• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Second star to the right and straight on til morning *TR Started*

I am pretty excited about our plans. Right now both Connor and James are OBSESSED with all things Star Wars and their number one thing to do is to meet Darth Vader. We will do that at breakfast so everything else will just be icing on the cake for them. Happy Easter to those who celebrate or Happy weekend to those who don't :upsidedow.
Awesome birthday party/reveal! I'm sure they'll love getting to meet Darth Vader. That would pretty much be the highlight for me too!

Heck, I get excited just seeing the Darth Vader scene in Star Tours!

Sounds like he had a great birthday. y'all did a good job on the decorations. You guys are going to have so much fun at DHS. Are you planning to do the Star Wars Academy? Or it there some thing similar to it for SWW?
Where in Texas is your family? I'm in the DFW area.
Happy Easter !!
Thanks! We are hoping to do JTA on a non SWW day. This will be our first experience with it so we'll see how it goes. My parents are in DFW area too. Been to Texas but not this part, we're liking it so far.

:cheer2: yay for finally getting details for sww! Looks like a great birthday!

Happy Easter to you as well.

It is a huge relief to have the details available so now planning is officially done.

How exciting!! What a great birthday!!

Thank you. Connor said it was the best birthday ever so I think it was a success.

Awesome birthday party/reveal! I'm sure they'll love getting to meet Darth Vader. That would pretty much be the highlight for me too!

Heck, I get excited just seeing the Darth Vader scene in Star Tours!

Thanks. I am just nervous that once they actually see him and how big he is they will get scared. But currently, our house is all Darth Vader all the time.

We are in Texas and I was hoping to have a Disney distraction free week but, of course that was never going to happen. I'm not sure where it was announced because I couldn't find the information from any official Disney source yesterday but, when we landed yesterday I saw an email from my TA that the feel the force package was released and she booked it for us!! This was the last thing we were waiting on and it was taken care of for us :cool1:. I guess there were two tiers the lower tier includes parade viewing with ice cream and drinks, the dessert party with alcoholic drinks, and priority access to one show. I had set my limit at $70 since last year was $54. I knew it it was over $70 we wouldn't do it but this year was $69, just made it :goodvibes. Now back to our regularly scheduled spring break:wave2:.

I had set my limit at $70 since last year was $54. I knew it it was over $70 we wouldn't do it but this year was $69, just made it :goodvibes. Now back to our regularly scheduled spring break:wave2:.
Wow... how about that luck? I'm glad it worked out for you and they got it booked! Have fun in Texas.

This was the last thing we were waiting on and it was taken care of for us :cool1:.
That was nice of her! I bet you can relax better knowing everything is locked in.

I had set my limit at $70 since last year was $54. I knew it it was over $70 we wouldn't do it but this year was $69, just made it :goodvibes.
Good because the article I saw said it was $99 per person and I was sure that meant you would probably be priced out. Glad they had a lower tier.

Hi Ashley! I'm sorry it took me so long to catch up on your report. I've missed so much good stuff! First off, your DIY items are amazing. The shirts and autograph books are so cool!

You put so much work into making it a surprise for your son, he looks so happy! It's funny how when there's a long time before the trip it's almost not real to them until it gets closer. For that reason I should have gone the surprise route but I can't keep a secret. :sad2:

Congrats on getting both BOG lunch and breakfast ADRs! I can't wait to hear how you liked the breakfast.

Your Star Wars day sounds like so much fun, the boys are going to go out of their minds!! :yay:

Wow... how about that luck? I'm glad it worked out for you and they got it booked! Have fun in Texas.
Thanks, I was seriously doubtful that the price would com in under my budget but so glad it did.

That was nice of her! I bet you can relax better knowing everything is locked in.

Good because the article I saw said it was $99 per person and I was sure that meant you would probably be priced out. Glad they had a lower tier.
Yeah, so thankful they had two tiers this year. I actually think the deluxe one is a pretty goo price but still more than I budgeted and I am sticking to it this time ;)

Hi Ashley! I'm sorry it took me so long to catch up on your report. I've missed so much good stuff! First off, your DIY items are amazing. The shirts and autograph books are so cool!

You put so much work into making it a surprise for your son, he looks so happy! It's funny how when there's a long time before the trip it's almost not real to them until it gets closer. For that reason I should have gone the surprise route but I can't keep a secret. :sad2:

Congrats on getting both BOG lunch and breakfast ADRs! I can't wait to hear how you liked the breakfast.

Your Star Wars day sounds like so much fun, the boys are going to go out of their minds!! :yay:
No worries, I am behind on a lot a TRs right now. Thanks so much, I am really proud of the DIY projects. I totally understand about the lag between the surprise and the trip. I thought he would have fun having an input but next time it will definitely be a "surprise we're going now" sort of thing. I am surprised I kept it especially since its all I talked about, luckily no one can spell yet so my DH and I talked that way. I will make sure to have a BOG breakfast review in my TR. So exciting for you only a week to go!

Did anyone ever have an idea that they thought was great and then come to realize much later it was actually terrible? That is how I am feeling about this trip. I mean from the outside this trip looks exactly like I wanted it to, perfect ADRs and FPP+s, good hotel, two dessert parties, and on and on. There is just one teensy, tiny detail I overlooked, the unpredictability of kids. I have three amazing little boys and this trip is all about what I thought would work for them. Connor is a super laid-back, go with the flow child. He generally behaves well when we are out in public and at 5 years old, he can enjoy much the parks have to offer. James is my temperamental child an has been this way his entire life. It used to make me sad that he was so unhappy as a baby. When we took him to WDW at 18 months old, I prepared for the worst and was genuinely surprised to find that for that one week, my surly baby was happy. James loves WDW and talks about it all the time and loves to watch youtubes videos of it and look at our pictures. So, I hoped that my in the height of terrible twos child would once again get some pixie dust and be happy at WDW. Yeah, I don't have that hope anymore. On our trip to Texas last week, it was a nightmare. I have somehow managed to avoid a public toddler tantrum for five years and last week I broke that streak. We took the boys to this Day out with Thomas thing and were there for about two hours. In two hours, James had 5 full-on, throw himself on the ground, screaming bloody murder tantrums. And that wasn't only one place, we had tantrums at the aquarium, restaurants, the airport, my parents house. Pretty much anywhere he could have a meltdown, he did and I have a feeling no amount of Disney magic is going to save us this time:sad2:. Last, there is Nicholas, and the main reason we originally wanted to wait to go back to Disney. I mean taking a baby to Disney didn't sound like fun. Except, he is the most relaxed, easy-going baby anyone could ever hope to have. I mean this kid doesn't even cry when he gets shots. Last week however, he decided that he wasn't going to be sleeping in a car seat or stroller anymore, he hates the stroller and will scream if you try to put him in it, and he refuses to eat any food table or baby and still needs to nurse every three hours because of this :faint:. So here I am, seriously questioning my sanity about this trip. The silver lining? At least now I know and can be prepared. I have to go back and tweak all my touring plans and think of backup plans for all these new scenarios. I have talked about it with DH and he eased my fears somewhat saying that no matter what we will make due and still have a great vacation. Worst case scenario, we will alternate taking Connor to the parks while the littles stay behind. Any kind words or tips are most welcome at this point :).
Not to have this whole post be a downer, I wanted to share some pictures of the fun we did have last week.

Awa :hug: sounds like you've hit a bit of a rough patch. Honestly, if little miss was acting like either child I would be strongly suspecting growth spurts and teething. Both can cause trouble with sleeping which causes irritability and actually makes it harder to fall asleep and get good rest. I'll cross my fingers and hope for your sake that that's all this is. If so then there is a good chance they will have recovered from it by the time you get to the trip.

There is just one teensy, tiny detail I overlooked, the unpredictability of kids.
::yes:: They can always be counted on to do the unexpected. Back up plans are always a good idea.

I have somehow managed to avoid a public toddler tantrum for five years and last week I broke that streak.
Well it was bound to happen sometime. :faint::thumbsup2
Last week however, he decided that he wasn't going to be sleeping in a car seat or stroller anymore, he hates the stroller and will scream if you try to put him in it, and he refuses to eat any food table or baby and still needs to nurse every three hours because of this :faint:.
Seriously sounds like cutting teeth. Try some infant advil right before the last feed of the night.

The silver lining? At least now I know and can be prepared.
::yes:: Always good to be prepared.

I have talked about it with DH and he eased my fears somewhat saying that no matter what we will make due and still have a great vacation.
::yes:: Besides, never underestimate the power of the magic of Disney!

Oh yuck. :crazy2: :faint:

I'm sorry you had such a rough time. Hopefully they'll do better for you at WDW. That's the thing with kids that age, you just never know from one trip to the next.

Hopefully you can work things out while you're there so that you can all manage to have some fun. I'm sure you will one way or another.

And as @Gracefulskinny mentioned, never discount that Disney magic. It really does work.

It won't be perfect. There will be meltdowns. There are ALWAYS meltdowns. But don't give up hope. I'm sure you'll do just fine and make some great memories.

Awa :hug: sounds like you've hit a bit of a rough patch. Honestly, if little miss was acting like either child I would be strongly suspecting growth spurts and teething. Both can cause trouble with sleeping which causes irritability and actually makes it harder to fall asleep and get good rest. I'll cross my fingers and hope for your sake that that's all this is. If so then there is a good chance they will have recovered from it by the time you get to the trip.

::yes:: They can always be counted on to do the unexpected. Back up plans are always a good idea.

Well it was bound to happen sometime. :faint::thumbsup2

Seriously sounds like cutting teeth. Try some infant advil right before the last feed of the night.

::yes:: Always good to be prepared.

::yes:: Besides, never underestimate the power of the magic of Disney!
That's the thing, I know he is teething but now that we are back home he is still teething an back to his happy self. This makes me think it had more to do with being off his routine and away from home which is scary. I have parred own our plans so we can either be at the baby care center or in the room for his naps. It sucks but it is what it is.

Oh yuck. :crazy2: :faint:

I'm sorry you had such a rough time. Hopefully they'll do better for you at WDW. That's the thing with kids that age, you just never know from one trip to the next.

Hopefully you can work things out while you're there so that you can all manage to have some fun. I'm sure you will one way or another.

And as @Gracefulskinny mentioned, never discount that Disney magic. It really does work.

It won't be perfect. There will be meltdowns. There are ALWAYS meltdowns. But don't give up hope. I'm sure you'll do just fine and make some great memories.
Thanks, you both said exactly what I needed to hear. I hope your both right and we can get some Disney magic. We will do everything we can to make sure everyone can have a good time.

Oh, I'm sorry you're having second thoughts about the trip. I'm also sorry that you had such a tough time on your vacation last week. :sad2: I can totally relate.

On our last trip we had several moments like that with our younger DS who was 4 at the time. I remember a couple of truly memorable meltdowns at Epcot and HS. The good thing about Disney is that there lots of parents and kids who are going through the same thing so it doesn't feel as bad as it does in public outside of Disney (in my experience). Also, there are a lot of distractions like CMs, characters, etc. that you don't find in other places if that makes sense.

I remember at HS we could tell he was getting really tired of walking which was making him cranky but didn't want a stroller because it was for "babies." Out of the blue my DH suggested that we rent a "kid car" and that was enough for him. He rode in the rented stroller for the rest of the day. I guess my point is to try not to get frustrated, try different things and maybe something will work.

I think it's great that you're willing to split up at times to make it easier. I was unwilling to do that and I think I made it a little harder on myself.

Since you asked for tips I thought I'd share what worked for us. I'm sure you will have a great time, don't worry about it too much. I know, easier said than done. When I look back at that last trip the worst part was when I got frustrated and lost my cool but mostly I just remember how much fun we had. :goodvibes

I feel your pain! My son is 3 years old and he has been going through some terrible tantrums lately, to the point I dread going out. I think your plan with your husband to take turns going with your oldest is a great idea. I also recommend utilizing the Baby Centers not just for the smallest one but also for the others...it's a great place to just calm down and cool off and get away from the over-stimulation. At this age the kids will definitely dictate the trip and what direction is goes in, but I think the divide and conquer approach is good and I'm sure you will handle everything beautifully!

Maybe that was good timing for the Magic Bands to arrive? Just when you feel a little down about the trip... BAM!

I'm glad that Connor is getting excited about it all, and good idea for the countdown.

Hang in there! Take a deep breath! It will all work out!

Or it could be that they were a bit extra painfully at that time. I'll cross my fingers that he cuts these before the trip starts.
Thanks, I really hope that is all it is. Teething sucks!

Oh, I'm sorry you're having second thoughts about the trip. I'm also sorry that you had such a tough time on your vacation last week. :sad2: I can totally relate.

On our last trip we had several moments like that with our younger DS who was 4 at the time. I remember a couple of truly memorable meltdowns at Epcot and HS. The good thing about Disney is that there lots of parents and kids who are going through the same thing so it doesn't feel as bad as it does in public outside of Disney (in my experience). Also, there are a lot of distractions like CMs, characters, etc. that you don't find in other places if that makes sense.

I remember at HS we could tell he was getting really tired of walking which was making him cranky but didn't want a stroller because it was for "babies." Out of the blue my DH suggested that we rent a "kid car" and that was enough for him. He rode in the rented stroller for the rest of the day. I guess my point is to try not to get frustrated, try different things and maybe something will work.

I think it's great that you're willing to split up at times to make it easier. I was unwilling to do that and I think I made it a little harder on myself.

Since you asked for tips I thought I'd share what worked for us. I'm sure you will have a great time, don't worry about it too much. I know, easier said than done. When I look back at that last trip the worst part was when I got frustrated and lost my cool but mostly I just remember how much fun we had. :goodvibes
Thank you! This is incredibly reassuring. The funny thing was kid were having meltdowns right and left at this Thomas thing and yet every time people would stare with their judgy eyes :headache:. We will do what we can and make the best of any situation but like you I get frustrated and it is my goal to avoid that this trip.

I feel your pain! My son is 3 years old and he has been going through some terrible tantrums lately, to the point I dread going out. I think your plan with your husband to take turns going with your oldest is a great idea. I also recommend utilizing the Baby Centers not just for the smallest one but also for the others...it's a great place to just calm down and cool off and get away from the over-stimulation. At this age the kids will definitely dictate the trip and what direction is goes in, but I think the divide and conquer approach is good and I'm sure you will handle everything beautifully!
Thank you, I am definitely planning on using the baby care centers but didn't think about it with James. I am hoping we won't have to split up but it is the best plan if things start going own hill.

Maybe that was good timing for the Magic Bands to arrive? Just when you feel a little down about the trip... BAM!

I'm glad that Connor is getting excited about it all, and good idea for the countdown.
That's a great way to look at it because it sure did get my spirits up. I was starting to dread this trip an now I am optimistic again but I think all the wonderful comments here helped too.

Hang in there! Take a deep breath! It will all work out!
Thank you :D!

Thank you! This is incredibly reassuring. The funny thing was kid were having meltdowns right and left at this Thomas thing and yet every time people would stare with their judgy eyes :headache:. We will do what we can and make the best of any situation but like you I get frustrated and it is my goal to avoid that this trip.

I just have to say that those "judgy eyes" is the reason we go to Disney. When we had our first son we would just go to the same places we used to go and we'd get those eyes that you're talking about. I am so happy that we decided to try Disney because I never felt that at Disney. We definitely had the meltdowns and the same frustrations but I never felt like I was being judged at Disney. Just my $.02. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter