Scotland Meets Thread (formerly Scotland: A Brave Adventure)

I just talked to ABD, and the guides for the 8/3 Adventure will be Lenore (didn't get a last name) and Michael Rodriguez. I know all the guides are excellent, but has anyone had any personal experiences with either Lenore or Michael? My entire family is so excited for our adventure to begin!! Thanks for all the tips!

Michael is one of the most senior ABD guides. He's done many Southern CA, Peru, and Costa Rica trips, so I'm sure many people on the forum have experience with him. He was our guide on our first ABD. He's great! Most memorable moment - Michael, who had a broken arm at the time, and our bus driver lifted a car that was blocking the road and moved it out of the way so the bus could pass. I haven't done the Scotland ABD but I ran into him a couple of times in Edinburgh a few weeks ago and he introduced us to Lenora. Don't have any experience with her, but she seemed very nice. I'm sure some of the folks who have done the Scotland trip this summer can comment on her.

I just talked to ABD, and the guides for the 8/3 Adventure will be Lenore (didn't get a last name) and Michael Rodriguez. I know all the guides are excellent, but has anyone had any personal experiences with either Lenore or Michael? My entire family is so excited for our adventure to begin!! Thanks for all the tips!

It was our first experience with both--and we liked them. The difference this time was that both were American, rather than one being from the US and the other being local. Lenore just spent the last couple of weeks bopping around Scotland to learn more about the country--so it will be interesting to hear about her experiences! Both are great with guests--very attentive; I would say of the two Lenore is more detail and Michael more whimsical--both good with the kids, too. No toner time...but they have lots of snacks and other surprises!

It was our first experience with both--and we liked them. The difference this time was that both were American, rather than one being from the US and the other being local. Lenore just spent the last couple of weeks bopping around Scotland to learn more about the country--so it will be interesting to hear about her experiences! Both are great with guests--very attentive; I would say of the two Lenore is more detail and Michael more whimsical--both good with the kids, too. No toner time...but they have lots of snacks and other surprises!

I'm beyond excited to meet both Michael and Lenora, but I agree that having one guide from the country you're visiting is a real plus. On our ABD trip to China, my daughter, who was adopted from China as a baby, really bonded with our wonderful Chinese guide. (And granted the dynamics there were a bit different than most.) They exchanged email addresses, and Huan was wonderful about emailing with my daughter for several years.

One more question about the Scotland trip...did anyone buy a quaich? And if so, where did you find it? That's one souvenir that I'd really like to get. Along those lines, if previous travelers can recommend shops for souvenirs of any sort, that would be great!

Michael was our guide in Peru and we thought he was great! He's been a guide for a long time and is really good with all the adults and kids.

One more question about the Scotland trip...did anyone buy a quaich? And if so, where did you find it? That's one souvenir that I'd really like to get. Along those lines, if previous travelers can recommend shops for souvenirs of any sort, that would be great!

I didn't see a quaich but it isn't something I looked for. Some souvenirs you might want to get - kilts, kilts and more kilts. They are everywhere! Anything tartan for sure, lambs wool products and cashmere. There is a nice store right at the entrance of Edinburgh Castle (I can give you the name of the store later if you wish) who I think has a good collection of cashmere products. Price is also decent.

You might find a quaich in Fort William where you stop for lunch. They have Scottish crystal in the store so a quaich may be available too. Harry Tweed products are another souvenir suggestion. DD and I are big Cumberbatch.... er... Sherlock fans so she got a deer hat. There are nice wool coats (Stornoway in Isle of Lewis) but just too heavy for packing.

Hope that helped. :) Enjoy your trip!!

I didn't see a quaich but it isn't something I looked for. Some souvenirs you might want to get - kilts, kilts and more kilts. They are everywhere! Anything tartan for sure, lambs wool products and cashmere. There is a nice store right at the entrance of Edinburgh Castle (I can give you the name of the store later if you wish) who I think has a good collection of cashmere products. Price is also decent.

You might find a quaich in Fort William where you stop for lunch. They have Scottish crystal in the store so a quaich may be available too. Harry Tweed products are another souvenir suggestion. DD and I are big Cumberbatch.... er... Sherlock fans so she got a deer hat. There are nice wool coats (Stornoway in Isle of Lewis) but just too heavy for packing.

Hope that helped. :) Enjoy your trip!!

Thanks for the suggestions! We're off to Scotland shortly!

And I just remembered, other things you might want to consider is jewelry. They have a number of Celtic designs which you can find on the Royal Mile, Portree or in the Isle of Lewis. There is a Hebridean jewelry store near the restaurant where you will have lunch which you can check out. In Portree, you can also look for jewelry made with Skye marble which they claim to be millions of years old.

I'm beyond excited to meet both Michael and Lenora, but I agree that having one guide from the country you're visiting is a real plus. On our ABD trip to China, my daughter, who was adopted from China as a baby, really bonded with our wonderful Chinese guide. (And granted the dynamics there were a bit different than most.) They exchanged email addresses, and Huan was wonderful about emailing with my daughter for several years.

I have always been able to buy quaichs at local jewellers. Perhaps some locals could recommend some good jewellers. Jewellers should also have some nice Celtic and Mackintosh designs.

Thanks, WeLoveABD! That all sounds good! :thumbsup2

I'm posting a picture of it with my original iPad in it (which is larger than my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro, which is what I've been carrying in it. It's an original iPad, so it's fairly large). It's definitely not what I'd call a document case, but maybe it is for you. :)

P1000197_zps1debb215.jpg

P1000200_zps4d865ed3.jpg

Hope that helps!

Sayhello

Thanks so much, Sayhello. So kind of you to post the pictures. I finally got my box this past Friday (2 weeks prior to departure...I think that's the latest I've ever received a box from ABD...lol). Love all of the new stuff!!!! I agree with you...not really a document case per se, but given the challenge, I can turn it into one. :rotfl2: Thank you again. Getting so excited. Have loved reading others trip reports and also packing suggestions. Very helpful.

So, for those who have been to Scotland or are from there, one of the things I'm interested in getting as a souvenir would be a sweater or some other sort of knitted apparel. Any suggestions as to where the best shopping for something like that would be?

Thanks!
Sayhello

So, for those who have been to Scotland or are from there, one of the things I'm interested in getting as a souvenir would be a sweater or some other sort of knitted apparel. Any suggestions as to where the best shopping for something like that would be?

Thanks!
Sayhello

I got a great Fair Isle sweater at the gift shop above the Isle of Skye Bakery where you do the scone making.

Thanks!
Sayhello

There are many knitted products in the stores along the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. That is probably your best place to shop. The other shops along the way are either small or just no time to completely browse (like the stop you will make on the way to Portree). I didn't really look for lamb's wool knits (which I assume you are asking about) since wool makes me really itchy. Just remember, their wool sweaters are bulky and heavy so you might want to allow some room in your luggage. I am more partial to cashmere since they are lighter and not itchy at all. Again, there are a number of stores along the Royal Mile who sells cashmere products. They are more pricey though. The shop I mentioned earlier that is right at the entrance of Edinburgh Castle has a good collection of cashmere sweaters and some mixed with wool. Their cashmere also feels of better quality. Other stores sell cashmere for less but if you feel the texture, it's not of good quality.

Oh, I just remember, you might have time to shop in Inverness. There are lots of shops there too but didn't have the time to browse.

Happy shopping! :)

I bought a cute little neck/head scarf at Dun Carloway Broch (there is a tiny gift store). They said it was knitted by a lady that lived over the hill. I thought. "well, you can't get anymore authentic than that!!" :) And it was easy to pack!

I got a great Fair Isle sweater at the gift shop above the Isle of Skye Bakery where you do the scone making.
Ooo, a Fair Isle sweater! I'll keep that in mind. Thanks, Calfan!

There are many knitted products in the stores along the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. That is probably your best place to shop. The other shops along the way are either small or just no time to completely browse (like the stop you will make on the way to Portree). I didn't really look for lamb's wool knits (which I assume you are asking about) since wool makes me really itchy. Just remember, their wool sweaters are bulky and heavy so you might want to allow some room in your luggage. I am more partial to cashmere since they are lighter and not itchy at all. Again, there are a number of stores along the Royal Mile who sells cashmere products. They are more pricey though. The shop I mentioned earlier that is right at the entrance of Edinburgh Castle has a good collection of cashmere sweaters and some mixed with wool. Their cashmere also feels of better quality. Other stores sell cashmere for less but if you feel the texture, it's not of good quality.

Oh, I just remember, you might have time to shop in Inverness. There are lots of shops there too but didn't have the time to browse.

Happy shopping! :)
Thanks, tufbuf. For me, it really depends on the wool. So I'll have to check them out (I *love* Merino wool!) And I'm willing to pay more for quality cashmere, so I'll at least *consider* those. :) Thanks for the hints!

I bought a cute little neck/head scarf at Dun Carloway Broch (there is a tiny gift store). They said it was knitted by a lady that lived over the hill. I thought. "well, you can't get anymore authentic than that!!" :) And it was easy to pack!
"Lives over the Hill" is definitely a good sign! :) I'll keep that in mind, too! Thanks, jjharts!

Scotland *and* retail therapy! Yay!

Sayhello

Ooo, a Fair Isle sweater! I'll keep that in mind. Thanks, Calfan!

Thanks, tufbuf. For me, it really depends on the wool. So I'll have to check them out (I *love* Merino wool!) And I'm willing to pay more for quality cashmere, so I'll at least *consider* those. :) Thanks for the hints!

"Lives over the Hill" is definitely a good sign! :) I'll keep that in mind, too! Thanks, jjharts!

Scotland *and* retail therapy! Yay!

Sayhello
Or shop on isle of Lewis and get Harris Tweed-sufficient time to shop there after lunch

Or shop on isle of Lewis and get Harris Twead-sufficient time to shop there after lunch

Yes! I got a beautiful Harris tweed coat (subtle red tartan pattern) at the Harris tweed shop in Stornoway on Lewis.

Thanks!
Sayhello

I got my clan scarf on the Royal Mile. Scarfs are everywhere - lol. And then it seemed like the place where we made Scones had a local gift shop upstairs and several people bought some things there. I did not find out about it until the end so never made it up there. There is also a small gift shop at the Callanish Stones site. These are in addition to what everyone else has mentioned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter