Scotland Meets Thread (formerly Scotland: A Brave Adventure)

Mine says the same thing too. I was excited to see Stirling Castle but I think from the dates listed we will probably have our farewell dinner at Edinburgh Castle.

My preference would be to have the after-hours tour and dinner at Edinburgh Castle, so I hope it's that!

I'm a little confused by the changes in the itinerary--we are on the August 4th tour. Could you give a little more info about what the guide says?

I don't have my scanner nearby to send you an image, but basically on Day 8 it provides the Daily Event and Locations. It lists an After-Hours Private Tour of Stirling Castle With your Adventure Guides and Farewell Dinner at Stirling Castle.

The back of that page that provides more information says "After-Hours Private Tour at Edinburgh Castle" and "Farewell Reception and Dinner at Edinburgh Castle." There is a note on the bottom of the page that says "Due to Edinburgh's annual Military Tattoo event, late July and August departures will enjoy the Farewell Reception and Dinner at Stirling Castle."

We are using Rabbie's.

I meant to reply to this earlier, but I used Rabbies before on a 3-day trip to the Highlands. I really enjoyed them. They are actually who we are debating using for 2 day trips versus renting a car. Which we are *still* undecided on. Sigh.

I meant to reply to this earlier, but I used Rabbies before on a 3-day trip to the Highlands. I really enjoyed them. They are actually who we are debating using for 2 day trips versus renting a car. Which we are *still* undecided on. Sigh.

Great to know. Thanks for posting. They seemed to get good reviews on TripAdvisor.

I don't have my scanner nearby to send you an image, but basically on Day 8 it provides the Daily Event and Locations. It lists an After-Hours Private Tour of Stirling Castle With your Adventure Guides and Farewell Dinner at Stirling Castle.

The back of that page that provides more information says "After-Hours Private Tour at Edinburgh Castle" and "Farewell Reception and Dinner at Edinburgh Castle." There is a note on the bottom of the page that says "Due to Edinburgh's annual Military Tattoo event, late July and August departures will enjoy the Farewell Reception and Dinner at Stirling Castle."

Thank you so much for the info--it sounds like our tour will definitely be affected. I guess it makes sense--given the tattoo--but it would have been nice to have a head's up from Disney :( I've been to both castles so many times, it isn't a big deal to me, but I maybe others will be disappointed?

My preference would be to have the after-hours tour and dinner at Edinburgh Castle, so I hope it's that!

That is actually fine with me, since my family was debating using some of our pre-trip time to see Stirling. Now we will just stay in Edinburgh and make sure we hit Edinburgh Castle on our own and enjoy the private tour and farewell dinner at Stirling Castle with ABD instead. We also have tickets to the Military Tattoo, so it's all good.

That is actually fine with me, since my family was debating using some of our pre-trip time to see Stirling. Now we will just stay in Edinburgh and make sure we hit Edinburgh Castle on our own and enjoy the private tour and farewell dinner at Stirling Castle with ABD instead. We also have tickets to the Military Tattoo, so it's all good.

It looks like we wil be doing the same thing :thumbsup2

On another note, with the trip just around the corner I started a re-read of the Outlander series. Just want to be sure I am in the right frame of mind upon arrival :laughing:

It looks like we wil be doing the same thing :thumbsup2

On another note, with the trip just around the corner I started a re-read of the Outlander series. Just want to be sure I am in the right frame of mind upon arrival :laughing:

Anyone else need to update passports? We had to renew our DD12 passport. Travel dates Need to be done within 6 month before expiration date. Hers was going to expire in November. Waiting for new passport... I am glad Disney told me to update it!

[QUOTEOn another note, with the trip just around the corner I started a re-read of the Outlander series. Just want to be sure I am in the right frame of mind upon arrival :laughing:[/QUOTE]

I am almost done re-listening to Dragonfly in Amber (Book 2). Much of the latter part of the book takes place in Edinburgh, and there are lots of references to Holyrood House, the Royal Mile (with its winds and closes) and Edinburgh Castle. It has been a great lead-up to the trip.

Anyone else need to update passports? We had to renew our DD12 passport. Travel dates Need to be done within 6 month before expiration date. Hers was going to expire in November. Waiting for new passport... I am glad Disney told me to update it!

Did someone at ABD tell you this? Both of my kids have passports that expire in Dec. of this year. However, I had researched this a few months ago, and it does not appear that the U.K. is a jurisdiction that requires at least 6 months remaining on the passports. Now I am concerned...Anyone else have experience with this?

Did someone at ABD tell you this? Both of my kids have passports that expire in Dec. of this year. However, I had researched this a few months ago, and it does not appear that the U.K. is a jurisdiction that requires at least 6 months remaining on the passports. Now I am concerned...Anyone else have experience with this?

ABD suggests that everyone’s passport be good for 6 months after arrival.

They do this because there are Adventures that carry that requirement.

Scotland is not one of those Adventures. As long as your passport is good for the duration of your Adventure, you are fine.

That will be perfect! I think I read through book 4--or book 5.

Book 8 comes out later this year. I convinced DH to listen to the series. By the end of book 7, which ends on some cliff hangers, he ran up to me said, "OMG when is the next book coming out???!!!"

I am almost done re-listening to Dragonfly in Amber (Book 2). Much of the latter part of the book takes place in Edinburgh, and there are lots of references to Holyrood House, the Royal Mile (with its winds and closes) and Edinburgh Castle. It has been a great lead-up to the trip.

Oh that's right! I forgot about that. My re-read is actually a re-listen. I can't seem to find the time to read like I used to. Since my job requires a lot of driving I now listen to all of my books. I should be in or past Dragonfly by the time we leave if I timed things right. I just love Davina Porter narrating! She is perfect!!!!

and there are lots of references to Holyrood House, the Royal Mile (with its winds and closes) and Edinburgh Castle.

One of the closes' is actually my son's first name. I took a great pic of it a few years back and made very cool notecards for him :)

Yes, someone at ABD contacted us and had us renew her passport. Our DD's passport was to expire this November.

Oh that's right! I forgot about that. My re-read is actually a re-listen. I can't seem to find the time to read like I used to. Since my job requires a lot of driving I now listen to all of my books. I should be in or past Dragonfly by the time we leave if I timed things right. I just love Davina Porter narrating! She is perfect!!!!

I got into the habit of listening to books when I had a really long commute a number of years ago (65 miles each way). Now my commute is shorter, but I still listen to books. It is much more entertaining than the radio and, like you, I have a hard time finding the time to read an actual book unless I am on vacation. You are right about Davina Porter. She is a great narrator. I have a disc and a half left of Dragonfly. Hoping to make it through at least book 3 before the trip.

Finished Dragonfly in Amber. Starting Voyager!

That was fast! Still on Outlander. I will probably hit Dragonfly in Amber by the end of the week.

Can't believe our Adventure is 75 days away. Je Suis Prest :thumbsup2

I just need to announce to all that I just booked my family's
dream vacation of a lifetime!!

Scotland - Aug 2014!!

There is so much to be excited about, and this has been a long time coming for my family. But I am so overwhelmed at the idea, Im actually numb. Can anyone relate??

I just need to announce to all that I just booked my family's
dream vacation of a lifetime!!

Scotland - Aug 2014!!

There is so much to be excited about, and this has been a long time coming for my family. But I am so overwhelmed at the idea, Im actually numb. Can anyone relate??

Congratulations and :welcome: to the DISboards! Yes, I can totaly relate. That is exactly how I felt last year when booking this trip :goodvibes I am looking forward to trip reports from those who are traveling before we do this August. I will post a trip report on our adventure when we return.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Terrie.

I have to say this thread has quite exceptional planners -- I am most impressed with the details of pre-trip tours, getting the absolute most out of this incredible experience!

I have been to Scotland many times as both my parents were born and raised there. This trip however, is a first for my family. My husband and i toured almost this very itinerary with my parents on our "second honeymoon" 24 years ago. Now we will finally get to retrace those steps with our 4 kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter