• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Service road behind BCV

road have a tunnel that goes under the Epcot International Gate waterway and boats drive over the top of cars?

I don't think so....but I'm not 100% positive. There is such a tunnel over by the Contemporary that goes under the waterway that connects Bay Lake and 7 Seas Lagoon. In any case, I don't think it will be necessary to move the road. ;)

There is a tunnel - it goes under the canal the leads to the International Gateway. If you've ever taken a a bus back to the BWV from the MK, you've gone through it. The bus stops at the Swan, Dolphin, YC, BC and then BWV. The tunnel is past the BCV. On several occasions, the bus driver has commented on the tunnel and the fact that the waterway is above.

If this is the road people are so worried about, I think their worry is unjustified. There are very few cars that use it and IMHO, it's far enough away so that you shouldn't notice any "bus noise". I think the BW views over at the BWV are probably noisier. JMHO. YMMV.

I never realized that tunnel was under the waterway until someone posted a map of BCV and drew in the road and sure enough, it goes under. I often wondered why I sometimes heard busses when walking towards the International Gateway, I couldn't figure where they were at. They were approaching the tunnel beneath us! I'll have to look closer next time we're there!

Hopefully the noise will be kept out with the doors closed, but there will not be much of a view. These rooms will also probably be the farthest away from the elevator.

If you think of the Epcot Lake and waterway from Crecent Lake to Epcot, there has to be a tunnel under it for the buses to drive from BC to BW as they make the loop they do. And since that waterway is right in front of the Beach club as is the international gate waterway, the tunnel entrance is pretty close to the beach club as it starts to make it's decent down to go under the water. When I rode past the villas, they seemed pretty close to the road. Hopefully appropriate landscaping, trees, and maybe a sound fence will help, but the road is there that is travelled by busses and there's going to be noise from it that is probably going to be a problem.

I'm still planning to purchase there, but this will be one of the shortcommings of the resort in my opinion.

Capt Midnight- I agree the road is a shortcoming-as is that ugly couch! We can only hope they will do their best to minimize its impact. I wonder if it will become a huge headache like BW SV was. I can just see all the requests now: NO ROAD VIEW! It still didn't stop me from buying 150 points there- Just not ready to give up SAB!

Learn something new every day! I knew about the tunnel but didn't realize it was going under the waterway. This road has always seemed like sort of a "secret" road so I don't think it will present a real traffic problem. Disney is pretty darn good with their landscaping also so it may "disappear". Heck, the Wilderness Lodge appears to be on a mountain because of the landscaping -- I saw it being built and there ain't no mountain there. ;)

One other option would be to just close the road. BC guests and busses could exit towards the Swan - it's really not that much farther of a route to get to Buena Vista Dr. Or they could lower the level of the road to the same depth below ground as the place where you pass under the waterway, which I suspect would eliminate most of the road noise.

My best guess, though, is that they leave the road alone and it ends up not being much of a problem. Also, I'll bet there will be enough people who WANT a room on that side of the building in hopes of getting an Epcot view.

I think the problem will be with the first or second floor rooms. From there, I don't think you will have an Epcot view and will be closest to the road. You have to see it - they are VERY close to the road, much closer than the Boardwalk standards are to the driveway. Third floor or above might be OK.

They put up sound baricades by interstates, they could put up the same kind of sound barrier for BC villas. Some of them are wood and look pretty nice. I doubt graffitti would be a problem.

I don't know Grotto, I can just see I LUV DVC carved into that barrier!;) I agree only the lower level rooms will be undesirable as the Epcot view will be great from the upper rooms so I will amend my reservations comments to: NO LOWER LEVEL ROAD VIEW.;)

Forget purchasing at BCV, how could they allow a roadway to pass by the Villas. What a huge disappointment. Forget about SAB if there is a road near by.

What a hinderence to anybody's vacation?

:jester:

Each resort has a drawback or two (or more). I don't know about you, but I spent all of 20min on the balcony at VWL when I was there last. My guess would be that most DVCers have the door shut and A/C blasting, so I doubt if noise will be a problem. I'm sure the landscapers will work a little magic. I would be more disappointed if a road was close to a HH or VB resort. I expect a higher level of noise at the WDW resorts.

I would be more disappointed if a road was close to a HH or VB resort.

Well, actually the major Florida road A1A is right outside the door of the Vero resort. ;) But, when you look out of the Vero resort in that direction, you get a beautiful view of the Indian River and the road "disappears" behind the landscaping.

Johnnie, that's something I hadn't thought of before. Once again, I think it's a "wait and see" before passing judgement on how BCV will look when completed.

I'm not sure how many of you saw BWV being built. Looking at the swamp area, one didn't hold much expectation for the beautiful resort that has appeared. ;)

Forget purchasing at BCV, how could they allow a roadway to pass by the Villas. What a huge disappointment. Forget about SAB if there is a road near by.

Good point. Perhaps the poster above is right, and they will redirect the road a bit to make a larger loop a little further away allowing more distance between the villas and the road prior to going into the tunnel under the international waterway. Although, I don't know if 30 feet or so would make that much of a difference.

I spent all of 20min on the balcony at VWL when I was there last.

Well, I think you'll have to spend more time out on the balcony of BCV in order to get away from that ugly couch! I'll probably be stuck at SAB or the dedicated BCV quiet pool just to get out of the traffic noisy room.

Actually, I think it's a legitimate concern when trying to compare resorts and make a large purchase. They each have advantages. I like the room improvements and the increased interior spaces over BW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter