Show Me Your Smolder! October 2012 B-Day TR NEW 4/1 Trip Wrap Up & NEW PTR LINK!

Apparently that lobby has been urinated in before. :eek: Probably more than once. :rotfl:

Those parade pics are great! You are so lucky to live so close to get to experience Mardi Gras! Someday!

Paxton is really growing. I can see such a difference between these pictures and your October pictures. He is as cute as ever!

Apparently that lobby has been urinated in before. :eek: Probably more than once. :rotfl:

Those parade pics are great! You are so lucky to live so close to get to experience Mardi Gras! Someday!

Paxton is really growing. I can see such a difference between these pictures and your October pictures. He is as cute as ever!

I'm sure it has, especially at Mardi Gras time!! :rotfl2:

I don't think I ever really appreciated Mardi Gras until after Katrina, and then now living far away from it, it takes an effort to get to. But it is even more so special to me now that I can share the experience with Paxton! There was a t-shirt I saw a lot of people wearing that said, "To the rest of the world, it's just another Tuesday." So true!

He is really growing like a weed! He looks older by the day it feels like! And he already desperately needs a haircut even though he had NO hair almost for the first year of his life. :rotfl:

Awesome update! So fun to see all of the pics - including the no urinating sign! :rotfl:

:lmao: Thanks. Signs like that just make you realize you're in New Orleans, and you smile and shake your head and say, "Happy Mardi Gras, y'all!" :rotfl:

You've got it! Some people have a dedicated ladder with the seat permanently attached, others build the seat to come on and off their regular ladder. It gives the kids a high place to see the parade from without having to be on parents shoulders or held up some other way for the whole thing. I never had one growing up because of where we saw parades from, either my grandpa's old service station or my grandmother's house because she lived on a parade route, so people would park their trucks and the kids would stand in the back. Paxton loved it so much that all day Sunday when he saw a ladder he would point and say, "Paxton sit?" So he definitely needs his own for next Mardi Gras!

No reserved spots, yes you just haul it into the city to set up! A lot of people attach small wheels to the sides so they can hold it by the bottom rung of the ladder and wheel it behind you. I even saw one on tv once where the seat had a PVC pipe attached to the side and it went all the way down to the ground where the other end sat in a bag, so every time the kid caught a bead, he could just funnel it down the pipe into the bag! People get very creative with them! We have already talked about what customizations we are going to do for Paxton's.
Interesting concept! I'm going to annoy you with ladder questions though, because the more I think about it, the more I come up with. :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl: In a city that is known for the hurricane (the drink, not that other kind) how do you keep drunks from toppling the ladders? With the weight of the seat and the kids being so high on it, it would be pretty top heavy and easy to tip, I'd think.:confused3

And this idea makes me wonder what Disney Security's stance is on allowing ladders in the park... :scratchin

Interesting concept! I'm going to annoy you with ladder questions though, because the more I think about it, the more I come up with. :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl: In a city that is known for the hurricane (the drink, not that other kind) how do you keep drunks from toppling the ladders? With the weight of the seat and the kids being so high on it, it would be pretty top heavy and easy to tip, I'd think.:confused3

And this idea makes me wonder what Disney Security's stance is on allowing ladders in the park... :scratchin

I was worried about that too actually because they do seem top heavy, but they are actually really sturdy. And every time I have seen a kid in a ladder, there is a parent standing on the rungs behind them. Also I think because of where the ladders are usually positioned, either behind the sidewalk or to the back of the crowds directly behind the barricade, they do not get bumped into as often. Not saying a ladder has never toppled over because of a drunk of course, but I have never seen it happen!

If we ever drive to Disney, I will bring ours and see what they tell us. :lmao:

It's so funny, up here I completely forgot that it was Mardi Gras, even though some bars have parties for it. My wife follows the Orthodox church calendar so that Easter is 5 weeks later. Therefore, I wasn't even paying attention that it was the start of lent until last night DD and I went out for dinner and the place was packed with people having their lenten Fish Fry. (A big Buffalo thing.) So you have this big can't miss parade, while we have...welll...nothing.

Our big celebrations here are St. Patty's Day and Dyngus Day (a Polish holiday celebrating the END of lent). Bet ya never heard of that one!

Actually you couldn't PAY me to go to New Orleans during Mardi Gras. I hate crowds and they are crowded enough on a normal weekend. We've been talking with some friends about going down sometime in the next year or two for an "adults only" weekend.

Love the floats though!

SP

It's so funny, up here I completely forgot that it was Mardi Gras, even though some bars have parties for it. My wife follows the Orthodox church calendar so that Easter is 5 weeks later. Therefore, I wasn't even paying attention that it was the start of lent until last night DD and I went out for dinner and the place was packed with people having their lenten Fish Fry. (A big Buffalo thing.) So you have this big can't miss parade, while we have...welll...nothing.

Our big celebrations here are St. Patty's Day and Dyngus Day (a Polish holiday celebrating the END of lent). Bet ya never heard of that one!

Actually you couldn't PAY me to go to New Orleans during Mardi Gras. I hate crowds and they are crowded enough on a normal weekend. We've been talking with some friends about going down sometime in the next year or two for an "adults only" weekend.

Love the floats though!

SP

Ah yes, the start of Lent. I passed a crawfish place on the way to pick up DS from daycare yesterday and there was already a huge line of people waiting at the door for when they opened at 5 pm!

St. Patrick's Day has a big parade too, and the next weekend is the Irish-Italian parade that is a lot of fun. You are too right though, NEVER heard of Dyngus Day!! :rotfl: We just have Easter to celebrate the end of Lent!

New Orleans can be fun, but yes, it can be crowded. When we spent the weekend at the Roosevelt a couple years ago for our anniversary, there was a big college game happening, so it was pretty crowded on Bourbon St. as we were walking around in search of food. So yeah, Mardi Gras definitely brings in the crowds, but it can be done without having a ton of people around. Sunday, the crowds were only 2 deep because we were at the very start of the parade route. Saturday was quite a bit busier because we were at the end and on St. Charles. I guess we are used to it there, so it doesn't bother me as much as it would battling those same crowds in WDW!

Hopefully you can make it down for a weekend when nothing too crazy is happening and have a good time. I love my visits to NOLA now that we live further away and don't get to do it as often!

Looks like you had a fun Mardi Gras weekend, that must have been so much fun! :thumbsup2 Paxton is too cute, he's getting so big! :cool1:

Looks like you had a fun Mardi Gras weekend, that must have been so much fun! :thumbsup2 Paxton is too cute, he's getting so big! :cool1:

It really was a lot of fun, and Paxton cooperated so much better than I would have expected him to given the huge changes in his routine for those couple of days. Thank you! Bigger by the minute, it feels like!

It looks like you guys had so much fun! Thank you for sharing some Mardi Gras cheer with all of us far away from the action.

I never made it to NO, but when I was living in Pensacola I really enjoyed the festivities, parties and parades in Pensacola and Mobile. It really is a unique Gulf Coast experience, and one that I do miss. Dh and I were just talking about how much we would love a King Cake, but there are none to be found up here in VA.

It looks like you guys had so much fun! Thank you for sharing some Mardi Gras cheer with all of us far away from the action.

I never made it to NO, but when I was living in Pensacola I really enjoyed the festivities, parties and parades in Pensacola and Mobile. It really is a unique Gulf Coast experience, and one that I do miss. Dh and I were just talking about how much we would love a King Cake, but there are none to be found up here in VA.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Next year, order you a king cake online! Haydel's and Randazzo's ship them! We had quite a few at work this year, but they are not real New Orleans king cakes unfortunately. There is a local donut franchise that makes them, but they are really just braided donut cakes with way too much filling. I didn't get to have any REAL king cake this year since we were going to close to the actual day...people were waiting in line for hours at Randazzo's for one!

Day 7: Friday October 26th

Ahhh, Friday morning, our sleep in morning! WRONG. We were up at 7:15 am because DS had suddenly started coughing all night long, which kept us up. Oh yes, and he was talking in his sleep. Not the best night of sleep in Disney ever, but we kept moving right along. We got everyone dressed and left Bonnet Creek at 8 am. Where were we headed?

2514_zpse7f46384.jpg

I was pretty excited, since I had only been to the Polynesian once for Catholic mass way back when they still said Mass at Disney resorts. It didn't take too long to drive over there and find a place to park.

2516_zps0b5832d7.jpg

Avengerail!

2518_zpsada2f8aa.jpg

2519_zpse41d7563.jpg

2520_zps3bb44bba.jpg

2522_zpsdba91a2c.jpg

We took our time looking around the lobby since we were a little early, snapping those pics and just enjoying the ambiance. What a BEAUTIFUL resort! It's probably my dream resort at the moment, but we will probably never stay there because how can we justify paying that much for a room per night when we can stay at Bonnet Creek for nothing?

Anyway, we headed up to the second floor to check in for our 8:50 am breakfast ADR at 'Ohana! I was REALLY excited about this meal because it was our first time eating there, and I was thrilled at the notion of having the food AND the characters coming to us instead of having to time a trip to the buffet just perfectly to not miss any characters.

2523_zps952bfb5e.jpg

We checked in and had our photo taken, but we didn't buy the package. Of course. Does anyone really? It's so expensive and not all that special of a picture! So instead we just had our own mini-photoshoot with our leis on.

2529_zps1270264b.jpg

2531_zps0b7eae7a.jpg

I'm not sure where my parents had wandered off to that they weren't able to take a photo of the three of us together, but whatever. We settled down with our pager waiting to be called. But it wasn't just any old pager, not to DS! He was proudly pointing it at us and asking us to say, "Cheese!"

2537_zps6ae63ebb.jpg

Or, you know, just banging it into the table a little.

2541_zpsf87044e8.jpg

It didn't take long before we were called and led to our table. But that was about the only thing besides the characters that went quickly. Service here was S.L.O.W. It took a long time for our server to bring us any juice and I asked her plus two other people about getting a cup of milk for DS before I actually got it. And then it took even longer for them to bring out the bread and fruit and even longer than that before we got our first breakfast platter to share! And every time the server did come by, she would run off before we could ask for anything, and she never asked if there was anything we needed. I don't know if she was just really busy or what, but it was pretty frustrating.

2542_zps474208c2.jpg

Nonni & Poppi​

Lilo was the first character to come by, and I think she came before we were even served our main food. The interaction with her was great though, and DS seemed to really enjoy meeting her.

2548_zps503e6212.jpg

2554_zpsdbc741ed.jpg

2556_zps272cbc37.jpg

After that they came around with maracas for the kids, and DS got a kick out of shaking that and making some noise! If it's loud, DS is by all means interested in it.

2562_zps3bfd5de7.jpg

2566_zps27c0fd1d.jpg

After Lilo came Stitch! He apparently caught Poppi off guard...

2567_zpsf6473dea.jpg

2571_zps93cdbbb3.jpg

2577_zpse724c1a6.jpg

Stitch signed DS's book in a hurry and ran off because they were starting the little parade around the restaurant. In fact, I'm not even sure he signed with the "approved" Stitch autograph because he was in such a rush. DS didn't seem to notice though.

After Stitch, Mickey came around!

2587_zps6576385c.jpg

2592_zps6dd03d54.jpg

How cute is he in his Hawaiian shirt?! And last but not least was Pluto.

2604_zps2b9d0f86.jpg

2609_zps71a57a57.jpg

2615_zps6c7196ab.jpg

What did everyone think of their first breakfast at 'Ohana? Overall, no one was really impressed. Everyone seemed to enjoy the food, but there just wasn't enough of it. We finished our whole platter and sat there for quite awhile before our server showed up and realized we needed another one. By then, we were just kind of ready for the check. The character interaction was great, I think we just got a bad server. I think another problem was the size of our group. 5 people eating off of that platter was a lot, because there were only enough biscuits for everyone to have one, not much of the eggs and potatoes to go around, etc. And DH didn't realize you could ask for more of specific items.

I did convince DH to give it another try in October though. Since it will be only 3 of us and DH now knows he can request more of a certain food, I am really hoping it will be a better experience than this past time!

Our plans for the day were to head back to Bonnet Creek and get in some pool time before DS's nap and then head to a park after. However, DH got to talking with my parents at breakfast, and I was soon outvoted...

UP NEXT: Will I Ever Get a Resort Day?

Ahhhh, Poly. Looking at your pictures brings back memories. I hear ya on the price. As much as we really lovvvvved it there, I don't think we'll be going back soon mostly because there are so many other resorts we would like to try. It was pretty special and I think you should consider it for a very special vacation.

It sounds like you had a server issue at Ohana. We had such a great time when we did our breakfast there. We were also a party of five and as soon as our platter ran out of any one food item, our server popped over and refilled it for us. In fact, near the end of our meal we had to actually stop her from bring more eggs and meat! And the character interactions were our favorite. I think you're doing the right thing by giving it another shot.

Ahhhh, Poly. Looking at your pictures brings back memories. I hear ya on the price. As much as we really lovvvvved it there, I don't think we'll be going back soon mostly because there are so many other resorts we would like to try. It was pretty special and I think you should consider it for a very special vacation.

It sounds like you had a server issue at Ohana. We had such a great time when we did our breakfast there. We were also a party of five and as soon as our platter ran out of any one food item, our server popped over and refilled it for us. In fact, near the end of our meal we had to actually stop her from bring more eggs and meat! And the character interactions were our favorite. I think you're doing the right thing by giving it another shot.

I am hoping it's on the table for maybe a milestone anniversary or something along those lines... :cloud9:

Hearing your experience, I totally agree that it was a service issue, so hopefully we end up with a better server next time. If they had continued to replenish the food, I don't think there would have been such a negative reaction from the group. I got a little defensive when DH and my dad were complaining about the meal afterwards because it had been my idea to try breakfast there. :rotfl: But now typing it up for the TR, I realized it was a pretty lousy meal experience. I'm happy I got DH to agree to give it another shot, so I have fingers crossed it will be worth it! pixiedust:

Ok I am not done reading your TR yet but I had to stop by and make a few comments.

1 - I miss Hanson

2 - You, your husband, and son are so adorable!! You can just see how happy you all were on this trip!

3 - I miss Hanson

4 - I definitely noticed your son in the crowd because I remember when Taylor's kid was a baby and he wore the same blue ear protection!

5 - I have been wanting to try 'Ohana's breakfast for ever b/c I am a huge Lilo and Stitch fan, but I love Kona breakfast too much!! Sorry your experience was less than stellar, but hopefully next time will be better!

6 - Thank you for the great Hanson pictures! I miss them BTW. I didn't get very good pictures due to excessive rocking out so I love yours!!

Sorry to hear your Ohana bkfst experience wasnt all that wonderful. I too agree that you had a bad server. We ate there in Dec and had a great meal and our waitress came around several times asking if we needed more of anything. I hope your Oct ADR goes much better :goodvibes

I agree that the Poly is one of those resorts I would really like to stay at some day, but probably never will because I belong to DVC. It would have to be a real splurge to stay there when DVC is paid for. Sigh.

Not surprisingly, you got more great pictures of Paxton with the characters and I really like the ones with Stitch. They are great!

I would think if four adults were eating off one skillet they would bring refills out promptly. Your server sounds like they were not too with it. Seriously, keep it coming. I hope next October is a better experience. Have you guys tried Cape May for breakfast? I love it there. Great character interaction and plenty of food.

What? No resort day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter