Should I add the DDP?

A&J's mom

Earning My Ears
We are going June 23 - 30 and now my parents are asking if I need to add the DDP to our package. Would it be worth it for 4 adults, one DD(6) and DS(22mos)? I don't know if I should add it or not and wanted to see what everyone else thought. Thanks!

It depends on a series of questions you need to answer for yourself.

On the DDP you'd be receiving 1 Table service, one counter Service and one Snack Credit per day to be used however you see fit.

Will you and your party be able to do one or 2 table services a day. Becuase the Table service meals are really where you are going to save on the DDP.

Are you willing to make your ADR's 180 days in advance? If you don't you won't get the times/places you want. If so then the DDP could work for you

What kind of eaters are the people in your group. If you are all big eaters than the DDP is a definite good thing.

Your DD6 would need to eat off of the children's menus which are EXTREMELY limited to child friendly foods (mac n'cheese, chicken fingers, pizza). You can get around this somewhat by dining at the many buffets available on the DDP. But if you're 6 year old (or your toddler for that matter), doesn't like typical child friendly food, or likes MORE than just those foods the kids might not be very happy on the DDP.

Go to Deb Willis's allears.net and go look at the menus (both child and adult) for the DDP plan and see what you think.

We just got back. 4A & 1C and I think it was worth it. I would do the DDP again for us. We ate meals at slightly off times to get the reservations we wanted and did mostly buffets. There were times when dd was not eating and that was ok. She is more of a grazer anyway.

For us it's worth it. We like to eat at the nice T/S locations.

Another consideration -

DH is fine budgeting to pay for the total package (whatever it ends up being - with or without DDP etc) but if we don't pre-pay for the DDP, he will penny pinch and nit pick over every single meal while we're there. It's MISERABLE when he's being like that. We end up eating more counter service (which neither of us like that much) because he has to see the dining bill at each and every meal and it stresses him out. (And, no, saving the money ahead of time for the meals we'd eat there OOP doesn't matter - it's a gripe/stress with every single meal paid for OOP. With the package it's one gripe when the final bill is due and then it's over - and he fusses the same way whether it has the DDP or not. Just get it over with once and be done with it!) With the DDP, when the bill comes, he now looks at it and says "Wow! Look how much we saved!" simply because the money isn't coming out of his pocket at that moment.

Remember, the 22 month old won't cost anything on the DDP - they eat free off your plate(s) which, at buffets, mean they can eat anything there free.

Without the DDP we eat cheap, even at the TS places. I'll look at the least expensive menu item, no dessert and share a appie. (I;m a cheapo;) )Not as much enjoyment as knowing your meal is already paid for and you can order the filet mignon without stress.

For us it's totally worth it to eat at the more upscale restaurants. My DH won't ever stay off site because they don't offer the DDP:thumbsup2

The last time we went we went with our three kids (13, 13, 6) and my parents. We did the DDP and never regretted it. It was nice to sit and order whatever we wanted without worrying about the bill. With the ages of your kids, you could go to a few character dinners which I am sure they would enjoy. Just be sure to make your reservations as soon as you are allowed.

It was definitely worth it for us last May - 2 adults and DS (at the time 22months). It forced us to plan ahead and research what we wanted to do each day and where we wanted to eat. That added even more anticipation for us. We only had to pay for DH and I on the DDP and at DS's age it was hit or miss whether he would eat much. He ate off our plates and with appetizer, meal, dessert at all TS, there was plenty to share with him. At buffets he could eat whatever he wanted.
We went to Disney again in Feb 2007 for me to attend a conference and we weren't able to get the DDP (because the resort room was at the conference rate) and boy did we miss it. Just the few TS dinners we had put us well over what we would have paid for the DDP for the entire stay.

We try to do a variety of character meals so that we don't have to waste time in the long lines at the parks. And DH likes a sit down meal each day. So for us it was a savings of almost 50%. We used to pay oop and would average about $150 per day. With DDP the three of us spend almost half of that.

Definitely add DDP. While I loved being able to have a sit down meal every night for dinner, not just for the scrumptious food, but because the break is nice. I am sure we would have spent much more on food had we paid OOP and probably would have had only 2-3 sit downs for the whole trip.

Thank you for the wonderful advice! I didn't add the DDP yet and Wednesday will mark the 45 days til WDW for us! I'm still not sure if I need or can even add it now. My DH doesn't like buffets and will not eat at them and my DD can be extremely picky at times. Maybe we'll see how bad we all do this time and if we spend a complete fortune the next time I'll add the DDP first thing, but it sure would be nice if it was free DDP in June!:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter