Scotland Meets Thread (formerly Scotland: A Brave Adventure)

Up by the Apex Waterloo you will find Howies, I've eaten there its good and not too expensive for that "too tired to go far meal".

http://www.howies.uk.com/
Ooo, yum! Looks god. Thanks! :thumbsup2 *adds to the list*.

Also agree with Deacon Brodies but be aware you will probably have to wait for a table as its very busy. We elected to share with a lovely Canadian couple we met in the queue which meant we both got a table quicker. I had taken a visitor on the on/off bus tour of the city which stopped outside and the driver recommended it.

http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/deaconbrodiestavernroyalmileedinburgh/

You have me wondering about lemonade in a tin now, I'm off to browse the shelves in Tesco online groceries :thumbsup2
Thanks for the warning for Deacon Brodies. I tend to expect to wait, and then I'm pleasantly surprised if I don't have to! ;)

Let me know if you figure out about the lemonade!

and now I've googled Martone, I'm drooling over their ice creams, let me know if you want company to visit there :thumbsup2

http://martone-edinburgh.co.uk/index.php
Well, I'd love to meet you there and have some ice cream & conversation! I'll PM you what my schedule looks like! That would be fun!

Sayhello

YAY! I got my box today! Light draw-string laundry bag, tote bag, leather luggage tags, tablet-sized carrying bag, paper luggage tags and Adventure Handbook! I may eventually actually go on this trip! :rotfl::thumbsup2

Sayhello

YAY! I got my box today! Light draw-string laundry bag, tote bag, leather luggage tags, tablet-sized carrying bag, paper luggage tags and Adventure Handbook! I may eventually actually go on this trip! :rotfl::thumbsup2

Sayhello

It'll be great! I have finished a trip report (no photos--haven't figured that out yet, but tufbuf may supplement it with photos). Should get it on the disboard shortly...

It'll be great! I have finished a trip report (no photos--haven't figured that out yet, but tufbuf may supplement it with photos). Should get it on the disboard shortly...
:cool1: Just to warn you, I *may* not read it in depth until after I get back. I've forgotten a lot of the details from last years' reports, and I kind of want to keep it that way for more surprises. But I *will* read it eventually! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

:cool1: Just to warn you, I *may* not read it in depth until after I get back. I've forgotten a lot of the details from last years' reports, and I kind of want to keep it that way for more surprises. But I *will* read it eventually! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

You should! It's an awesome trip report without giving much away (in terms of surprises). I will work on getting the photos incorporated on the text when I get home from work lunch time.

You should! It's an awesome trip report without giving much away (in terms of surprises). I will work on getting the photos incorporated on the text when I get home from work lunch time.
Hmmmm.... :) We shall see! ;)

Sayhello

YAY! I got my box today! Light draw-string laundry bag, tote bag, leather luggage tags, tablet-sized carrying bag, paper luggage tags and Adventure Handbook! I may eventually actually go on this trip! :rotfl::thumbsup2 Sayhello

We got our ABD box today. We are really looking forward to our trip to Scotland.

It is in the trip reports--8 links, filled with your great photos tufbuf! :woohoo:

My attempt to meld great tufbuf photos with my text failed--for now. I'll get it figured out and hopefully there will be an accessible trip report soon. In the meantime--sorry about this--here is my loooooong (but complete) text trip report

ABD Scotland Trip Report (June 29-July 7, 2014)

We like to have a few pre-days before an ABD trip, especially where there is a significant time difference (8 hours, for this trip). Plus we want to give additional time on the front end in case we have to deal with lost luggage or delayed flights.

This time around, we went to Northern Ireland (Belfast), flying on United from San Diego to Newark, then Newark to Belfast. We left on Monday (23rd) and arrived in Belfast late morning on Tuesday. There are buses (with luggage racks) that leave from just outside the baggage terminal that go to the bus station in downtown Belfast—which is on the back side of the Europa Hotel, where we stayed for three nights. Excellent hotel, very central location—much of what we wanted to see was walkable from this hotel.

Tips: Rick Steves’ book on Northern Ireland was an excellent guide. Northern Ireland and England share the same coins but NI has its own bills (same value as the British Pound)—but it will be difficult to use the NI bills outside of NI, so be sure to either spend them or exchange them before you leave. Merchants DO accept British Pound notes. We decided to get pounds before leaving the states (from Travelex)—enough to avoid their standard fees, although the exchange rate wasn’t great. However, we had sufficient currency for the entire trip to avoid relying upon ATMs; we also found a credit card (with chip) that did not charge a transaction fee for each use overseas. (We brought backup cards—also all with chips—just in case). (For guide tips, we brought them in envelopes and stored them away in hotel safes—all in US currency; it was also our emergency backup cash should we have needed it—and if we had British pounds left at the end of the trip, we could put that into the tip envelopes and take out some of the US currency to take back home with us).

We did all we could to stay awake on Tuesday until evening, to fight through jet lag. We mostly walked the inner city—as it happens, the Queen was in Belfast and her motorcade passed us by as we walked to City Hall. Highly recommend taking the free tour of City Hall (you need to reserve a time), and seeing the Linen Library (also free)—it has interesting posters on the walls relating to the Troubles. Large modern mall is nearby (Victoria Square) with a great view of the city from its central tower. An old saloon is across from the Eurpoa (called the Crown Liquor Store)—worth a look inside, and the food is very good.

Belfast Attractions Tour

We booked in advance an all day tour with a private driver/car (for 4) to see the Giant’s Causeway, Dunluce castle ruins, the Titanic shipyard and the area murals (for both sides—Protestant and Catholic, or Royal and Independent). Our guide was great—could not have gotten a more detailed review of the political turmoil that has rocked Belfast over the decades. We also stopped for lunch (with food our guide brought—homemade sandwiches!), and saw various locations used for Game of Thrones (the main studio is near the shipyard/Titanic Museum, and we strolled the Dark Hedges which is used in the series).

By the time Thursday rolled around, we were all in the correct time zone. We walked to the Queen’s Museum and spent a good deal of time enjoying the Botanical Gardens (and Palm House green house) next to the University. On the other end of the gardens was the Ulster Museum, which had a terrific art exhibit on the Troubles—very moving, especially after our tour the day before. Lunch at a Steves’ recommended place called Maggie May’s (very good), and then later a walk to City Hall for our tour and then over to St. Anne’s Cathedral for a self-tour. Place across from the hotel called “Jazz Pizza” was great. That evening, DW and I went to a play (WWI-era setting, called “Birdsong”) at the opera house next door to the Europa.

Onward to Edinburgh

Spent off our Belfast bucks at the airport (on a breakfast sandwich called “bops”), then flew Easyjet for a short flight to Edinburgh. The tram (with baggage racks) from the airport to city center was clean, efficient and much cheaper than cabs. (While the tram is easy, it has interrupted the flow of vehicle traffic in and out of Edinburgh). We walked a few blocks from the tram stop to our pre-ABD hotel, Apex Waterloo (much less than the Balmoral, but only a few blocks away). The Apex had lots of nice amenities, including free snacks, coupons for use in the restaurant and bar, small gym and pool/sauna. It was also a 5 minute walk to the Carton Hill area, which has fantastic views of the city. (There was a student-run art/music show in the old observatory in Carton Hill).

We had a late lunch reservation at The Witchery (in the Secret Garden)—reservations can be made on line and it is recommended. It was expensive. And while it is a “must do” stop, I was not wow’d by the interior—the garden room area is not as lush as I had imagined. We followed our 3 pm reservation with a 5 pm Real Mary King’s Close tour, which was cheesy fun.

Tip: most credit cards are put into a hand-held machine; needs to stay in the machine until it gets properly read (at a store I put the card in and pulled it right out—messed everything up and a manager had to be called). Also—if you are leaving a tip (usually 10 percent), let the waiter know as otherwise the card will only be charged for the pre-tip amount and then you’ll need cash for the tip (or run).

It was light out past 10 pm, so while the kids enjoyed the hotel pool/TV, DW and I walked the area—mostly the Royal Mile and Princess Street. If you have time, stroll the park along Princes Street (behind the Scott Memorial)—it was once a lake (loch), and is below street level.

Outward from Edinburgh

Another great thing about the Apex Waterloo was its convenient location to the tour bus stop, right across the street. We had booked in advance a tour with the highly recommended “Heart of Scotland” tour company. We spent our Saturday on this tour, going through the Borders to Rosslyn Chapel (featured in “Da Vinci Code” and in the movie), a stop in the town of Melrose (where we went from market to market to put together a great picnic lunch), through the lowlands into England and Hadrian’s Wall (to a section where we could walk on the wall). Cool weather, but no rain when we were out and about. We returned around 7:30 and went to an Italian restaurant next to the Apex called “Martone” (excellent food—and we thought it was reasonably priced; we were, however, too full for gelato).

Just About ABD Time

Sunday morning we had b’fast in our room with food we got the night before at a nearby Tesco supermarket (there are refrigerators in the rooms). Walked a couple of blocks with our bags to the Balmoral. We met up with our friends (two families we met on the Greece ABD) and took Bus 22 (right out front of the Balmoral) to its end—the harbor area, where the Royal Yacht Britannia was located. Had a wonderful lunch on board (with tea, desserts), then took the tour. The ship is aside a mall, so everyone walked the mall a bit after the tour, before busing back to the Balmoral. The hotel has a fantastic gym—large indoor pool, sauna, steam room and four rooms of exercise equipment.

Tip: there are no coffee makers in the room; however, coffee is made in the gym (which opens up at 6:30)—and newspapers are available there as well. (And tea, and fruit).

We met the group (40 total, including a family group of 12) and our guides, Michael and Lenora. Dinner in the hotel.

ABD Starts!

The one thing different on this ABD trip was having two American guides, rather than one from the US and one from Scotland. Both guides were great—efficient, funny, friendly. But there is an added bonus when there is a native on board who can discuss growing up in that country. The other notable difference was the absence of the “back of the bus” kid crowd—and there is quite a bit of bus time on this trip. In large part I think it was due to the fact that we had a large multi-unit family group who stuck together, so the kids all stayed up in the front half of the bus where these families situated themselves.

The Queen was coming to town, so we could not go to the Palace of Holyroodhouse—disappointing (and now on our “must do” list for a future visit), and compounded by its replacement being St. Giles Cathedral, which we had visited on our own. (ABD did send a letter about this change, but we had left for Northern Ireland before it arrived). On the up side, our guide for this day was a 74-year-old Scotsman named David who sang and joked and provided a good overview of Edinburgh (he is a Blue Badge Guide). He did not get into detail because he was concerned about the attention span of the kids on board—but for a tour around town, maybe it was sufficient. We had a great time at the National Museum of Scotland—but I’d recommend selecting a few highlights on the history side (such as the Lewis chess pieces) and then go to the art and science side (which includes the stuffed sheep “Dolly”—the first cloned animal). Lunch at the museum was excellent and the storyteller who came in held us all captivated. We next visited Dovecot Studios for family weaving activities (it was fun—these things are always more fun than they sound!)—but we were divided into two groups (for two different activities)—and in some of the down time it would have been nice to have our guide David around to talk to. (However, there is some sort of time limitation so he could not hang out at the museum under his current contract). The day was capped with a tour of Edinburgh Castle (partially with David, partially on our own)—we say the soldiers lining up by the cannons in preparation for the 21-gun salute for the Queen’s arrival (and saw the guns go off as we walked across Waverley Bridge).

Tip: with long days, this was the right time to head down the Royal Mile for dinner at one of the pubs then onward to see the quirky new Parliament building, Holyrood and then walk up to the top of Arthur’s Seat (takes about 30 minutes to walk up the path—sometimes steep, frequently uneven—but man! What a view!). We had toyed with buying provisions and picnicking at the top—but that would have been a long haul.

Isle of Skye

Our lucky streak of beautiful weather held out, and our bus (half asleep) wandered by gorgeous green hills, lochs and mountains into the Highlands, through Glencoe (Bonnie Prince Charlie territory) to our lunch stop at Ft. Williams. Rick Steves’ recommendation was to drive on by, but he was wrong—a lovely little town and a variety of eateries (once again, Fish and Chips for me), a young female bagpipe player in the town square and plenty of shops. I bought a shirt that said “Malt Whisky” in the Disney font, with whisky bottles forming the shape of a castle—perfect for the whisky tasting that evening! From Ft. Williams we went to the Eilean Donan Castle—used in Brave, and also the castle you see in the ABD ads with the parents and kids running up a stone bridge. Guides were on site for an overview, and then you roamed. The castle is less than 100 years old (rebuilt in the early 1900s using existing ruins and drawings dated from a 1714 survey—the Brits drew it then destroyed it).

From this stop we went on to the Isle of Skye to the Cuillin Hills Hotel in Portree. Most of the town closes for the winter, but Cuillin Hills Hotel is one of the few year-round hotels. This was Junior Adventure night—while they were off, the adults who were interested went to the whisky tasting followed by an ABD-provided dinner at the hotel’s restaurant.

By the way, the Balmoral and the Kingsmill (Inverness) both had room safes—the Cuillin Hills Hotel did not, but if you wanted to have the front desk put your valuables in a hotel safe they would do so. All hotels had wifi (good free wifi reception in Balmoral rooms, we had reception in our room in Cuillin Hills—may have been due to our location on the first floor, and Kingsmill had free wifi in lobby but a paid plan for rooms), all hotels had hairdryers and plenty of outlets. The towel racks at the Balmoral and Cuillin were heated—the Cuillin were VERY warm to hot, so beware! Excellent pool at Balmoral, decent gym and pool at Inverness—no gym or pool at Cuillin. However, the lawn area overlooking the Portree harbor was stunning—try to find some time to sit there if you can. One other thing: little biting bugs (like mini-mosquitos) can become a problem; if so, bug spray is not very effective but the guides have spray on hand that should do the trick. We some a few of the “midges” but they were not a problem on this trip.

Our wildest weather day was July 2 (Wed), which we spent on Skye on its Trotternish Peninsula. The wind howled and whipped us about as we visited a few cliff-side areas (walking down some pathways, stopping at Kilt Rocks area). From there we went to the Quiraing—a popular destination for hikers; we hiked up into the hills and as we went further and further in, the clouds grew darker and the winds more intense. It was very dramatic, and breathtaking in many ways. On the return hike, some rain. My DW had purchased plastic pants to go over her clothing—and we brought lightweight rain jackets with hoods—all of which came in handy for the hike (but not really used again on the trip). Since the weather is so unpredictable, it is worth the small investment to bring these with you.

After the hike, we stopped at the Uig Hotel for a decent buffet lunch (nothing spectacular), then back to Portree for shopping time before a scone-making activity at a local bakery (be sure to check out the art studio in the bakery, on the second floor). Back at the hotel, an area dance studio (youth) provided a variety of music and dance performances; after that, we left for Portree (on foot, 15 minute walk) for a great fresh seafood dinner at the Rosedale Hotel on the harbor.

Wherefore art thou Nessie?

Thursday, July 3. Daylight. We are on the search for a reported serpent beast. Name of Nessie.

Now this was a Scottish day. We traveled along the Loch Ness (one of three lochs that essentially create a west to east channel across the Highlands); the loch is deeper than the North Sea. We toured a very interesting museum at the Loch Ness Center, followed by lunch and a talk by the curator of the museum (and foremost Loch Ness Monster researcher), Adrian Shine. After lunch we split into three groups, with one group taking canoes out into the loch, one riding a boat (with sonar and a glass bottom) around the loch and the third touring the ruins of nearby Urquhart Castle. We toured and then canoed (switching with the group that canoed first, then toured)—because of the weather/high wind, our canoes were tethered to a long rope, but that was OK. During the middle of the canoeing the sun broke out from behind the clouds and we all laid down our oars and sunbathed on the Loch Ness. From there, to our hotel in Inverness (the Kingsmill). Time enough to unwind, take in the pool and exercise room and then meet up with the group again for dinner at the hotel. The highlight: the presentation of the Haggis, with a reading from the works of Robert Burns (Burns’ “Address to a Haggis” recited by a wonderful local poet). I swore I’d never have Haggis, but I tried it…freshly cut open, steaming—and it was good!

Friday July 4

Sick all day in bed. Damn Haggis.

Friday July 4, Actually

Just kidding! The Haggis WAS very good—spicy, like a crumbly meatloaf, sort of. Best not to think too much about it.

On this date we flew to the Isle of Lewis (ABD chartered plane—much better treatment and snacks than any domestic Delta flight). The weather held, although it seemed like it could storm at any moment.

Our local tour guide was very good—gave us a lot of background on Lewis (the mass is actually two islands—Lewis and Harris, of Harris Tweed fame). We visited a Blackhouse Village (thatched roof, peet burning inside)—these were used as models for the witch’s house in “Brave”—and nearby was the Carloway Broch (a tribal home designed for defense, over 2000 years old). Beautiful setting. It is so hard to capture some of these settings on camera—use panorama on your cameras if you have it.

The highlight was visiting the Callanish standing stones—these upright flat rocks are up to 6 feet underground, and rise above ground 10 feet or more. We had plenty of time to roam around the stones. There was a small shop nearby and a cool solo artist show in a room below where the shop was located.

Lunch was in a restaurant along the main drag of Stornoway (with many good shops—great place to get Harris Tweed). As we sat there talking, we realized it was the 4th of July and that there was nothing particularly planned, so a few of us started singing the Star Spangled Banner—it ended with the whole room of ABDers standing and singing. It was a pretty cool moment. You have time after lunch to roam the town, or head across the river to see the Lewis Castle (I did that—it was being renovated, but the park surrounding it made for a really great walk. Most of Lewis is flat, tree-less—so this walk offered a nice small forest so different from the rest of the island). We flew back, had some time (not much) at the hotel, before catching our bus for dinner at the Mustard Seed (one of the Steves-recommended restaurants in Inverness; it was an old church). We opted to walk the town after dinner (again, light until after 10)—about 20 minutes from the hotel on foot, and we walked through some nice neighborhoods, adding flavor and character to our view of the town.

Estate Planning

This day offers what many on this trip have said was the best day—visiting a local estate (20,000 acres, with forest, lochs, mountains, farming). The Rothiemurchus Estate. We would never have been able to do all that we did had we tried to plan this trip on our own—it is the sort of experience that keeps us coming back to ABD.

While the Jr. Adventurers went out on a horseback ride, the adults toured the grounds by van…to scenic spots to try to take in the whole of the estate, to a field full of deer (to feed), to seeing hairy coos (er, cows) up close…we all met up for a really good lunch in a tent outside (including venison sausages, which my DS noted after that we fed the deer and then they fed us). (Sorry). In the afternoon we broke into two groups—one started on a nice long bike ride (ending at a loch) while the other did archery, then switched. Frankly, after all of the history and castles and scenery, the kids were ready for some play time (adults too!).

We had dinner on our own, so our group of 10 walked to Inverness to a guide-recommended restaurant called “Taste of Joy”—mix of food, good value, nice atmosphere.

And So The End is Near

A 6:30 AM departure back to Edinburgh. A sleepy group on the bus—but when we stopped at a Burger King in the coastal town of Aberdeen, everyone gave coffee/hot chocolate orders and then headed to the nearby beach to take a foot dip (or more) into the North Sea. From there, a relatively short drive to Dunnottar Castle, which has an interesting history (including being the hiding place of the Crown jewels—from Cromwell). The Castle ruins overlook the North Sea—the weather was fantastic, the air crisp and the cliff/ocean views breathtaking. We departed for Glamis Castle, the ancestral home of the late Queen Mother. Parts of the castle were over 600 years old—and it is said Shakespeare used the old parts as the setting for Macbeth. King Macbeth pre-dated the castle.) We had lunch here, with a little bit of time after to walk about or check out the gift shop. It started to rain as we were leaving, but cleared by the time we got back to Edinburgh. The ride back was entertaining, and fulfilled what many had hoped for. Just sayin’.

That evening was our farewell dinner. Our guides were in full kilt, and many of the older teens were dressed in kilts (either bought along the way, or brought with them). Everyone was encouraged to wear something Scottish, and most did (scarves, hats etc.). We took the bus over to Edinburgh Castle, which was now only open to ABD, walked the grounds, went to see the Crown Jewels and the Stone of Destiny (with a private guide telling us about all of it)—then to a beautifully set room for dinner. (This is the time to give your guides their tips).

In Conclusion

Happily our flight didn’t leave until 12:30, so we had the morning to relax at the hotel—have a leisurely breakfast, use the sauna/gym, walk Princes Street Park. Part of our group left the next day, and went back to see the Palace of Holyroodhouse (which had reopened after the Queen’s departure). We are always on the fence about post-days, as our kids are anxious to get back. We always do pre-days, and always will—best way to get adjusted to the time difference before the ABD trip gets underway, and to buy extra time if needed due to travel delays. I have read elsewhere that the departure city is usually given less attention on an ABD trip, and that seems to be generally so—we loved having the opportunity to do a lot of things on our own before meeting the group (especially the Royal Yacht, and the day trip down to Hadrian’s Wall).

A good, solid ABD trip, excellent itinerary and lots to learn if you take the extra effort. I am now about three weeks post-trip, and have to say it is holding up very well and gets better and better upon reflection.

So what all do any of you suggest as "must haves" to take on this trip? I know to bring a couple of pair of sneakers (or hiking shoes if I have them) because it may be muddy/rainy. I'm also bringing a couple of different weights of water-proof jacket, both of which could be layered over a fleece if necessary.

Any other suggestions? How many "nice" meals did you have (ie, bring something a little special to wear). ANY idea what the weather may be like in September? I know everyplace has been having the most bizarre weather this year, so it's hard to know, but any guesses?

Oh, my! I can't believe I'm starting to think about what to pack! :hyper:

Sayhello

So what all do any of you suggest as "must haves" to take on this trip? I know to bring a couple of pair of sneakers (or hiking shoes if I have them) because it may be muddy/rainy. I'm also bringing a couple of different weights of water-proof jacket, both of which could be layered over a fleece if necessary. Any other suggestions? How many "nice" meals did you have (ie, bring something a little special to wear). ANY idea what the weather may be like in September? I know everyplace has been having the most bizarre weather this year, so it's hard to know, but any guesses? Oh, my! I can't believe I'm starting to think about what to pack! :hyper: Sayhello

I suggest packing for all kinds of weather. Not sure about Sept. But when we went, there were days when shorts and sandals worked. You can dress up for the dinner at the Cuillin Hills Hotel plus the farewell dinner. You can dress up as well in the Mustard Seed restaurant but make sure you have comfy shoes in case you decide to walk back. Make sure you have waterproof shoes as well. :)

I suggest packing for all kinds of weather. Not sure about Sept. But when we went, there were days when shorts and sandals worked. You can dress up for the dinner at the Cuillin Hills Hotel plus the farewell dinner. You can dress up as well in the Mustard Seed restaurant but make sure you have comfy shoes in case you decide to walk back. Make sure you have waterproof shoes as well. :)
Waterproof? Uh-oh. Don't think I have any of those. I'll have to check that out. (Except I have Keens. Would Keens work? Which part do I need waterproof shoes for?)

Thanks, tufbuf!

Sayhello

We went in August and were advised to pack for all 4 seasons as you can experience them all in one day. I would say that was an accurate assessment. So, pack to dress in layers. Pack a pair of waterproof hiking shoes/sneakers. Some folks dressed up a bit for dinner. Our group here on the meet thread agreed to not wear anything fancier than jeans or cords to dinner to avoid packing more stuff and that way no one would feel out of place.

Waterproof? Uh-oh. Don't think I have any of those. I'll have to check that out. (Except I have Keens. Would Keens work? Which part do I need waterproof shoes for?) Thanks, tufbuf! Sayhello

The weather is very unpredictable. I would think around Sept., rain might be more frequent. We really lucked out on the weather. Keens should be fine. When we hiked the Quiraing, it started raining on the descent and walking on grass could really soak your shoes. The rain wasn't that bad but I didn't have to worry about wet feet. I guess if you don't have waterproof shoes, just make sure you have an alternate pair, just in case.

Bring a small umbrella (the travel kind that are very compact and lightweight)--and I brought Sanuk shoes which dry out fast and were comfortable and very lightweight. We did get some lightweight waterproof clothing at Sports Authority--and REI has a lot more. Balmoral does have umbrellas to borrow (next to the front door)--but can't say that is the case with the rest of the hotels on the trip. I did bring a sports coat/slacks/dress shoes and shirt on the trip--came in handy for a pre-night in Belfast (theater)--but wasn't really needed in Scotland. Buy a nice scarf or other clothing accessory along the way to wear at the farewell dinner, and you'll be good!

Sayhello

Sayhello...the "tablet-sized carrying bag" you received in your box...is it more of a documents case, like for your passport, etc., or for an iPad kind of thing? Reason I ask is my friend, who is currently on the Australia ABD, received a leather-like document case,which looked cool. I'm actually leaving for the Scotland trip in 2 1/2 weeks and still haven't received my box. :-( I signed up late, so it's supposed to be here this weekend, fingers crossed.

Bring a small umbrella (the travel kind that are very compact and lightweight)--and I brought Sanuk shoes which dry out fast and were comfortable and very lightweight. We did get some lightweight waterproof clothing at Sports Authority--and REI has a lot more. Balmoral does have umbrellas to borrow (next to the front door)--but can't say that is the case with the rest of the hotels on the trip. I did bring a sports coat/slacks/dress shoes and shirt on the trip--came in handy for a pre-night in Belfast (theater)--but wasn't really needed in Scotland. Buy a nice scarf or other clothing accessory along the way to wear at the farewell dinner, and you'll be good!
Thanks, WeLoveABD! That all sounds good! :thumbsup2

Sayhello...the "tablet-sized carrying bag" you received in your box...is it more of a documents case, like for your passport, etc., or for an iPad kind of thing? Reason I ask is my friend, who is currently on the Australia ABD, received a leather-like document case,which looked cool. I'm actually leaving for the Scotland trip in 2 1/2 weeks and still haven't received my box. :-( I signed up late, so it's supposed to be here this weekend, fingers crossed.
I'm posting a picture of it with my original iPad in it (which is larger than my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro, which is what I've been carrying in it. It's an original iPad, so it's fairly large). It's definitely not what I'd call a document case, but maybe it is for you. :)

P1000197_zps1debb215.jpg

P1000200_zps4d865ed3.jpg

Hope that helps!

Sayhello

I just talked to ABD, and the guides for the 8/3 Adventure will be Lenore (didn't get a last name) and Michael Rodriguez. I know all the guides are excellent, but has anyone had any personal experiences with either Lenore or Michael? My entire family is so excited for our adventure to begin!! Thanks for all the tips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter