• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shrek Takes On Mickey: The Dreamworks Experience Aboard Allure of the Seas 9/18-25

...for a birthday shout out! Today Sarah turns 4! FOUR! I can't believe it!

May12134.jpg

I hope to catch up, I know I am waaay behind on replies. I started a gigantic muti-quote reply the other night and lost it when my internet disconnected and I tired to refresh. One of these days I'll learn to copy and paste into word before I start an undertaking like that! ;)

So I might have to do them in batches- lot of great questions though. i have the answers...coming soon! (Today B and Sav have their voice and instrument recitals and then we are going out to dinner for Sarah's birthday! We told her she can pick any restaurant she wants..as long as it isn't Mc Donalds! LOL! :rotfl:

Happy Weekend, gang!:thumbsup2

I cant believe she's 4 already. I remember walking by seeing her in her stroller on deck LONG ago :) Hope she had a great bday party!

Good luck to B and Savan!!!

Happy Birthday Sarah! Her dress (and cake!) are adorable!
That chocolate breakfast looks amazing! Do you know if it is only on the Oasis ships?

Happy birthday...you should've also add chuck e cheeses. Claire always picks that...and it's just gross. So we tell her we'll eat somewhere else and go play for a bit there...and come home and dip our bodies in santizer then. :rotfl:

Just found and read your entire report, thus far, over a the last few days. Loving it and can't wait to read more!

Just finished reading your entire report so far....wow...that ship is AMAZING. I must do it!! Thanks for taking the time to post all of the pics!!

C'mon Jen let's wrap this thing up, there talking about ya on the Main DCL page...:goodvibes J/K. We're in the throes of recital(s) right now. It'll be a few days until she can get back to Dis-ing.

Ron

I am enjoying reading this. Mthank you for taking the time. We were on the Allure in March and are booked on the Fantasy next March. I feel like I am reliving our cruise by reading this. We loved the Allure. We are Diamond Cruisers to RCCl, so the switch over, With no perks is the biggest doubt I am having about the Fantasy. It is a hard change especially after going o. allure. There really is nothing like it.

Saturday September 24 – Day 7 – At Sea

Oh no, Alex’s dirty little secret- male pattern baldness!

Allure9-24136.jpg

Now we know why he wanted the sombrero from Rita's on Day One.

Good tr! I feel making it the 37 pages so far is a worthy accomplishment! :surfweb::cool1:

Gosh guys, I'm so sorry. No excuses besides being busy.

:blush:

Anyhow, on with the show!

Around 11:20 or so we headed out to collect the kids and go see the DreamWorks Aquatheater Show: Let You Entertain ME! This features the characters from Madagascar!

Allure9-24203.jpg

We arrived about 20-25 minutes early. The center section was already full but plenty of seating in the two flanking sections, even up close.

We chose “our” seats that we had been in for every performance in the Aquatheater so far. And the kids went to the Splash Zone, of course! There were a lot more folks in the Splash Zone for this show than any other show or event we had been there for. And they pretty much got the wettest in this one too.

Allure9-24206.jpg

What, Mom? ANOTHER picture?

Stage setup;

Allure9-24207.jpg

Crowd is pretty full!

Allure9-24208.jpg

A few minutes before show time, a staff member and some of the dancers come out and taught everyone a little dance that the audience would be doing during the show. It was cute and fun and definitely helped pass the time as we waited for the show to start!

Allure9-24210.jpg

Allure9-24211.jpg

And then it started!

(Video: Click Picture to Play!)

It was a fun show- not as much spectacular diving and stunts as OceanAria (no high dives) but still a taste of it.

Allure9-24222.jpg

Allure9-24220.jpg

Allure9-24225.jpg

Allure9-24228.jpg

Allure9-24231.jpg

Allure9-24240.jpg

Alex- glad to see you fixed your comb over!

Allure9-24241.jpg

How those girls managed to keep those swimsuits oh so-snug on their behinds, nary moving a millimeter I’ll never know. Must be a trade secret. Or some really strong double sided tape!

Allure9-24251.jpg

Yikes. I warned you, on Allure you will see many small swimsuits and large parts that should be covered!

Allure9-24260.jpg

So, the premise of the show is King Julien is in control of the water supply and requires entertainment to consider flipping the switch and letting it flow. Each character, Gloria, Mort, and finally Alex take their turn at influencing King Julien to give it up.

Allure9-24269.jpg

Allure9-24275.jpg

Allure9-24281.jpg

And it’s the big dance number at the end that wins him over. The water flows and a barrage of singing, dancing, flipping, tumbling, and diving, splashing and strong arming ensues.

Here’s the grand finale (spoiler...in case you want to wait to see it onboard)
If not- click to play!

We very much enjoyed the show-especially of course, the kids. But as you can see in the videos a LOT of the adults got into it too. I didn’t even realize that I was dancing along as well until I came home and watched the videos (sorry about that!) I really think this is another one of those don’t miss shows. And we got VERY lucky too…usually this show is performed twice, back to back at noon and 1:30 or so on the last Sea Day (on the Eastern- Western may be different). But due to the high seas and “inclement” weather (it still wasn’t raining) the second showing was first postponed, and eventually cancelled.

There’s still so much to come from our last day onboard including the Flash Mob, a character scramble and more! Stay tuned!

After “Let You Entertain Me”, we just took a leisurely stroll around the ship. Some of the sights:

Allure9-24297.jpg

Allure9-24298.jpg

Allure9-24300.jpg

It wasn’t the prettiest of days: cloudy, sometimes drizzly and the seas were quite high. We were actually passing through the outskirts of TS Ophelia, but we didn’t know it at the time. In fact, the second showing of the DreamWorks Aquatheater show was actually canceled due to the high seas and weather. We were lucky to have gotten to see it when we did!
This is the perfect place to remark about the motion of the ocean. We had read that you feel virtually mo motion on Allure. I guess it really can vary from cruise to cruise, but we experienced noticeable rocking for sure. Yes, certainly more exaggerated on the more inclement weather days but even on the nice days we could feel the ship gently swaying. It was what I like to call the classic cruise feel- a one-two-three-four-five gentle tips to the left, then one-two-three-four-five to the right. But while motion was noticeable it was never so drastic that would cause difficulty walking. Even if you are in heels. Even if you walk like me in heels. LOL!!!

And if you haven’t heard about the Little Wonders art viewers (the brass thing here), they are all over the ship. When you see these or a similar looking thing with a viewfinder on it, take a peek inside!

Allure9-24315.jpg

You may see something like this:

Allure9-24314.jpg

Now we were about to encounter the most negative experience of our cruise. The Focus Photo Gallery on the last day. I know, I know. Any experienced cruiser knows one of the busiest places to be onboard is the photo gallery on the last day. It’s always a mess, but an unavoidable mess, since we had just taken the pictures we wanted to buy the night before.

If you aren’t familiar with the setup on Oasis and Allure, each stateroom/party has their own binder and all photos taken are sorted there, using facial recognition technology. No more standing by the wall searching thought 3,657,901 other photos. Everything you need is right in your binder*. Easy peasy!

*Some pics are still on the wall, like candid Flowrider and Zip Line/Poolside shots.

We found our binder easily enough- well actually that’s a lie we did have the wrong binder at first and wondered why there were no pictures in it! LOL! We quickly found the correct one. And since we didn’t have many photos taken this time it was relatively easy to pare down our selection. Within minutes we were in line- and that was a mess. People kept trying to cut, not realizing the long line stretched all the way across the gallery and curved around the binder racks and tables. Folks in the line (including me) were pretty vocal about it and quick to gently correct anyone trying to squeeze in (honestly it was a mad house and I don’t think people were cutting on purpose, they genuinely had no idea where the line ended.) I have to say again, people onboard were so very nice and we really had no trouble with rudeness or inconsiderate behavior. No elevator rushing, and only one chair hog incident, but I’m getting ahead of myself. Allure cruisers are having the time of their lives and on our cruise it certainly showed!!!

The craziness of Focus on the last day. If you think it doesn’t look so bad, well…you can’t even see the crazy checkout line in this shot!

Allure9-24317.jpg

But back in the line, it was nuts to the nth degree. It was quite frustrating to be in that LONG line and some of the people had not finalized their decisions by the time they reached the front. You'd think after standing in a boring line for upwards of a half an hour, people would have actually picked which pictures they wanted at least?

FINALLY it was our turn. We had 4 photographs and had thought we were going to get the $79.99 for 4 package. But at the register I spotted a Crown & Anchor coupon and realized we had our coupons. I pulled out our coupon book and it was buy 1 at full price, get one for half off, so with our two coupons, we could get the same 4 pictures for about $20 less.

The gentleman checking us out had already begun the transaction though so he had to cancel it out and charge us again at the coupon rate. No problem right? Wrong. I didn’t realize it until after we got back to our stateroom and we looked on the TV at our bill that we had been charged two transactions- the $79 one and a $59 one- so we had been more than double charged for our photos! Right away Ron called the photo gallery and they told us we had to call guest services. He called guest services and they said we had to go to the photo gallery. Ah, the run-around.

Ron was pretty mad since we had precious little time left on the boat and now we had to go deal with a mistake that should have been very easy to correct via phone (we had just been there 5 minutes ago for crying out loud). I told him to relax and that I would take care of it and took the photo folio and both receipts and headed back down to Focus. I of course, had to wait in the SUPER LONG LINE…AGAIN, to be told at the counter that I had to go DOWN TO GUEST SERVICES AND WAIT IN THAT (also long) LINE there. WHAT?!?! I told the lady that Guest Services had just told us we had to deal with it at Focus. I wasn’t about to budge. The lady got quite huffy (OK- downright RUDE) as if to imply I was trying to get one over on them or something. I still had both receipts and the guy who served us was still right there- GMAB. So the lady, the manager presumably, nastily called another associate to come to the register SO SHE HERSELF COULD GO TO GUEST SERVICES. About this time Ron came up and he was really mad now.

She stomped off and huffed away towards Guest Services. She came back about 10 minutes later with a printout of our guest folio. OK, really….with a ship this advanced and with both receipts in my hand there was no way they couldn’t look it up on the computers in Focus themselves? BS. She finally charged back the $79 purchase but she did so with quite an attitude. We made note of her name to mention the negative experience on our survey but frankly we had so many positive things to write about the good workers that made our cruise so wonderful we did not bother to write the bad stuff about her. I know everybody has bad days on the job, and dealing with the public in a retail/customer service position is not easy or always fun by any means, but it doesn’t excuse her behavior or the precious hour we lost the last day dealing with this when we could have been enjoying the ship.

/rant over.

After that fiasco we wandered over to the Loyalty desk to see about rebooking another cruise while onboard to get the OBC they offer if you do so. The office was empty except for a couple of cruisers browsing the itinerary books and a big notebook completely full. I guess we should have checked earlier in the cruise- we did not know this is how they handled rebookings:

Allure9-24316.jpg

And even though the time slot indicated that someone should have been there booking a new cruise, and at the very least an agent should have been there, no one was. Plus...see the waitlist at the bottom? Wow. So…we moved along.

(I have to admit I missed the awesome Shutters staff on DCL and also the friendly and always happy to accommodate you rebooking desk on Disney.)

We realized we were pretty hungry and were delighted to find our favorite place, Park Café not too crowded!

Allure9-24320.jpg

Sarah likes her fancy grilled cheese:

Allure9-24321.jpg

Three Cheese Panini- I think I like it better than the Roast Beast Sammich!

Allure9-24326.jpg

Allure9-24319.jpg

After lunch, we all split up. Savannah went to the club so she could prepare for the talent show, Brendan Ron and Sarah went up to the pools and I took a shower and relaxed a bit on the balcony, and did some of the dreaded packing. Before too long, it was time to go see the kids’ talent show, which is performed in the Adventure Ocean Theater!

The 3-5 year olds performed as a group to a cute song about animals where they portrayed the various creatures they were singing about. So cute- I wish I had realized the little ones would be doing this, I would have had Sarah in it too!

Allure9-24328.jpg

As they moved in to the main portion of the talent show, surprise! Savannah was first!

She did an improv dance. She didn’t know what music they were going to choose but she was familiar with the song and she did well.

Video of the talent show performance: Click to Play

The talent show took about an hour and before we knew it, it was time to head down to the promenade. We had a date....a date with a mob.

Ah, last day blues made worse by the dreaded photo area. Ugh! Savannah's dancing more than made up for it, though. She did awesome!!!

I have fully enjoyed your cruise review. Thanks for all of your time & efforts to post so much!!! Most of all your photos are fabulous! what kind of camera do you use? I am looking for a compact camera that is inexpensive & durable for our trip. I am currently a strict DSLR camera user, but don't want to take my DSLR cameras to the beach at the risk that they might be stolen or damaged. I still want to be able to capture all of our priceless memories.

I just thought that since your photos are so amazing, you might be able to tell me what type of camera you drag around with you on your trips. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi there!

I don't know if you're still looking at your report to answer questions, but I read your report start to biginning the other day and wow, does the Allure seem huge, but well worth it! I was wondering, when you ate at the specialty restaurants, did you tip extra on top of the charge for the meal? Really looking forward to possibly planning a trip with RC and not sure how the surcharge works with tipping? Hope that makes sense!

TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter