Simba's Summer (July) 2015 W.I.S.H. Weight Loss Challenge!! Any and All welcome to join!!

Sorry, work was crazy yesterday so I missed out on the QOTD for yesterday! That's why I am looking for volunteers to help coaching! :goodvibes

But always feel free to pop in and just chat even when there is no QOTD!

So, QOTD for Tuesday:

Do you have any "trigger foods" that are difficult for you to not overeat? If so, what is your strategy to deal with them? Stay away, allow yourself a tiny portion each day, indulge in them once a month, etc...? I am sure there are many different approaches - let's hear yours!

My baby is FOUR today...where does the time go? I have to make a birthday cake and try to be really good about only eating a little bit of it, lol! :)

I'm not keeping up very well at all with the crunch and planks 30-day challenges I was trying to do this month. Too many things to keep up with. I think I'm going to pretty much drop them, and just concentrate on getting in 30 minutes daily cardio (which I've kept up with consistently for about 3 weeks now-yay!) and trying to more consistently get up and walk around during the day so I can spread out my 12,000 steps a little better. Right now I'm getting them, but it's not uncommon to be 2,000 short at 10pm and have to drag hubby out for a walk around the block with me, lol. He'd appreciate it if I was done earlier! :)

Anyone have any good tips that work for y'all for purposefully getting in extra steps during the day? I'd love to hear them! :)

Trigger foods--SODA, lol! Does that even count as a food? If I keep it in the house, I can't pour myself a small cup and be done...I have to keep refilling it. Same with in restaurants--those unlimited refills kill me, especially in sit-down restaurants where the glasses are replaced with full ones as soon as the first glass gets below half full. My nemesis, I tell you! My way of dealing is not to keep it in the house, not to buy a 20-oz bottle anymore while waiting in the checkout line in the grocery store, and I've started ordering unsweetened iced tea in restaurants. I think it's been 2 weeks since I even allowed myself my weekly cheat Dr. Pepper. If I can stop drinking it entirely, that much the better! I've also stopped driving through Starbucks when I'm out running errands. Not soda, but still tons of liquid calories. And stopping that habit is also saving me $60-$75 a month to boot! I should be adding that to my Disney fund, lol! :)

My other trigger area is more rare lately, and that is eating in the car when I'm bored. We do long road trips with full days of driving, and it's too easy to grab a snack intending to just eat a little because I'm hungry, but then keep eating whatever it is because it's there and I'm stuck in a seat with nothing to do. We haven't traveled since we moved, so it hasn't been an issue lately. But for a while there we were spending 6-9 weeks at a time on the road once a year or so, with several shorter trips each year as well. Thankfully eating out of boredom at home isn't an issue (I can only wish I had time to be bored around here, lol) so I'm not fighting that battle right now.

the-lion-king-simba-young.jpg

Hello to all of you!! WELCOME ABOARD our Simba's Summer W.I.S.H. Weight Loss Challenge for July!

I am your hostess for the month and am looking forward to a month of success for all of you - maybe even a months of transformation from scared lion cub to proud lion!!

The rules are the same as in June, but to some of you that might be new, so please read this post carefully.

This month we are CHALLENGING ourselves to make real PROGRESS on this journey to be slimmer and healthier. Pick a goal (5 pounds off, 10% down, 10K steps a day, etc) and device a PLAN to reach that goal.

Share your GOAL and your PLAN with us (no need to post your specific weight.... just your goal) and then watch the colors change (like on this GORGEOUS rainbow castle) as you reach your JULY GOAL!

rainbow-castle-jpg.100017

PERCENTAGE TOWARD GOAL

1% -10% orange
11% - 20% bright pink
21% - 30% royal blue
31% - 40% purple
41% - 50% turquoise
51% - 60% copper
61% - 70% rose
71% - 80% kelly green
81% - 90% sky blue
91% - 99% red
100% WISH green

It will be up to YOU to decide on your goal, your plan and to report your progress toward that goal to me (flossbolna) through a private message (now called "conversations") every Friday (but I'll give an additional day for any stragglers, folks away, in another time zone, etc). Progress will be updated on Sundays (or Mondays if life gets crazy here). Looks for little online "awards" coming up as you reach your goal!

I am looking forward to a fabulous month of support and progress!
I would love to jump in with a goal of 5 pounds this month , I wasn't sure I would be able to participate since I have a busy month ahead of me with limited computer time ...I am going to give it my best ... I am 84 days away from my Disney trip and about 30 pounds away from my goal.

My Goals:
1 - Lose 2 lbs (after a rough June, I'm going for a very low goal - I'd rather exceed a low goal than not reach a high one)
2 - Continue running 2-3 times per week

My Plan:
1 - Meal Plan and stick to it! I know that there are some meals I can't plan in advance (because I'm not making them), but for the ones I can ... I need to plan and stick to the plan. One of my goals for today is to go through my meal plan for the rest of the week and fill in all of the holes (there was a lot of "I'll figure it out later" when I made the meal plan on Sunday)
2 - Pick 2-3 days every week when I want to run, and put it on my calendar! Usually I run first thing in the morning, so I like to set out my clothing the night before so that it's easier for me to get out the door.
3 - At least 2 non-running exercises per week - running is pretty much all I've been doing lately, and I know that it's not enough, so I really need to start reintroducing other exercises into my routine.

I'm sure I'll adjust the plan as the month goes on, but I think it's a good start!

So - different people definitely have different experiences with Fitbit. I've had the Fitbit One for almost 2 years and I love it. I know it's not always 100% accurate, but it's good at letting me know which days I'm more active and which days I need to make more of an effort - I tend to use my step count as more of a general guide than an exact number.
I really love my Fitbit and do recommend it, but I know that not everyone does, so don't be too surprised if you get one and wind up not liking it as much as you thought you would.
I have had a Fitbit Flex since May and I love it for one reason only....to challenge myself to put in the extra effort to hit those 10,000 steps. A couple times I actually went for an enjoyable stroll around the neighborhood just to log in more steps..just to see the graph go up. I was given the Fitbit as a gift and I did not touch it for 5 months, not believing it would help at all, now I love it. FYI - I do not do any food tracking on it I simply use it as a coach to encourage me to move !!!

I have an UP24 which I'm guessing is similar to Fitbit. I love mine, too, because it does remind me to keep moving. I was surprised at how little I move when I'm not purposeful about it. Mine also shows calories burned, which was VERY eye-opening. I had always assumed it was a safe bet that I was burning 1800 or more calories a day, but now that I'm pushing my step count to 12,000+ a day AND doing 37-47 minutes of cardio every day, my calories burned count is typically 2100-2300 a day. And the days I hit 2300 calories are the days that I really exceed my step goal and hit 15,000 steps or more. That means when I wasn't active it had to be MUCH lower. No wonder I was gaining weight, lol!

Oh, and I just added up my miles--since I started using my UP24 again on June 5, I've walked 171.5 miles!!! 100.8 of those have been in the past 16 days.

Happy July my friends!

June ended with my forgetting to WI before we left for vaca on the 26th and I haven't stepped on the scale yet :( our bathroom has been in remodel mode for the past 3 weeks and was just finished yesterday! So my scale was here and there and never where I would remember in the morning. Six fabulous days at all inclusive in Playa de Carmen, and honestly I didn't feel like I had gained much on returning home. Food was Devine but the portions were small and in check, though the open bar made me too many piña coladas. We returned home late Thursday and left immediately Friday morning for long holiday weekend with my family. This is where I feel like the pounds crept up. Idk if it was the lack of activity, I did actually get two WO in Mexico which Is rare for me to WO on vaca. Or a combo of that and by this time a week of higher steroid dosing to keep up with everyone. So yesterday and today I'm persevering through my steroid withdrawal back to normal dose.....however I leave Thursday for a long weekend at a conference for Adrenal Insufficiency folks like myself. I hope to learn a lot, but meals out for three days again :(. Hoping to get through that without extra 'roids and will pack a WO outfit for the hotel. The following weekend thurs - sun is our annual scrapbook bed and breakfast type retreat with waaayyyyy too much food there. So sadly I'm going to be happy if I can log any WO in this month....the traveling and busy activity just reeks havoc on my body. My dog is back home and she wants to walk but I've been out of steam. My goal this month is to check in and keep this group in my mind and keep the attitudes here when I make my food choices on the road. My real goal is to not gain weight this month.......

Posting in. I am trying to get some sort of work out in each day.
1st Kickboxing
2nd-walked 45 minues
3rd-Body Pump class
4th-walked the dog.
5th-Closed my eyes and went to a new swimming pool and swam laps-I love swimming
6t. CRX-class for 30 minutes (Core Class), than 50 minutes of Kickboxing.

Which character do I relate with? Nemo-Just keep swimming. It is my happy place and my motto to keep exercising.

So, QOTD for Tuesday:

Do you have any "trigger foods" that are difficult for you to not overeat? If so, what is your strategy to deal with them? Stay away, allow yourself a tiny portion each day, indulge in them once a month, etc...? I am sure there are many different approaches - let's hear yours!
Potato chips. Oh my gosh I could sit down and finish a bag (with dip of course) in one sitting. I have to keep them out of the house. If I make a huge effort for a month or so I should be able to return to having them as a treat, but right now I truly can't eat just one. :) I also go a little crazy with the coke sometimes. I am limiting myself to one small serving a day with the hopes of kicking the habit (again) once things get on a regular schedule here. :)

So, QOTD for Tuesday:

I can overeat just about anything salty or sweet but I can usually manage to limit myself to a reasonable ports of chips, popcorn, cookies, brownies, ice cream, and just about anything else if I measure it into a bowl or plate and sit down to slowly eat it.

The exception and thus a trigger food for me is cheesy crackers (cheez-its, cheese nips, goldfish, snack mix involving cheesy crackers). I primarily try to stay away from them and never keep them in the house. I will generally buy a small bag or box of one of them if we are headed on a road trip. My husband's best friend tends to bring a box of cheez-it snack mix whenever he comes to a party or gathering at our house because he knows I love them and I'm too embarrased to tell him that I can't deal with having them around. On the 4th, I measured myself out one ounce and very slowly ate the bowl one piece at a time. Thankfully they were gone by the time I went back to the kitchen in search of more!

My baby is FOUR today...where does the time go? I have to make a birthday cake and try to be really good about only eating a little bit of it, lol! :)

I'm not keeping up very well at all with the crunch and planks 30-day challenges I was trying to do this month. Too many things to keep up with. I think I'm going to pretty much drop them, and just concentrate on getting in 30 minutes daily cardio (which I've kept up with consistently for about 3 weeks now-yay!) and trying to more consistently get up and walk around during the day so I can spread out my 12,000 steps a little better. Right now I'm getting them, but it's not uncommon to be 2,000 short at 10pm and have to drag hubby out for a walk around the block with me, lol. He'd appreciate it if I was done earlier! :)

Anyone have any good tips that work for y'all for purposefully getting in extra steps during the day? I'd love to hear them! :)

Happy Birthday to your baby!

I broke my ankle last week so I'm not doing much of anything right now but a big part of my regular plan is trying to exceed 10,000 steps every day. My dog really liked our late night get in the steps walks but DH, not so much. It helped me a lot to make sure I took at least 500 (and preferably more) steps every time I used the bathroom, even if just marching in place or doing side steps. I drink a lot of water so had plenty of opportunity!

Joining in...

My goal will be to do a 20 minute Pilates workout 14 times during the month of July.

3rd Pilates workout done. Not sure if it's my imagination but I feel taller (better posture I guess) and it seems easier to get up off the floor, sofa, bed, etc. Yahoo!

So, QOTD for Tuesday:

Pretty much anything that can be found in a bakery nom nom! If I bake brownies I would eat the whole pan before bed no question. I really can't keep stuff like that in the house although I hope someday I will be able to. For now though, I buy individual or smaller portions, split stuff with DH, eat lighter throughout the day so I can have a treat later, things like that.

It helped me a lot to make sure I took at least 500 (and preferably more) steps every time I used the bathroom, even if just marching in place or doing side steps.

That's a really good idea! I'm going to try that.

I wish I had the time to reply properly and get chatting with you guys!! So sorry that I am so absent! But it seems you all seem to do well with keeping the chatting going even without me. Work ist just crazy right now. I am in a big project that just becomes more and more complicated every day. And I have to admit that yesterday I chose to get my exercise in instead of sitting in front of the computer, but I guess you all understand that!!

Wednesday QOTD:

WooHoo Wednesday!! We are already one week into July - looking back share one thing from this first week that you are proud of, that went well or that made you happy!

Sorry, work was crazy yesterday so I missed out on the QOTD for yesterday! That's why I am looking for volunteers to help coaching! :goodvibes

But always feel free to pop in and just chat even when there is no QOTD!

So, QOTD for Tuesday:

No worries, just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook it!

QOTD Tuesday: SWEETS. Oh my goodness. Especially baked sweets. We stopped keeping them in the house altogether, which has helped a ton. When we go to my parents' house on Saturdays, though, it's another story... They almost always have baked things!

QOTD Wednesday: I'm happy that I have at least managed to maintain my weight loss. I haven't lost any more, but I have been REALLY bad about my food choices since last Thursday, so I'm thankful that I haven't gained. I've been really stressed out lately, and when I stress, I eat.

Finally got my blood work results back, and the results were consistent with PCOS, so I'll be starting a couple of new medications this month, and I'm really anxious about how they might derail my weight loss efforts. There is definitely zero time for me to gain anything and try to lose it again! Ugh, stress stress stress.

Finally got my blood work results back, and the results were consistent with PCOS, so I'll be starting a couple of new medications this month, and I'm really anxious about how they might derail my weight loss efforts. There is definitely zero time for me to gain anything and try to lose it again! Ugh, stress stress stress.

Do you mind if I ask what medications you'll be taking? I have PCOS as well and actually have an appointment to go to an OB/GYN in a couple weeks because it is out of control (and makes weight loss/maintenance super difficult). So I was just curious what they put you on. In the past I've been on Metformin which I didn't love but I don't love having unregulated PCOS either!

WooHoo Wednesday!! We are already one week into July - looking back share one thing from this first week that you are proud of, that went well or that made you happy!

Yesterday I did a great job of sticking to the schedule that I had planned out for myself! I would have on Monday too but as I was getting ready to leave for work at 5:30 the tornado sirens went off and I spent the next 20 minutes in the lower level of our parking garage. Between that and the rain I didn't get home until late and had noooo motivation to do anything. But yesterday went wonderfully!

Do you mind if I ask what medications you'll be taking? I have PCOS as well and actually have an appointment to go to an OB/GYN in a couple weeks because it is out of control (and makes weight loss/maintenance super difficult). So I was just curious what they put you on. In the past I've been on Metformin which I didn't love but I don't love having unregulated PCOS either!

What was it that you didn't like about the Metformin? Was there anything you did like? I started it this morning (250mg 2x a day for 2 weeks, then 500mg 2x a day for 4 weeks) and at the end of the month I'll add in Necon 1/35. I'll have a follow up appointment in 6-8 weeks to see how they're working. I don't really know much about either prescription. They said the Metformin may help with the weight loss, so I'm hoping! Did you notice any loss when you were on it?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share here. :)

List of Participants

alrushton 20%
Beamo2014
Belle0101
BernardandMissBianca
bethk78 14%
Candy1971
Connie96
Dawnlight
DisPup75 12.5%
dsnyfn1022
finny1981 13.9%
JacknSally 1%
JennysSeven 15%
Keithsmomma
KriiI
OhMari
pjlla
SarahDisney 25%
Zim
Zoesmama03
How do I get my name of this list? Sorry...new to posting and I can't quite figure out how the reporting and hosting works. I also did not know how to find the next mos. thread.

I am a little swamped this week (which is an interesting change of pace for someone who is used to having a lot of free time) so I haven't had much time to stop and chat, but I've been reading along.

Here are my answers to the QOTDs ... so at least I'm chatting a little!

So, QOTD for Tuesday:

Chocolate ... I can eat chocolate all day. I try not to keep it in the house - most of the time the only chocolate I have is the piece or two that I get from a friend every week, and I try to make that chocolate last the whole week!

Wednesday QOTD:

I've been doing pretty well at getting in my non-running exercise - I did a video on Friday and another one yesterday, a little bit of pilates on Sunday, and I went for a walk earlier today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter