September 2015 Car Rental Watch

I'm finding that rates for September have overall gone up since a couple weeks ago, especially at Alamo. I still expect them to go down significantly late August - early September...but it doesn't hurt to keep checking.

A few other things:
- For those of you with Costco memberships, besides using the Costco contract ID (usually 7014627), try a coupon code of AF2645AGU - I believe its for a free day off a week. By the way, at Alamo I see they are now having you put in your Costco membership number as part of the reservation.
- At Dollar, rates have also gone up, but there are still some good "Lock, Low and Go" rates. Look at those, also check for City Specials that require no club affiliation. Also, I've found rates better than City Specials using the AAA Mid-Atlantic corporate code. It seems each AAA region has its own code with Dollar...whether those yield the same savings, I have no idea. The correct AAA code can be found on on the Dollar site. I think I posted where pages ago in this thread...if you have trouble finding it, let me know...
- Main advice still holds: Reserve now, but don't prepay. I'm reasonably sure the rates will come down some more (at least for the standard car classes)

I don't mind if i end up a compact...just don't want one of those gas guzzlers cars...it only the 2 of us...Also, were you able to bypass the counter utilizing the Dollar Express or the Rapid Rental?
We always go right to the garage. Our name has been on the screen and last 2 times have gone right to the car without stopping

I have a mid-size SUV from Alamo for 8 days (9/4 - 9/11) for a total of $165. Should I bother to keep checking back? The rates have doubled since I confirmed this booking. (I used the Visa coupon code and my BJ's membership contract ID.)

Also, do any car rental companies offer a free second driver (spouse) any more? Alamo used to if you were an Insider but it looks like they don't offer that now.

I have a mid-size SUV from Alamo for 8 days (9/4 - 9/11) for a total of $165. Should I bother to keep checking back? The rates have doubled since I confirmed this booking. (I used the Visa coupon code and my BJ's membership contract ID.)

Also, do any car rental companies offer a free second driver (spouse) any more? Alamo used to if you were an Insider but it looks like they don't offer that now.

It never hurts to keep checking. Rates often go down just a few weeks to about a week before arrival. But, sometimes those rules don't hold with non-standard vehicle types, of which SUV's are an example. I will say that $165 for 8 days for an SUV is an excellent rate! I'd keep looking, but I don't think you need to be obsessive about it.

I know Costco still has 2nd driver included with Alamo, but I'm not sure if BJ's does. If they do, you should see it in your original confirmation from Alamo. Also, if the 2nd driver is important to you, keep an eye on Budget rates. I *think* they always include a 2nd driver if its a spouse.

I think that's a wonderful deal! We are going 9/5 - 9/12 and have a full size for $162.17. (But we are picking up in Ft. Lauderdale & returning at MCO so I expect my rate to potentially be a bit higher than if I was picking up/returning to MCO.) We don't have BJ's in our area so I had to use Costco, Visa & Insiders. It said it was $30 off, but I think it saved me even more because no discount had my total trip in the lower $200's.

I'm going to keep looking to see if my rate drops. Money is better in my pocket than some big corporation...(always looking for deals).

:flower3::flower3::flower3:

I'm sitting on my $120 full size for a week (including taxes). I'm not sure I'll be able to beat that, but I might jump up to an SUV if it comes down to around $150

I'm sitting on my $120 full size for a week (including taxes). I'm not sure I'll be able to beat that, but I might jump up to an SUV if it comes down to around $150

Me too! I have a standard for $112, and with being able to choose from the full size row that would be fine and I am fine with that price. But would love an SUV if I could get one for not a whole lot more. Prices are up today. :(

I believe we are down to $248 for 10 days for Minivan through Alamo. My wife kept checking last weekend and early this week and the list of vehicles was on its head with vans being the cheapest and Econocmy, Standard, etc... being ridiculous.

My reservation using the BJ's membership shows a free additional driver. It is listed specifically on the reservation.

9/25-10/6 $273 inclusive of taxes and using BJs code for upgrade from standard to Full Size. Also it says includes 1 free driver.
Still hoping to get it knocked down by $150, but when I originally booked in April, I started at $440.

My reservation using the BJ's membership shows a free additional driver. It is listed specifically on the reservation.

Yes, I did what the poster above said and checked my email confirmation. Under "options" it lists 1 additional driver. This makes me very happy!

We are going to Universal, Sea World and Aquatica. Are there any discounts on parking out there? AAA? AARP?

Have a reservation with Dollar 9/12-22 using AAA discount (corporate code) for $150. Lock n go for compact or larger.

A very dangerous approach. to which I'm not entitled You could potentially end up paying the full, current price for your rental at the time of arrival. Not a great way to kick off a vacation.

Bla Bla, etc
Ask before you speak out !
Theproofofthepudding is in the eating
Alamo Customer Service
1(888)233-8749

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter