She said it wouldn't be boring!-WONDER WB Caribbean cruise - Bonus Posts Wrap up

franandaj

I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!
Hi folks! We're back on another DCL adventure. It's been far too long since our last cruise which was back in April of 2013. Here we are on that cruise.

Back when I was starting my TR for the Southwest Road Trip, I struggled to find pictures of the two of us that were not taken while eating or were not taken at Disney. This past summer, Fran's health has been better than ever and we embarked on quite a few new and exciting adventures.

Here we are at a Car Club get together that I did a short post for it on my last TR

This is us at the Star Trek Convention in July, Post 1, Post 2, Post 3, Post 4

And here we are on a Midwestern road trip last August which included a variety of fun none of which was Disney related. Post 1, Post 2, Post 3

It's time for us to get back to good old Disney fun. We have planned a 5 night Western Caribbean Cruise out of Miami on the Wonder followed by 5 nights in Ft. Lauderdale with about 200 friends. For those who have followed along before you know that I like to start out the TR as live as it can get, posting a few updates while we’re on the trip, and wrapping it up once we’re back home. I’m going to try and do that again, but we’ll be pretty busy so you’ll have to see how that works out for me!

We booked this cruise over a year and a half ago when we were on the Magic, coincidentally a cruise with the same itinerary except that it came out of Galveston. Fran, being the brilliant schemer that she is, figured that we had to fly to Ft. Lauderdale for the band conference anyways, why not get in another cruise towards our platinum status while we're at it? Miami is right next door. So this cruise gets us back to town the day before we need to be there for our band commitment. We'll have a day to wind down, do laundry and get ready for the next activity. This is the plan.

Wed. Oct. 29 - 11AM flight to DFW, 4PM flight to FTL with an 11PM arrival
Thurs. Oct 30 - Extended Stay America, acclimate and purchase cruise beverages
Fri. Oct. 31 - Board Disney Wonder
Sat. Nov. 1 - At sea, FB Mixology class, Palo dinner
Sun. Nov 2 - Grand Cayman, Island Tour
Mon. Nov 3 - Cozumel, Chankanaab, Pirate night
Tues. Nov. 4 - At Sea, Palo Brunch
Wed. Nov. 5 - Get off the ship. Embassy Suites, laundry
Thurs. Nov. 6 - relax, evening band rehearsal
Fri. Nov. 7 - Morning meeting, early afternoon band rehearsal plus late afternoon band rehearsal, evening free
Sat. Nov 8 - Morning meeting, afternoon technical rehearsal with band, Fiesta Caliente Concert
Sun. Nov 9 - free time!
Mon. Nov 10 - afternoon flight home

We’re in single digits for this trip, so I thought that it was high time to start the TR and get the excitement going! Here are our plans in a little bit more detail.

Wed. Oct 29

The first night our plane arrives, we don’t even get to the airport until 11PM between the time that it takes to get our luggage and ground transportation it will be about 1AM before we get to the hotel. The good news is that our bodies will only think it’s 10PM. The bad news is we will be starving. If you followed our last cruise we’re doing better this time, we didn’t get to the hotel until something like 3:30AM, so we’re at least two hours better!

So if you followed our last cruise you know I resorted to Velveeta Shells and Cheese cups in the room in the microwave for our 4AM dinner. This time I can do one better. We are staying at an Extended Stay America so I can actually cook us Mac and Cheese on the stove and add kielbasa cooked in the skillet for our dinner. I think this is a real winner and hearty go to bed dinner. After a good Mac n Cheese dinner, I’m sure we’ll sleep well.

Thurs. Oct 30 – We have three goals for this day.

1) Get our instruments to one of the conference hosts so we don’t have to take them on the ship
2) Buy beverages for the cruise
3) Arrange for a taxi to take us to the port

Other than that everything is icing on the cake. Our hotel does not come with a breakfast, so I better plan for that in bringing stuff for toast, cereal or some other easy breakfast before we leave the room. Other than that, I think we’ll sleep, catch up online and generally just be lazy.

Fri. Oct 31 – Embarkation Day

Our taxi should be ready to take us to the port at around 10:00AM. We have a boarding time of 11:30AM so I want to make sure we are there in plenty of time. It’s about a 45 minute drive from our hotel to the port.

Once onboard, I plan on booking us into a chocolate tasting first off before we have lunch or anything. Then we’ll head to Parrot Cay for some lunch and then hopefully to our stateroom to relax.

Here’s Fran at our last embarkation lunch on the Wonder.

I may see what specials they are offering that day in the spa and book a massage. I’ve requested Triton’s for dinner that night, we’ll see if I get my requested dining rotation.

It’s also Halloween night so I may or may not have a costume lined up! You’ll have to wait for the pictures!

Sat. Nov. 1 – Day at Sea

This may all be subject to change based on the Navigator, but as I sit at home, I plan to put out the room service tag before going to bed the previous night. I’ll order coffee, a bagel and cream cheese, and a box of cereal to be delivered around 7:30-8:00AM. This will alleviate the need to get up and get an early breakfast, and we can just take our time. After all we’re on vacation. We’ll enjoy the Disney movies on the TV or just have coffee on the Verandah.

I want to have lunch at Triton’s so I don’t want to be full from a big breakfast. This may be a great time to drop off our FE gifts as well, or see if there is Trivia or Bingo happening. I’ve only had lunch at Triton’s once before and this was the menu the last time I ate there.

After lunch at Triton’s we have a private Mixology class booked for our Facebook Group at 2:00PM. I’m sure we’ll want to sleep a bit after the class, or not! It’s formal night and we have Palo reservations at 7PM. I intend to leave there in a food coma. Especially after one of these!

Sun. Nov. 2 – Grand Cayman

I intend to wake up every morning to room service delivered coffee and a snack, however this day we will also visit BBB or Triton’s for Breakfast, we need a hearty meal for this morning. We’ve booked an Island Tour for our excursion this day and that meets on shore at 12:15. We’ll need to be in the tendering stations by about 11:00AM to ensure we aren’t late. I’d also like to pick up some Rum Cakes across the street from the dock before our excursion. We visit places like Hell and the Turtle Farm before arriving back to the port around 2:45PM. All aboard is at 3:30 so we want to beat the crowds.

We’ll grab lunch at either Goofy’s, Pluto’s or Room Service and rest up for dinner. If my rotation request is filled, we’ll be at Animator’s Palate and it’s Casual night. Chances are we go right to bed after dinner.

Mon. Nov. 3 – Cozumel

For this day I took a cue from Corinna, on her last visit to Cozumel she caught a taxi to Chankanaab and made her own excursion. I’ve read numerous reports of folks who brought sandwiches from Goofy’s for lunch, and made an affordable day out of it. They have snorkeling, a little museum, snacks, aquariums, and tequila tasting, sounds just perfect! I’ve heard that a cab is only about $10 each way, and we can come back when we’ve had enough and just want to come back to the ship. All aboard is 5:45PM, but I suspect we will be on the ship well before then.

It’s Pirate night this night, and I do have a pirate outfit and so does Fran. We hope to be dining in Parrot Cay this night.

Tues. Nov. 4 – At Sea

The last day of the cruise. Bittersweet. But at least we have more fun to look forward to in the coming days. This morning begins with Palo Brunch! Where I plan to have some Strawberry Soup:

And definitely Chicken Parmesan

I’m sure I’ll sample the buffet

And have some dessert

I’m not exactly sure what else we will do on our last day of the cruise.

Wed. Nov. 5 – Disembark & Reacclimate

We’re going to take our sweet time getting off of the ship. We will linger at breakfast, and once we finally get off the ship we’ll pick up our rental car. Our next chapter in this trip takes us to the Embassy Suites Ft. Lauderdale, just a hop skip and a jump from the Extended Stay America where we started the trip. This is the day that many of our folks from the Band Conference will begin arriving. We plan to take the time to do laundry and decompress from the cruise. Dinner will be wherever we want.

Thurs. Nov. 6 – Conference begins

With our stay at the Embassy Suites we get a complimentary hot breakfast. We don’t have any obligations during the day so we may go out and sightsee, or maybe practice some of our music in the room! Most everyone will have arrived by the afternoon and there is a rehearsal from 7:00-9:00PM this evening.

Fri. Nov. 7 – Conference continues

In addition to the fun of playing a concert there is business that needs to be taken care of. After our complimentary breakfast, we need to be at a delegates meeting from 9-11AM. Since no one from our band other than ourselves seems to feel that it is important to attend these conferences, even though we are no longer on the board of the local band, we are still the delegates for the International Association.

There is a rehearsal from 11:30-1:30, lunch break until 3:30PM and there is another rehearsal until 7:00PM. At which point we are free to go for dinner. This will be a long day.

Sat. Nov. 8 – Conference continues

Yet one more meeting from 9AM-11AM to wrap up the business covered in the previous meeting. The first is presentations, the second is voting on said presentations, then we are done with the business for the weekend. Unless elected to the board, they still have one more meeting. We aren’t running, so we’re safe.

There is a technical rehearsal from 2:00-5:00PM. This is where they test out all the projectors, and other funny props that they plan to use during the concert. If they work we are done on time, if not, well that cuts into our dinner break.

I’m sure glad we have a car. There is a shuttle bus to take folks from the hotel to the Performing Arts Center. The materials say that shuttles start before the rehearsal and they resume after the concert. That tells me people are stranded at the concert hall from 2PM until after the concert (about 10PM). The schedule says that dinner is at 5PM so I guess that means they are serving some kind of dinner. Like I said, I’m glad we have a car, we can go get some fast food, or have something in the car ready to go along with out clothes so that we don’t have to wait in long lines for food that we may or may not like. I hate being at the mercy of other folks and banquet staff when we don’t know what our options are. Sometimes they are good, but sometimes they aren’t.

After the concert it’s back to the hotel and probably out for some food and drinks. But we’ll see, this is also going to be a long day.

Sun. Nov. 9 – Free Day!

When we book our airfare for these conferences, we never know the schedule until the event gets close, and by then all the good frequent flyer mile flights are gone. We booked this back in December before they had released the actual itinerary, and there was a possibility that there could have been meetings or something this day so we booked our flights home on Monday. That means that we have nothing scheduled for this day.

It turns out that as part of our conference package, they were able to score admission to a local classic car museum. Well fancy that! Guess what we will probably do on this free day!

A lot of our friends will have already left on their flights home or taken off to drive home, so by this time, it will probably be just the two of us again enjoying dinner out somewhere local, before returning to the hotel to crash.

Mon. Nov. 10 – Fly Home

By this time, I’m sure we will be missing our kitties and will be more than ready to come home. We’ll have a little time to kill once we check out of the hotel before we need to be at the airport. I hear that there is a great mall nearby with a Disney outlet and everything. If we haven’t already hit this one, I’m sure that’s where we will spend our free time before checking in at the airport and going home.

So that’s the rub! I hope you’ll join in and enjoy the ride!

I'm in! Great itinerary! Love the idea of clocking up cruises for Platinum. We've thought the same and plan a b2b rather than a weeks cruise to count as 2!

How nice that you get to see so many of your friends and that Fran has had a good summer health wise. I am delighted. Long may it last. Looking forward to reading more :-)

How I love DCL! :-)

I'm totally in!

Pfft, don't ever say it's been too long! April 2013?! Seriously!? It's been 3 years in December for me!:sad2::sad1::sad:

This sounds like a lot of fun and can't wait to hear about it. Less than 1 week now! :hyper:

Checking in. I can't believe that it as already been that long since your last cruise. The plans for this one sound great. I may just be a tiny bit jealous that you get to see the Wonder so soon. I have a bit of a soft spot for Hell on Grand Cayman. I hope you enjoy Chankanaab as much as we always do. We are actually arriving in California the same day. Are you flying into LAX? Would it not be fun if we bumped into each other?

Corinna

I'm in! Great itinerary! Love the idea of clocking up cruises for Platinum. We've thought the same and plan a b2b rather than a weeks cruise to count as 2!

How nice that you get to see so many of your friends and that Fran has had a good summer health wise. I am delighted. Long may it last. Looking forward to reading more :-)

How I love DCL! :-)

:welcome: We have a B2B booked out of San Diego, a two night to nowhere followed by a three night to Ensenada. I hope to be Platinum within another 2 years or so.

We have been meeting some of these people since as long as 1997, but have attended conferences in 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2013. Mostly health has kept us from doing a lot of them, but it's lots of fun being with other musicians. Some folks get crazy that I can't even post on the DIS! :rolleyes1

I'm here as well. It is nice to read a DCL trip report and one day I will have to try it.

:welcome:

It is a fun experience, and I'm sure you would enjoy a lot of the Disney details on the ships, but it would force you to relax a lot more than your normal comfort zone. Jenny isn't sure her family will like it as much as she and Josh did. You might get a little restless as well. I know how you like to keep moving and sometimes on the ship you just have to sit back and relax.

I'm totally in!

Pfft, don't ever say it's been too long! April 2013?! Seriously!? It's been 3 years in December for me!:sad2::sad1::sad:

This sounds like a lot of fun and can't wait to hear about it. Less than 1 week now! :hyper:

Oh my gosh, you NEED another cruise! It was your cruises that got me back into it! Now that Calvin is getting older, he would probably love the kids clubs and you would love the adult time!

I know one week and we'll be on our second flight, on the way to Ft. Lauderdale!

I'm in! Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

:welcome: I'm looking forward to seeing that as well!

Checking in. I can't believe that it as already been that long since your last cruise. The plans for this one sound great. I may just be a tiny bit jealous that you get to see the Wonder so soon. I have a bit of a soft spot for Hell on Grand Cayman. I hope you enjoy Chankanaab as much as we always do. We are actually arriving in California the same day. Are you flying into LAX? Would it not be fun if we bumped into each other?

Corinna

I'm going to be so glad to see the Wonder again. I liked the Magic, but I think I like the Wonder more. I really like Triton's and after seeing the Chandelier on the new Magic. Ick.

We are actually flying into John Wayne and not LAX. However, if the flight is delayed, they will have to divert us to LAX. We've had that happen before. The John Wayne airport closes at 11PM so late flights go to LAX and then are bused back to John Wayne. I hope that doesn't happen.

It would be fun to bump into each other, if we were planning to fly into LAX.

It is a fun experience, and I'm sure you would enjoy a lot of the Disney details on the ships, but it would force you to relax a lot more than your normal comfort zone. Jenny isn't sure her family will like it as much as she and Josh did. You might get a little restless as well. I know how you like to keep moving and sometimes on the ship you just have to sit back and relax.

I have read about all four Disney Cruise Line Ships about there different characters and details. I have looked at DCL the last couple of months and see what ships would be good to go on one day if I go on a DCL. I haven't done a cruise in over 20 years since I was a kid and maybe one day doing a DCL would be the perfect one to do. Just as you said that I don't sit back and relax a lot and I have to keep moving when I am on vacation. Maybe this will be a good thing for me to try to relax more on a vacation. But I would just go photo crazy around the ship just like PiO.

Caught up and this trip sounds like a fabulous one! But then again, just like WDW, every trip is different and wonderful in their own right. I like Fran's idea of 'tacking' on a cruise to your band trip. Perfect!

Oh that Palo brunch! :hyper: popcorn::

I'm in, I'm sooooo in!!

I'm really glad to hear that both of you are doing well, and that Fran's health has improved so much. You're doing the right thing by enjoying it with so many wonderful things to do! You both look terrific in your pictures!

Can't wait to read all about your cruise! :thumbsup2

I'm tagging along for the ride.

It's all your fault I'm now hooked on the chocolate martini and strawberry soup.

OK, so those wanting to make the first page are done so now I can respond freely!

I have read about all four Disney Cruise Line Ships about there different characters and details. I have looked at DCL the last couple of months and see what ships would be good to go on one day if I go on a DCL. I haven't done a cruise in over 20 years since I was a kid and maybe one day doing a DCL would be the perfect one to do. Just as you said that I don't sit back and relax a lot and I have to keep moving when I am on vacation. Maybe this will be a good thing for me to try to relax more on a vacation. But I would just go photo crazy around the ship just like PiO.

Like you agree, I'm not sure how much of a cruise person you would be, but I'm thinking that at least if you did a Disney Cruise it would be better than Carnival or another line. Carnival is a lot about drinking and since you're not into that, at least Disney has trivia and other things that would interest you if you're not into drinking, which a lot of the cruise also promotes.

Enjoy your cruise!

:welcome: Thanks!

I'm here I'm here! I read your update yesterday and forgot to jump over here.

Caught up and this trip sounds like a fabulous one! But then again, just like WDW, every trip is different and wonderful in their own right. I like Fran's idea of 'tacking' on a cruise to your band trip. Perfect!

Oh that Palo brunch! :hyper: popcorn::

She's always thinking! :thumbsup2 I can't wait for Palo Brunch!

Woo Hoo - I can't wait to read all about it!!! :thumbsup2

:welcome: I know you have been on your fair share, but I haven't seen any TRs. :rolleyes1

I'm in, I'm sooooo in!!

I'm really glad to hear that both of you are doing well, and that Fran's health has improved so much. You're doing the right thing by enjoying it with so many wonderful things to do! You both look terrific in your pictures!

Can't wait to read all about your cruise! :thumbsup2

:welcome: Bonnie! I'm so glad to see you back on the boards! I know you popped in a little bit ago, but glad to see you hanging around!

I'm tagging along for the ride.

It's all your fault I'm now hooked on the chocolate martini and strawberry soup.

:welcome: :rotfl2: :lmao: I take no responsibility! You liked them all on your own!

Excuse me if I run out of welcomes. Now that we are past page one, I'm going to have a hard time keeping track of who is new and who is not. If I don't give you a welcome, don't be offended!

Btw you said they have rum cake at Grand Cayman yum! I just adore that. I hauled myself into Nassau in severe pain to grab a tin of rum cake but the vendor was closed...
Oh the disappointment!

It's nice you have Palo dinner and Brunch. When we have all scored our platinum I read some place you get a Palo dinning free per cruise :-)

I hope Parrot's Cay is not doing the 'Pirates menu' on Pirate night. Oh it's not good Alison. As much as we adore the dressing up we choose Palo for that night now...

I can't believe I missed the start (and Page 1) but I'm here now!

Jill in CO

Btw you said they have rum cake at Grand Cayman yum! I just adore that. I hauled myself into Nassau in severe pain to grab a tin of rum cake but the vendor was closed...
Oh the disappointment!

It's nice you have Palo dinner and Brunch. When we have all scored our platinum I read some place you get a Palo dinning free per cruise :-)

I hope Parrot's Cay is not doing the 'Pirates menu' on Pirate night. Oh it's not good Alison. As much as we adore the dressing up we choose Palo for that night now...

Last time we were in Grand Cayman there was a run can stand right across from the port. We got a bunch of rum cakes and they were so good! I hope the story is still there!

Yes one complimentary dinner at Palo for Platinum. We're working our way there.

I've always skipped the pirates menu on the ships precisely because it didn't appeal to me. But I've also heard that they might be changing it to Star Wars nights. I figured I had to try Pirates night at least once. And if I don't like anything on the menu, I can always visit the buffering Pam raves about after the fireworks.

I can't believe I missed the start (and Page 1) but I'm here now!

Jill in CO

:welcome: Usually you're right on top of things, but at least you made it here!

Last time we were in Grand Cayman there was a run can stand right across from the port. We got a bunch of rum cakes and they were so good! I hope the story is still there!

Yes one complimentary dinner at Palo for Platinum. We're working our way there.

I've always skipped the pirates menu on the ships precisely because it didn't appeal to me. But I've also heard that they might be changing it to Star Wars nights. I figured I had to try Pirates night at least once. And if I don't like anything on the menu, I can always visit the buffering Pam raves about after the fireworks.

:welcome: Usually you're right on top of things, but at least you made it here!

I know, I'm such a slacker!

Jill in CO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter