Shore Excursions in Alaska

doriemg

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

Does anyone have a recommendation for independent shore excursion companies in the Alaska ports? Or any recommendations for ones to stay away from? I'd like to book our excursions through Disney but I found out there's a chance that the ones I want to book might be sold out before they're open for me to reserve. I understand that port adventures are available to the Concierge level and the Castaway Cay Club Members before they're available to the rest of the cruise ship guests so I'd like to be prepared. I did an internet search for shore excursions in Alaska and there's so many companies but how do you know if they're reputable :worried:??? I'd appreciate any comments anyone has. Thanks.

My hubby and I were on one of DCL's Alaska cruises in 2011. Since we were first time cruisers, I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to book some of the excursions we wanted since some of them specified that they were of very limited availability (Steam Train in Skagway and Alaska Whales & Rainforest Trails in Juneau). But, I had no trouble at all - even after taking the time to book for Palo first, I was able to get all the excursions I wanted.

Just wanted to let you know that just because others get first dibs doesn't mean you'll be out of luck.:) I didn't want to book independent excursions so I did make sure I had a 2nd and 3rd choice for each port, just in case.

Here is thread with reviews for both DCL excursions and private excursions - you might find some good info there.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2723087http://

Hope this helps!

Aby

doriemg said:
Hi All,

Does anyone have a recommendation for independent shore excursion companies in the Alaska ports? Or any recommendations for ones to stay away from? I'd like to book our excursions through Disney but I found out there's a chance that the ones I want to book might be sold out before they're open for me to reserve. I understand that port adventures are available to the Concierge level and the Castaway Cay Club Members before they're available to the rest of the cruise ship guests so I'd like to be prepared. I did an internet search for shore excursions in Alaska and there's so many companies but how do you know if they're reputable :worried:??? I'd appreciate any comments anyone has. Thanks.

What excursions are you hoping to do?

What excursions are you hoping to do?

We were hoping to do the Yukon Expedition in Skagway, one of the helicopter tours over the Juneau Icefield in Juneau, and in Ketchikan we were thinking of taking one of the Misty Fjords Floatplanes. My husband and older son were interested in kayaking in one of the ports too so we're hoping to be able to fit that in.

Michelle with Island Wings gets excellent reviews for the Misty Fjords excursion and we are saving almost $400 going through her as our DS is no charge and our daughter is at a discounted rate. Reviews can be found on the link above and on trip advisor. There are lots of video on YouTube as well. Good luck!

Emily

Thank you all for the great info. I really appreciate your help. I feel much better prepared now. I was actually worried about the port adventures being sold out to me because we have relatives taking the same Disney cruise in June (ours isn't until August) and my cousin e-mailed to tell me that she was online at midnight of the first day and a lot of the adventures that she wanted were already sold out. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us and I just want it to be the best it can be for myself and my family.

So with that said, Aby, thanks for the words of encouragement and the link to the Alaska excursions thread. Wow, is that one overwhelming but I bet there's a lot of great info in there. I need a good 2 or 3...days to comb through that one. :rotfl2:

And emilyann415, I took a look at Island Wings and OMG, I think we're going to go with her. If everything she says on her web site is true that will be an unbeatable excursion!!! The fact that she has so many great reviews on tripadvisor is very reassuring too. Thanks for that tip. I hope your cruise is great!

FYI.......we are going on first Aug cruise and only had a few options with Michelle. I'd book ASAP if I were you.

Good luck

Thanks for the tip. I've already filled out her reservation form and am waiting to hear back from her. I REALLY want this excursion.

We're cruising the 2nd week in August. What other port excursions are you planning to do?

doriemg said:
Thanks for the tip. I've already filled out her reservation form and am waiting to hear back from her. I REALLY want this excursion.

We're cruising the 2nd week in August. What other port excursions are you planning to do?

They are great to deal with. If she is booked, try Dave rocke at family air. Great reviews, great guy and excellent service. We booked direct ith coastal in Juneau.ni have also heard good things about eras and temseco. I booked inert with chilakoot tours in skagway

We booked with chilkoot tours in Skagway on white pass railroad. We are doing the one that goes up by train and back by bus. A lot of people say round trip via train is too long.

In Juneau check out Harv & Marvs whale watching. Small boats so you usually can have better closer views of the whales. I've talked to LOTS of people who recommend them. If you have kids and want them to go you need to reserve all 5-6 seats.

We used Juneau Limo. We had a great time.

Wildlife watching- bears, eagles, salmon

menenhall glacier- hiking

Panning for gold- twice since he kids loved it.

scenic stops for pictures

I did the bearing sea fishermans tour I booked independent and saved close to $20 a ticket. We have done whale watching with capt Larry and orca enterprises twice, done the train did a jeep tour. We are just doing to the tour in Ketchincan we may go to the glacier in Juneau if the weather is nice you can take a bus for $16 r/t. I plan to relax and take it easy as This is my 3rd trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter