SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

We just stayed at Poly a month ago and I must tell you that we were seated on the monorail ready to go with no one waiting to board at 8:25 and we did not make it to MK til 9:03!!!! Missed the train show at 8:45 and the whole point of staying at Poly was the monorail (2 toddler boys, double stroller, without husband for this trip).
Also the bus from Poly to AK also stopped at Blizzard Beach and CR on the way back, 40 min on bus!! We had taken the bus from TTC that am which was fine.

No it wasnt a pack and play was a crib that rolled on wheels. You could lock the wheels in place and was a standard crib, one side of the railing could be lowered other stayed up. I didn't have any problems with it. And was easy to wipe down bars. So unless anyone has been more recently to say if they have changed to pack n plays but they would be harder to clean then a crib. I don't know what room you will be in but I don't think you would have the space to keep theirs in a corner and put your own up. We were in a double queen room and the crib was put between the table and the sofa in the room. Unless you want to block the pathway and have to climb over the bed. Also I think they would notice you bringing it in and house keeping would definitely see it when they tidy the room if you bring your own.

At other resorts it has been a pack n play. Other hotels sometimes have those cribs on wheels. Cribs would be easier to disinfect. I would bring my own soft sheets!! I usually hang towels around the edges. Might even bring a bumper pad if really concerned. The biggest issue for us has been the size. We need the pack n play bc it's bigger than the crib but for a 17 m either should be fine. I would call ahead early as possible to make sure u get a good one or one at all since we have had hotels run out! We need 2.
I have also rolled towels or pillows and tucked under the fitted sheet on one side of the queen bed and just let him sleep with me. Pack n plays make that plastic scratchy noise :P. when we just made our SOG res yesterday they made it sound like it would be a pack n play. Have u ever used the aerobed for kids? Inflatable crib sized mattress with edges (amazon $60). We have 2 but never used them at Disney, might this time!

From a post on the SOG facebook page today:

You are now able to view our current bus schedule on our website. Go to the "Resort Amenities" tab, click on the "Transportation" link then click the link that states "view current bus schedule here".

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/busschedule.htm

(there is a very small download pdf link above the schedule)

MAGGIED, one of your ticker dates looks remarkably like mine. Haven't posted here in ages.

Yes it does.... you must arrive on Saturday... we come in Sunday. Our son won't be back from college until late Friday night... we needed to give him a day to recoup and me a day to do all the laundry I am sure he will be bringing with him just in time to repack it!!!
:confused3

Hi everyone! Hoping you can help me with something. I don't post on this thread (SOG) much but I have followed along for years. A little background first... I have probably stayed at SOG between 8 and 10 times. Sometimes we stay onsite at a "Disney" hotel. Most recently we stayed at WL in December where my husband and I both agreed that while it was beautiful we enjoyed SOG more. This trip will be Me, my two youngest DS's and my parents. My Dad just retired from the military and we usually stay at SOG if they are joining us.

Anyway, one section the SOG thread intro posts are missing is about the different sections/rooms and why you might stay there. With all of that said here is my question. Which is your favorite section/room and why?? We are booked for March and I need to put in a request but can't decide where. Both sections have pro's and con's and I guess I am just interested to see if I am missing/forgetting anything.

Also, has anyone ever stayed in any of the suites?? I have searched for reviews and photos but I have not found any except what is on the SOG website. :confused:

I wish they'd be a little more specific with their time frames, considering it's already late summer. Their FB pictures make it look like they still have a long way to go.

I know a lot of people laugh and think I'm being petty because "no one goes to WDW for a pool", but for us that really is a big part of the reason we go. We live in the Pacific Northwest and very rarely get the opportunity to swim. We always take a very long (4-5hr) swim break every afternoon. A great pool is a big deal to us, and while Shades is by far the least expensive option on property, I'm willing to pay $35 more a night and stay at the Coronado Springs with their amazing pool, better food options, and Magical Express service plus free parking, if the new pool at SoG isn't going to be done before our mid-October reservation.

Probably not something u r "supposed" to do, but across the street the Polynesian has the best pool ever! We were just there in July and it wasn't crowded and the beach and the view can't be beat.

We are staying at SOG for the first time the week after thanksgiving. They have free breakfast and dinner that week and I was wondering what to expect. Also, any room requests we should make? And I keep seeing emails and faxes about tickets? I also saw something about no microwaves in the room? We usually bring our own coffee pot (don't laugh) but all 6 drink coffee :). Any other tips appreciated!

Probably not something u r "supposed" to do, but across the street the Polynesian has the best pool ever! We were just there in July and it wasn't crowded and the beach and the view can't be beat.

No, you're not. In fact, only guests at the poly are supposed to use the poly pool. They do hand out wrist bands a lot of the time and check for who is supposed to be there. Just be ethical and only use the pool you're supposed to, geez. SOG is not a Disney resort so you are not even remotely allowed to use another resort's pool. SOG pools are fine.

We are staying at SOG for the first time the week after thanksgiving. They have free breakfast and dinner that week and I was wondering what to expect. Also, any room requests we should make? And I keep seeing emails and faxes about tickets? I also saw something about no microwaves in the room? We usually bring our own coffee pot (don't laugh) but all 6 drink coffee :). Any other tips appreciated!

From the very first page on this thread: Electrical Items. Personal electrical items, such as cooking appliances and coffee pots, are not allowed in the rooms.

My tip is to go to the first page on this thread and read all the info about SOG, including the rules.

Hi everyone! Hoping you can help me with something. I don't post on this thread (SOG) much but I have followed along for years. A little background first... I have probably stayed at SOG between 8 and 10 times. Sometimes we stay onsite at a "Disney" hotel. Most recently we stayed at WL in December where my husband and I both agreed that while it was beautiful we enjoyed SOG more. This trip will be Me, my two youngest DS's and my parents. My Dad just retired from the military and we usually stay at SOG if they are joining us.

Anyway, one section the SOG thread intro posts are missing is about the different sections/rooms and why you might stay there. With all of that said here is my question. Which is your favorite section/room and why?? We are booked for March and I need to put in a request but can't decide where. Both sections have pro's and con's and I guess I am just interested to see if I am missing/forgetting anything.

Also, has anyone ever stayed in any of the suites?? I have searched for reviews and photos but I have not found any except what is on the SOG website. :confused:

I have never stayed in the suites. If we have a lot of people, we usually just get neighboring or connecting rooms. I like to "get away" from our travel companions in the evenings and have some privacy. Love my family, but too much togetherness can cause issues. :rolleyes1

As for my room recommendations, we like the 2101 area. These rooms are on the same level as the lobby in the "new" section. They are right across that walkway so they are really close to the lobby, and around the corner from the parking garage and elevators. And because they are so close to the elevators, it is an easy trip up to the laundryroom for not only laundry, but access to the microwaves.

Hope this helps. Have a great time!!

No, you're not. In fact, only guests at the poly are supposed to use the poly pool. They do hand out wrist bands a lot of the time and check for who is supposed to be there. Just be ethical and only use the pool you're supposed to, geez. SOG is not a Disney resort so you are not even remotely allowed to use another resort's pool. SOG pools are fine.

Well slap our wrists.... GEEESSST!!!!! I have gone to other pools if I happen to be at that resort... Nobody said anything to me. :rolleyes1

Well slap our wrists.... GEEESSST!!!!! I have gone to other pools if I happen to be at that resort... Nobody said anything to me. :rolleyes1

It is against Disney's rules to pool hop. The pool is a benefit only for guests staying at each resort. You didn't get caught, but you aren't supposed to do it.

From the very first page on this thread: Electrical Items. Personal electrical items, such as cooking appliances and coffee pots, are not allowed in the rooms.

My tip is to go to the first page on this thread and read all the info about SOG, including the rules.

Thank you for your comment but I did read the first page and was wondering if there are microwaves or coffee pots in the rooms already since you are not allowed to bring them. Most hotels these days have them. I have read a great deal about SOG, but since I have two toddler boys i may have been distracted and missed something.

I am looking for kind and helpful comments in addition to all that is on the first page especially from people that have traveled with small children that have special needs...like needed to warm something in a microwave etc... What rooms or areas are most requested. Where to get coffee if there are no coffee pots, especially if you have 3 kids in tow and don't leave them in the room by themselves.

We go to Disney every year and I have read many books and boards to get the most info but there just isn't much on SOG.

It is against Disney's rules to pool hop. The pool is a benefit only for guests staying at each resort. You didn't get caught, but you aren't supposed to do it.

I only mentioned it because I thought I had read somewhere that you could since SOG was having such a long time getting theirs finished, but I have read so much about SOG in prep for our trip that I could be wrong or I
May have missed that it was a sarcastic comment! We don't spend much time at any pool since we go in Dec and mine are so young. Only enjoyed the POLY pool last month on a quick trip when we stayed there.

Any I have stayed at Disney every year most of my life and used the pools at least a couple of times and have never been asked or even seen a wristband.

I only mentioned it because I thought I had read somewhere that you could since SOG was having such a long time getting theirs finished, but I have read so much about SOG in prep for our trip that I could be wrong or I
May have missed that it was a sarcastic comment! We don't spend much time at any pool since we go in Dec and mine are so young. Only enjoyed the POLY pool last month on a quick trip when we stayed there.

There are two pools at SOG. One will be open while the other is being renovated/built. No need to go anywhere else for a pool.;)

The Magnolia pool is being renovated; supposed to be done early fall
( whatever that means). Nothing wrong with the Mickey pool in the mean time. Really no need to go to another hotel just to use the pool . We were at SOG in May and there might have been 4 whole families at the pool on any given afternoon.

Any I have stayed at Disney every year most of my life and used the pools at least a couple of times and have never been asked or even seen a wristband.

That doesn't mean it's right. Check the rules for Disney Resorts. Once again, SOG is NOT a Disney resort so that doesn't even apply even if it was allowed. There are threads that discuss this right on the resort forum. Just do a search.

We've stayed at SOG 4 times and have never had an issue with the pools being crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter