• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Simba's Summer (July) 2015 W.I.S.H. Weight Loss Challenge!! Any and All welcome to join!!

How do I get my name of this list? Sorry...new to posting and I can't quite figure out how the reporting and hosting works. I also did not know how to find the next mos. thread.

Don't worry. You get on the list by signing up to the thread and then me editing the post and add you in!

I am happy that you are here finally! I was thinking of you today and had planned to go and search for you tonight, but you found us!! Always look for the "WISH Weight Loss Challenge" thread with the current month in the title. We usually try to find a fun name for the month to motivate us. Last month Jiminy Cricket was our "mascot", this month it is Simba, August might be "Awesome August" or something like that.

I also posted a link in the last thread, but you must have missed it.

The reporting is quite easy: Just set your own goal for the month and every Friday you tell us how far you have come towards your goal. That's it!

I'm back from camping for the holiday weekend. We got the RV in a new seasonal place this year and we love it, except for the 2 yellow jacket nests we battled all day Friday. I got stung and was not feeling well after that but we still had a pretty good time. It was DS18's 19th birthday (got to change my ticker) Monday so cake, blech. And today is my brothers birthday so more cake.
I ran 4 miles yesterday, it went terrible! but I got it done. I'm not running today though, the basement is a muggy hot mess and outside is worse. I may go for a walk down the road later but I'm really not sure yet.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to best attack the pantry. We have gotten back into the habit of junk food and processed food. I need to find some better quick meals for summer and for the RV.

I wish I had the time to reply properly and get chatting with you guys!! So sorry that I am so absent! But it seems you all seem to do well with keeping the chatting going even without me. Work ist just crazy right now. I am in a big project that just becomes more and more complicated every day. And I have to admit that yesterday I chose to get my exercise in instead of sitting in front of the computer, but I guess you all understand that!!

Wednesday QOTD:

WooHoo Wednesday!! We are already one week into July - looking back share one thing from this first week that you are proud of, that went well or that made you happy!

Thank you for putting this together and keeping it going!

I am proud of the fact that I've tracked everything - good and bad - and that I've managed to stick to my plan. I've counted my snacks and unplanned splurges and made room for them. In the past, I've always given up with the first potato chip. I think I am FINALLY starting to get that a handful of potato chips is no reason to spend the next year eating like there is no tomorrow.

I loved to read everyone's successes from the past week! Still totally overwhelmed at work, so really feel like I can't spend much time here on the DIS. But I am glad to be able to come here and read. Today I made the mistake of stepping on the scale and I am up 3 pounds since the start of the month and that now adds up to 6 pounds since before my vacation in June. I have no idea why and how and am really annoyed about it. Of course today I had to eat at the cafeteria at work for lunch and everything they offer is really unhealthy. I ended up getting a pizza because I know that their pizzas are usually really good (it was) and not very heavy on the cheese. But still... I always seem to be sabotaging myself so efficiently and lack the willpower to become more organised about my eating... End of rant. Sorry for that, but venting helps! :goodvibes

QOTD for Thursday:

Let's talk about exercise! There are a lot of standard things we do to burn calories like walking, running or weight lifting. Have you ever tried anything more "exotic"? Tell us about it! Or if you haven't, is there anything you would love to try out?

QOTD for Thursday:

Let's talk about exercise! There are a lot of standard things we do to burn calories like walking, running or weight lifting. Have you ever tried anything more "exotic"? Tell us about it! Or if you haven't, is there anything you would love to try out?

Ok, I think I should start to at least answer my own QOTDs! I guess my most exotic thing was when I was a kid and my parents told me that I needed to pick up a sport, I - for whatever reason - said that I would like to try riding. My father thought that that was a brilliant idea as he had had some riding lessons when he was in his twenties and he found a new place in our area that had Icelandic horses. We went there for several years until I went to university and my father bought his own horse. It was not the most challenging exercise, but it did teach me the importance of core strength - which I was lacking then as well as today. One of my problem areas for sure!

I'm in! My goal for this month is to lose 5 pounds. That's my biggest goal. I also would like to do a cardio workout at least 3 times a week with strength training workouts at least twice a week. I need to learn how to better schedule my evenings because I feel like I never have enough time to workout (but have plenty of time to binge on Netflix).
Yeah....I have the same problem...lol!

I LOVE carbs!!! Anyone else! I'm looking for good lean protein, low carbs ideas. Anybody wanna share?
I'm assuming you mean those nice heavy carbs that make you feel full and are so delicious like bread and pastries...lol! I limit heavy carbs to either a bowl of oatmeal in the morning, or one slice of bread at any one of the meals. Whole grain of course. If I eat oatmeal, I don't have bread. So, every day I can eat one or the other. I eat the bread with almond butter...yummy.

Don't worry. You get on the list by signing up to the thread and then me editing the post and add you in!

I am happy that you are here finally! I was thinking of you today and had planned to go and search for you tonight, but you found us!! Always look for the "WISH Weight Loss Challenge" thread with the current month in the title. We usually try to find a fun name for the month to motivate us. Last month Jiminy Cricket was our "mascot", this month it is Simba, August might be "Awesome August" or something like that.

I also posted a link in the last thread, but you must have missed it.

The reporting is quite easy: Just set your own goal for the month and every Friday you tell us how far you have come towards your goal. That's it!
Okay thanks. I must have missed the link. Since it's already Thursday....I'll wait till next Friday to report. This is my goal for the month: I'd like to be at 150 pounds. I'm at 156 now. I have begun riding my bike 5 times around my circular drive-way and then change direction and do another 5 laps. I'd like to do this three times a day. I'm only at two right now. So looking forward to reporting a week from Friday! Oh...and just for reference...I started last November and weighed 213.

Water aerobics, while not exotic, is my favorite. I can't stand being hot and sweaty and being in the pool laminates most of that. Unfortunately there are no longer any classes that fit my schedule anywhere near me so no water aerobics for me right now.

I just learned about a trampoline park that is fairly near me that offers a boot camp class on the trampoline. Now that sounds fun! I may try it in the fall once I'm down a bit more.

Always look for the "WISH Weight Loss Challenge" thread with the current month in the title. We usually try to find a fun name for the month to motivate us. Last month Jiminy Cricket was our "mascot", this month it is Simba, August might be "Awesome August" or something like that.

Abu's Awesome August! :dogdance:

Happy Friday everyone!! I hit my 90 minutes this week, so I'm at 100% of my weekly goal, and up to 30% for my monthly goal! I need to get my eating back under control, though. Sigh.

Friday update: Weighed in at 159.2 this morning, for 2.8 lbs. down so far. I was NOT expecting that--I set a lower goal this month since I missed my goal last month! But I'll take it! That puts me at 70% of my 4lb. goal.

I feel like I've got a good routine going so far. I've been doing my cardio (basically one of 2 different Walk Slim videos with added hand weights) every day before lunch, and at night after the 3 youngest are in bed, either hubby or one of the teens stays home with them and the rest of us go for a 3-4 mile walk outside. We have 2 different convenience stores near our subdivision; one 3 miles (round trip) in one direction and the other 4 miles (round trip) in the opposite direction. My kids are very willing to walk that far if there's a Slurpee in it for them, lol! I'm good and stick with my water. :) I've been doing well sticking to my one cup of coffee and no soda so far.

Next week we're taking a mini vacation to San Antonio for a few days. The good news is we're spending 2 days at Sea World which will mean LOTS of walking while pushing a stroller. The not-so-good for my goals part is that we'll eat at our favorite Mexican restaurants on the Riverwalk and I know I'll order what I want not what sounds the healthiest, lol. Hopefully I won't post a gain at next week's check-in! :)

Happy Friday, y'all! :goodvibes

As of this morning, I have 135,010 of my 325,500 steps (41.5%) and 949 of my 2,728 water ounces (34.8%). Averaged out, I have progressed 38.1% toward my goals so far. :cheer2:

A couple FitBit friends have invited me to a "Workweek Hustle" challenge these past two weeks. So far, it's been incredibly motivating. I won't ever "win" because one of the guys is a complete maniac who can NOT let anyone stay ahead of him. (I think he may be a little crazy but, in a fun way. :dance3:) I'm walking as much as I can without avoiding too much of my actual responsibilities and I have discovered that I can get into the 16k-17k range just by moving every chance I get. If I total up the time I spend actually walking for exercise, I get about an hour a day. Besides that, just pacing whenever I don't really have to stand or sit still... it adds up too. Also, I'm trying to be a little LESS efficient with chores like laundry (when time permits)... make more trips to each bedroom when putting clothes away to get more steps.

Tomorrow will be the last day of South Beach phase one and then I'll be moving on to phase two. I don't know how many pounds I may have lost so far but, I can say that I can feel a difference and it feels good. :thumbsup2

Hope everyone is pleased with their progress so far this month and, together, we'll all keep on keepin' on! :yay:

Weighed in at 212.6 this morning for a loss of 3.6 since July 1. That puts me at 90% of the goal to lose 4 pounds in July. Woo hoo!

However, I'm only at 2/9 upper body workouts 22.2%. I'd better get lifting!

• I like the idea of averaging out my goals so that puts me at 56.1% so far for July!!

Well getting the workouts in has been hard. Summer is so busy w/ the kids home and their schedules. I did a great 3.5 miles walk around the University this morning while it's still cool. I'm 4 weeks away from my trip and really need to get in gear!!

I'm altering my goal slightly to 8.4 for the month and I'm at 35% of that today w a 3lb loss so far.

Thurs QOTD: nothing exotic here. I'm a addicted to my treadmill and know I need to switch it up. I did do the 21 day fix and Piyo workouts which I actually liked and found challenging but it was awesome to see progress in strength as I progress. I tweaked my shoulder with one of the yoga moves and took a break and as usual never restarted - just got back to walking.

Maybe I'll start again next week!

Today is report day! I see that a few of you have already reported in and that there are some great successes! Well done! I will update the progress some time this weekend!

For now, here is your QOTD for Friday:

What is your favorite healthy snack (or snacks)?

I love carrots and garlic hummus - but I eat the hummus out of a measured tablespoon (x2) or I'll just go to town on it! It's like my tiny little dipping bowl but I get 2 of them :)

Not much snacking here (when I'm true to my diet, at least...) but when I do snack, it's usually cheese or hard-boiled eggs. Low carb & high protein!

I like to keep my snacks around 150 calories. Favorites include dark chocolate chunk Kind bars, Chobani greek yogurt cups, and a cup of watermelon chunks with an ounce of fresh mozzarella cheese and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.

All of the above deal with my sweet needs. I have not found a satisfactory substitute for my salty/crispy snack desires so I've been strictly weighing out small portions of chips and only eating them as part of a meal - don't trust myself enough to try chips or even popcorn as a snack. Even hummus is iffy.

I am at 16.11 miles for July so far which is 26.8% of my July goal. Food and me have been struggling though, trying to get back where I want to be.

QOTD for Thursday:

I really want to try Barre. I've always loved ballet, and I think barre would be a fun way to incorporate elements of ballet into my current routine!
Abu's Awesome August! :dogdance:

I love that idea!

Berries. I love berries. My favorite are blueberries, but any kind of berries work for me!

So ... I set a goal for the month of 2 lbs because I figured I'd be up and down a bit (like I usually am) and 2 lbs at the end of the month was a manageable goal.
Today I weighed in at ... 2 lbs down, or 100%! Now I just have to hope I can keep it up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter