Separate cabin for college-age kids?

Have you considered booking an inside cabin instead of a family cabin and just a regular balcony cabin? If you're not sleeping with all four of you in one cabin, you may not need the larger family cabin size, and it could reduce that extra $1,500 a bit.
The room we have booked now is 4E. Even though it's coded as a larger Family cabin, the interior is actually the smaller layout which only sleeps 4 (no extra space + Murphy.) But it does have the verandah which is 2-3x the normal size, including two lounge chairs or half loungers.

If we switched to a 5A (standard cabin with the normal verandah) it's literally only $100 cheaper on the same deck. The absolute most we could save would be about $250 if we went with a lower deck and/or undersized or obstructed verandah. At the end of the day, the upper floor extended verandah is worth that money for 7 nights. We've had these cabins before, and it's a great place to unwind without the hustle and bustle of the pool deck, eat a meal in peace, etc.

I say if you can, go for the extra cabin. Extra space, bathroom, privacy, different schedule, etc. We started cruising with our three kids younger than yours. We always had two cabins. Our first cruise was two cabins inside connecting. My DH with my sons and I with my daughter (youngest). Next few, my DH, myself and my daughter OV or balcony and my two sons had their cabin across ours (they separate the beds for them). We have done numerous combinations.

Just curious - is there an age that you have to be to have your own cabin? Yes, I know you just do what you want with the keys, etc, but legally, is it 18? 21?

We did book separate cabins for our adult children and their young adult children, our grandchildren. Our children were in veranda, and the others were in inside, across the hall.

Not if there will be a minor in there also. I still had to book 1 adult in each room and a kid in each at ages 18 & 16. They could not be booked together in 1 room.
Yes, I'm aware which is why I worded it the way I did. The PP asked " is there an age that you have to be to have your own cabin? Yes, I know you just do what you want with the keys, etc, but legally, is it 18? 21?"

The answer to that is you have to be age 18 and up to reserve your own cabin. Had their comment included concerns regarding minors I would have mentioned that, it wasn't the question asked however.

We started doing that when our kids were 12 & 15. They were very experienced cruisers. For our Alaskan cruise, it was actually cheaper than putting all 4 of us in one room with verandah. Back then, an OBB included OBC from DCL and it was tiered according to Castaway Club level. We were platinum so each room got $350 from DCL and $200 from our TA. Having 2 rooms made that doubly sweet.
We booked one of us in each room and one child in each room. We asked GS for blank keys for all 4 of us so regardless of which room we're booked into, we could all go into our booked room or the other one.
It was so nice to have 2 closets, 2 bathrooms, and 2 TVs, not to mention double the space and privacy for me and dh.

The only hiccup I can recall was that every night I would tell them to turn the lock on the door. I felt better knowing no one could enter their room. That cuts both ways because on some mornings when we had early excursions and needed them to wake up by 6am, I couldn't get in there either. I think I just called into the room but I have to admit I was a bit worried that they would sleep through the phone ringing and we'd be late to our excursion.

It worked out so well, we did it again for our Mediterranean cruise the next year.

When they were 19 and 22, we cruised to Norway and they were offering VGT rates that were very enticing. That was the only time we splurged for 2 balconies. We had connecting rooms and asked them open the door between verandahs and that was a delicious amount of space. I would highly recommend that if you can swing it.
Thank you for mentioning the locked door and early morning excursion wake ups! I didn't even think about that. I'll make sure they set their alarms when we are at dinner. That hiccup didn't even dawn on me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter