid's clubs while we are on vacation because I don't see the point and want us to create memories together. How many of you go on vacay but put your kids in the clubs? I am not judging that, it's your choice..but that could be considered shoving your kid off as well...

Point is--- Had she not been a 'single' mom, these ignorant responses probably wouldn't have been written. And that's sad.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, are any of you passing this kind of judgement single parents? I don't know what her situation is, maybe she has shared parenting and the kids were with ex for a week.. who knows.
I'm a single parent...as in 100% single..no ex, child support, shared parenting, etc.
This coming June I-for the first time in 6 years- am going on a week vacay without my son. It's not with a guy, a girl's trip, but that's completely irrelevant.

I have not done this in the past because of guilt, and I finally realized that it's ok.. I obsess over every single aspect of my son's life- with summer camps...to being involved in his private school..to having passes to theme parks, zoo, museums etc etc and constant weekend trips to expose him to different things, his sports- football/golf/baseball/indoor soccer/swimming...and our 1 'big' 2 week vacation every year.. All of this while I work 50-55 hours per week to be able to support the things we do and the schools he attends. I am NOT complaining. I am simply stating facts. I rarely date, and when I do it ends bc my schedule is nearly impossible to deal with, and so far I'm not ready to compromise on that. I do not think going on a vacation without your children is a horrible act of parenting. And to say so is ridiculous. In my case- I think it will be good for me and my son for his mother to have a little adult time.

Have none of you taken a trip sans kids with your spouse? Or with friends? Bachelorette weekends? Etc.,..
Also--- my son does not attend kid's clubs while we are on vacation because I don't see the point and want us to create memories together. How many of you go on vacay but put your kids in the clubs? I am not judging that, it's your choice..but that could be considered shoving your kid off as well...

Point is--- Had she not been a 'single' mom, these ignorant responses probably wouldn't have been written. And that's sad.

I think most people can post helpful posts without being judgemental or without trying to "butt in" too much into the other's personal life.
I'll be married 27 years next week but I know that before I got married, some of my single relationships didn't exactly work out that great. So i can also relate to others that haven't had the best of luck. I think most people aren't that lucky or that perfect to never hit any bumps in the road there.

I think most people can post helpful posts without being judgemental or without trying to "butt in" too much into the other's personal life.
I'll be married 27 years next week but I know that before I got married, some of my single relationships didn't exactly work out that great. So i can also relate to others that haven't had the best of luck. I think most people aren't that lucky or that perfect to never hit any bumps in the road there.
Congrats on the 27 years!

After many WDW trips with my sons over the years, I decided to take a solo trip to Disney last November. Did I feel guilty for this? Absolutely not! And, I had the best time! Self-care/self-love is one of the greatest gifts we can give to our children, single or otherwise. Enjoy your trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter