Should I check out the onsite hotels?

JABRacingOne

Mouseketeer
This is only my 3rd trip to DLR and I have never set foot in any of the onsite hotels. I always stay at the Sheraton on family Starwood timeshare points. Unless I hit the lottery I probably won't ever be able to afford staying on site but I was thinking about making some time to check out the public areas. I would very much like to hear if anyone thinks this would be worth my time.

This is only my 3rd trip to DLR and I have never set foot in any of the onsite hotels. I always stay at the Sheraton on family Starwood timeshare points. Unless I hit the lottery I probably won't ever be able to afford staying on site but I was thinking about making some time to check out the public areas. I would very much like to hear if anyone thinks this would be worth my time.
I think they have some neat decorations up in the Grand for Halloween right now, probably worth checking out. I stayed off site last year and this year I decided to splurge on the DLH - so only time will tell if it is worth it!

With the exception of Vegas I've never been one to go out of my way to check out other resorts/hotels.

That being said, the Grand Californian hotel is super close to California Adventure, and the lobby is very nice. If you are at Soarin or Grizzly River, it's like a 1 minute walk to go into GCH. A lot of people go to the Grand Californian for a lunch break or as a rest stop, so I don't think you would have significantly alter your day to go there. Or, you could easily have lunch there at Whitewater snacks (the QS) or any of the other restaurants.

Just try go at a time when the GCH/DCA entrance is open to the public. During busier times they close it and only allow hotel guests to use it.

Disneyland Hotel is farther, and I haven't been there since I was small, so not sure about that one.

I'd say if you have time on your arrival or departure day, or even if you want an hour or two break from the parks, it's definitely worth checking out the lobby of the Grand and then walk the grounds of the Disneyland Hotel.

The lobby of the Grand is beautiful (especially during holiday times) and there's a lounge where you can grab a drink. The Disneyland hotel has tons of cute artwork and fun stuff in their lobby and restaurant areas, not to mention Trader Sam's out by the pool where you can go for a drink or meal.

I love the pool area in the center of DLH. Trader Sam's is an excellent stop, but it gets very crowded at night. The slide area of the pools is really cool too with the old Disneyland sign and the monorail slides. The lobby of the Grand is also beautiful and we love Hearthstone Lounge for a break of go to Storyteller's for breakfast or dinner.

I agree that checking out the lobby and public areas of the hotels can be a lot of fun. I would especially make a point of visiting the Grand Californian if you're going during HalloweenTime. They've put up a large confectionery display in the lobby that is pretty impressive (hopefully they'll continue the tradition and have a holiday show piece up during the holiday season).

Grand Californian - Main Hall and restaurants
Disneyland Hotel - Fantasy Tower, Steakhouse 55 area, Goofys dining, Trader Sams
Paradise Pier - Lobby Lounge (Does server draft Newcastle and drinks) and PCH Grill

As others have mentioned, checking out the hotels can be a nice break from the parks. It's super easy to take the Monorail from Tomorrowland and get off at DTD. It's then only a few minutes to walk to the DLH. I love love love eating at Tangaroa Terrace or having a drink at Trader Sam's. You can sit at the terrace overlooking the pools, surrounded by palm trees. It's very relaxing.

GCH Lobby is gorgeous and a nice place to rest your feet for a bit. I like to sit in the area by the fireplace.

DLH is also worth a visit. It has a more "Disney" theme to me and I like to see the old photos and other things that they have displayed in the main building.

PPH isn't worth the extra steps to me, unless you're going to be eating there. I did enjoy the character breakfast when I was there with my family in December.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try to work it into my schedule. I will be traveling solo so it really shouldn't be too difficult.

I really love the Disneyland Hotel grounds. The pool and the area surrounding Trader Sam's and Tangaroa Terrace are so lovely, and I like going in the lobby of each tower to see all the different themed decor. The teacup seats in Fantasy Tower are my favorite!

In addition to Fantasy Tower, check out the Frontier Tower. And the lobby in the Fantasy Tower, check out the chairs and the tv in the lobby. If it is Christmas time, walk all over the lobby and convention area. I love the Santa set up in the DLH and the Lounge at Steakhouse 55. Then also head to Trader Sam's! I love the Hawaiian singer there. So much fun!

Even when I don't stay at the GCH I stop by for a snack or an afternoon cocktail in the Hearthstone Lounge or the Napa Rose--such a delight. I also enjoy the lobby of the GCH to relax, listen to the piano, and the savor the seasonal decorations.

Last edited:
GCH and DLH are both incredibly close to Downtown Disney and the Monorail. If you are going to spend any time at DTD it's very easy to check out the great Disneyland hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter