• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Silliest question/comment you've heard about Disney?

"Disney world is a once in a lifetime trip. Maximise your time as you probably won't do it again."

Thats what I honestly believed in 1998 on our first and what I thought only trip.... we are from the UK, come now every year and are DVC members. Oh how I naive I was. I still hear first timers say this....I cant even count how many times we have been I dont even know lol. We call it our second home!

"Disney world is a once in a lifetime trip. Maximise your time as you probably won't do it again."

I think the second part of that quote is actually why WDW is a "once in a lifetime trip" for a lot of people -- after racing around all those enormous parks, they figure they wouldn't survive the experience twice! ;)

I was talking to a friend last year about how much I love Disney World and she told me she had gone to Epcot once when she was down in Florida. I told her Epcot was my favorite park and she was like "really? I thought it was kind of boring. It was just a bunch of countries."

Apparently she and whoever she went with completely missed the front half of the park. :confused3

When I go to Epcot, I love visiting the countries. I usually skip the front of the park stuff, if I'm short on time. I do love Living with the Land, though. The greenhouses are lovely! Captain Eo is a favorite, too. The first time I saw it was at Tokyo Disney and it always brings back good memories from that trip.

shalom said:
I think the second part of that quote is actually why WDW is a "once in a lifetime trip" for a lot of people -- after racing around all those enormous parks, they figure they wouldn't survive the experience twice! ;)

Unfortunately I think that's the biggest truth. We have family that went with just enough info (from a TA and a friend) to be dangerous. The did enjoy parts of it and got lucky by going in an off-time, but by the end they were miserable. The worst part is that no one wants to admit they had a miserable trip. So now it's a "do once", "not really for us", "we'd rather go somewhere new" scenario. It's really a shame.

I think the key to remember is "maximizing" your time doesn't necessarily mean racing everywhere and running yourself ragged. Our first trip was a last minute thing - we suddenly had plane tickets and two free days in Orlando. We knew we would get to Disney at some point but had no immediate plans to do so. Still, we decided that the best use of our time was to do only MK. We didn't see everything, but we saw a lot more than just the main attractions. And we did the afternoon nap both days. We were on a plan and commando touring at Rope Drop. But if we hadn't taken time out to rest we wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much. Maximizing your time does not have to mean stressing your family beyond the breaking point.

The one I hear the most is "Isn't it just like Six Flags?" because we have a Six Flags here. I have even heard that it is just like the State Fair. Oh my gosh :(

laceemouse said:
The one I hear the most is "Isn't it just like Six Flags?" because we have a Six Flags here. I have even heard that it is just like the State Fair. Oh my gosh :(

*lol* Yes, it's just like the State Fair. That's why people spend thousands of dollars - so they can ride the ferris wheel and eat corn dogs. ;)

I don't know if you all are aware of this or not, but you can only eat with the characters IF you are on the DXDDP because it takes 2 credits to eat with them. :rotfl: 2 different people I work with have paid for/upgraded to the DXDDP cause their kids wanted to eat with characters. I tried to explain that you don't have to have DDP at all, let alone deluxe, and that most character meals aren't 2 credits but they don't believe me. Oh and they can't believe that I spend less then they spent and we go for more days and have more kids. I must be getting a discount because we go so often! Don't I wish! :rotfl2:

My inlaws have had many opportunities to go while visiting people in Florida but think its just like our local park, Kennywood. Now Kennywood is a great place and is called America's Best Traditional Amusement park and even has Dole Whips, but its not WDW.

They mostly boycott it since they got rid of the $7.95 General Admission. (You would then buy tickets)

But now they are older and visit people and I swear their vacation day is now

• wake up
  • eat breakfast
  • sit around and talk about what they are going to have for lunch
  • eat lunch
  • sit around and talk about where they are going to have dinner
  • eat dinner
  • sit around until bedtime complaining about dinner
  • go to bed
  • Next day lather, rinse, repeat
:rotfl:

chartle said:
My inlaws have had many opportunities to go visiting people in Florida but think its just like our local park, Kennywood. Now Kennywood is a great place and is called America's Best Traditional Amusement park and even has Dole Whips, but its not WDW.

Wait, so you're saying I didn't miss out on anything as a child by not going to Disney because we went to Kennywood every year? *rotfl*

Anyway, I was always more partial to Cedar Point. ;)

Wait, so you're saying I didn't miss out on anything as a child by not going to Disney because we went to Kennywood every year? :rotfl:

Actually my park growing up was West View Park (Union Picnic) and/or Idlewild (Company Picnic). Kennywood was my wife's and we went to CP a few times.

I really only started going to Kennywood because of dating her oh and the fact that West View Park kind of burned to ground and is now a shopping plaza. :sad2:

chartle said:
Actually my park growing up was West View Park (Union Picnic) and/or Idlewild (Company Picnic). Kennywood was my wife's and we went to CP a few times.

I really only started going to Kennywood because of dating her oh and the fact that West View Park kind of burned to ground and is now a shopping plaza. :sad2:

Yay Idlewild. Also went to many company picnics there in the 70s. And yay Storybook Forest!

chartle said:
Have you been back? that keyhole got really small over the years.

LOL. Yes, we took my kids there for a trip in 2006 and took pictures of the, to match my old pictures!

chartle said:
My inlaws have had many opportunities to go visiting people in Florida but think its just like our local park, Kennywood. Now Kennywood is a great place and is called America's Best Traditional Amusement park and even has Dole Whips, but its not WDW.

They mostly boycott it since they got rid of the $7.95 General Admission. (You would then buy tickets)

But now they are older and visit people and I swear their vacation day is now

[*]wake up
[*]eat breakfast
[*]sit around and talk about what they are going to have for lunch
[*]eat lunch
[*]sit around and talk about where they are going to have dinner
[*]eat dinner
[*]sit around until bedtime complaining about dinner
[*]go to bed
[*]Next day lather, rinse, repeat

:rotfl:

You just described my in-laws!

LOVE this thread!!! :happytv: I think the craziest thing I have ever heard was 'Disney isn't for kids!' and 'I'm not taking my kids until they are teenagers because they will be too young' and then there is the 'Normally we would go now but I'm not taking a baby to to Disney since it will cost too much extra, so we are waiting until the baby is 3 or 4' :confused3 :scratchin

LOL. Yes, we took my kids there for a trip in 2006 and took pictures of the, to match my old pictures!

As a kid for me it was the late 60's early 70's and it was the Duquesne Light Company Picnic. One year I must have been around 5, since my younger sister wasn't around yet, my mother made us all matching plaid shirts. Picture made the company newsletter. :goodvibes

Have gone back with my "kids" many times but they are getting too old now (see my sig) and haven't been there in maybe 10 or so years and for some reason we don't go with my younger sister who has a DD6.

I'm getting old and now have to wait for Grandchildren. :scared1:

Hey whats for dinner I hope they have a good piece of fish. :lmao:

Wait, so you're saying I didn't miss out on anything as a child by not going to Disney because we went to Kennywood every year? *rotfl*

Could be worse, our "big" trip was always to Waldameer in Erie. :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter