Signed up for my 1st 1/2 marathon!!!

princess&her4princes

DIS Veteran
Hi Fellow Disers!!

I'm new to the W.I.S.H boards...been on DIS for quite awhile though. I'm a fairly new runner, have done 4 5ks (after completely couch to 5K last Spring), signed up to run the Race to Home Base 9k at Fenway next month (gulp!) and just signed up to do my 1st 1/2 marathon in October in Long Island! I'm loving running, have some hurdles with shin splints, trying to lose weight after having 3 babies and reclaim this body of mine. Any tips for running are always appreciated! Anyone else training for a 1/2 marathon?

Thanks for letting me join you on the W.I.S.H boards!!!:goodvibes

:welcome:

It's always good to have another person around. I'm finishing up my training to walk my first half marathon on May 16th. You might want to look at the event/competition sub-board listed at the top. It carries most of the race talk. Good luck. My best tip is start training early. I started my training a month before I needed to and having that cushion has really helped (especially during this winter). I have been able to get in a couple of more long run and was able to miss a long run without completely derailing my plans.

Kristen,Congrats on getting out there! It does become addicting so beware.I was also considering doing the Race to home Base but thought it would be tough to raise $1000.I am also in Mass.

As far as shin splints go- I have been there, stretch and use ice after every run, you may even need to stop for a while depending on how bad they are.Most important don't go to far or too fast too soon, the body likes to be eased into these things.

Great to see you around these boards- keep up the good work.Go to the journal part of the WISH board where you can keep track of your progress and others can offer support.

Linda

Congrats!!! yes, you will be hooked. Better go ahead and sign up for the 1/2 in January. :thumbsup2

Congratulations. Everyone is correct, you will be hooked. I signed up for my first half 6 months ahead of time and just ran it 10 days ago. I've already asked hubby to buy me my next registration for Mothers Day (he doesn't think people should pay to run). So, I'm willing to give up my jewelry or perfume to run another. It was fun, but I was intimidated not knowing what to expect. As I was running the last 3 miles I told myself I wasn't doing it again, but by the next day, I was ready for more!

Great that you have found us! Please do stop over to the Events/Competition side of the WISH boards where you will find many discussions dealing with event training, offering helpful hints, and ideas for more events!

Hope you find your way out of the shin splints and on to happy runs/walks.

Congratulations! :goodvibes I'm currently training for a Disney half (I did a half last November but I wasn't in love with running like I am now and I wasn't as prepared as I feel I will be this time). It definitely is addictive! Eating bananas help with shin splints (as well as building the muscles in your legs). Good luck! :yay:

If you're new to running one of the biggest mistakes that can lead to shinsplints is overstriding. It was a mistake I made for years (and by years I mean about 6), and last summer at one point or another I changed my stride just a little. Huge difference, not only did I run faster I was significantly less sore. So make sure you're not reaching your foot way out in front of you or taking large strides, you want to take lots of short quick ones as opposed to fewer large ones. Try to land with your foot underneath or only slightly ahead of your body. also try to make sure you're landing with a slightly bent knee and not excessively moving up and down

Oh and half marathons are certainly one of my favorite categories.

If you're new to running one of the biggest mistakes that can lead to shinsplints is overstriding. It was a mistake I made for years (and by years I mean about 6), and last summer at one point or another I changed my stride just a little. Huge difference, not only did I run faster I was significantly less sore. So make sure you're not reaching your foot way out in front of you or taking large strides, you want to take lots of short quick ones as opposed to fewer large ones. Try to land with your foot underneath or only slightly ahead of your body. also try to make sure you're landing with a slightly bent knee and not excessively moving up and down

I definitely agree. When I first started running I had all sorts of pain in my hips, ankles, and knees. Jillian Michaels had a Podcast back then (a year ago, I'm a newbie runner) and was talking about running strides on one show and I realized I was running all wrong, long strides, swinging my arms too much, and leaning slightly forward. Once I focused on these and worked on changing them I never have pain in my hips or ankles anymore (sometimes still in my knees but it's becoming more and more rare and I know that's because I have bad knees).

I definitely agree. When I first started running I had all sorts of pain in my hips, ankles, and knees. Jillian Michaels had a Podcast back then (a year ago, I'm a newbie runner) and was talking about running strides on one show and I realized I was running all wrong, long strides, swinging my arms too much, and leaning slightly forward. Once I focused on these and worked on changing them I never have pain in my hips or ankles anymore (sometimes still in my knees but it's becoming more and more rare and I know that's because I have bad knees).
Wow; thanks for the tips, guys. I just started and my style has been exactly what you posted! I didn't realize it will cause pain later. I have to admit that I'm a bit lazy with the plethora of information out there, so any tips I can find here are much appreciated! Are there any particular rituals I should perform to avoid shin splints and any other physical issues? Thanks much!

Hey guys I am new around here, but I had to put my 2 cents in regarding the 1/2 marathons. I did my 1st in Jan and I can see why you guys say it is addictive.

I will be competing in another one next month and I can say I am even more prepared, but I love the challenge.

Oh and half marathons are certainly one of my favorite categories.

this is some great info!! I just started running in November and am in training for the Wine and Dine half..

for me, a large part is just the mental challenge to keep moving forward. I would say for the first few months I really didn't even enjoy it, but now that I can run 4 miles or more it has really become something I enjoy.

I live in Brooklyn. hope we meet up sometime on a run!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter