Selling our DVC *Update!

We have been members since 2006 and have been going multiple times a year
since then. We have decided that once a year is a good number for us so we are selling about half of our points. We need to get back to using our beach house in PCB instead of heading to the mouse every time we get a few days off.

:wave2: I am from Dothan AL. ROLL TIDE ROLL. :) I used to go to PCB all the time in high school and college. I graduated from Troy..but the Dothan campus. :)

:wave2: I am from Dothan AL. ROLL TIDE ROLL. :) I used to go to PCB all the time in high school and college. I graduated from Troy..but the Dothan campus. :)

With your new offensive coordinator you will roll all right. Right to NCAA purgatory

But on a note related to this thread my most recent sale was through board sponsor and I have been very pleased. I was hesitant to use them as several years ago I sold with them and felt communication was poor but this time it had been very good

I love my DVC but with Disney raising the price on park adm and the food it makes it for some of us that's all we can do is go stay in our resort of choice and not go to the parks at all . Disney keeps adding new stuff to see and do but when it feels like you are being rob you just don 't go anymore it makes me want to sell my DVC and bow out

I love my DVC but with Disney raising the price on park adm and the food it makes it for some of us that's all we can do is go stay in our resort of choice and not go to the parks at all . Disney keeps adding new stuff to see and do but when it feels like you are being rob you just don 't go anymore it makes me want to sell my DVC and bow out

My children look just as forward to their annual summer beach camping trip as they do their Disney trip in June! Going for 9 nights to AK and food alone is going to cost an arm and a leg! I love my DVC but for a family of 5 it is getting crazy expensive w/ or w/out DVC! The food costs at Disney especially stress me out! Upside- when I return home eating out doesn't seem expensive anymore:-)

Thank you all so much for your responses!

I agree with the costs rising, quality (IMHO & from our experience) going down, Disney has been disappointing us lately. But, I can't help but think back to all of our wonderful trips. We've been taking our kids since they were infants! We have made some very special memories there.

So, an update!
We were all ready to sell. We signed papers, agreed on a list price and right before DH was about to call & give them the go ahead (The Timesahre Store) to list our two contracts he called me. He tells me, I don't think I can do it! :rotfl2:
I was really surprised because this was his idea & I did agree, but he was the driving force. Anyway, he said he thinks we are making a mistake. We should maybe just rent out our points the years we don't want to go to Disney & keep our points because he knows we will still want to go to Disney sometimes.

We are still DVC members! :thumbsup2

But, we will reevaluate once we buy our RV. At that point we will have to decide if it's worth having an RV and DVC.

Again, thank you all so much for sharing your stories here. And thank you for "listening" :goodvibes

I agree with the costs rising, quality (IMHO & from our experience) going down, Disney has been disappointing us lately. But, I can't help but think back to all of our wonderful trips. We've been taking our kids since they were infants! We have made some very special memories there.

So, an update!
We were all ready to sell. We signed papers, agreed on a list price and right before DH was about to call & give them the go ahead (The Timesahre Store) to list our two contracts he called me. He tells me, I don't think I can do it! :rotfl2:
I was really surprised because this was his idea & I did agree, but he was the driving force. Anyway, he said he thinks we are making a mistake. We should maybe just rent out our points the years we don't want to go to Disney & keep our points because he knows we will still want to go to Disney sometimes.

But, we will reevaluate once we buy our RV. At that point we will have to decide if it's worth having an RV and DVC.

Again, thank you all so much for sharing your stories here. And thank you for "listening" :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing the update! As life goes on, you will know what is the right decision and as your children get older, you may find that the points will benefit them in terms of visits they may want to do without you so the RV and DVC may just work out!!!

So, an update!

We bought in 2006 and added on in 2012 and 2013. We did 2 trips with the kids and 1 adult only trip in 2013 with the PAPs we bought on special. My 3 kids, teens now, did a lot of complaining on the 2 trips...specifically DS-17. We realized we might be past the family trips now (one of our family trips was with all the inlaws too and that didn't go well either, so we figured that would be the last of that too). DH and I would likely need to use our points (now 425...less 100 that MIL and FIL use, so 325) for trips just for the 2 of us for several years (until the kids are married with families of their own and an interest in doing WDW with us again). We thought we would downsize and listed our 200 OKW points (half of which MIL and FIL use)...we'd then have 225 for just us and that would be a good amount. After a month on the market and no bites, we pulled them off and decided to keep them...we can make use of them and maybe in a few years we can add some more and do a solid month at WDW every winter (snow bird like). So, OP, I get where you guys were coming from. I think you (and I) made a good decision in keeping the points.

And I have since booked a 4 night WDW trip for my twin DDs-15 and I only...no boys. We added it to the 5 night HHI trip all 5 of us will do. Us girls will drive up from WDW and meet the boys at HHI. My girls are very excited about it (as am I). So, just when you think the magic is gone...:wizard:

Thank you for the update! Was there any consideration to selling just 1 contract? Have you ever rented points before? I asked about renting here, still undecided, but I think if we had to downsize, I would sell, some rather than trying to rent.

bobbiwoz
We didn't consider selling just one contract because if/when we do go back to Disney it would be in a 1 bedroom or greater, and at holiday or summer time. So we would need the full amount of points to do the ressie.

Before we were DVC members we rented points twice from members from this board. As DVC members we have never rented out our own points. But I'm very familiar with how it all works. I wouldn't have a problem doing it on my own or ever using the company that's advertised on this site.

lovin'fl
Thanks for sharing your story with me! It's good to hear someone get's where we are coming from. I though for sure my DIS friends would think I was a little crazy with my update.:rotfl2:

Thanks for the update.

This is a scenario where for a year or two/few years you think you might not go to WDW, enjoy WDW, need a break for whatever reason and if it's not for financial reasons, there is always Vero and HH. There is also possibility on trying an exchange with RCI or should I say it perhaps a cruise if you did not want the hassle of renting out points and they are not restricted.

We were just talking about the rise in ticket prices yesterday when the prices went up. When you think that the undiscounted PAP now costs $800+ including tax, you are paying on average $80 a day just to go to a park if you plan on using it ten time. $80, just to walk into a park. This is just crazy.

We might be selling at least two of our contracts in a year or two (still have three AP vouchers to cash in). And then stay at OKW and enjoy the pool and non-park dining. And use the proceeds from our sale to purchase another timeshare someplace.

We were just talking about the rise in ticket prices yesterday when the prices went up. When you think that the undiscounted PAP now costs $800+ including tax, you are paying on average $80 a day just to go to a park if you plan on using it ten time. $80, just to walk into a park. This is just crazy.

We might be selling at least two of our contracts in a year or two (still have three AP vouchers to cash in). And then stay at OKW and enjoy the pool and non-park dining. And use the proceeds from our sale to purchase another timeshare someplace.

There is a DVC deal for passes again this year though isn't there? As long as that exists, we'll have passes...otherwise, I guess we could do the FL Seasonal ones. We might do universal instead though because Disney just costs too much X4 people. That would be one more thing in favor of selling our bigger DVC contract, just keeping the 50 Vero points and using our other timeshares. I bought a couple of cheapos off of Ebay years ago that have proven time and again to be awesome traders so I'll keep those.

There is a DVC deal for passes again this year though isn't there? As long as that exists, we'll have passes...otherwise, I guess we could do the FL Seasonal ones. We might do universal instead though because Disney just costs too much X4 people. That would be one more thing in favor of selling our bigger DVC contract, just keeping the 50 Vero points and using our other timeshares. I bought a couple of cheapos off of Ebay years ago that have proven time and again to be awesome traders so I'll keep those.

You have to buy by April 30 and activate by Jan 31, 2015. We only have one short trip planned during that time. So we have other tickets that are cheaper to use for the short trip. And we aren't getting the PAP deal this year because it's not a deal for us.

You have to buy by April 30 and activate by Jan 31, 2015. We only have one short trip planned during that time. So we have other tickets that are cheaper to use for the short trip. And we aren't getting the PAP deal this year because it's not a deal for us.

That makes sense. We go more frequently as we only live a little over and hour away...that said, if I had to pay $800 per pass x4, I wouldn't have passes. That is nuts.

I really think our future trips to WDW will be resort only stays. It's just getting too much to spend every year on park passes.

We are thinking of a trip the end of this summer to go see the new HP additions at US. :thumbsup2 We would use our DVC points for the resort, but just go to US. The prices are better for our family of four.

I totally understand selling due to financial reasons and downsizing due to life change. However...

I am of a different mind, as my youngest is now a junior at college, my thoughts turn more and more to DVC and Disney, because...grandchildren!!
We love taking the ones we have looking forward to having/taking more.

Actually the number one reason for me is that it is the only time I have ever seen my workaholic husband relax. We aren't so much into the parks anymore, and are considering other places like HH, but we still love going, if only to take others with us and share our happy place.

Good luck to you, I hope it all ends happily, ever after.

pixiedust:

Good for you!..

You should have no issues renting out your points. we have no intension of going this year so I put our point up for rent and with in a week someone rented all of them. It was nice to have the $3000 in our pocket given the fact we paid $12,000 for our contract we might just do this 3 more times and we will have recouped our investment and along with having 10 years of WDW vacation under our belt. Makes the return on investment great. And you will still get to be DVC members.

That's why I like DVC. You can rent your points out for double+ your dues when you need a break from Disney or sell at a fair price.

For those of you doing non park visits there are lots of options outside Disney.

Seaworld has a deal with the Discovery Cove, aquatica, Seaworld park that you can visit for up to 14 days. Spend a day at the resort...visit the park, swim with dolphins, relax at your resort go to waterpark.etc

Or has anyone just visited the Disney water parks...I think there is an annual pass at the water parks for like $99. You could go in the morning or late afternoon and go to a nice dinner afterwards or a movie etc.

Vero Beach is really nice......very relaxing....but touches of Disney.... there is an outlet mall nearby and a spa's too. They have activities for the kids and families like archery, volleyball, mini golf...or you can rent a bike and bike along the intercostal....very nice...but terrain is a little rough as some of way is a dirt road.

I really think our future trips to WDW will be resort only stays. It's just getting too much to spend every year on park passes. We are thinking of a trip the end of this summer to go see the new HP additions at US. :thumbsup2 We would use our DVC points for the resort, but just go to US. The prices are better for our family of four.

I'm very glad I bought 2 10-day no expiration/hopper/water parks tickets last February with my tax refund. Looking back in my gmail today I only paid $672 per person! I then went on and purchased 8 day no expiration/hopper/water park tickets a few months later before the July 2013 price increase.

I'm glad we have those 18 park visits and 18 water park visits. That'll last us a few years but were also moving towards the "resort only" short trips. My husband and I are under 30 but we don't feel the need to be in the park constantly anymore and have no plans for children. Only until his brother or sister have a kid will we do a 5 day trip again. Otherwise 2/3 night trips are a nice break from Philly's weather. Throw in a Christmas or Halloween party, one day on one of those no expiration passes, and a pool day and were set for a long time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter