• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

We just returned on Friday from our first stay ever at SOG. I must say we will NEVER stay any place else again! We were beyond impressed!!!! Simply beautiful and VERY clean!
Also, one thing we would change is we were asked if we wanted the dining plan added for the hotel upon check in and after reading the reviews on here we said no. BIG mistake. We loved the buffet and all the offerings we will defintely save MAJOR money by eating there more on our next trip!!!
I asked upon check in for a room close to the buses and a nice view. He told me he could give me close but the view was a construction view...kinda bummed but I took it and he gave us a GREAT discount on each nights stay as well!!!

So if it's your first stay you will not be disappointed!! We also met several families and met with some to have lunch one day!! :thumbsup2

We just returned on Friday from our first stay ever at SOG. I must say we will NEVER stay any place else again! We were beyond impressed!!!! Simply beautiful and VERY clean!
Also, one thing we would change is we were asked if we wanted the dining plan added for the hotel upon check in and after reading the reviews on here we said no. BIG mistake. We loved the buffet and all the offerings we will defintely save MAJOR money by eating there more on our next trip!!!
I asked upon check in for a room close to the buses and a nice view. He told me he could give me close but the view was a construction view...kinda bummed but I took it and he gave us a GREAT discount on each nights stay as well!!!

So if it's your first stay you will not be disappointed!! We also met several families and met with some to have lunch one day!! :thumbsup2
This is great to hear. We are having our first SOG stay in December and I'm looking forward to it/have been a little nervous about it, but this made me feel better!

So glad you enjoyed it KyWildcatGirl! I really is such a great bonus for us all to have SOG. No, it's not the same as being in an actual "disney" resort hotel, but what it lacks it makes up for in so many other ways.

Could you post more about the foods at the buffets? Most of us have had terrible experiences with it (other than breakfast) so I'm curious to know if there have been significant improvements.

This is great to hear. We are having our first SOG stay in December and I'm looking forward to it/have been a little nervous about it, but this made me feel better!

Not to worry...We haven't stayed at a Disney hotel again since we first stayed at SOG. We will ALWAYS be staying at SOG. It is amazing! Clean, quiet, convienent but with a feel of seclusion because of the golf courses. A bit apart from all the madness.

As to it not being "Disney enough" - We don't need to be saturated in Disney 24/7. Overstimulating the kids nonstop wherever we go for ten days is not my idea of a vacation. Even if you have no little munchkins in your group, at the POP, Art of Animation and other kid themed resorts, you are constantly bombarded by other family's overstimulated munchkins. SOG seems to calm them a little. "a little" It certainly calms me. ;) The only Disney Resort that came close was POFQ. SOG has MUCH larger rooms and costs less. What's not to love?

And did you know? SOG has the only Micky head shaped pool on the property.

So go...and enjoy!

Not to worry...We haven't stayed at a Disney hotel again since we first stayed at SOG. We will ALWAYS be staying at SOG. It is amazing! Clean, quiet, convienent but with a feel of seclusion because of the golf courses. A bit apart from all the madness.

As to it not being "Disney enough" - We don't need to be saturated in Disney 24/7. Overstimulating the kids nonstop wherever we go for ten days is not my idea of a vacation. Even if you have no little munchkins in your group, at the POP, Art of Animation and other kid themed resorts, you are constantly bombarded by other family's overstimulated munchkins. SOG seems to calm them a little. "a little" It certainly calms me. ;) The only Disney Resort that came close was POFQ. SOG has MUCH larger rooms and costs less. What's not to love?

So go...and enjoy!

I agree with everything you said. :thumbsup2

We are looking forward to our stay in December. We have not stayed at SOG for several years. Thanks so much for letting us know about the food. We have dinner and breakfast included with our stay in December (we took advantage of the "Deck the Palms" special) so I was excited to hear that the dinners have gotten better. I would also hear about some of the food that was offered especially the dinners. So glad you enjoyed your stay.

These posts have caused a long-time feud between DD and me to reignite. She swears by her value resorts and cannot understand why I won't even give them a try. And she has stayed at Shades before. I can't understand why she would want to stay at a VR when Shades is actually cheaper, nicer, quieter, bigger, etc. She should never even try to out Shades me. :lmao: The only thing she is right about is the food and the opprotunity to get the meal deal. But even that won't sway me because I find eating at sit-downs a waste of time. I would rather be in the park doing rides, seeing shows or just taking it all in than sitting in a restaurant for two hours. :confused3

But, to each their own. Because she chooses to stay elsewhere, that's one more room available for my fellow Shades enthusiasts. :cool1:

So go...and enjoy!

Thanks for the comments - we're arriving on Friday for our first stay at SOG. Can't wait!

These posts have caused a long-time feud between DD and me to reignite. She swears by her value resorts and cannot understand why I won't even give them a try. And she has stayed at Shades before. I can't understand why she would want to stay at a VR when Shades is actually cheaper, nicer, quieter, bigger, etc. She should never even try to out Shades me. :lmao: The only thing she is right about is the food and the opprotunity to get the meal deal. But even that won't sway me because I find eating at sit-downs a waste of time. I would rather be in the park doing rides, seeing shows or just taking it all in than sitting in a restaurant for two hours. :confused3

But, to each their own. Because she chooses to stay elsewhere, that's one more room available for my fellow Shades enthusiasts. :cool1:

Every time I go I think maybe next trip we'll stay in a Disney resort instead. And all it takes is seeing the lines of people waiting for buses like cattle in the chute and I'm done with that thought.

On our upcoming trip, we are sponsoring our friends, a non-military family, at Shades of Green. From what I've read here, we should soon be getting an e-mail to pre-order our tickets to have them ready and waiting for us upon our arrival. We will be using the Salute Tickets, but our friends will be using the regular MYW tickets. Will they be able to purchase them tax-free at Shades of Green?

On our upcoming trip, we are sponsoring our friends, a non-military family, at Shades of Green. From what I've read here, we should soon be getting an e-mail to pre-order our tickets to have them ready and waiting for us upon our arrival. We will be using the Salute Tickets, but our friends will be using the regular MYW tickets. Will they be able to purchase them tax-free at Shades of Green?

if you add them to your order form you can have them all waiting for you. :)

Hey team - Long time lurker, first time poster. We're staying at SOG and have 8:25 ressie at CP. MK opens at 9AM that day. What's the best way to get to the park in time for our reservation? Walk (drive?) to the Poly and take the monorail? Any idea what time we should leave the resort to make our reservation?

Thanks! :thumbsup2

Hey team - Long time lurker, first time poster. We're staying at SOG and have 8:25 ressie at CP. MK opens at 9AM that day. What's the best way to get to the park in time for our reservation? Walk (drive?) to the Poly and take the monorail? Any idea what time we should leave the resort to make our reservation?

Thanks! :thumbsup2
Best way is to walk to Poly, and take the monorail. I would leave SOG around 7:15. Count on about a 15 min walk to Poly, or a small wait and ride on the shady shuttle. Then a small wait to get the monorail (about 15 min or less). The the short monorail ride to MK, the short trip through the bag check. The line for ADR's to let you into the park. You'll probably get into the park around 8am. Then you can take your time walking up Main Street and get some wonderful photos and be checked in at CP by about 8:15.

Best way is to walk to Poly, and take the monorail. I would leave SOG around 7:15. Count on about a 15 min walk to Poly, or a small wait and ride on the shady shuttle. Then a small wait to get the monorail (about 15 min or less). The the short monorail ride to MK, the short trip through the bag check. The line for ADR's to let you into the park. You'll probably get into the park around 8am. Then you can take your time walking up Main Street and get some wonderful photos and be checked in at CP by about 8:15.

Thanks! I assumed that the bus system wouldn't be running early enough, so the monorail was my next best guess. That's great information. Now to convince my crew we need to get up in time to leave SOG at 7AM during our vacation. :teeth:

From the Shades of Green Facebook page:

"Effective Sunday, May 19, 2013
There will be a 100% ID check on the buses on your return trips from the parks back to Shades of Green. All adults will need to have their room key or resort ID along with a photo ID card; military ID cards are preferred.
Upon your return trip, please have your ID’s out and ready to show the bus driver prior to boarding the bus."

Makes sense to me. Apparently some people have been driving to the resort and parking there and then riding the SOG buses. If you read the FB replies, some people are complaining, some are saying it's for security reasons and others are saying because of crowded buses due to people who shouldn't be on them riding. I don't care what the reason is, all of them are good ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter