Should I buy?

i'd think twice about this. might have issues getting everyone on the same page. also a risk if one person goes bankrupt or has financial issues - it impacts everyone.

This one.

If your parents wanted to own DVC, wouldn't they own it by now? How old is your brother, is he settled, married, kids? Is he on board. Are you married with kids? Do you intend to be.

Lets just say for instance that neither you or your brother are currently married. Five years from now, one or the other of you are married and have three adorable and wonderful children - you no longer fit in a studio and need a bigger allocation of points - what do you do? Do you split the points.

Lets say neither of you is married, but one of you gets married and their wife really isn't into Disney - but introduced her spouse to the wonder of skiing - suddenly that brother - and his wife - aren't going to use points and wants out - do you sell the whole contract (you can't sell out part) or do your parents and you eat the cost of the contract.

Sometimes people buy with other people and it works out great, but make sure that everyone is on the same page about the commitment, that you understand up front how you are going to split the use of points and the expenses, and what you are going to do as the makeup of your family changes with marriage, kids, retirement - even - but hopefully not - divorce or death.

:) There is no way, NO WAY that I would get into a timeshare agreement with family. I love, love, love my parents and my MIL and trust them wholeheartedly. They would not buy a timeshare with me either. That is just something left to the individual ultimately and I am sure you can think of different scenarios where entering into a timeshare with anyone other than a spouse is not wise. However they do come on trips with us and DH and I "give" them a studio for "free" and never ask or expect payment. We love sharing DVC with them but they have nothing to do with the contract... other than screaming "YES!!" when they want to go. I give them the dates ahead and then they know that it is a done deal and only due to illness would they ever back out.

This year it's my parents turn and next May MIL is joining us. For instance I never ask my Brother or SIL to join us. They have 5 children and would require a 2 bedroom at least. I just do not have enough points for that, plus as much as I love them they are very last minute planners and generally unorganized vacationers. It works for them. I would have a nervous breakdown traveling with them. I know this so it never even comes up for discussion. One day we will see them in Disney. They will have rented points from David's and DH and I will be there on our own contract. We will meet them for ADRs.

Yeah, I wouldn't go in with family either. They can rent points from us or come with us on our vacation.

Very good deal... inflation adjusted that works out to the equivalent of only $1.61 per point per year if you were to buy the same thing today. Cummulative rate of inflation from 1997 to 2013 is 45.5%

Do you also account for the free park tickets? We bought in 1993 and went 2x each year through the end of the free pass promotion. Figure an avg of 5 park days/trip.

I'm sure that brought our cost per point down somewhat.

I agree with others that I would consider a solo purchase. Given that, I think you could buy 100 to 125 points to start and get your typical yearly trip in a studio.

Given the price on the resale market--and I would start there unless you really want VGF and then you have to go direct--you are looking at a cost of maybe $8000 to $10,000 to start, depending on resort.

If you don't have a preference for a resort, SSR will offer probably the best upfront cost with the lowest annual dues.

But, I'd continue to research and make sure that you understand DVC as it is a timeshare, which is different than booking cash stays via Disney. Booking really needs to be done much farther in advance. Most of us book 7 to 11 months ahead of time.

There are certain times of the year where this is super important. Last minute travel is not as easy and there are rules for cancelation. There is no daily mousekeoing, but you can pay for it if you want. Most members are fine with the limited service that happens.

Good luck!!

Frankly, I spent my twenties going from one underpaid, under appreciated job to the next. I'm really glad I waited until I was in my late 30s to join DVC.

PS, I remember being approached about DVC on our honeymoon in 1992. The guy at the kiosk said we could own at The Disney Vacation Club for just $11,000+ dollars. Yes, it was a good deal. We thought the guy was from Mars. Even so, spending $11,000 for 200+ points would have been disastrous for us at that point. I can only imagine the fights my husband and I would have had because we would not have been able to buy a car when we needed it a few years later, and would have had a hard time paying the maintenance fees at time.

I'm glad I didn't buy DVC in the early 1990s. It would have been the wrong choice for us.

Hey all,

I wanted to get your opinion on whether or not I should buy into DVC. I've been an avid Disney fan my entire life, going nearly every year with my parents. Now 26, I've been 3 times since living on my once I graduated college. I usually stay for am average of 5-6 nights a year.

If I do purchase, I would get a somewhat large amount of points...maybe 200-220, so that my brother and parents could split the cost with me and we could all benefit from it. If I were to get this many, how much would it be? Also, is it worth it to?

I look forward to your amazing feedback!!
I would never suggest a family partnership for many reasons. This simply sounds like a bad plan to me. If you're going alone or just staying in a value or moderate and are single, I likely wouldn't buy at this time. Rather I would cont to investigate and save if needed then buy when the time were right.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I am on the resale market for BCV, VWL, and OKW. If one of those were expiring in 10 years, while the other ones were expiring in 30, I would cross that one off the list, or at best only be willing to pay A LOT LESS for it.

Time is a factor in a cost-benefit analysis.

Also, I am not saying it should be a purchasing factor, just that it affects the appeal of direct purchase prices in my opinion.

That being said, anyone is welcome to pay whatever they want for anything.
I'm not sure you're saying much different, just coming at it from both sides. There will be a value that can be calculated, it may not may not be much. Certainly at some point it will be zero. I'm of the opinion that the contracts will reach a zero total value a few years before the end of the RTU, how few years is the question but I'd say at least 2-3.

Hey all,

I wanted to get your opinion on whether or not I should buy into DVC. I've been an avid Disney fan my entire life, going nearly every year with my parents. Now 26, I've been 3 times since living on my once I graduated college. I usually stay for am average of 5-6 nights a year.

If I do purchase, I would get a somewhat large amount of points...maybe 200-220, so that my brother and parents could split the cost with me and we could all benefit from it. If I were to get this many, how much would it be? Also, is it worth it to?

I look forward to your amazing feedback!!

Would you, your brother and parents travel all at the same time? Would they all just get studios?

200-220 points is not a lot in many cases.....We have 280 and are always borrowing from the year ahead (read: we probably should buy more). But we never get a studio and we always book two bedroom villas (3 kids will do that to you).

Good luck with your decision.

Frankly, I spent my twenties going from one underpaid, under appreciated job to the next. I'm really glad I waited until I was in my late 30s to join DVC.

PS, I remember being approached about DVC on our honeymoon in 1992. The guy at the kiosk said we could own at The Disney Vacation Club for just $11,000+ dollars. Yes, it was a good deal. We thought the guy was from Mars. Even so, spending $11,000 for 200+ points would have been disastrous for us at that point. I can only imagine the fights my husband and I would have had because we would not have been able to buy a car when we needed it a few years later, and would have had a hard time paying the maintenance fees at time.

I'm glad I didn't buy DVC in the early 1990s. It would have been the wrong choice for us.

We are the same - people always say "I wish I would have bought sooner" - between the time I first saw DVC and the time we bought, I went through a divorce (would have had to sell), remarriage and a wedding, job crisis, fertility treatments, adoption, and built a house. I couldn't possibly have afforded it after the divorce, and at the very least it would have been burdensome and I probably would have sold it during the fertility crisis or house building.

Am Curious if the OP made a decision based on the responses?

I've been on the fence for quite some time about buying. We go to mods (the deluxes on my signature are work related so don't count) and so far with free dining. And thiat's the problem. I can't see the reason on going and wanting to cook my own meals during vacation. Dining plan for 2A and 2Jr (adults for dining) is too much.

I figured out that if the free dining promos would end, then I would consider a low 100-120 points. That would probably cost us the same but we would be in a better resort.

But now we discovered DCL and unfortunately DVC is really not cost effective and it's much of a waste of points...

So if FD truly ends, then maybe...

I've been on the fence for quite some time about buying. We go to mods (the deluxes on my signature are work related so don't count) and so far with free dining. And thiat's the problem. I can't see the reason on going and wanting to cook my own meals during vacation. Dining plan for 2A and 2Jr (adults for dining) is too much.

I figured out that if the free dining promos would end, then I would consider a low 100-120 points. That would probably cost us the same but we would be in a better resort.

But now we discovered DCL and unfortunately DVC is really not cost effective and it's much of a waste of points...

For our family eating in our villa has become part of the vacation. It isn't about running to a park or attraction, it's about spending quality time with the family, sometime eating out and sometime eating in. We may just walk around and people watch or go into a park for our favorite things and leaving early.

DVC and vacationing at WDW a couple of times per year has really changed our Disney vacations.

:earsboy: Bill

I don't think you should purchase into DVC if 'free dining' is what motivates you currently to make a reservation. The only exception is if you start thinking of DVC in the concept of 'prepaying for your accommodations." Free dining is not free, it is just 'in' the resort cost; in the same way that a stay using points is not free even if your contract is paid in full.

Please also realize that it is an opinion of some not all on these forums that DCL is a waste of points. Many DVC owners happily use their points towards a cruise and have no regrets and find it a rewarding method of spending their points. Sure, numbers can be run but value is in the eyes of the beholder. I have talked to other people on these forums who feel quite intimidated by the very vocal opinions about the 'right' way to use points.

Anyway, good luck making your future decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter