Shuttergirl taking on the US hehe - NOW WITH some PHOTOS See Post 1 for links

Hi Shuttergirl
I also have only just dropped in to your last year's report-given we will be in NY soon it was great to read your experiences-glad you got used to the subway- I haven't been to NY yet but can't imagine not using it (but we've never really been cab people). Bit worried about all the walking in the heat-and I know we will WALK!! and having to cut afternoons short to get back, change and go back out for shows, 4th July fireworks etc -so evenings are gobbled up! I have noted Les Halles as I was wondering where to eat in our downtown wander day. Did you reserve in advance (on-line? phone? person?) for many places beforehand (I imagine Les Halles I will have to).

LOVED hearing about your trip to WDW. Sounds like you had a ball and plenty of rest/pool time which is nice. Think my DD would have liked a little more of that last trip. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge too and were really rapt but future trips if watching the $ Pop would be up there as an option. Visiting AKL (for a great dinner at Boma) we loved it too but not sure about the distance to everywhere else. We went to WDW before Christmas and it was brilliant-not sure if MVMCP was really worth the extra $ to be honest-it was packed and really just a few extras- but the atmosphere and the Xmas Parade and soap flake snow on Main St and the Goofy Xmas story show was kind of neat. I did read you can time it to see the same parade later in the weeks after they finish the parties. It was freezing that night so fitted the theme and we needed the hot chocolate and cookies! I am glad we did it once though. We also really appreciated all the Xmas extras in Epcot and Osborne Lights in DHS where I got a little teary with the moment. We had 8 nights with 1 full day in each of DHS and AK (which we loved as we love animals and spent ages on the trails as well as the shows). Ended up spending 2 days at EPCOT as we really enjoyed spending time in each country too (and they had Xmas storytellers relevant to their traditions that kept waylaying us), 2 days and an evening at MK and one "rest" day-but ended up visiting some of the other resorts like Grand Floridian and Polynesian and Downtown. With an older child we could keep going longer and at night more easily though. We felt another rest day mixed in would have been good.

I plan to post a trip report when we get back (not at the time I doubt! though we're debating about taking the Netbook with us) on this board as our Disney fix is just a short one at the start of the trip at DLR (park hoppers so we can have a quick look at DCA too) with the focus really NY and Washington (and another short side-track to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas on the way back).

Getting excited! :rainbow:

Thanks...I think.....but you do a pretty good job yourself!

What does "I think" mean??? I was most definitely complimenting you. I hope you didn't take it a different way because that was certainly not what I meant. You know how I love your TRs.

Loved your TR:lovestruc

Your kids are gorgeous and they looked like they really enjoyed themselves. And I was so happy you did a final summary - especially about the amount of time you need to experience WDW, I have heard so much conflicting information on how many days for each park etc..

I felt like I was there with you each day - wonderful:goodvibes

Funny story about time needed at WDW. I have some dear friends who have just arrived home Saturday after a whirlwind NYC/WDW/UK/Italy 5 week trip. She gave a few updates throughout the trip on Facebook. When they said they were going to WDW, they asked how many days they needed there. I said 10. Her husband went right off :scared1:. NO way was he spending 10 days, how ridiculous blah blah blah. I said, ok then have to have a minimum of 7 days. One day at Universal and Harry Potter (of course they prob needed more) and 5 days at parks and one day at water park. I knew they would be racing around like crazy :eek: but I was glad that her husband eventually agreed to 7 days.

She sent me a message that they love love loved WDW, and of course, 7 days was no where near enough. And that came from her husband. :banana: I just love being right :rotfl2::rotfl2:. I think he felt that it was only because I am :love: in love with Disney that I suggested those times but I'm glad he now realises that wasn't the case at all.

Hi Shuttergirl
I also have only just dropped in to your last year's report-given we will be in NY soon it was great to read your experiences-glad you got used to the subway- I haven't been to NY yet but can't imagine not using it (but we've never really been cab people). Bit worried about all the walking in the heat-and I know we will WALK!! and having to cut afternoons short to get back, change and go back out for shows, 4th July fireworks etc -so evenings are gobbled up! I have noted Les Halles as I was wondering where to eat in our downtown wander day. Did you reserve in advance (on-line? phone? person?) for many places beforehand (I imagine Les Halles I will have to).

LOVED hearing about your trip to WDW. Sounds like you had a ball and plenty of rest/pool time which is nice. Think my DD would have liked a little more of that last trip. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge too and were really rapt but future trips if watching the $ Pop would be up there as an option. Visiting AKL (for a great dinner at Boma) we loved it too but not sure about the distance to everywhere else. We went to WDW before Christmas and it was brilliant-not sure if MVMCP was really worth the extra $ to be honest-it was packed and really just a few extras- but the atmosphere and the Xmas Parade and soap flake snow on Main St and the Goofy Xmas story show was kind of neat. I did read you can time it to see the same parade later in the weeks after they finish the parties. It was freezing that night so fitted the theme and we needed the hot chocolate and cookies! I am glad we did it once though. We also really appreciated all the Xmas extras in Epcot and Osborne Lights in DHS where I got a little teary with the moment. We had 8 nights with 1 full day in each of DHS and AK (which we loved as we love animals and spent ages on the trails as well as the shows). Ended up spending 2 days at EPCOT as we really enjoyed spending time in each country too (and they had Xmas storytellers relevant to their traditions that kept waylaying us), 2 days and an evening at MK and one "rest" day-but ended up visiting some of the other resorts like Grand Floridian and Polynesian and Downtown. With an older child we could keep going longer and at night more easily though. We felt another rest day mixed in would have been good.

I plan to post a trip report when we get back (not at the time I doubt! though we're debating about taking the Netbook with us) on this board as our Disney fix is just a short one at the start of the trip at DLR (park hoppers so we can have a quick look at DCA too) with the focus really NY and Washington (and another short side-track to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas on the way back).

Getting excited! :rainbow:

We didn't make reservations for Les Halles actually but we did get there right on 12 on a Saturday. I'm fairly certain if you were going on a weekday that you would probably have to make reservations because I assume many businessmen and women would eat there. It is in a weird little dingy side street but once you are inside it's awesome. I can't wait to hear your thoughts and in comparison to Times Square prices you will be positively blown away at how cheap it is. I think from memory we paid $77ish for our meals and had paid $125 at Applebys the day before or something similar ;).

Sounds like you have a very busy time planned for NYC and as you say, with an older child you can keep going for longer. We were really big on the arvo nap to be honest :rotfl:.

WDW at Christmas time sounds sheer perfection. We would never be able to actually be there for Christmas or earlier in December now that our daughter is at highschool and with the week between Christmas and NYE so busy, I would imagine the only chance we would potentially get to go is perhaps arriving 1st Jan or something like that. My understanding is the Osborne lights are still up until the 3rd usually and that most decos are coming down by around 4th or 5th so if we hightailed it around the parks just looking at decorations we would hopefully still get to see them. As for the Christmas party, we would miss that which is so disappointing, but hopefully one day when the kids are older we could take off after their exams in mid December or something and go then. I can dream :love:.

I hope you can share a trip report either while you are there or when you get back. Either way we all just love reading about other people's experiences so whenever you could write one would be an absolute bonus to us aussie disers.

Just re-looked through your photos, they are so amazing!!! Am very jealous your boys got to go to WWE! I went to TNA while in Orlando but they hardly compare. I also meet an Aussie girl working at the front desk of POP who was telling me about the college program, think she was from Perth if I remember correctly.

I wouldnt worry too much about school in December - have you ever noticed how many teens are out and about that time of year - after the exams they do very little.

My DD is in Year 10 - and after sc exams in November - there is pretty much nothing for them to do, I know last year a lot of them with part time jobs were pretty much encouraged to pick up extra hours if they could - its only the social side of school thats important at that time of year. :rotfl:

We could never holiday that time of year though as DH is tied to retail industry. :eek: No rest for them until after Xmas...

Yay a new trip report (well new to me)!!! I haven't started reading yet but am looking forward to working my way through (and not having to wait in suspense for the next installment) Especially looking forward to your WDW days!

Thanks for sharing your photos.

We are staying at POP too. We are looking to get a 7 day hopper pass.

Do you think going to Universal for 1 day was enough?

Thanks for sharing your photos.

We are staying at POP too. We are looking to get a 7 day hopper pass.

Do you think going to Universal for 1 day was enough?

We had been to Universal in LA the year before so our one day at Universal Orlando was mainly meant to see Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Since there are two whole parks at Orlando Universal, if you haven't been at all before, I think you might want to consider 2 days. However, if you are people who tour from early until late late late, you could perhaps do 2 parks in a day.

Harry Potter is awesome but so crowded that it's hard to spend longer than 2 hours there or you go mad :scared1:

Ms Shuttergirl, your TR was just as good the second time around! I always love looking at your photos. They really do capture the moments.

awww thanks Shushh. My holiday photos are never technically great, my clients would be appalled :lmao:, but I am more concerned with living in the moment and capturing that so in the end, I'm always happy.

I just wanted to say I finally had a chance to read you TR start to finish. I loved it! I would love to do New York one day and your trip there looked great! I also loved seeing your whole WDW trip. Looks like you had an amazing time. I loved seeing it all through your photos! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Me too, I've read it twice now!! I have written down bits and pieces of where you stayed and interesting things you did... we have a tentative date of Dec 2012 for our trip..... so very excited!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter