• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should we bring our baby with us to Disney?

From a male perspective: I would never leave my young kids behind. On our first trip to WDW, we took our 11 month daughter #1 and son, then 3. We just got back and we took our son, 5, our daughter #1, now 2, and daughter #2, 6 months. Bringing a baby requires planning (my wife is good at that) but it can be done and everyone will have a great time. You can ride whatever you want with a baby swap pass (fast pass without the limits). You just won't ride at the same time. Both daughter got a lot of attention from the characters and the cast members. Baby wraps are an excellent way to carry the child when not in the stroller.

Just wanted to add another person to the "your baby will be fine home with her grandma while you enjoy your trip" camp. We have taken our children to WDW several times and we have gone to WDW without them several times as well, and we are all just fine!. I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with going on an adults only trip and just because you choose to go to WDW, does not make it different than any other vacation you might choose to take.

I personally would never go on vacation without my kids - Especially to Disney! I can't imagine being able to have fun without them. Your child can go on most of the rides. I think it will be fun but ultimately it's your decision.

That is a tough decision. She is after all only 8.5 months old. She won't remember you guys leaving her with loved ones and frankly to be good parents you have to nuture your relationship too. I think hearing that your partner wants to spend the week with you alone would be enough of a decision to leave your daughter with someone who you fully trust, so you can enjoy yourselves.

Disney will forever be there.

GL mama! :)

If you feel comfortable with it, go without the baby and have the time of your life.

We took my older DS earlier this year and left our 5 month old twins at home with their two grandmothers. Family time is important to us, but relationships within the family are JUST AS IMPORTANT (this includes couples).

We are away from our kids overnight quite a few times a year. I think of it two ways: 1) It gives us time to be reconnect and relax. 2) It gives my children quality with their grandparents. I hope as they get older they will cherish this time and understand how special it is to have a loving, caring extended family like ours.

Would I go to WDW without my 3 year old now? No, because he knows what Disney is and loves it. Babies are different though. :)

Your daughter is so young that she won't get anything out of this trip that she wouldn't get from spending time with you at home. It's really important to take some time out for yourselves as a couple, especially if you are lucky enough to have reliable relatives to watch your daughter. I am a mother and grandmother and I can assure you that your daughter will not be emotionally damaged if you and her dad don't include her in all of your activities. It's not a big deal to miss her first Halloween; there will be many others, and they will be a lot more meaningful when she's old enough to remember them too. So go ahead and leave her at home until she is older and have a great time.

Couldn't have said it better! ::yes::

I'm pregnant right now and I reserve the right to completely change my mind on this but DH and I don't plan on taking on kids on any BIG trips (WDW and Disney Cruises are included here) until they are 3-4 years old. Lots of little weekend trips and day trips certainly--but the grandparents can't wait to have some quality grandkid time while we get our chances to recharge and reconnect at a couple.

We are about to take our fourth trip with my youngest. Her first trip was at 6 months. The easiest trip by far! It was wonderful to have her there and I would never dream of leaving her.
DH and I both work full time so spending a week with our kids is a big deal to us and we always feel like they learn something new that we might have missed if they were in daycare.
I'm all for a break and couple time but a week is so long.
Could grandma come?
I think you will be miserable.

DH and I went to Disney in December without our girls (DS was in utero lol). We went for our 5th anniversary, and the girls stayed at my parents for the long weekend. They were just about 4 and 2.5. They knew we went away for some mommy-daddy time, but they didn't know we went to Disney. I don't know that I could leave my 8.5 month old though.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. What's right for one family might not be right for another. Either way, have a great trip!

We are about to take our fourth trip with my youngest. Her first trip was at 6 months. The easiest trip by far! It was wonderful to have her there and I would never dream of leaving her.
DH and I both work full time so spending a week with our kids is a big deal to us and we always feel like they learn something new that we might have missed if they were in daycare.
I'm all for a break and couple time but a week is so long.
Could grandma come?

A week is nothing in the span of a lifetime!

A week is nothing in the span of a lifetime!

Maybe to you, but there are plenty of us that think of it as a long period of time. I have tons of friends with children right around my daughter's age and I don't know of a single one that would leave their 1 year old (which is the same for an 8.5 month old like the OP) for entire week. A weekend (couple of days), sure (but I wouldn't). My daughter learns something knew almost everyday. I would never forgive myself if I went on a vacation and missed her 1st time doing something major. 8.5 months is right around the age of crawling, walking, pulling up, standing up by themselves, cruising on furniture. A week long trip with my husband is not worth missing any of that to me.

If would be completely different if the child was preschool age and above.

Why? Everyone I know who left a baby behind with the grandparents weren't miserable - it's a nice break. Also, if you start early, both parents and the children get used to it. It's very comforting, as a parent, to know that there is somewhere your children will feel right at home at, besides home.

Ashley Marie said:
Thanks for the replies... well, besides the incredibly rude one above. (Wow. I would never just "dump" the person I've chosen to spend my life with over expressing an opinion. Your snide remark about "wanting to play dress up" with my daughter was also out of line.)

Anyway, I was asking for others to share their experiences, one way or the other, so thanks for the responses that were actually helpful. :)

I know there are plenty of folks who have gone on a vacation without their kids (obviously those people are not in this thread right now, ha). I don't know if I'm ready for it just yet. We're not crazy, irresponsible parents. We love our amazing daughter, and everything we do revolves around her well being. I wouldn't be on here posting this if it didn't! I would just be going and not thinking about it!

She's most comfortable and happy here at home with family (meaning us, or grandma/aunt), on her regular feeding and sleep schedule (sleeping in her crib for all naps & at night), so I'm not sure how well she'd do on a trip like this at this age. Maybe she'd love it. I'd love to hear from more people who've gone to Disney with babies around her age.

I've gone with my girls at the ages of 10 weeks, 13 months, 2 years.... We had a great time. Rider swap is very helpful. Even though you can't do the thrill rides together there is a lot you can do with your child.

That being said, my husband and I work opposite hours and he works 65+ hours so I can be part time and not send our kids to daycare. It's hard on a relationship and time alone or away can be very important.

You do what's right for you and your family. Either way you will have fun. We are all different and all of us do things differently. You would be leaving your daughter with family who loves and cares for her. I think happy parents who have time to reconnect is beneficial to everyone as well. We are hoping to get away next year when my daughters are 2 & 4.

Good Luck with your choice, it's a tough one!

Maybe to you, but there are plenty of us that think of it as a long period of time. I have tons of friends with children right around my daughter's age and I don't know of a single one that would leave their 1 year old (which is the same for an 8.5 month old like the OP) for entire week. A weekend (couple of days), sure (but I wouldn't). My daughter learns something knew almost everyday. I would never forgive myself if I went on a vacation and missed her 1st time doing something major. 8.5 months is right around the age of crawling, walking, pulling up, standing up by themselves, cruising on furniture. A week long trip with my husband is not worth missing any of that to me.

If would be completely different if the child was preschool age and above.

This.

No offense to anyone, different things work for different families. But based on what the previous poster has stated I have a feeling that she will think that a week was too long to be away from her baby. Again, a toddler, pre schooler, that is a completly different story.

I posted as a Mom who has taken little ones and had a great time. I have beautiful pictures of my daughter with the princesses and characters. We put her in a BoBa carrier and had a great time!

Have fun no matter what you decide!

I think a weekend away somewhere within a reasonable driving distance would be a better option. A week far away is too much imo to be away from a baby. To those who say the baby won't notice, I disagree. I work part time and when I get home my son's face lights up, there's no way he doesn't know the difference. He's only ever left with his aunt or grandmothers so he is well taken care of when I'm gone, it's still not mommy (or daddy). He's 10mo now, it was no different a couple of months ago.

I would at least try one night away beforehand and see how it goes before flying somewhere for a whole week.

I do believe couples need some private time, but not that early on and not for quite that long. I would be very upset by day two or three, it would not be an enjoyable trip for me.

Edited to add: I just saw that you will be away on Halloween, there is no way I would miss a 1st holiday with my son. He won't remember it but I sure will.

My husband and I left our then 9 month old son at home with grandma while we took our first trip to Disney last January. I enjoyed our time ALOT, like PP have said it was time to reconnect and be a couple however I was miserable at least once a day! I cried my eyes out on a boat from WL to MK because there was a couple with thier son who was around his age next to us. I bawled my eyes out the night before we left (about 20 min befor our ADR at Cali Grill) because I litterally felt like my heart was breaking because I missed him so much, even check in night I cried for an hour because he wasn't there. I did have fun, my husband and I did some adult things we won't get to do again for a very long time (4 signature dinners, riding rides together, everything you have already mentioned) but I'm honesly not sure I would do it again for a long time. Our son didn't have a problem, he did kiss me for 20 minutes stright when we got home while again i cried, but he truly was happy at home with my mom! Just thought I would give you my experience. The good thing is we fell in love with WDW and will be back in Jan WITH our son for his first trip and we know a little bit what to expect because we have been already. Go and enjoy either way, a new mom ALWAYS deserves a vacation!

I left my two year old last summer for a week and cried every single day. That being said, I'm leaving my 11 month old next month for a week. I expect I'll cry, I'll expect she'll be fine.

My wife and I are getting ready to take our first trip to WDW with our new addition. We considered leaving him home then decided that we just couldn't be without him for a full week. His grandparents like to keep him one night a week to give us a break and we find that it's difficult to let him go sometimes, and that's just one night. I'm with some of the other posters on this. I don't really think there's a right or wrong decision here. I think what really tipped the scales for us is that our boy is doing something new everyday and we just don't want to miss anything significant. Being gone a week would most likely cause us to miss alot.

JT

I didn't read through all replies so I apologize if I am repeating what other have said.

I am all for couples only trips. I think alone time is very important for a relationship. Hubby and I left DD with Grandma and Grandpa when she was 5 months old.

That being said, there will be plenty of rides and 8-9 month old can go on and there is always baby swap for things like Space Mt. I had DD in an Ergo on most rides when she was 10m.

No matter what you decided you will have a great time.

My boyfriend and have a week-long vacation booked for the end of October. We're staying at POFQ with the free dining plan. We both work crazy long hours, so we're really excited about some time away.

By then, our baby will be about 8.5 months old. I've never left her yet, even overnight -- and although I know it'd be a lot of work, I would love to bring her to Disney. On the other hand, my boyfriend and I would really, really love a stress-free, romantic vacation together, and she has grandparents that would be happy to watch her if we went on the trip without her.

He's totally against bringing her because we wouldn't be able to enjoy a lot of the rides together, we don't know how she'd do with the long days at the parks (we plan to stay out late, have tickets for MNSSHP, have nice dinner reservations, etc.) and he really wants time for just the two of us. And he doesn't think she'd get much out of it at this age... he'd rather we start bringing her along to Disney when she's a little older.

I agree with all of this, but a part of me still really dreads leaving her at home. I don't want to be worried about her the whole time or feel guilty for not being with her. We'd technically be missing out on her first Halloween (but we're planning to dress her up and celebrate Halloween early, the day before we leave).

Any tips for making a new mom feel ready to go away for a week?

Or do you think we should be bring her with us?

I am so totally with your bf. Alone time together is so important. Some of these posters act like you are abandoning your baby :eek:

We left ours with my mom and never worried one minute. Did we miss them? Yes, of course. But my mom was wonderful with them and they were totally content. She was probably the only one that we would have left them with.

Babies, when they are content with the caregiver, are not *missing out* on Disney. You will have time with her later, and this time together is more precious right now, than taking her.

We have many years experience together, and three happy grown children that were all left with Grammy at various times, and totally loved their alone time with her, and she with them.

Go, and have a wonderful guilt free time together, no matter what others may say to *guilt trip* you! pixiedust:

I didn't read the whole thread but I will say that our girls go to grandma and grandpas at least every other month for a weekend and ever other December, DH and I go to St. John with friends for a week (this is our off year so were going to WDW!) First time we left them for a week was when I was pg with the youngest and the oldest was 2. Second time, oldest was 4 and youngest was 18mos. Was it hard? Yes but they do great with their grandparents! We did leave for a long weekend when the youngest was 9mos old. I feel like I am a more relaxed and better mom bc I get these breaks. Go ahead and judge but it works for us.
But no one can make this decision for you. It's tough to know what to do. Good luck deciding!

I also want to say that if you think you will ever want to travel more in the future, then leaving DD now when she is young is a good way to get her used to being with someone other than mom and dad. Waiting until she's years older and hasn't had anyone but you put her to bed or be there in the am could be a disaster for both the child and the caregiver. Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking but our girls have never once given us trouble about staying with their grandparents and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that they stay there 6+ weekends a year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter