Sensory issues - when did you ditch the stroller?

My DD just turned 7 and while she has come a long way since even last year, I would still not travel to a mall, park, fair, amusement park without one. She had been doing so well in public places the last few months, that while on a camping trip last week the wagon I was using for her broke and I figured it's fine we'll go out anyway, so we just walked to where we were going (about a mile away). Low and behold that just happened to be the night that her sensory issues kicked into high gear and it was not a pretty site as I had to figure out how to get her away and safely back to our camp. Not a fun night and yet another reminder that better to be safe than sorry especially in a high sensory place like amusement parks. We are very blessed that her insurance approved her for a convaid therapeutic stroller/wheelchair last year (unfortunately it didn't arrive until after our Disney trip) and this should last her at least a good 6 years or more of growth as she is on the small side. I can honestly say that if I didn't have a stroller/chair option for her there is no way I could consider taking her to amusement park.

I just want to say I'm thankful for this thread. My son is 12/almost 13 and I have considered doing a stroller with him, but admit I've worried about the looks he would get. I know I shouldn't -I have really grown a thick skin and usually ignore the looks and comments-but for some reason this one bugs me. I guess I feel guilty for considering it when I know he is capable of walking himself.

He is high functioning Autism/Asbergers but in the last few years we have done a little regression sensory-wise. He is up and down at Disney, sometimes needing those headphones as a lifeline, holding his ears and being all over the place, and sometimes he is so happy about being at Disney that you couldn't look at him and know he is autistic. Our problem is there are moments when he feels overwhelmed by the crowds or sounds or whatever and he'll stop, stock-still and not move for about 5 minutes, sometimes almost causing a mini pileup! I feel like a stroller might be good for those times. I don't even know if he'd ride in it. He's going through that "Im a big boy/teenager" thing so he might not even do it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks because sometimes you feel like you're the only one dealing with this stuff. :)

I just want to say I'm thankful for this thread. My son is 12/almost 13 and I have considered doing a stroller with him, but admit I've worried about the looks he would get. I know I shouldn't -I have really grown a thick skin and usually ignore the looks and comments-but for some reason this one bugs me. I guess I feel guilty for considering it when I know he is capable of walking himself.

He is high functioning Autism/Asbergers but in the last few years we have done a little regression sensory-wise. He is up and down at Disney, sometimes needing those headphones as a lifeline, holding his ears and being all over the place, and sometimes he is so happy about being at Disney that you couldn't look at him and know he is autistic. Our problem is there are moments when he feels overwhelmed by the crowds or sounds or whatever and he'll stop, stock-still and not move for about 5 minutes, sometimes almost causing a mini pileup! I feel like a stroller might be good for those times. I don't even know if he'd ride in it. He's going through that "Im a big boy/teenager" thing so he might not even do it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks because sometimes you feel like you're the only one dealing with this stuff. :)
I feel your pain! I as well have certainly grown a thick skin over the last 7 years, unfortunately my 11 year old still gets so incredibly embarrassed when her sister has an "episode". It's life and just something you deal with. I actually find it easier to deal with at Disney because let them stare, I will most likely never see them again, it's harder for me when it's people you know who don't realize how severe your child's issues/disabilities may be and question why she's in a therapeutic stroller and most quite honestly still don't understand until they actually see her go through an "episode". Disney is just such a huge overload on a normal healthy individual, that it is no wonder that those who are more susceptible need to have a safety net to help them recoup and regroup and allow them to be able to enjoy the day and their vacation. If you think a stroller might be too "babyish" in his eyes, there is always the option of renting a wheelchair or even bringing a rental one with you from home, even that will help give your son some personal space that is a little harder for people to invade.

Our 8 and 10 yr olds switched off on our stroller this last trip. They are both autistic and the younger one is a runner so it's much safer to have the stroller so we can hook him in if we need to. He is much taller than our 10 yr old and about 108 lbs but still fits in our Joovy Zoom & we'll be using it until the wheels fall off :thumbsup2

Wow, I am so glad I found this thread. My son has high functioning autism and I questioned using one again when we visit in 2016 when he'll be almost 9 1/2. We used one last year when he was eight and he really seemed to need it as his place to "get away" from the chaos. He's small for his age and doesn't mind squeezing in. But I've really been wondering if we should give it up for the next trip. I think in the end we'll rent one just as a back-up for when he needs his down time.

We used one last year for my guy who has High Functioning Autism. He was 11 then. He has sensory issues and hypotonia. It was a great thing for him to be able to put on his hearing protectors shut the lid a bit from 'crying babies', scary places or whatever loud thing overstimulated him. We had a couple of snarky CM's in 2 different parks say 'aren't you too big to be in a stroller??'. Who are they to judge us and my sons needs?! We had to complain to management which I hated doing. But we didn't let it ruin our fun. Renting the Liberty stroller made a HUGE difference. Our guy was happier and safer. Overall, it was great!

Just got back a few days ago. My 8 yo with SPD/ADHD/OCD was having a really miserable time for the first half of our trip. He was climbing everything, running away, overwhelmed by noise, just a mess. He hit his head falling backwards off a pole he climbed while I was turned around trying to get his food at Cosmic Ray's. He pretty much was out of the parks every day after one ride. Finally, he was complaining about blisters at Hollywood Studios one night the second we arrived and it was raining and we knew our other son was dying to go on Star Tours I said what the heck let's get a stroller for him. We rented a double stroller and we couldn't believe the difference it made. We were so disappointed we didn't figure out how much it helped back at the beginning of our trip instead of more towards the end. He was so much happier in his little cocoon. We used a stroller for him the rest of the trip. I guess some people looked at us for having a large child in a disney rental stroller but I"m sure people looked at us when he was being carried because I couldn't set him down or he'd elope or try to climb something or fall off of something.

My advice to anyone with a kid with sensory issues if they will fit in a stroller is GET THE STROLLER! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter