Selfie sticks: Will DCL Follow

I don't own a selfie stick, but I don't see the problem with them. If people want to take pictures of themselves or their group, what do I care. I watch where I'm going, so I may have avoided any possible collisions. I have asked people to take pictures of me with my kids, but that gets old. I just got back from a 2 week trip with over 1000 pictures taken. I wasn't about to ask someone, or multiple people, to take even half of those pictures so I could be in a few.

Exactly! We all got plenty of selfies (before the term) for MySpace before narci-sticks became all the rage. You can TOTALLY live without a narci-stick.

And before someone uses the "but I want to be in the picture *whine*" argument, do what people have done for years. ASK SOMEONE AROUND YOU TO TAKE IT! If you're using a narci-stick you aren't using a complicated camera. I realize that would mean you'd have to actually talk to someone, but it always works fine for me.

Exactly as well! I am far less inconvenienced when asked to take a picture for someone than getting whacked with a selfie stick. In fact, when I see someone taking pics or trying to take a selfie (sans stick) I offer to take the pics for them. I'll rotate the camera/phone to take several pics of different perspectives, and they can choose what they want to keep at their leisure.

Exactly! We all got plenty of selfies (before the term) for MySpace before narci-sticks became all the rage. You can TOTALLY live without a narci-stick.

And before someone uses the "but I want to be in the picture *whine*" argument, do what people have done for years. ASK SOMEONE AROUND YOU TO TAKE IT! If you're using a narci-stick you aren't using a complicated camera. I realize that would mean you'd have to actually talk to someone, but it always works fine for me.

If a selfie is a must do a fake selfie. Have someone else take the pic but hold your arm up/out like its a selfie. It totally works. No sticks or looking like an idiot involved. ;)

Holding your arm out pretending to take a selfie, whilst someone else takes your picture so your don't look like an idiot?? How does that work then?
I think us 'oldies' (I'm 44 by the way) just need to tell the kids that we were taking pictures of ourselves back in the 80s and 90s. It won't seem so cool then ;-)

11220912_766675130104089_6866241815625174194_n.jpg

Holding your arm out pretending to take a selfie, whilst someone else takes your picture so your don't look like an idiot?? How does that work then?
I think us 'oldies' (I'm 44 by the way) just need to tell the kids that we were taking pictures of ourselves back in the 80s and 90s. It won't seem so cool then ;-)

Photo challenge with friends. Looks like you're reaching for your phone or doing a "YAY!" thing. It was actually suggested by a character handler at Disneyland because it's apparebtly a common problem with Pluto & his large face. We gave it a whirl. Who knew? BTW, I'm 41. ;)

I was watching people using it on the last cruise I was on. It did not bother me on the boat because they were in their own space taking a picture. My daughter has one and used it a few times. It was fun watching people take the pictures because the setup takes quite a while to do. One couple took forever to take one picture and another group laughed so much during the setup. I was just sitting in my lounger watching the whole experience.

I think people chose to record their adventures in lots of different ways. Some people like the instant picture and posting on the internet of their selfies. I guess I don't see the difference between selfies and having someone take a picture of yourself in front of something. Just my opinion.

However in the parks it's a different story because of space, views and safety. I can see why they would ban them there.

I was watching people using it on the last cruise I was on. It did not bother me on the boat because they were in their own space taking a picture. My daughter has one and used it a few times. It was fun watching people take the pictures because the setup takes quite a while to do. One couple took forever to take one picture and another group laughed so much during the setup. I was just sitting in my lounger watching the whole experience.

I think people chose to record their adventures in lots of different ways. Some people like the instant picture and posting on the internet of their selfies. I guess I don't see the difference between selfies and having someone take a picture of yourself in front of something. Just my opinion.

However in the parks it's a different story because of space, views and safety. I can see why they would ban them there.
I think the problem with selfie-sticks isn't the courteous, considerate folks. It's the people who don't see anything past their stick. Unfortunately, the latter ruins it for everyone. Stinks when that happens. You're right, tho. The perspective to document travels does vary. I shouldn't be so harsh with the selfie-stick peeps. I still wouldn't use one because it's another apparatus to tote around & I'm not that coordinated anyway. I'd be the jerk who whacks someone with it. Then I'd be mortified and look like an idiot. LOL!

Yup. Back in the old days when when people talked to other people you would ask someone to take a picture with your Kodak Instamatic.

I don't think I saw a single selfie stick on my previous cruise. I can't imagine it being banned unless it becomes a problem. That can happen when the people behind them aren't courteous.

I have a short selfie stick and used it once at WDW and Castaway Cay in 2011 so I could be in some of the pictures. I don't remember using it on the Med cruise or WDW vacation last year (Love to use the photopass instead!). I never used it in crowded places and always tried to be out of other's way. I don't think it's an effective tool. It takes many trials to get the angles right. People usually offer to take pictures for us after we have failed so many times to get the pictures we want. LOL!! However, I saw many people using Go Pro on a stick last summer at Universal Orlando and WDW. Sometimes they just stuck the camera out taking videos of the views around them. I am no longer using it on vacations anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!