Should we bring our baby with us to Disney?

Your daughter is so young that she won't get anything out of this trip that she wouldn't get from spending time with you at home. It's really important to take some time out for yourselves as a couple, especially if you are lucky enough to have reliable relatives to watch your daughter. I am a mother and grandmother and I can assure you that your daughter will not be emotionally damaged if you and her dad don't include her in all of your activities. It's not a big deal to miss her first Halloween; there will be many others, and they will be a lot more meaningful when she's old enough to remember them too. So go ahead and leave her at home until she is older and have a great time.

Your daughter is so young that she won't get anything out of this trip that she wouldn't get from spending time with you at home. It's really important to take some time out for yourselves as a couple, especially if you are lucky enough to have reliable relatives to watch your daughter. I am a mother and grandmother and I can assure you that your daughter will not be emotionally damaged if you and her dad don't include her in all of your activities. It's not a big deal to miss her first Halloween; there will be many others, and they will be a lot more meaningful when she's old enough to remember them too. So go ahead and leave her at home until she is older and have a great time.

I agree 100% with what lost*in*cyberspace. This was my point as well. Your daughter is so young that she will not miss out on anything. Take the time to spend a vacation with your boyfriend now while you have the oppurtunity. Take your daughter to Disney when she is older and can really enjoy it.

Who do you use for babysitting at Disney? I feel like I'd be more uncomfortable leaving her with a sitter I've never met for a night than leaving her with her grandma for the week. I'm really, really selective about who babysits her, though!

Kids Nite Out is who we're planning on using in December. But we also have family in the area who may be willing to watch them.

I don't see anything wrong with a vacation without kids. Disney World just wouldn't be my choice. We've done 2 cruises alone (with another scheduled for next summer) and I also went and visited my husband in Korea for 2 weeks while he was stationed there. It's helped keep our marriage together. I know everyone is different though.

THIS!! :thumbsup2

My daughter spent her first night away at 3 or 4 months old (I think we had a wedding kind of far away and we were not about to bring an infant!). Yes, it was hard for me, but she was none the wiser and the grandparents loved it. Every year since her birth, she has spent MANY MANY weekends with her grandparents (both my parents and my in-laws). She has spent as many as 4 nights away from us upon request of the grandparents (I'll admit, that was hard!). She is now 6 (will be 7 next month) and it was only in the past year or so that she said she missed us.

I say GO and HAVE A GOOD TIME! I think it's better to go to Disney alone now than when she is older and could understand what she is missing! ;)

If you are worried about how difficult it might be for you, would it be possible to arrange a few sleepovers before the trip to get you used to being away from her?

We went when ds was 4 and dd 8.5 months and she was easier then he was. She would nap in the stroller and we would also go back to the room. She had a great time. She is now 4 and loves looking at the pictures from when she was a baby.

We went last year when they were 7 and 3 and are planning another trip this winter.

Whatever the decision you make, you will have a great time.

Add me to the group of parents who could never leave a baby home without mom and dad for a week! And the poster who said she won't even notice, seriously??? I have a friend who is a childcare provider and she recently kept a 7 month old that she cares for every day while mom and dad are at work for 10 days while her parents were on a cruise. Even though she is a very familiar caregiver, baby had a really, really hard time without mom and dad and cried a lot. It was very hard on everyone involved.

We have taken DD1 at 12 months and DD2 at 9 and 10 months and have no regrets. When DD1 was 2.5 we were vacationing in Ft. Lauderdale with the in-laws and DH surprised me with a 1 day trip to Orlando to do to WDW, just the two of us. It was so hard for me to go to Disney without DD for just one day! How will you feel surrounded by families with babies having a grand time on their vacations? Will you be able to ignore them and focus on your boyfriend or will it make you miss your DD even more?

PS I would try at least one overnight without your DD before you make your final decision.

Wow this is getting a little crazy...for lack of a better word. The whole what kind of parents would leave kids behind, darn good ones, same as the ones that would take them. I went though this debate with my husband earlier while planning our SOLO trip. I did not ask the peanut gallery because I know people would get on there soapboxes and tell me what a bad mom I am and a child should be attached at the hip till there 18 and so on lol. I had a feeling some would judge and would input opinions or statements that really had nothing to do with what you asked.( I.e your a bad parent for leaving your children home, which is bull). We decided as a couple and the parents of our kids(love that they are our kids, which mean we decide) that we needed alone time, some romance. The only reason I wasn't sure was because I was worried to leave them. I have two boys one is 1yr and 9months and I just had Jordan and he is 3 months( on our December trip he will be 6 months). But I am leaving them with my mother and sister. I trust them completely and know there in the best hands possible. Also when deciding I though 6 months is too young there are a lot of illnesses and I don't want my baby to get dehydrated or god forbids sick while at Disney. There will be plenty of time for family vacations later.plus there not so big that there gonna miss us. I will be planning our first big trip to Disney later for now let the adults have some fun. I love my children dearly and I know you do too cause your worried and are asking for advice, I will probably go on my trip and suffer separation anxiety the whole time lol. Do what you feel is best. Just because you have kids doesn't mean your life has to stop, it's all about balance.... What ever you chose to do have fun.

I just wanted to add my mother lives with us and I am a nurse sometimes I am at work 12-16 hours shifts( to make sure my kids are given the very best) so there use to my mother, I have never left them with anyone else. So if you do go trial it out, it's hard for the babies the first day, but they get use to it. Jordan and Nicholas were use to nana from birth, so I was lucky.

I'm sure everything will be fine either way.

I will just point out that since you and your boyfriend are both working crazy hours all the time, it would probably be beneficial for your DD to have some extended time with the two of you. How wonderful to have a week available to spend together as a family, since it sounds like you get very little of that time at home. Babies need their parents, even if their other care givers are wonderful and loving.

Personally I would take DD on the weeklong trip to Disney and take a weekend away with just your boyfriend sometime soon.

I am usually one of those who just don't get leaving a child home while the parents go to WDW, but this is a baby we're talking about. By all means, go! I'd feel guilty if she was old enough to know what she was missing out on, but an eight month old? No problem! Go while you have the chance.

Hi Ashley Marie,

Try to look at this one as a win/win situation. Neither decision may be 100% perfect, but neither one is wrong! If you leave DD at home, you will ride attractions together, not be tied to DD's schedule, and you will definitely enjoy the dining plan more! You might even get a little rest. ;)

If DD goes along, you may be in for the most magical experience of your lives. You will have to take each experience as it comes, as WDW is LOUD. Attractions, music, parades, and fireworks, not to mention crowds and characters, can frighten young ones well into their early school age years. But, most sounds and sights may just delight your DD.

I was lucky enough to travel with my DGS at the same age, so his parents could have some adult time, while I enjoyed my boy. My DD was happy to know that she was never far away from him. He treated EVERYTHING like it was a show put on just for him (was much more intimidated by fireworks at 4 yrs old...and terrified by the Beast and Stitch!)

Whatever your decision, have a fabulous time, and embrace the unique opportunities which come with travelling with OR without your little darling.

It's up to you but we would never consider leaving our DD behind. Not for a second. We go twice a year for 10-12 nights each trip and we bring DD with us. Her first trip was when she was 12.5 months then again at 18 months and we are headed back in 34 days (she will be 2 then)! We wouldn't trade those trips for the ones we took before we had her. Yes, it takes some more planning and you do have to give up some things but for us its totally worth it! The memories and pictures are wonderful.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

I think this is a really personal choice for every parent. There's no right answer for all, just the right answer for you.

I'm rocking my seven month old to sleep right now, here at Disneyland. (well, we are actually at the hotel right now because it's the middle of the night, but you get the jidea.) our just turned three year old is also with us. She's been coming since her first birthday.

We have more fun with our children then we ever had alone. We also don't care to vacation anywhere without them. But that's just us. Everyone is different.

I do not spend nights away from my babies until they are much older. I do not feel comfortable with it (and nursing complicates things, too). My husband respects my feelings and would never try to talk me into something that I'm not comfortable with doing. Nor would I let him. So, I would go with your feelings, whatever those are. And if you feel like you would be ok leaving your DD with grandparents, then don't feel guilty about that choice. She would be loved and well-cared for, and this is really about your needs/feelings. In the same way, don't feel guilty about not wanting to leave her if you decide you can't.

Everyone obviously has different opinions on this.

Me? I would never leave my kids behind when I went to Disney.

We took my ODD (who is now 7) when she was 9 months old. No issues at all. She slept in her stroller when she was tired. We went back during the day for everyone to wind down. It is only one week so it was no big deal that she was off her schedule.

JMO

We've taken all our children while they were babies and we've left them behind, too. I will say my favorite baby age to take them was when they were 8 months, because they could sit up in a high chair and eat some finger foods while DH and I had our meals. Also if they like characters, then it's fun to see their face light up when they meet them. However if they don't like characters, the they'll scream and hold onto you for dear life :) We took our second youngest at 5 months and she was just not as relaxed as our other babies, so someone always had to hold her in their lap and try to eat with one hand. She never slept in her stroller, so she was tired and cranky even when we tried to take her back to the room for her naps. Also another DD and I got the flu while we were there, but luckily the baby didn't get it.

DH and I have also gone to Disney twice without our children. I cried for a couple of days, because I missed the kids and felt guilty, but the kids could have cared less. They were having a vacation at Nana's house. The last day before we came home, the girls said we could stay another couple of days :rotfl2: As long as they are in good hands that you trust, you should not feel guilty for going on a vacation without your child.

This is a personal decision. No one's story or situation will be the same as yours. Every baby is different. Do what you are comfortable with.

We left our oldest child at home when we went to Disney when we were newly married (DS was about 5 months old). It was the best choice at the time for our family and our marriage - we needed to reconnect because those first few months are incredibly hard.

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty, if that's what you choose to do! I wouldn't trade my son's first trip (at age 7) for anything in the world and I'm glad we waited at the time. I could never use the babysitter services provided (I don't care how many references and background checks they have), so it was the right decision for us at the time.

From reading your post, it sounds like you need some alone time and have a busy schedule - if it was me, I would leave the baby at home with grandparents and enjoy your vacation. It's not like you'll be leaving an older child at home, who would know where you were and what he was missing.

My parents left me at home when I was 3 and they took my older sisters (who were 15 and 9 at the time) to WDW - trust me, I'm not traumatized by the experience.

I could never leave DD home to go on a vacation - especially to Disney. We've taken her (she's now 2.5) 6 times and her first being at 4 months. It's so easy to travel with a baby and you still can have a lot of fun.

This is obviously a personal choice. I couldn't imagine not taking my little guy to Disney. As of this point in his life (he's 2), he has not been left overnight. But, we're also in a different place in our lives (together for almost 8 years before our son was born), and we have taken plenty of vacations on our own. In your situation, I might be thinking it like you are.

We're taking my parents along on our trip so that my husband and I can have a few nights out. I'm looking forward to that.

Go for it! I left all of my babies at home with the grandparents at one time or another. Never WDW, but on our annual trips to Hershey, the rule was that only potty trained kids were allowed to come along. This will probably be the last time ever you can go to WDW without kids for a long time.

Ashley Marie said:
These replies have all been useful. It got the two of us discussing it more (I told him about the post and read a lot of the replies to him) -- thank you.

We only had the chance to take one vacation together before she was born, and we're kind of thinking that once she's a little older we'd feel a lot worse about leaving her at home for a vacation... so now may be the one right time to vacation together as just a couple again. And we do really need the time to reconnect. Right now, life is all about baby & work (and the baby part is wonderful and not a complaint at all! But with our day-to-day schedule, we devote all our non-working time to her, and find it hard to find any any time focusing on "us," which is also really important).

Plus... I think he might be thinking of proposing on this trip, which might be another reason why he really wants it to be just us.

I'll really miss her if we go without her -- but I'm now leaning toward having her grandma come stay with her at our house (so she's got the comfort of being at home) while we take the trip. And calling every day and teaching my mom to use Skype so we can video chat while we're gone, too. And if that's what happens, we'll start taking her on vacation the next time we go.

Like I said we are in the same boat, I still think about what's gonna happen everyday, I have three months left to our first solo vacation. I feel like there is time you spend with your children and then time you spend with your husband, or BF. Then there is you time which I think are all equally important to be happy and have healthy relationships. Have fun do everything that you guys want to do, we planning on getting on all major rides that we know when we come back with the boys we won't be able to do, also we are eating at some fancier places this time. My husband gets three weeks of vacation a year. We decided starting with this trip that one of this 3 vacation will be something just me and him. We will enjoy the kids for the rest of the 51 weeks of the year lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter