• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shorts at Dinner?

This made me laugh. As a mother of 5, I could not believe a child could " forget" his shoes until I had them. They can forget anything, and sometimes I am too busy to notice.

Trust me, it's not only children. We have a pile of shoes that people have forgotten at the yoga studio I go to. Shoes forgotten in NYC. And some recently - even with the snow and ice.

I'm assuming that they had other shoes in their bags or something, but the sheer number we have does make you go hmmm...

Everyone should do what they feel most comfortable doing and not worry about what anyone else thinks.

Last edited:
Wish the new forum listed everyones reported location like the old site, because then I wouldn't have to ask.
If you click on the person's avatar (on the left side of post), it still shows location (if the person included that info in the first place, as not everyone does).

We have done 15 Disney cruises, all but 4 are at least 7 days and many are out of United states. When we first started doing Disney we assumed that formal night actually meant what it means on other cruise lines and brought long dress, tuxedo, etc plus cocktail attire for other dinners. The first Disney cruise my husband brought tux, suit and sport coat. We quickly learned that Disney was much more casual. Except in Europe where the non Americans are much better dressed overall. We always do late seating and our whole family enjoys taking showers and getting at least a little dressed up. Maybe it's just me but I insist the kids either wear long pants or skirts for dinner. My husband has given up the sport coat except for formal night and Palo but still wears polo shirt and pants. I don't remember seeing many shorts on adults at late seating but I'm sure there are. It doesn't bother me except for men in grubby or sleeveless tshirts at dinner.

My question is: What do kids wear on all of these nights? We are going on our first Disney Cruise (Fantasy in May). Boys are 9, 6, and 2.5. We are not a dressy family. I am happy to wear a cocktail dress or a sundress and my husband is fine wearing khakis and a nice shirt, etc. (or slightly more formal on "formal" night). But, how dressed up do little kids get? Can they wear pants and polo shirts to formal night or is that too casual? Can they wear shorts and polo shirts to most dinners? Thanks!

The boys are fine in shorts the casual night dinners. . Khakis are fine for formal night. It's a great night to get a family picture. There will be Disney photographs taking pictures.
Google Disney cruise formal night photos and you can see the different areas where they take pictures.

Your sons can wear khakis for formal night and will be just fine. But I will say that you can buy very inexpensive little boys tuxedos online and they make for a great family photo. My husband has a "real" tuxedo for formal events we attend on occasion (although you can also rent them on board, too). I buy an inexpensive one for my son each time we sail if he's outgrown the last one. I just think it's fun. He was in a little tuxedo on his first cruise at five months old, and in one on his most recent cruise at age six. My four year twin girls love having fancy dresses. I guess we just treat formal night kind of like pirate night in that it's a fun excuse to get dressed up - just a different kind of costume. All that said, just have fun. When my son is nine, I may get push back for our cruise attire so I'm enjoying it now! Lol.

Aren't those places called Palo and Remy????
exactly there are some poel that will, go to them every night of a cruise if they can. As I said before if what other people were in the MDR is a problem then maybe Disney isn't the right cruise line and you should be looking at ones were the dinning room is formal every night or they will turn people in shorts away from them.

My question is: What do kids wear on all of these nights? We are going on our first Disney Cruise (Fantasy in May). Boys are 9, 6, and 2.5. We are not a dressy family. I am happy to wear a cocktail dress or a sundress and my husband is fine wearing khakis and a nice shirt, etc. (or slightly more formal on "formal" night). But, how dressed up do little kids get? Can they wear pants and polo shirts to formal night or is that too casual? Can they wear shorts and polo shirts to most dinners? Thanks!

My 5 yo son wore shorts, a solid color t-shirt and flip-flops on formal night. Don't worry about it and let them wear shorts if you want.

Just off the Fantasy yesterday. I guess 5-8% of adults wear shorts to dinner in the first seating....including me at times.

One of the pleasures of marrying a Hawaiian girl is that Hawaiian shirts are considered formal wear. Got married in a hawaiian shirt too.

I wear a different Disney Aloha shirt to dinner every night, including with my tuxedo. :D

I wear shorts every night except Formal night, and on the next cruise I'll be wearing shorts every night because we're slowly working toward being able to roll on/roll off and not have to check anything. Each cruise we get more and more compact in our packing.

We sailed on the Wonder 5 night out of Miami on Feb 1, and the MDR attire was very casual, and comfortable, the two times we went to Palo for a brunch and dinner, we dressed accordingly. At our Dinner the last night before we returned to Miami, as we were leaving Palo a group (6-8) people had arrived for Dinner, they were I'm guessing from India, as the women were wearing gorgeous dresses and sashes, however a few of the men were wearing jeans! The Maitre'd actually was getting pants out of a closet to give to the men so they could go change. I never have seen that before on board and was impressed how prepared the staff was.

To me, dressing up even for the Main Dining Rooms is fun, so I wore dresses or a skirt every meal (though a couple of dresses were quite casual). My husband doesn't own a lot of shorts and the ones he does own are really casual for doing work or hiking in, so he was happy in dark wash jeans or slacks and a button-up or polo. I never felt overdressed compared to other guests. The other men at our table wore nice khaki shorts most evenings and it didn't bother me, but they always wore polos or button-ups too. It's really how the whole outfit is put together that determines "appropriateness" in my opinion.

I remember quite a few people dressing in shorts or tank tops even on nicer nights. There are people out there who don't find dressing up to be fun, so I suppose that those people don't enjoy dressing up. And if the dining staff didn't find a problem with it, then it's not a problem with me. I think it's kind of a lost opportunity to have an excuse to take "nicer/fancier" pictures of the family/have a different dining opportunity, but if that's not what the people want to do, then it's not what they want to do. People are different and life is more fun that way. :)

So to summarize: if you like dressing up, go for it! If you find it tedious, then go comfy. If you're just concerned if you'll match the other guests, you might be stressing yourself out, but know that there will be at least one other person dressing like you and that doesn't make you the odd duck out.

Maybe they should have a separate dining room for the fancy pants people and the rest of us pigs could dine in peace:)
LOL - good one!

They could leave the elegant dining rooms for the fancy pants people and feed the rest of you pigs from a trough on deck!

I didn't realize this was such a dramariffic issue so I wasn't paying attention to what everyone else was wearing. I'm not even sure what my husband wore. This cruise was a vacation from a very cold winter for me so I know I wore shorts or light sundresses to the MDRs and everywhere else. I would have went in a bathing suit if I could have. I'm guessing DH wore khaki shorts and short sleeve shirts since that's pretty much all he brought. My poor piggy kids wore gym shorts, tees, and crocs since they were usually coming from the kids club and I wanted them to be comfortable. We only dressed up for formal night. I didn't feel out of place or uncomfortable at all, and no one threw their bread rolls at us!

I love these threads. I live in FL and flip flops are formal wear everywhere you go. DH and I have been on 3 cruises. He does not own a suit or a jacket but he does have button down shirts. They are all either Hawaiian or say Harley Davidson on them. He has no reason to own a suit or dress up clothes. I have no interest in Palo or Remy so we don't dress up. Optional formal night I did wear a sun dress with a shrug over it but other than that, a casual top and jeans. He wore a button down as previously described and jeans. One more reason we picked DCL is for the more casual dress. I hate getting dressed up and won't unless I have to. I don't think it's an issue really but I guess I'm used to people in FL being on vacation and showing up at the local chain restaurant dressed extremely casual. Most of the places on the beach (not all mind you) will allow you in their places with a bathing suit on.
My Mom always said, that's why there is salt & pepper. As long as you are neat and not an obnoxious, crazy, drunk loud person,who cares?

To the question about DH bringing Khakis when you and DD are in dresses, that would be nice.

Like PP said you see more of it on the Dream Class and in my experience much less so on classics. That is adults I am speaking about, kids more so now than before. In 1999 it was a rare kid you saw, now I would say more but far fewer than half.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter