Short Trip, Quick Reviews Dec-2010 - Complete 1/11

great reviews,We have an adr at Via Napoli in June,your pictures sure look good.Can't wait.

Jawohl! A big roaster full of pork, kielbasa, and sauerkraut is in the oven right now!

That cheesecake is the best!

:cloud9: We had pork chops and sauerkraut. I put a little apple juice in the sauerkraut and it came out delicious! I also made au gratin potatoes...from a box.

HI Kelly!! I haven't been on the Dining Boards in FOREVER!! Glad to have found someone I "know". Great reviews so far. Via Napoli looked fantastic!!

As did the Dolphin. Your drink choices looked so nommy-nommy!!!

Welcome to the Dining Boards. They're my favorite popcorn::

REALLY?!! And I"m stuck with hamburger cassarole. Clearly you are the winner tonight!

Now you'll be buggy all year! :sad2:

The DIS ate my post! Very weird. Let's see if I can remember what I said...

I had no idea the All Star Food Court took the TiW! That is very nice. I wonder if it's the only food court that does? :scratchin

Biergarten...yum. :love: That cheesecake is from heaven!

Sorry to hear that check-in took an hour. :headache: That's annoying.

Looking forward to more!

Any location that only has Counter Service will take TiW...I forget the exact list, but it's all the value resorts and possibly POFQ. I think there's also some over at Animal Kingdom that take it :thumbsup2

Oooookay. So I posted the second response and now both appear.

Weird.

All well! :laughing:

:rotfl2: I don't know what happened :confused3

Great review! I totally understand what you say about bluezoo, I am not really sure wether I would feel comfortable there, it looks far too trendy to me... And then I am not a seafood lover.

I enjoyed your perspective on Biergarten! Being German I have never tried it so far since it just feels wrong eating German food while being on vacation in a foreign country, but I really want to try it on my next trip. :goodvibes And I think a Riesling is a pretty good choice as a drink in a German restaurant. I loved it that you actually spelled it the correct way as well! :thumbsup2

We have a few restaurants around here that serve German food, but none that have the selection of Biergarten.

My secret on Riesling? The Finger Lakes (of NY) wine region is very similar in climate to Germany. Rieslings are very popular in the area and I heard at one of the (many) classes I've taken that we're one of the top 3 Riesling producing areas in the world...in terms of quality, not necessarily quantity. When I'm home, I usually order one of the local Rieslings, so I know I like dry ones, but I have no idea what to order when it comes to other parts of the world :confused3 The big difference in a German and NY State Riesling is that German ones tend to be more minerally than the NY State ones.

Yeah, you don't see that everyday! :rotfl2:

:teacher:

great reviews,We have an adr at Via Napoli in June,your pictures sure look good.Can't wait.

Mmmm, just wait until I get to round two of Via Napoli!

Well the whole German/English "ie" and "ei" confusion is difficult! :goodvibes I have seen so many people referring to Spaceship Earth's sponsor as "Seimens"... :confused3

My friend works for Siemens, so I've got that one down too :thumbsup2

subscribing...............that mulled cider looks great.

I could go for one tonight :rolleyes1

So I saw this post on the Disney Food Blog. I knew immediately we needed to try one during our stay. What better time than breakfast? :confused3

Ariel and I hit Hollywood Studios at opening, rode TSM and then went for cupcakes. Her brother, Goofy, joined us during breakfast.

20101205_125.jpg

Taken while waiting.

After a small wait, we got our cupcakes. Many people were jealous that we were eating cupcakes for breakfast and told us just how smart we were. :teacher: We WERE on vacation after all!

Of course, we didn't get just one cupcake. We got 2. We split them both. Officially, Ariel got the Butterfinger Cupcake:
20101205_127.jpg

And I got the Red Velvet Cupcake:
20101205_128.jpg

I don't know why I have two knives there :confused3

...I was covered in frosting by the time Goofy showed up, so I didn't get pictures of his food. I think he was boring and got one of those cinnamon rolls I pictured early.

The verdict? Ehhhh on the Butterfinger Cupcake. The outer shell of the frosting was hard, which made it difficult to eat with a fork (we were trying to be proper!) and difficult to split. It was excruciatingly sweet...and I like sweet!

The Red Velvet on the other hand was heaven. Just the right amount of sweet, a moist cake, perfect frosting. I'd definitely get it again and we both agreed it was the winner of our cupcake throwdown!

My only real complaint about Starring Rolls is the seating. We wound up sitting on a bench, which isn't the most conducive to eating a massive cupcake.

After checking for a walk up at Mama Melrose & Brown Derby (Goofy decided he didn't want counter service...) we made our way over to Epcot. After checking a few more places, we wound up at Via Napoli...for me? Again.

I decided that I should try something other than pizza, so I went with the Lasanga Verde:
20101205_141.jpg

It was delicious! Creamy and hot without being heavy. I actually finished the whole thing :rolleyes1

Goofy & Ariel split the Procuttio & Melon pizza:
20101205_142.jpg

They enjoyed it. Could definitely see why I said I didn't mind eating there again :goodvibes

This time...we got dessert :banana:

I had the Zeppoles:
20101205_143.jpg

O.M.G. I didn't share. They were so good. The chocolate sauce was not just Hershey's syrup, it was fantastic. I highly HIGHLY recommend these.

Goofy got the "Ugly but Good"
20101205_144.jpg

It was some kind of sundae. Not really my style, but he really enjoyed it.

Ariel got the Tiramisu:
20101205_145.jpg

If I'm being honest...this looks like every restaurant's standard tiramisu. I wasn't overly impressed with it (because I could tell it came from a box.) But she enjoyed it. I think I won in the dessert department :thumbsup2

Overall, I enjoyed Via Napoli again. Our waiter tried to tell me I couldn't use TiW because it was the weekend. Apparently I gave him a look because he checked again on it (without me asking--I didn't care enough to push the issue.) So he won points for that. The only thing I'll mention is that my dish came out before their pizza. Not a big deal since we're adults (and we were warned before hand) but I can see how that might be a big deal for families with children, so just an FYI.

ESPN Club
I'm a failure. I always forget to take pictures when we eat at the ESPN Club :sad2: There was a line for seating actually in the restaurant, but we walked into the bar area and found an open booth. There were a few college games going on, so it was more crowded than we expected. Our service was very slow (I'm guessing) because of this...it took a half hour to get our bill after we were done eating. I felt bad because there was a family who wanted our booth that wound up at a high top table.

Anyway, both Ariel & I got the turkey & brie sandwich that they had. It was fantastic and really hit the spot. I like the ESPN Club when you just want something simple. Plus, it's usually easy to walk in and find an open table in the bar area.

Jellyrolls
Afterwards, we headed over to Jellyrolls. I love Jellyrolls, I think it's a delightfully fun time. If you haven't been, it's a dueling piano bar (I think the cover was $10.) You can request songs by writing them on a napkin and putting them on the piano with a tip. If you're 21+, check it out!

All Star Movies Food Court-Breakfast
My parents came up to take me to the airport, so we all got breakfast at the food court before I left (Goofy was taking Ariel later that day.) I don't remember what everyone had...I'm useless without pictures! But everything came out hot & fresh!

I do remember that I had the adult portion of the Mickey Waffle. I know it's just a waffle, but it's something about having a *Mickey* waffle at Disney...I love it. :thumbsup2 Overall I'm impressed with the value's food courts. They're very efficient, especially in the morning :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

And this concludes my food journey. Thanks for joining me! :wave: I'll leave you with a picture since this entry is lacking :sad2:
20101205_37.jpg

Gingerbread creation from the Boardwalk. Anyone for roast duck?

Loved your reviews. The zeppoles always look so stinkin' good. When we eat there next time I have to remember to leave room for dessert!

We had a Butterfinger Cupcake in December 09 and it was delicious. VERY sweet (3 of us couldn't finish it), but otherwise fantastic. I hope the quality hasn't gone down since! I love Red Velvet, so that or the peanut butter one is next on my list. YUM.

The verdict? Ehhhh on the Butterfinger Cupcake. The outer shell of the frosting was hard, which made it difficult to eat with a fork (we were trying to be proper!) and difficult to split. It was excruciatingly sweet...and I like sweet!

I only recently read about this butterfinger Cupcake. The first couple of reviews said it was heaven, but lately I've seen a couple like yours, saying it was too sweet. Dang, I was rooting for it.

My wife loves red velvet cake, so I'm sure she'd go for that one.

Goofy & Ariel split the Procuttio & Melon pizza:
20101205_142.jpg

This looks sooo good.

I had the Zeppoles:
20101205_143.jpg

O.M.G. I didn't share. They were so good. The chocolate sauce was not just Hershey's syrup, it was fantastic. I highly HIGHLY recommend these.

Your review has sold me on these. I'm gonna remember 'em!

thanks for sharing and enjoyed the reviews. I loved Via Napoli and I had the Ugly but good and I loved it.

Glad you enjoyed!

I only recently read about this butterfinger Cupcake. The first couple of reviews said it was heaven, but lately I've seen a couple like yours, saying it was too sweet. Dang, I was rooting for it.

My wife loves red velvet cake, so I'm sure she'd go for that one.

This looks sooo good.

Your review has sold me on these. I'm gonna remember 'em!

The red velvet was definitely the way to go. I mean, I like sweets (once I finish typing this, I'm gonna dig out the Ben & Jerrys in my freezer!) but the Butterfinger was just tooooo sweet!

The zeppoles were delicious. Make sure they're in your notes!

Thanks for the great reviews!! I'm really enjoying reading them!!

Thanks for joining!

All this food is making me hungry! Great reviews

Looking for reviews of restaurants for our May trip and what do I find. I didn't realize you went in December.

We have Biergarten booked for the first time. Glad you enjoyed it! I just changed Whispering Canyon(we have already been) to Captains Grille so I was looking for reviews for there since we have never been.

Via Napoli looks good, we are just a bit scared to eat anything Italian in Florida. Especially pizza.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter