Shrek Takes On Mickey: The Dreamworks Experience Aboard Allure of the Seas 9/18-25

nenner1

<font color=darkorchid>I must've been distracted b
Hello DCL fans and fellow cruisers! This thread will be a "comparison" Trip Report detailing our recent experience aboard the world's largest cruise ship, Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas.

For those of you who aren't aware, in the last few years Royal Caribbean has taken a direct shot at attracting the Disney Cruise Line demographic by introducing "The Dreamworks Experience" on its' newest Mega Ships, Allure and Oasis. Due to the very positive reception it received, they are now expanding it to the popular Freedom class and beyond. This includes some of the wonderful offerings that had previously made DCL a unique cruising experience like Character Meet & Greets, Character Meals, Themed Shows and Movies, an in-room Dreamworks movie channel, and much more. Of course they don't have Mickey, but they do have Shrek, and as loyal Castaway Club members we were curious, not only to see this amazing marvel of architecture but to see if Royal Caribbean can in any way come close to the now classic Disney Cruise Line experience.

The amazing Allure of the Seas:

RCI_AL-Aerial097.jpg

If you are not familiar with me, or my trip reports, I'll go back in time a bit and share the experience that makes me qualified to make this comparison. ;)

My name is Jen. my husband Ron and I are in our late 30's. We have 3 children: Brendan is 11 (Almost 12), Savannah is 10, and Sarah (who is obsessed with DCL and Mickey and Minnie Mouse) is 3. We are big Disney fans, and visit the WDW resort multiple times per year. We are also Gold Castaway Club members, and have been on 4 DCL cruises (2 on the Wonder, 2 on the Magic), with our fifth scheduled for the Fantasy next year (which we are so excited about)! We have also been on one previous Royal Caribbean cruise, aboard Independence of the Seas, which is a Freedom class ship. When we sailed Independence in 2010, the Dreamworks experience had not yet been introduced on RCCL ships, so we can also compare the how-it-is-now to the how-it-used-to-be on RCCL.

Here is a pic of us from our last cruise aboard the Magic- Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Cruise 2010:

CruiseOct2010487.jpg

There is so much to share about this cruise, its' similarities to DCL, its' differences, the things that can't measure up, and the things they do better.

It highlights an opportunity to try something so different, yet so familiar. I will steal a little rating system from my good friend and fellow Diser Drea (anewmac) and issue/subtract points for each cruise line for positive and negative aspects of both cruise lines as we compare and contrast the amazing character experience and other features too! Sure, the score at the end will signify a winner and a loser overall, but there is so much to learn about, only you can be the judge for yourself and your family.

To butcher the famous quote: With great knowledge comes great power. Hopefully I can provide the knowledge and a little entertainment too, to help you determine if this is the right cruise for you. I hope you'll enjoy it!

So what are you waiting for? Let's get Cruising!!!:banana:

Table of Contents:

Introduction-------->YOU ARE HERE!
Swamp or Castle- Comparisons and Accommodations
I'm On My Way
The Dark Side of the Moon- Part 1
The Dark Side of the Moon- Part 2
Stupid Is As Stupid Eats!
Welcome To Duloc!
Sure it's big enough...but look at the location....
Sure it's big enough...but look at the location.... (Part 2)
Mile-high, Pastrami on Rye, on the Fly from the Deli in the Sky!
Mile-high, Pastrami on Rye, on the Fly from the Deli in the Sky! (Part 2)
The Highest Room in the Tallest Tower
The Highest Room in the Tallest Tower (Part 2)
...But Have You Ever Seen a Donkey Fly?
Operation Tourist Trap is a Go!
Team Alpha Super Awesome Cool Dynamite Wolf Squadron
Team Alpha Super Awesome Cool Dynamite Wolf Squadron (Part 2)
Holy Frijoles! Fiesta! Tequila! Ole!
Holy Frijoles! Fiesta! Tequila! Ole! (Part 2)
A Knight To Remember
A Knight To Remember (Part 2)
Attack of the Killer Halved Grilled Tomatoes - Episode I
Who Takes a Billion Dollar Ship to a Garage Sale Anyway?
Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting it
It's Not Disney, But it is on Ice
It's Not Disney, But it is on Ice (Part 2)
You Keep The Tour Groups, We'll Have the Steak!
You Keep the Tour Groups, We'll Have the Steak! (Part 2)
The Stuff We Did, and the Stuff We Didn't
The Stuff We Did, and the Stuff We Didn't (Part 2)
The Stuff We Did, and the Stuff We Didn't (Part 3)
To Infinity, and Beyond!
Feed Me - If You Dare!
Feed Me - If You Dare! (Part 2)
Johnny Rocks-In-My-Stomach
Eat A Treat, Move Your Feet!
Splash!
Splash! (Part 2)
Splash! (Part 3)
A Pirate's Life For Us!
A Pirate's Life For Us! (Part 2)
Hang Ten, Gain Ten
Chop Chop at Chops
(More) Close Encounters of the Weird Kind
Captain Alan's Wild Ride
Captain Alan's Wild Ride (Part 2)
Captain Alan's Wild Ride (Part 3)
Giovanni And His Tables
Giovanni And His Tables (Part 2)
Because I'm All Alone
How To Train Your....Pineapples?
The Hurt Box
Rock Wall, Rock Lobster, Cakes, Skates, Allure Glass Cleaning, and Disco Balls-Huh? Part 1
Rock Wall, Rock Lobster, Cakes, Skates, Allure Glass Cleaning, and Disco Balls-Huh? Part 2
Rock Wall, Rock Lobster, Cakes, Skates, Allure Glass Cleaning, and Disco Balls-huh? Part 3
The Mob
Move It, Move it...and YOU THERE, MOVE IT!
The Last Supper
It's My Bag!

That's it! It's Done! Complete! Finished! Woohoo! :)

I am excited to read it too... after our hiccups on the Dream last week, Disney really needs to get it together with customer service on this ship.

A little bit more about Allure of the Seas and how it compares to DCL's current and future ships.

Allure of the Seas

World's Largest Cruise Ship (2 inches longer then sister ship Oasis if the Seas)
Launched 2010

Total size in Gross Tonnage: 225,282 GRT
1,187 Feet Long
208 Feet Wide
213 Feet High
16 Passenger Decks
6 Pools (5 Freshwater, 1 Saltwater-not counting Flowriders)
2,706 Staterooms
6,318 Passengers
2,384 Crew

Interesting Features of note: 6 Neighborhoods including the Royal Promenade, Central Park, & Boardwalk, 2 Flowrider wave simulators, 9-deck high Zipline, Ice Skating Rink, 2 Rock Climbing Walls, Carousel, Mini-Golf Course, 26 Restaurants, Dreamworks Character Experience.

Disney Dream and Fantasy

Launched 2011/2012

Total size in Gross Tonnage: 128,000 GRT
1,115 Feet long
125 Feet Wide
187 Feet High
14 Passenger Decks
3 Pools (Freshwater)
1,250 Staterooms
4,000 Passengers
1,458 Crew

Interesting Features of note: Aquaduck Water Coaster, Virtual Porthole in all inside Staterooms, Rotational Dining featuring the innovative all-new Animator's Palate, and exclusive Royal Palace and Enchanted Garden, expanded Kids' Club Facilities, Mini-Golf Course and the Disney Character Experience.

Disney Magic

Launched 1998

Total size in Gross Tonnage: 83,000 GRT
964 Feet long
106 Feet Wide
140 Feet High
10 Passenger Decks
3 Pools (Freshwater)
875 Staterooms
2,400 Passengers
945 Crew

And if you wanted a side by side photo to compare, here you go:

models002.jpg

Just kidding. Models are not to scale! :rotfl2:

Here is a real comparison of the Allure, Dream, and Carnival Fantasy in Nassau: (photo from Flickr)

comparison.png

Up next: I'm On My Way!

This is going to be fun! I know because it was!!! :thumbsup2

Ron

Ain't that the truth!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Jen, I'm in. Can't wait to read more!:):):):):)

Beth

Hi Beth!!! How are you, Steve and the girls doing? :goodvibes How was your most recent Dream cruise, it was not too long ago right? :thumbsup2 Great to hear from you! I think you'll enjoy this TR! I know we did making it, LOL!

I am so excited for this report:thumbsup2:cool1::thumbsup2

Awesome! So glad to have you onboard with us. :)

Looking forward to this Jen :thumbsup2

Joh! So glad to see you here! I think you are really going to enjoy this!!! :goodvibes

I am excited to read it too... after our hiccups on the Dream last week, Disney really needs to get it together with customer service on this ship.

Val! Woot! Buckle up, girlfriend, you're in for a ride!

I'm going to have to hear all about the Dream you know. I was really hoping things on the service side would have fallen into place by now- especially since we will on the Fantasy at about the same time next year. :eek:

The first real segment will be up soon!!

My dahling you have NOOOOO idea how I am looking forward to this TR! Drea already has me looking at Carnival, but I have a secret.... I'm booking FOTS on Tuesday! Booking on Tuesday, sailing over Spring Break.... 2013.:sad2: Yes, 18 months from now. But I'm BOOKING!!!!

So hurry up already!

Can't believe those comparisons - the Allure is HUGE! I will definitely be reading with interest as I've wanted to sail the Oasis or the Allure since they were launched. I really want a Central Park or Boardwalk view stateroom :thumbsup2

Hey Nenner1, you are a busy person!!! Just finished your latest update on cruise critic!!!!:lmao:

What? No update yet? It's been like 10 minutes!!!!

Ahhhh, the start of TRs is so much fun!!!! The ending, not so much, much like real vacations.... :sad2:

What? No update yet? It's been like 10 minutes!!!!

Ahhhh, the start of TRs is so much fun!!!! The ending, not so much, much like real vacations.... :sad2:

I take it you're no closer to finishing yours yet then ;) Only 2 weeks before we leave for our vacation you know (no pressure) :rolleyes1

Can't believe those comparisons - the Allure is HUGE! I will definitely be reading with interest as I've wanted to sail the Oasis or the Allure since they were launched. I really want a Central Park or Boardwalk view stateroom :thumbsup2

I can tell you that the views would be spectacular on the Boardwalk and Central Park balconies (or windows) :goodvibes. Not much privacy though. Not only can the folks in the rooms on the opposite side see you on your balcony or in your room when the privacy curtains aren't drawn, but so can those on the Boardwalk, in Central Park, or the decks above (or on the zipline;)). If that is not much matter to you, my suggestion would be one of the most aft Boardwalk balcony rooms. That way you can enjoy the Boardwalk views, see the shows in the Aquatheater and still see the ocean just beyond the Aquatheater.:thumbsup2

Ron

Thanks for the tip Jen - I am really hoping DH will take the massive hints I've been dropping and book something for my 40th :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!