Several dining plan questions

Kalea

Mouseketeer
Hi, y'all.

In October we (me, DH, DD (3), DS (8)) are taking our first trip to WDW, and we have free dining (w/ a PIN). My parents will join us for 3 days of our 8-day trip. They had some old non-expiration tickets, so they aren't buying tickets and will not have free dining.

None of us are big eaters. DH and I very frequently share meals out at restaurants. My parents share almost always. Even my kids share when they can agree on something.

We have ADRs at Sci-fi, Liberty Tree Tavern (lunch), Akershus, BoG, Sanaa, Via Napoli (OOP, maybe), 'Ohana, and Tusker House.

I know that we will be unable to share at buffet meals. What about everywhere else? Are portions typical American size? If DH & I share a meal and want to buy my parents a meal to share is that a problem?

IIRC, for CS, it's not broken up between kids and adults? If my kid doesn't want something on the kids' menu, can I ever ask for a smaller portion of something off the adult menu? At Flame Tree, for example, my 3-yo doesn't eat hot dogs or pb&j, but she'd LOVE a fruit plate.

If we wind up with left over meal/snack credits, can we use them to buy another family a meal?

I'd like to piggy-back on this thread. We are annual passholders and are staying in vacation club this weekend. We come down at least once every other month but this one is to celebrate anniversary. I have ADR at Le Celler for Saturday night and have tried to get in there several times and since it's normally a spur of the moment trip, we haven't been successful.

Thinking about getting the dining plan. I understand that Le Celler is a 2 sit down credit restaurant but it looks like it still might be cheaper. If we get the deluxe plan, looks like it will pay for itself. We will be arriving late enough on Friday we won't need to use a dining credit. Two counter services, Fish and Chips on Saturday and Earls on Sunday before we come home. Then snacks should be free. Plus a(nother) refillable mug.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

If we wind up with left over meal/snack credits, can we use them to buy another family a meal?

On one of our trips to the parks one person in our party happened to be in line at Cosmic Rays and the person in front of her had extra quick service and bought her meal for her.

Disney has a way of knowing 'everything' but I don't think they care what you do with the meal once it leaves the counter on quick service. On the table dining there may be issues.

I'm anxious (and nervous) to try the dining plan.

Enjoy your trip

If DH & I share a meal and want to buy my parents a meal to share is that a problem?

If my kid doesn't want something on the kids' menu, can I ever ask for a smaller portion of something off the adult menu? At Flame Tree, for example, my 3-yo doesn't eat hot dogs or pb&j, but she'd LOVE a fruit plate.

According to the rules of the dining plan you cannot use your credits for people who are not on your dining plan. From the FAQs in the dining plan brochure:

Q. Can I use my Disney Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in my reservation or have not purchased a Disney dining plan?
A. Sorry, you may not use your Disney Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in your reservation or have not purchased a Disney dining plan.

I have not heard of anyone being able to downsize an adult dish for a child. Disney does have carts that sell fruits that can be paid for with a snack credit.

According to the rules of the dining plan you cannot use your credits for people who are not on your dining plan. From the FAQs in the dining plan brochure:

Q. Can I use my Disney Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in my reservation or have not purchased a Disney dining plan?
A. Sorry, you may not use your Disney Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in your reservation or have not purchased a Disney dining plan.

I have not heard of anyone being able to downsize an adult dish for a child. Disney does have carts that sell fruits that can be paid for with a snack credit.

Thanks! Having not been on the dining plan before, I wasn't sure about the separation of rule vs actual practice. I'm fine with anything, and am not really a rule breaker. It just seems silly to either waste food or credits.

As to the sharing question, you can share meals at most TS locations that aren't buffet. My DM, DD, and I have done this many times. Since we don't eat dessert as a rule when we are at home, we find sharing meals works for us. Especially now that DD is an adult. 2 meals between the 3 of us works out fine. :goodvibes.

When you order at either TS or CS you will be limited to the amount of people on your KTTW card. Your card will have 2A2K on it so you will be able to order 2 adult and 2 kids meals at each TS and CS locations.

I'd like to piggy-back on this thread. We are annual passholders and are staying in vacation club this weekend. We come down at least once every other month but this one is to celebrate anniversary. I have ADR at Le Celler for Saturday night and have tried to get in there several times and since it's normally a spur of the moment trip, we haven't been successful.

Thinking about getting the dining plan. I understand that Le Celler is a 2 sit down credit restaurant but it looks like it still might be cheaper. If we get the deluxe plan, looks like it will pay for itself. We will be arriving late enough on Friday we won't need to use a dining credit. Two counter services, Fish and Chips on Saturday and Earls on Sunday before we come home. Then snacks should be free. Plus a(nother) refillable mug.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

It looks like your talking about having the DxDDP for just one night for two people. Your total for that one night will be $208 plus some change. If you use 4 of the 6 total credits for Le Cellier and then the other two on the CS you've chosen, you may break even, but I think you'll be paying more for the plan than you would OOP.

IF (and that's a big IF) you both order the most expensive app, entree, dessert, and drink at Le Cellier, you're at around $160. Your fish n chips will be around $15 and one sandwich, dessert and drink at Earl's is around $12. That's $187. Four snacks at around $4.50 each and you're now at $205.

So you get two refillable mugs free (maybe).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter