Sensory issues - when did you ditch the stroller?

kohlby

DIS Veteran
Our next trip is actually to US/IOA, not Disney, but I figured there may be more people with experience in a similar situation in this forum. We did US/IOA when my youngest was 4.5 years old. He refused to ride anything. The stroller was his safe spot, where he happily hung out when he wasn't chasing birds. When he was 5.5 years old, we did Disney. He heavily relied on the stroller at the start of the trip - refusing even rides gentle enough for toddlers - but lost a lot of his fears in the middle of the trip at Legoland and it went much better after that. He would do some rides!! He also didn't rely on the stroller as much. He used it some, but it wasn't as much a necessity. We're headed to US/IOA this year - so he'll be 6.5 years old. He's still under 50 lbs, so our stroller will still work for him. But - after three kids and several stroller Disney/US trips, I'm wondering if we're able to give up the stroller.

What were your experiences with kids with sensory issues - especially avoiders. He's come so far that I'm hopeful and US/IOA is less overwhelming than Disney. But I'm still not sure if he's ready.

My daughter was 6.5 on our last trip and I didn't bring one. I ended up renting one on our 2nd day, she was doing horrible. We are going back next month for her 7th birthday and I will be bringing one. She just can't handle the overload.

That's very helpful Anchored. How did she do on the trip before? If I was comparing it to my child's 2013 trip, there's absolutely no way we could go without. But if he's matured since the 2014 trip, then there's hope. The second half of the 2014 trip was like a totally different kid. (Still a kid with sensory quirks, but quirks that were much more manageable than what we dealt with on the first half of the trip).

I had a stroller the last trip the whole time and we always get a DAS. April was only 3 days so I thought I could get by without it but I was wrong. She isn't an avoider, she is a seeker, so she was throwing herself into barriers, other people, etc. She does better in day to day life but Disney is still challenging for her.

Our next trip is actually to US/IOA, not Disney, but I figured there may be more people with experience in a similar situation in this forum. We did US/IOA when my youngest was 4.5 years old. He refused to ride anything. The stroller was his safe spot, where he happily hung out when he wasn't chasing birds. When he was 5.5 years old, we did Disney. He heavily relied on the stroller at the start of the trip - refusing even rides gentle enough for toddlers - but lost a lot of his fears in the middle of the trip at Legoland and it went much better after that. He would do some rides!! He also didn't rely on the stroller as much. He used it some, but it wasn't as much a necessity. We're headed to US/IOA this year - so he'll be 6.5 years old. He's still under 50 lbs, so our stroller will still work for him. But - after three kids and several stroller Disney/US trips, I'm wondering if we're able to give up the stroller.

What were your experiences with kids with sensory issues - especially avoiders. He's come so far that I'm hopeful and US/IOA is less overwhelming than Disney. But I'm still not sure if he's ready.

Do you use noise block head phones? That helps my little guy a lot! I would say dont ditch the stroller just yet. You may regret having to rent one.

We'll probably get one for as long as he'll fit into one. We went for his 5th birthday and he spent more time in the stroller than his 2 1/2 year old brother. He just likes to hide there occassionally. I don't blame him - sometimes I wish I had a hideaway to avoid the people!

My daughter is almost 12 (with autism, epilepsy, low vision, low muscle tone and all the sensory stuff that goes along with autism). We started visiting Disney just before her 5th birthday and have always taken a stroller for her. By the time she was about 8 we had transitioned from a "baby/toddler" stroller to a medical one and we are currently waiting for delivery of her new wheelchair since the medical stroller is now on its last legs. I cannot imagine her travelling anywhere like Disney/Universal without her own set of wheels any time in the near future.

I think when she was 7. We used the stroller half for sensory issues, and half for hypotonia. In both areas she finally improved to an extent to not need it anymore. What really helped her with rides is our local water park. The rides there are all different paces/speeds. So she has worked her way up each year to conquering new rides. Another advantage of the water parks, is we are often seated right beside each other in those big rafts, so I think it provides a safe, tight feeling. We have season passes to both Busch Gardens and Water Country, and she just seems to do better at WC. I know I went off-topic, but just wanted to share how we've gradually been able to move past a lot of her fears about rides.

Yeah, water parks are not going to work. His sensory issues are really bad with water. He still won't take a bath unless sitting on a body board. (We only got him to sit down in the tub a couple years ago). He's doing better with little rain drops but the bigger ones evoke a reaction that would make one think acid is falling.

I think he liked Legoland because the rides aren't dark and he could see what they did ahead of time. Also - since we couldn't even get him on rides before, just getting him to try it out was huge.

I would do whatever makes him comfortable. At 6 1/2 you might want to have the stroller along in case he needs a safe retreat from the noise, movement, heat, etc. If he seems to be doing well walking around, you can park the stroller in each land and let him ride to the next parking area. Let him venture away from the stroller as much as he'll tolerate. He might surprise you! That said, I'm not a huge fan of challenging sensory kids to go too far out of their comfort zones during a vacation. It should be a time for him to feel safe and comfortable. He probably gets challenged enough in his OT and classroom sessions. Have a great trip!:)

My DD had issues with tiring (we know why now with her diagnosis this year). Last time I brought one was when she was 7. She rode in it all the time. The next trip I didn't bring it, but ended up renting one a couple of times in the parks (and she fell sound asleep in it once).
Wish I had brought it until she was at least 9 really! She was on the smaller side anyway.
I'd say it's better to bring it and not need it, than need it and not have one handy.
And never worry about what others say or think. You know your child best. I learned that lesson this year, and won't forget it!

Yep, not worried about others. If he needs _______, then anyone thinking about judging is going to be much happier around him if he has ___________. (The blank doesn't need to be a stroller, it could be anything). I think I'll bring it. I may test it out by leaving it in our car or back in the room. That way I'm not testing it out completely for the trip. I really don't know what to expect with him in the stroller - as this will be 14 months since our last Orlando trip. (And US/IOA instead of Disney). Just hoping the stroller doesn't fall apart. It's a 12 year old stroller and I can't see buying another one at this point unless we know we're going to need one. (It has great sunshade and full recline and is really easy for him to cocoon himself inside if needed).

My DS is now 23 and I would not even think about going to the parks without a wheelchair. We went from a stroller, to a special needs larger stroller, to a travel chair and how renting a wheelchair. Without one he is just all over the place. Riding is his safe place. He can get the sensory input from the ride while enjoying the sensory input from the sights and sounds. Yes, he will get out of the wheelchair if we go on a ride, or eat, or if he sees one of his favorite characters, but he is much easier to handle and we can reason with him if he rides most of the time. Besides, I get lots of exercise pushing him around. 8-)

My son is 8 years old and 80 lbs and we are renting a special needs stroller for touring. Besides getting more tired than other kids his age, he needs the safe space to get in when things get too much, parades and large crowds while walking are his too big ones. He pulls the canopy down as far as it will go, puts his headphones on, and just gets to a place where he feels safe. We know we'll get looks and we don't even own a stroller for our everyday life, but for Disney, we will do anything he needs to have a positive trip!

I wouldn't give you looks for an 8 year old in the stroller at all. My DD was in one then. I feel bad for the ones whose parents think can keep up with walking 5 to 10 miles in a day without a rest time, and are crabby, crying, sick, you name it, and the parents get grumpy and don't see that maybe it's too much for their kid? All kids are different, and some need the stroller.

We have the Liberty by Advance Mobility. I hate to say it but DS still loves to be in his special carrier at 12 years old. He likes to pull down the canopy and shut out the world when it becomes too much for him.

Do we get looks? Yes and some giggles when adults say they wish they could jump in. Do people make rude comments? Yes but we just keep walking. It is our holiday and we have to do what is best for our child, not what others think we should do.

My son is 6 1/2 and I am thinking of bringing a stroller on our trip in Aug/Sept, since it will help with him not tiring as easily. I would NEVER not bring a stroller or anything else based on what some strangers in an amusement park might think!!!!!!!!!

My son is Autistic (high functioning) and we did not ditch the stroller till he was 10 but only because HE chose not to have one. Who cares what others think. He is now 16 and we still have to take a bunch of breaks through out the day, we just find a nice spot out of the way and decompress for about 10 to 15 minutes. It's kinda funny he will look at me and say "OK....I'm good now".

My daughter is 12 and we have a convaid special needs stroller for her. It is more for her to have a defined space and a place to escape to when she is on sensory overload than it is for mobility, although she does have low muscle tone and endurance. People may stare or comment but it is our daughter and our vacation. We do what we need to do to make it successful for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter