• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Seasonal CM after CP? I have questions that I would love to get answers from!

Wishes91

Mouseketeer
My second program doesn't start until August 8th, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling and see what I need to do. In 2010, I got sick way too much and it prohibited me from extending as a character performer and/or going seasonal. :( Now that I have a second chance, I want to know now what I need to do so I can go seasonal! Someone told me that after your program ends you have to have availability for four weeks. Is that accurate? So after my CP ends on January 4th, if I don't extend into another program, I have to stay down there for four weeks???

If that is not accurate, what are the guidelines for seasonal employment other than meeting the transfer guidelines (1 reprimand and 3 pts).

In order to qualify for seasonal you need to be in good standing at the end of your program.

Each department is a little different, some automatically turn you seasonal, some have limited spots and will only keep select CPs, and others take no one.

Ask your managers what their seasonal process is like and if you need to do anything to request being seasonal.

Once you are seasonal, you need to work a minimum of 150 hours on a rolling calendar. Meaning that you have your first year to get that 150 (based on the date you become seasonal), and you have to maintain 150 at all times going forward.

I work at an elementary school and I would love to work at Disney World for the summer then on breaks from school. How long do you have to be available to start seasonal? What are any other rules and/or information about becoming a seasonal cast member? Thanks!

I was hired as Seasonal last June (and attended Traditions with 2 teachers :)). You have to provide full availability for either 8 or 10 weeks for training (I can't remember now), and then work 150 hours per year as Berlioz70 stated above.

Also, how many hours do you usually get for your initial 8-10 weeks? Is is full time or part time or do you have any choice in hours at all?

I work Merchandise in the MK so I don't know how other areas work, but I had to put full availability, which means they can schedule you whenever they want/need you. I ended up working 5 days/week, usually 6-7 hour shifts, so about 30-35 hours/week. I also worked mostly at night (closing), which was as late as 4:45 am on EMH nights. :eek: That was fine with me because I prefer nights, but not everyone does.

Can I thread-jack and ask....Why not go PT after the CP instead of just seasonal? What is the difference? I plan on either extending my CP, going FT, PT, or if I have too, seasonal (I plan on staying in FL permanently). Is there a max amount of hours you can work? I could do 150 easily if I plan on staying down there, but how often do they schedule you?

From the answer above seasonal sounds similar to the CP, they fill you in where they need you (Shift and hour -wise similarities, anyway) Does seasonal get paid more?

Sorry to thread-jack. && Thank you :)

PT must give availability for I think 3 days a week. So for me going to school in California going PT after my program wasn't really an option.

I'm about halfway through my second week as seasonal and I was scheduled about 24 hours my first two weeks and 0 the third. So it's kind of a crapshoot. I work in MK Attractions, for the record. Also I make about 60 cents an hour more than I did as a CP.

The main difference between being seasonal and CP is CPs are guaranteed a minimum number of hours.

I have never heard that when you go Seasonal you have to stay for 4 weeks. Just make sure you let your area leadership know you want to go Seasonal. It seems some areas have different rules on who they allow to be Seasonal, but company-wise you only have to meet transfer guidelines.

Seasonal CMs get whatever shifts are left, so that could mean 60 hours, or that could mean 0. However, if you pick a role like Merchandise or F&B, you can pick up additional hours in other locations.

There isn't really a limit of hours a Seasonal (or part time) CM can work weekly, but you can get "capped" if you work more than 25 hours for 28 weeks in a year. When you are capped you can only be scheduled under 25 hours a week.

Also, some roles require that you work every 6 months (this is the case with attractions).

Depends on your role, location, etc. My friend went part time right after her program and just got fulltime 4months later.

So is FT the exception or the norm after a CP?

How many Exceptional Service (I think that's what they're called?) cards should I shoot for?

So is FT the exception or the norm after a CP?

How many Exceptional Service (I think that's what they're called?) cards should I shoot for?

It really depends on the location you want, and how their staffing is. That will help determine how long you will wait

I have never heard that when you go Seasonal you have to stay for 4 weeks. Just make sure you let your area leadership know you want to go Seasonal. It seems some areas have different rules on who they allow to be Seasonal, but company-wise you only have to meet transfer guidelines.

Seasonal CMs get whatever shifts are left, so that could mean 60 hours, or that could mean 0. However, if you pick a role like Merchandise or F&B, you can pick up additional hours in other locations.

There isn't really a limit of hours a Seasonal (or part time) CM can work weekly, but you can get "capped" if you work more than 25 hours for 28 weeks in a year. When you are capped you can only be scheduled under 25 hours a week.

So, you're saying that I wouldn't be able to work more then 25 hours within 7 months?!? As part time? That's ridiculous, if I'm reading it right. I'm guessing most employees are FT, then? Or do you mean, they cap you once you have worked over 25 hours a week for 28 weeks? Yes?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter