Selling our DVC *Update!

Desnik

<font color=teal>I actually love packing and plann
After enjoying our DVC for almost 10 years we are selling our DVC. It was a tough decision to come to, but it makes the most sense for our family.

Although our kids are still fairly young (16 & 11) we would like to explore other destinations.

We have had many wonderful stays with our DVC, but on our past 4 trips we have had numerous problems and issues with our DVC rooms that have really put a damper on our trips. After our Disney cruise in Jan it solidifed it for us. The service we recieved and the amenities while on the ship are how we like to vacation. We simply do not recieve that at WDW anymore. It pains me to admit that because I love Disney World and have been going yearly (sometimes 2-3 times a year) for over 15 years.

We want to try more cruises, go to some islands, and do Europe in two years. We will also be buying an RV in two-three years and plan on trveling around the country. It's exciting and we are all looking foward to our new adventures.

Don't get me wrong, we will still go to Disney World, just not as often. (Especially when we get our RV, FW here we come!!) But I have to tell you, I will miss saying I am a DVC member, as silly as that sounds!

Have fun good to make the decision and start enjoying the exploring!

I think you are making a good decision to show your children other vacation options. With that said I give you a 75% chance that you will buy into DVC in about 13-18 years. When grandkids are in the picture.:goodvibes

Sometimes you just know when the time is right. Enjoy your vacations.

I just sold a big chunk of points. And I think some more are going on the market this fall. Like the OP my vacation style has changed and Disney has changed. I am keeping one contract but will be down a lot of points. :).

Best wishes and enjoy all the new planning. DVC and Disney will always be there!!

I too have sold two contracts, with the third one soon to market or about 27% of my points. I still have over 500 left, with plenty to rent out to pay dues, as well as sell more and still have a number to vacation on.

My life drastically changed in the past six months-- I have lost my only two adult children at 38 and 42. I now am raising 3 grandchildren, 14, 11, and 7. I have taken them to Disney since 2003, as well as vacationing with my children. And we still will go, just not 2 or 3 times a year as we did. It is now important that I spend more time taking them to other beautiful places around our country, like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Glacier National Park, the Smokies, -- just to name a few.

Disney has been a special place for all of us, but is time that I show them more than The Mouse.

I too have sold two contracts, with the third one soon to market or about 27% of my points. I still have over 500 left, with plenty to rent out to pay dues, as well as sell more and still have a number to vacation on.

My life drastically changed in the past six months-- I have lost my only two adult children at 38 and 42. I now am raising 3 grandchildren, 14, 11, and 7. I have taken them to Disney since 2003, as well as vacationing with my children. And we still will go, just not 2 or 3 times a year as we did. It is now important that I spend more time taking them to other beautiful places around our country, like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Glacier National Park, the Smokies, -- just to name a few.

Disney has been a special place for all of us, but is time that I show them more than The Mouse.

:hug:

We too sold our DVC last year it was a hard decision to do but we had to do it. We have four children 5, 10, 12 and 15 we enjoyed each trip but financially it was harder to pay on it each year. We still visit WDW but we stay off site in pretty much the same accommodations but at a lesser price. We also are seeking other vacation locations to take our children as well and, as others have said DVC will always be there and if financially able to do it down the road we may buy in again.

After enjoying our DVC for almost 10 years we are selling our DVC. It was a tough decision to come to, but it makes the most sense for our family.

Although our kids are still fairly young (16 & 11) we would like to explore other destinations.

We have had many wonderful stays with our DVC, but on our past 4 trips we have had numerous problems and issues with our DVC rooms that have really put a damper on our trips. After our Disney cruise in Jan it solidifed it for us. The service we recieved and the amenities while on the ship are how we like to vacation. We simply do not recieve that at WDW anymore. It pains me to admit that because I love Disney World and have been going yearly (sometimes 2-3 times a year) for over 15 years.

We want to try more cruises, go to some islands, and do Europe in two years. We will also be buying an RV in two-three years and plan on trveling around the country. It's exciting and we are all looking foward to our new adventures.

Don't get me wrong, we will still go to Disney World, just not as often. (Especially when we get our RV, FW here we come!!) But I have to tell you, I will miss saying I am a DVC member, as silly as that sounds!

We are in the same boat. We live locally, love to go to Disney, and loved DVC until recent years when the units that we have stayed in have gone progressively downhill. We own at BWV and we had a horror of a unit there over Thanksgiving. For the first time in 10+ years, we do not have BWV (or any DVC) booked for Thanksgiving because of that. We are giving it a year and then we'll be selling if we don't see a real committment to reversing the trend of not maintaining existing DVC units:(

I believe that Disney reps. read the Disboards. If Disney is reading this, I hope that they take it seriously that existing DVC owners who LOVE Disney and DVC are selling their points because of the lack of resort maintenance...not adding on, not convincing their friends to become members...SELLING. Not maintaining resorts is a big enough deal that it's making people give up on DVC:(

I am so sorry to read this. Best wishes.
:grouphug:

We have been members since 2006 and have been going multiple times a year
since then. We have decided that once a year is a good number for us so we are selling about half of our points. We need to get back to using our beach house in PCB instead of heading to the mouse every time we get a few days off.

You have to adjust for your life changes. Since we purchased a home about 20 miles from WDW we've downsized from 585 points to 210 points. It's been fun, but we no longer need that many points.

Thank you all for posting your thoughts here. I keep thinking about adding on - but we do like other vacation spots, and our lives will change - so I will stick with what I have. This will make DH so happy!

When we bought our points knowing that we could sell our DVC in the future was a major plus. Also, it seems that the DVC points hold a lot of their value as compared to looking at other timeshare type programs.

I've rented out extra points we had to payoff dues and that has worked really well too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter