• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sea lice or Jelly fish spray

jannylynn

Mouseketeer
Is this something we need for a cruise in June? Is it even possible to find it locally if I'm in the midwest? Or can I pick it up easily in FL at Walgreens? I'd like to return it if we don't use it. I'm sure my midwestern Walgreens will be thrilled. Lol!

Is this something we need for a cruise in June? Is it even possible to find it locally if I'm in the midwest? Or can I pick it up easily in FL at Walgreens? I'd like to return it if we don't use it. I'm sure my midwestern Walgreens will be thrilled. Lol!
We've never used it.

It's called Sea Safe. If you Google it, it will help you find out where you can get it.

Most miserable week of my life...covered in sea lice bites. Over 50. And on my honeymoon. I wanted to get a knife and cut out the bites, I was almost delirious. If you plan on getting in the caribbean water, for the love of everything good and holy, bring something to stop from getting sea lice. I've spent my entire life on the coast swimming in the sea but never had gone to the bahamas. One visit was all it took. I'm still slightly traumatized and it was over 15 years ago. :flower:

Ack! It doesn't look like I can order it in soon enough without spending a lot! Hopefully I'll find it in FL.

I'mtoo last minute on this one.

Someone mentioned it is sold onboard, too. I don't recall seeing it but wasn't looking.
We didn't experience sea lice in September but it might be different in June. Good luck!

We purchased the smallest bottle for our trip and had plenty for 2 people. Personally, I'd purchase before you go. Maybe do a free trial of prime on amazon for 2-day free shipping?

I live in FL and never heard of it until this board. You may be able to find it in a surf or outdoors shop here, but not a regular drug store. We ordered a bottle online before the cruise, but we did see it for sale @ Castaway Cay.

Same here, bought it on the Dream in April. It was something like 18$ a bottle but what is 18$ compared to a thousands of dollars vacation ruined by stings?

It directs you to apply before entering the water so you would not be able to return an unused product. our past two trips were in mid May and we never experienced a problem at Serenity Bay.

It was for sale on the Wonder and on CC. We were on CC in April - didn't use it and didn't need it. I wonder if it is more common in certain areas of CC.

Have a fabulous trip!

Heard it was not a problem on Castaway Cay if you stayed in boundary. My guess is they sweep or do some preventative measures to keep them out, not just for the guests but for the stingrays that live there.

I've never heard of sea lice! ? Is it a certain time of year they are a problem on CC?
I hadn't either so I've been researching a bit. It sounds like the worst season is June-August but they can be an issue anytime. Basically they are jellyfish larvae that "sting" when aggravated - in other words, when trapped between skin and swimsuit, mainly. Some people react more strongly than others, but it sounds like it can be miserable for some people!

We've never used Sea Safe or taken other precautions at CC and have had no trouble, but now I'm thinking twice...just in case. Maybe we've just been lucky before?!

We were just at CC last Friday. We were in the water all day, including snorkeling. Ten in our group and no problems at all with sea lice. Only issue we had was very rocky sea floor. Ouch!

Heard it was not a problem on Castaway Cay if you stayed in boundary. My guess is they sweep or do some preventative measures to keep them out, not just for the guests but for the stingrays that live there.

Sea lice are tiny jellyfish larva. They cannot be "swept" out of the water. They are an issue at CC in certain areas at certain times of the year. I've heard the Pelican Plunge area has had them. They are most prevalent in the summer months, beginning in May.

We went on Mothers day weekend and one of the little boys in our group got stung by them numerous times but for some reason, he was the only one. He was mostly swimming in the little lagoon in front of cabanas 14-21.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter