• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shawna & Edward's January 4, 2011 Escape Wedding

Disney-Chick

A Canadian who loves Disney eh!
Hi everyone;

I have been viewing everyone's threads and always wanted to do one. I thought that maybe since we were only 3 months away there was no sense. But as you can see decided I would do it anyways. Here is a bit about myself and DF.

Shawna--> I am 32 (33 in Dec) who works as an Administrative Assistant at a children's hospital.
Edward--> He is 41 (42 in Nov) who works in IT :surfweb: at the same hospital different building.
Brianna--> She is 13 who is in grade 8 :teacher:

Edward and I met in February 2006 at the hospital that we work at. At the time I was living with my parents and Edward had just finished building a house. After dating for a couple of months we discussed Brianna & I moving in with him sometime before school starting. We knew we wanted to be together and didn't want Brianna starting school and then having to switch throughout the year, so in August we moved in. By this time my older sister and her family were planning a trip to Disney for the up coming December and Edward thought it would be a great time for us to go as well. So we booked the trip for Dec. 16-23/06 and flew down. I had been to Disney when I was 9 years old and just remember a little about the trip and this was Edward's first trip along with Brianna of course. After flying back home we knew we wanted to go back, but just didn't know when we would. After some discussion about trying to drive the next time to save money as we spent $2500 for the 3 of us to fly. We planned a trip for Dec. 2007. We left Dec. 10th and took 3 days to drive down and stayed for 14 days.

Our next trip was the following Dec. 2008 and left the day after my birthday, Dec. 5th. We were gone just over 3 weeks. We decided to stop in New York for a day and then stop in Washington. This year Edward's family was coming with us (Mom, Dad, Brother and sister-in-law). This was also the year that Edward proposed to me at Chef Mickey's.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The only people that knew were his parents and mine. Of course I said yes and we knew right away that we wanted to get married at Disney. Since Edward loves to save and pay for everything before going we knew that we had to wait to save money along with some others that were going to join us.

So we decided on January 4th, 2011 at SBP at 2:30pm and on our 2009 trip went to view the location. We fell in love as soon as we seen the boardwalk. It was amazing. Course the day we went was in the high 80's.

I was on the countdown until we could contact Disney to book the day. I was so nervous that we wouldn't get the date/time that we wanted, but all worked out. We dealt with Kristi Davis as first who sent us the contract to review and sign. After signing we were placed with Tanis Armstrong for our wedding coordinator.

Edward and I knew that we didn't want to spend a huge amount on the wedding as we don't want to go into debt for a wedding. We would rather save the money to go back to Disney more. So we only upgraded the pictures, and I bought the 3 girls the wands. Since I will be having the calla lillies I had the wands upgraded with 3 calla lillies per wand @ $60 (my older sister, my younger sister and my daughter). We also have Edward's brother standing as the best man. We also bought the Mickey's for girls flowers.

Edward has always wanted to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge so we will be checking into POP on Dec. 27th (we drive down on Dec. 25th) and then to AKL on Jan. 2 until the 8th when we leave. My daughter decided she would rather fly with the rest of my family so they will be arriving on the 29th of Dec. Edward's family as they are drivers also will be leaving the same day as us. We will be doing it in 2 days as we have been the last couple of years so we usually do a 19 hour day the first day. Thanks to Edward for being able to do this all himself :worship: as I look out the window and nap.

In January I found the dress of my dreams. I didn't plan on buying a dress but once I tried it on I knew it was the one for me. Im not a huge fan of the long tails (or trains that im sure everyone calls them).

I wasn't really sure what shoes I wanted. I am already tall enough at 5'10 and I really don't like heels. Edward is about 6'5 so heels wouldn't be an issue to push me over being taller than him. But he does wear brogue shoes all the time. Here is a picture

Here is a picture of mine that I found.

I seen another pair that I had bought but ended up returning once I found these. I made a joke one night saying how funny it would be if we had the same shoes. Edward agreed and so I went and bought them. They do look good with the dress but you can only see them of course when you lift the dress up.

Well this is it for me for one night. Hope whoever reads this enjoys.

Hi and welcome. Great story. I love the pic of your DF on his knee and Pluto in the background. Too cute. :lovestruc Your wedding dress is really pretty. I love all that detail and the lace up back. I think its cute that you're both wearing the same shoes. It'll make a great photo op. I'm looking forward to reading more. popcorn::

Hi and welcome. Great story. I love the pic of your DF on his knee and Pluto in the background. Too cute. :lovestruc Your wedding dress is really pretty. I love all that detail and the lace up back. I think its cute that you're both wearing the same shoes. It'll make a great photo op. I'm looking forward to reading more. popcorn::

Thanks for taking the time to read. I was a bit nervous as when I tell stories im all over the place :laughing:

I had mixed opinions about wearing the same shoes, but at the end of the day it's our wedding and this is what we wanted. I think it will look great.

I will have more up shortly.
Cheers

I say it's your wedding. It's about what you both want, what fits your personalities, and about making memories that you can both look back on and enjoy. :thumbsup2

I love that your shoes match! I think it's very cute.

Surprisingly, my DF is very much into the whole matchy match thing :)

I love that your shoes match! I think it's very cute.

Surprisingly, my DF is very much into the whole matchy match thing :)

I think having the same shoes was a good idea. I know some think it's corny but not I :yay: Im excited.

It seems that when I read everyone's PJ they have all these things that need to be done. Yet when I sat down to write I thought "what do I write". Really everything is done. I didn't upgrade much as I said previously as we only want a small wedding and no debt. I do still have to pick my hair style. Here are some that I was looking at.

I find it very difficult to pick a hair style. So I think I will wait until the last minute.

I do have to pick up the girls some Jewelery for the wedding. I have a friend that will be going down the beginning of Dec and asked if she could pick them up. Here is a pic of the necklace

Our wedding will be taking place at 2:30 so we decided to have a reception at my parent's place that they will be renting and order catering. This will allow the ones who are not within the wedding to join us after. I found that having it there would give us more opportunity to chat with everyone equally and not have to scream down a table. In a month or so we will decide where to order the catering.

We also have the bridesmaid dresses. They are Aqua and strapless. Once I get a picture I will post. We are in the process now of trying to find them shoes.

Well I am off for the night. Work tomorrow. :scared1:

I really like the first hair style. Also that necklace is really cute. I think you're right about a small wedding and no debt. Good for you for sticking to it. At first that's what I wanted and than I got swept away in it all. Now I'm trying to reign myself in :laughing:

I really like the first hair style. Also that necklace is really cute. I think you're right about a small wedding and no debt. Good for you for sticking to it. At first that's what I wanted and than I got swept away in it all. Now I'm trying to reign myself in :laughing:

My first thought was to go with the first one. But I will probably wait as long as possible.

I do love the necklace and will be ordering them and having them shipped to POP. My friend will be going the beginning and Dec. and will bring them back so I can give to the girls on Christmas day.

It`s hard not to get carried away with the wedding. But DF is great with money and will explain that we don`t really need it. LIke I said I always come up with the ideas and DF will yay it or nay it. lol

I have now booked my appointment to have my dress altered on November 4 both mother and myself will go and see what needs to be taken in.

I also am surprising my DF with a trip to Kennedy Space Centre as he has always wanted to go. I have purchased tickets for Jan. 3 the day before the wedding with all the guys. While the guys are doing this the girls will be off having lunch and going to the spa.

I still haven`t decided when I should tell him. Anyone have any good ideas.

Also, before my family arrives, DF, BIL, & FIL will be doing the Richard Petty driving on 29th of Dec. So I will be there taping that. Im excited to see that. :cool1:

I just feel now that there isn`t much for me to do besides do the count down. So I guess that is all I can do for now.

I think that sounds like such a fun idea for the guys to do Kennedy Space Center while the girls lunch and spa. How many days before the wedding are you guys arriving? Maybe what you could do is get him a card and tell him it's an early wedding present from you? Give it to him the day you arrive. Just an idea. :goodvibes

I think that sounds like such a fun idea for the guys to do Kennedy Space Center while the girls lunch and spa. How many days before the wedding are you guys arriving? Maybe what you could do is get him a card and tell him it's an early wedding present from you? Give it to him the day you arrive. Just an idea. :goodvibes

Edward mentioned to me last night about trying to make the shuttle in Feb. He has been wanting to go and he does so much for me, this is the least I can do. We arrive on Dec. 27th, so a week before the wedding. The family arrives on the 29th. I think giving it to him the day before is a great ides. :idea: I hate keeping secrets, im just bursting inside to tell him. And it's funny, we always joke about how I can't keep anything in and here I am holding this in :cool1: Thanks a bunch for your help.

Nice report so far! And what a GREAT FRIEND to pick up those necklaces for you. You must be so lucky to have such a GREAT FRIEND!:rotfl2:

Ha ha ha ha.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Nice pictures!

Tinkershelly (aka Michele:thumbsup2)

Nice report so far! And what a GREAT FRIEND to pick up those necklaces for you. You must be so lucky to have such a GREAT FRIEND!:rotfl2:

Ha ha ha ha.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Nice pictures!

Tinkershelly (aka Michele:thumbsup2)

I am super lucky to have a great friend to pick those up fo rme. :banana: And a great friend to shout out the countdown to in the halls!!! :woohoo:

As I mentioned before I really don't have much to write about as we are not doing any huge upgrades. But I did decide to have Wedding By Crystal take care of our hair and makeup. I really haven't seen to many people on the boards discuss her so im hoping she is good. I also have Rev. Jack Day booked and our vows are sent back. We still have to order the catering which we will do sometime in November. I also have my wedding alterations booked for Nov. 4th.

We also need to purchase some shoes for the 3 girls in the wedding so hopefully this month we can find something. The ones we had ordered did not fit them all that well. :sad1: Shoes seem to be the hardest thing to find. I haven't posted pics of the girls dresses but I will once I get a pictures of them. They are a aqua color. I had wanted to go with Brown but they were quite expensive and we found the aqua ones for way cheaper, and they are nice.

The other thing that is done is flights. As Edward and I drive, my daughter wanted to fly with my family. The travel agency went through US Airlines and they are charging $25 for 1 bag, $35 for 2 and $100 for 3 or more. That is crazy. How are you going to charge people for bags. I can see if they are bringing more than 1 per person. We will be taking Brianna's down with us in the car anyways, but my older sister has 4 in her family, im sure they need more than just one bag. That price can add up. :scared1:

Today is 3 months until the wedding. I can't believe how quickly it is approaching! :eek:

Well off to work I go since that is what im suppose to be doing. :surfweb:

You must be so excited. :cheer2: 3 months! It sounds like you have the basic things covered which is good. Don't want to leave it to the last minute and get stressed. I hear you about shoes being difficult to find. I'm having that trouble just for my own shoes I can't imagine for three. :laughing: Looking forward to seeing pics of the girls dresses. It sounds like they're a really pretty color.

You must be so excited. :cheer2: 3 months! It sounds like you have the basic things covered which is good. Don't want to leave it to the last minute and get stressed. I hear you about shoes being difficult to find. I'm having that trouble just for my own shoes I can't imagine for three. :laughing: Looking forward to seeing pics of the girls dresses. It sounds like they're a really pretty color.

I am excited....:cheer2: I don't want to rush it but I just need to go on vacation. I have been saving all my vacation for this trip and the one in Feb. I think most is covered. I just feel like I should be doing something. I am very stress free. Every PJ that I seem to read they are all stressing out.

Yes shoes are so hard. And ones that will fit well. I don't need all the girls with the same shoes as long as they are the same color.

I told my daughter I need her to put the dress on so I can take pictures to post. Just need to charge the batteries.

Just some info on what I have been doing since it has been awhile since I wrote on here.

We are now in the process of booking a hockey game while down there, I have a friend who knows someone within the Tampa Bay Lightening. We will watch on Dec. 30 Tampa vs Montreal. So that is underway.

My DF bought the tickets for Richard Petty's Racing for the 29th for himself, father and brother. I will be there taping it.

On a note that really isn't much about the wedding. Just to let you know how it led up to yesterday's dental work I will give you the background.

When I 20 I had to have my front tooth removed from an accident that happened when I was 10 :sad2:. They put in a bridge which attaches to the teeth next to the missing one. All was fine, my dentist said that it should last another 5-10 years. :yay:

Then April comes and soccer tryouts are starting for my daughter. As I am down tying my shoe she decides to put hers on, her knee comes up and smacks me under my chin slamming my top and bottom teeth together :scared1:. The first thing I did was ensure my teeth were still attached. Once that was confirmed I continued on with taking her to tryouts.

Couple of weeks later I was out with some of my girls having dinner. I started getting this really bad tooth ache, but not the ones attached to my bridge but next to it. I left around 11:30pm before heading home I went to Shopper's Drug Mart to get Anbesol. It was the weekend so I had to wait until the following week to get into the dentist.

After the dentist took x-rays they told me that one of the teeth that is holding my bridge is snapped in half and it will have to come out as it is affecting all my other teeth. :eek: They sent me for deep cleaning to see how the other teeth were doing (and this also was painful and expensive). After that they decided that 3 teeth needed to be pulled and fast as it is ruining my other teeth. After all the pre-work I had done before the final verdict were now into June. Then my dentist told me that it would cost $14,000 for all 4 teeth and having them install posts rather than a bridge. Going the bridge way again is cheaper ($7,000) but we could end up with the same senerio should something go wrong. They thought they could also go through my dental plan as it was an accident. So my DF and I decided that if it were to be covered we would go with the posts. It would take longer but would be most beneficial.

Then in July my tooth decided to go abscessed, I went to the dentist and started taking penicillin which didn't work fast enough and was huge and ended up breaking. So off to the hospital I went and long story short they took care of it and it hurt like hell!!!! :mad:

So finally the letter gets sent to cover my teeth and after waiting some more weeks found out it wasn't sent in correctly and had to be resent. :headache: Finally came back and they will cover mostly all of it. The 3rd tooth that is not part of the accident we will have to cover some. That tooth lost bone from me smoking for so long. (I quit back March 26/10 :cheer2:)

I was so scared if we had to pay for any of this dental work for 2 reasons, we already booked the wedding and then I was afraid how the teeth were going to look as I have partials in or Dentures for my 4 front teeth. So last night at 7pm I went for my appt. They had given me Ativan for me to start taking on Monday to calm me down. I was so nervous. I slept all day yesterday, the got up had some good supper and went for my appt.

So I was laying in the chair and my dentist started off with "we booked our trip to Disney for Feb" Now that made me smile. We had discussed this at some appt's so I knew he was looking. And they will be there the same time as us in Feb. during the school closure for the Canada Games. But my biggest concern is for the wedding. I want to make sure that my teeth are looking like real teeth. I won't go into detail but it took about 45 minutes to get them all out and about 15 minutes just for the broken piece. :eek: Now I have my denture in, but my speech is slurred since it is like a retainer. But they do look great.

Now that it is all over, I went and put my prescription in for Tylenol 3's came home and my mouth was starting to throb so I took some 3's, ibeprophine and half gravel and relaxed on the couch and then off to bed.

Now I have to wait 6-9 months for my mouth to heal and then they will put the posts in, which im sure I will need to more ativan to calm me down. It's a long process. I just wish I could eat, im so hungry and haven't ate since yesterday at supper time. Of course I can only have soft mushy stuff. So my DF decided to stay home with me and I will have him make me scrabble eggs. But im scared to eat, and im scared to brush my teeth. :sad2: But I am off to try at least, but have to be careful. Eventually I will have to remove the denture when going to sleep at night so that it doesn't grow bacteria. Sounds gross I know. But I can't remove it until I go back to the dentist today as it will have to heal a bit before I can take it out.

Ok well that is all my news for now. Not much about the wedding, just that we are looking into catering now.

If you read all this, thank you. :worship:
Shawna

Oh man....poor you!

I don't have health insurance right now (subbing with the HRSB = no coverage!) so I won't even go in for a cleaning because I know it'll lead to more...at least yours was mostly covered!

Hoping everything goes smoothly from here on in!

I know what it is like not having health insurance.

My BIL is a vice-principal at a school in Sackville. I know what he went through trying to get in with the HRSB. It is hard and takes awhile. But im sure it will all work out.

The dentist went well today. He took out the denture, which I was really nervous about but overall it went well. He had me remove it and put it back in to ensure that I would be able to do this. I was a bit nervous but it was fine.

I will be happy when this is all done, but again I still have at least 9 months to go.

So it looks like we will be booking the hockey game for Dec. 30th in a luxury suite. There will be 18 of us.

This looks like it is going to be one busy vacation/wedding as we may not be at the parks as much as we thought. Or even at the AKL as much as we thought. Paying that much money we wanted to utilize the hotel as much as possible.

I also had my niece put on with us so that she can enjoy the EMH with my daughter as they are only 2 years apart.

Im so glad were going back in Feb. That will be a great vacation for the 3 of us to enjoy. :banana:

We received an email from CAA that our trip for Dec is due this coming Monday. So we have to take care of that and then our other trip will be due on Dec. 29th. Now just waiting for all the wedding budget to come through so we know for sure what we owe them.

Well off to watch Survivor! :happytv:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter