Should I or shouldn't I?

DisneyFreak1976

Earning My Ears<br><font color=red>Too Hairy to be
I have a dilemma that I'm hoping all you other DISers can help me with.

About a year I decided to move to Florida to fulfill a dream of being a Cast Member. So I started saving money and here I am a year later and am experiencing major anxiety about the whole thing.

I live in Boston and have a good paying job with one of the prestigious hospitals in town. I'm not a doctor - just an Administrative Assistant. But I make decent money for the Boston area. I'm not rich by any means.

Now if I follow through on this move I will be gaining some things like great weather and proximity to the parks but I'll also be taking a pay cut. I have experience in the hotel industry and from what I have found out the higher end of the pay range for Front Desk Clerks in Orlando is $9/hr. Now granted one can get by on that there but you must live sparingly.

Now here's another piece of info my current job will allow me to telecommute part time from Florida. The agreement is to evaluate the situation after 3 months.

I have not been sleeping well for the past few nights as I can't find peace with either decision (stay or go). I make a decision one way and start getting anxious that it's the wrong decision.

What do you all think? Am I just being paranoid for nothing?

My suggestion is that if you are happy with your current job, stay there. I know a lot of people that have moved to Florida and their bubble is burst. The Disney magic doesn't seem to work when you are working for the mouse.

I say enjoy your job and come visit WDW often. :goodvibes

I'm actually not happy or unhappy with my job. It's kind of just a paycheck to me at this point.

As for the bubble bursting...that's something I've definitely discussed and thought on extensively and am positive it would be fine. I understand that it's a job and I'm not there to "play".

I've also thought that I could work elsewhere and not be a Cast Member. Just being close and having the ability to go frequently would be great.

If you are reasonably satisfied and comfortable where you are, I'd advised you to stay put. The economy is too fragile to risk transplanting yourself into an uncertain situation.

I wouldn't give up a good paying job for a possible job at WDW especially for that low amount of Money. I Love WDW but I think working there as others have said really changes things.

Thanks everyone for your input. I made the decision to stay in Boston and all I can say is I feel I've made the worst decision in my life.

I'll give a view from the other side. I recently moved from NYC to LA. I was in NYC making money, at least enough to live on without worrying about every rent check. But I wasn't happy with what I was doing, so I saved and scrimped and decided to move to LA. Because really, there's no reason not to. You only regret the chances you didn't take. I have been in LA for about a month and it's terrifying, but I'm so glad I'm not in NYC anymore. The weather is amazing and I'm close to Disneyland (was not a deciding factor but certainly a perk). I don't have a job yet which is scary, but I'm taking it one day at a time. I knew I would regret not doing this when I was young, so I did it. I don't believe in just doing the "safe" option.

Ashley - I wish I'd seen your post earlier yesterday. Stupidly I went with the "safe" option and decided to stay. I'm regretting it but it's too late as I already canceled everything. :(

Why is it too late? There's no window of opportunity on moving; you can do it at any time. Save the money you have accumulated to move and lock it in a CD where you can't spend it on anything else. When the time comes, it'll be there, having earned a few pennies of interest along the way.

You're only 37. I used to think there were true career jobs at WDW but after seeing the level of the average CM on a recent trip, I think that only applies to management positions. True, with your hotel experience there are thousands of jobs in Orlando for you, Disney or not, and one of them might lead to management but even that's not guaranteed.

In this case, I suggest saving WDW as a retirement job - that's what I'm doing. When you're 50 or 55, and you feel you've got a large enough nest egg to live somewhat as a pauper on Disney's salary until Social Security kicks in, and if you're still craving that theme park work experience, THEN take the plunge.

As far as "great weather"...I chuckled. I HATE Florida's weather, but I can understand how those who live in snow would jump at the chance to be in it. Just remember, the grass is not always greener, and Boston is such a great city.

I have a friend who works at the Mandarin Oriental in Boston and loves it. Have you explored working further in the hospitality industry while still there, just to make sure you'd be a good fit further down the line in FL?

I think you made the right decision. You wouldn't want to be trapped on $9 an hour in Florida. If they had to cut back hours you would be on the first flight back to Boston. Would be cool to work as a CM, maybe in the future.

Very rarely is WDW or any of the large hotel/motel chains hiring FT you would be very fortunate to get anything PT We have lived here since 2008 I am employed but PT status, some weeks I can get FT hours but you can't count on it

You are a young man and I agree with PP, keep your job, come visit when you can and save the dream of FL for an early retirement relocation

Hindsight is 20/20 and I love living here but financially I am so stressed every month on just the basic bills

My partner and I are 39 and 45 and we are moving to Orlando in the fall of this year to fulfill our dreams. His dream is to work for Disney, mine is just to GO to Disney as often as I like. Personally, I don't have to work for the parks, but if it turns out that I do, all the better, but I will not be pursuing it just to take a low wage position. I think my best case scenario would be to work for the Disney company in a non-park position.

My partner and I made the move to Orlando over a year ago. My current position at work opened up in Orlando, and I jumped on the opportunity. He had to find another job after getting here, but it worked out. We probably would've moved anyway if I hadn't gotten the job. I love living here and have discovered Orlando has a lot more to offer than the parks. Dreams come true.

I think it's very important to take chances. We moved to Chicago for a while (love that city) a few years ago, but the economy was terrible, and we had a hard time finding decent work. I've never regretted the time we spent there.

You should follow your dreams. That being said, maybe you should consider moving down here without working at Disney. You'd still get to experience the magic whenever you want and wouldn't be limited with a low wage.

I have lived in nine different cities/towns in five different states (once just six blocks from Disneyland!) and a lot of friends and family have spent a lot of time over the years worrying about me and what will become of me. But I haven't -- because I have faith in myself and my ability to thrive wherever I am. I can tell you one thing for sure -- a new place is NEVER everything you expect for it to be. There will always be surprises -- bad and good. Still, taking a chance and pursuing your dreams -- whatever the outcome -- is in itself very fulfilling, and it's something many people never experience. Let me ask you this: do you think that the massive regret you're experiencing now over NOT taking a chance is somehow easier to endure than the regret you MIGHT experience if you make the move and things don't work out just as you might like?

I think the question you have to ask yourself is if you are wanting to move because you are unhappy in Boston or just unhappy with your job. You are obviously feeling the need to change something. Clarify with yourself what the source is. You can make changes and still be unhappy if you change the wrong things.

I made a change at 42 and moved my family from the south to NorCal. It took some time for us to realize how unhappy we were; from the South yet not accepted in southern society for who we are. We figured out the sources and made changes. It took 2 years of planning and job searching before we made the trek. Having children makes one be very deliberate.

Life is too short to not be genuinely happy. Best of luck to you.

This may not be something that is realistic for you but......
My cousin works for Disney 300 hours a year. She lives in another state and is able to go down at different times of the year and work. She works on main street and loves it.
She will go down at times like spring break and work loads of hours that week. She will go down at Christmas time and work loads of hours that week. The goes for a couple weeks-three weeks in the summer.
She is able to get all the Disney discounts and enjoys every minute of it.
She is self employed other than that so that is why her schedule is so flexible but I just thought that may be an option for you.
She was able to make friends with a flight attendent that lives down there and stays with her whenever she is down there and even got an older used car that she leaves down there.
She is over 60 and has a family but just loves doing this and loves the discounts.:goodvibes
So just a thought...... I know it would not be the easient thing to do nor that cost effective.... but you have to admit.. if it all worked out it could be a lot of fun!!!:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter