School's Closing Early? Let's Do Disney in December! 12-10

disneydreamingdebby

DVC Member
Hello! I am hoping to have various readers for this PTR. I'd love for others planning a December trip to chime in, those who have been there in December, and of course, those who'd love to be there in December who can live vicariously through me....

I wasn't sure if I was going to do a PTR for this upcoming trip, but I need opinions, help, and obsession understanding from my fellow Disney lovers! (I knew I'd hate to let Queen of All Things down, and I'd miss weekly chats with my other friends...) I am so excited that we are going to Disney in December--I didn't think we'd be able to do a December trip until dh and I retired.

This is me (Debby) with our nine year old twins (Emma and Hannah)--unfortunately, we didn't get dh in this one or any of the four of us today.

i-BRTCrBv-M.jpg

Here is dh (Gregg)- also a huge Disney fan (notice the shirt)...

i-r9X6FXv-M.jpg

To explain the title, I teach at a public high school in PA. Our district decided to extend winter break and have an extra week off to save on heating costs. When my friend and I heard this, we both thought it would be a great time to go to Disney. Of course, this was back in the summer. When I asked dh, he said, "Can we please go on this trip first?" (He obviously doesn't realize the importance of having a trip planned before leaving the magic...) However, respecting his need to make it through our August trip, I dropped it. ;)

Once school started back up though, I was checking airfare. I was getting nervous about rising rates, and I texted him. Tickets are $xx.oo, I am getting nervous. Can I book flights? His response: "Sure." :cool1: My friend was checking flights too, and a couple weeks later she booked!

Dates:

December 16 - All Star Music (AP Discount)

all-star-music2.jpg

December 17-21 - Beach Club Villas (DVC Points)

946984539_dbZTp-M.jpg

Joining in! I'll be one of the DISers living vicariously through you who would love to be there in December :goodvibes

Yay on DH agreeing to the trip! :thumbsup2 I loved our recent visit to the Beach Club and can't wait to see your pics of this place.

I'm here too!!!!! We will be staying at wdw the same time, 15th at a Courtyard Marriott in LBV and 16 - 20 at AKL!! We debated about YC bc of Epcot location but decided to save the $$$ and we'll have my car or my brothers to get around. My Xmas break starts the 16th :). Can't wait to hear ur plans!

Joining in! I'll be one of the DISers living vicariously through you who would love to be there in December :goodvibes

Yay on DH agreeing to the trip! :thumbsup2 I loved our recent visit to the Beach Club and can't wait to see your pics of this place.

Hi! You're first! You get a Mickey bar, which I think you have to have on your next visit!

In the meantime, I will be ready along your adventure in anticipation of mine...it's like the Circle of Life, huh? Let's name the phenomenon...The Circle of Disney!

I'm here too!!!!! We will be staying at wdw the same time, 15th at a Courtyard Marriott in LBV and 16 - 20 at AKL!! We debated about YC bc of Epcot location but decided to save the $$$ and we'll have my car or my brothers to get around. My Xmas break starts the 16th :). Can't wait to hear ur plans!

I love AKL, and I am worried about missing it! This summer, I really missed the Epcot resorts, so I am glad to go back. However, we've stayed at Jambo nearly every trip for at least a couple of days!

You will have to chime in with your plans so we can meet up!!! I plan on visiting AKL to see the decorations. If not, we can text to meet at a park.

I am excited- if we can pull it off, it will be my first Dismeet. :woohoo:

Sounds great!! I'll be going a PTR in my yearly thread but I'll send you a fb msg of plans as they are currently lol.

I will be following along too. We love to visit during the holidays and had December trips in 2009 and 2010. My first advice for anyone traveling in December is to bring layers! We had 90 degree days and we had 30 degree days. Be prepared for anything!

Can't wait to hear all about you plans.

We will be in WDW the 10th to the 15th. Taking the kids out a week early for Free Dining, don't tell them though,lol. Debating if I should write a PTR, but am afraid no one will read it, :rotfl2:

YIPPPPPEEEEEEE

Ok...I'm good now!!! I am so happy you decided to do one!!! Can't wait to hear of all your plans! I loved going and seeing all the decorations...it's so magical on a normal day, but when it's transformed for Christmas:cloud9: We have gone twice in December....now...will you be doing the MVMCP????popcorn::

I'll look back in pictures and see if I can think of anything else:rolleyes1

Here, Debby!!! :yay:

:goodvibes I am so glad! Grab some apple cider and one of those amazing baked treats that is in your kitchen... your house must smell amazing on the weekends!

I will be following along too. We love to visit during the holidays and had December trips in 2009 and 2010. My first advice for anyone traveling in December is to bring layers! We had 90 degree days and we had 30 degree days. Be prepared for anything!

Can't wait to hear all about you plans.

Hello! :welcome:

I am looking forward to hearing your advice! Thanks for the tip on layers. We travelled last January, and I really wish I had brought more layers. My dh and kids wore shorts nearly every day, but I was cold. Since it is so much colder in PA, I think my family thought I was a wuss.

I was glad I didn't have my coat, bc I knew which people weren't from the colder parts based on their attire... One day was 65 and still some folks had down jackets...:upsidedow

I'd love some temps in the middle, please...

We will be in WDW the 10th to the 15th. Taking the kids out a week early for Free Dining, don't tell them though,lol. Debating if I should write a PTR, but am afraid no one will read it, :rotfl2:

Thanks for joining and :welcome: I promise not to tell your kids! My girlfriend is utilizing free dining and surprising her 4 soon to be 5 year old. They went last Oct. for their first trip.

My girls will miss school from the 19th to the 21st (and maybe 22nd); their school district isn't taking an extended break.

How old are your children? Where are you staying? Where are you eating? Where are you from? Okay, really, you should just write a PTR! :rotfl2:

I try not to let it bother me if many people don't read. I have some wonderful Dis friends (who you will soon meet in this PTR). The PTR lets me plan and chat with those dear friends and allows me a chance to meet more.

YIPPPPPEEEEEEE

Ok...I'm good now!!! I am so happy you decided to do one!!! Can't wait to hear of all your plans! I loved going and seeing all the decorations...it's so magical on a normal day, but when it's transformed for Christmas:cloud9: We have gone twice in December....now...will you be doing the MVMCP????popcorn::

I'll look back in pictures and see if I can think of anything else:rolleyes1

:dance3: Hello friend!

You know I did this for you, right? :lmao: Well, okay, I'll admit it; I only needed a little encouragement! I am so glad that you can offer advice from your past trips!

We aren't doing MVMCP...thank you for tonight's topic! :rotfl2:

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party...
Toy-soldiers.jpg

I decided against doing this hard ticket event. I thought long and hard; I read for minutes and minutes...

Once I read that the parade begins in MK after the last of the MVMCP on December 18, I decided that we wouldn't go. I hate to pay so much for the tickets; for the four of us with a DVC discount we are still looking at over $200...

Any thoughts on this. There might be an angle to the party that I am not aware of that might be useful to know... Would you go to the Christmas Party if you knew that you probably weren't going to be at Disney in December again anytime soon? I could reconsider... :santa:

The idea of not going is not an anathema (something destested or hated.)

(Did you know that I would be supplying you with a word of the day? I assigned the task of using two unknown vocab words three times a day to my 10th graders. Anathema (noun) is my unknown word...I will have to tell them tomorrow how I used it...)

I think you would be okay skipping the party -- especially since the parade will run while you are there. Plus, the Main Street Bakery will be selling hot chocolate and cookies, so you can get those, watch the parade, and it won't be nearly as expensive as the party tickets. :thumbsup2

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party...

I decided against doing this hard ticket event. I thought long and hard; I read for minutes and minutes...

Once I read that the parade begins in MK after the last of the MVMCP on December 18, I decided that we wouldn't go. I hate to pay so much for the tickets; for the four of us with a DVC discount we are still looking at over $200...

Any thoughts on this. There might be an angle to the party that I am not aware of that might be useful to know... Would you go to the Christmas Party if you knew that you probably weren't going to be at Disney in December again anytime soon? I could reconsider... :santa:

The idea of not going is not an anathema (something destested or hated.)

(Did you know that I would be supplying you with a word of the day? I assigned the task of using two unknown vocab words three times a day to my 10th graders. Anathema (noun) is my unknown word...I will have to tell them tomorrow how I used it...)

We visited WDW while the MVMCP has been going on the past 2 years and never attended. I can't justify the added expense for the parade, fireworks and hot cocoa. However, we are not big fans of parades or big character hunters. If you family REALLY enjoys parades and/or finding rare characters it may be worth it.

If you decide not to go, make sure to schedule an evening at the Poly to watch the Christmas Party fireworks from the beach. They do more permiter fireworks than during regular Wishes, so it's fun to see from afar.

Thanks for expanding my vocabulary . . . I'm not sure when I can use "anathema", but if I find a way to fit it into conversation I'm sure I'll sound quite smart! :lmao:

Ok, now I know you're going to kill yourself laughing over this but....the reason I bought the tickets to MVMCP weren't for the parade, or the hot chocolate, or the fireworks...nope...it was to get a picture of Belle in her Christmas Dress:lmao::lmao: I do love that picture:lovestruc

I think you would be okay skipping the party -- especially since the parade will run while you are there. Plus, the Main Street Bakery will be selling hot chocolate and cookies, so you can get those, watch the parade, and it won't be nearly as expensive as the party tickets. :thumbsup2

I agree that we can buy those goodies and save about $175...:rotfl:

We visited WDW while the MVMCP has been going on the past 2 years and never attended. I can't justify the added expense for the parade, fireworks and hot cocoa. However, we are not big fans of parades or big character hunters. If you family REALLY enjoys parades and/or finding rare characters it may be worth it.

If you decide not to go, make sure to schedule an evening at the Poly to watch the Christmas Party fireworks from the beach. They do more permiter fireworks than during regular Wishes, so it's fun to see from afar.

Thanks for expanding my vocabulary . . . I'm not sure when I can use "anathema", but if I find a way to fit it into conversation I'm sure I'll sound quite smart! :lmao:

Thank you about the tip to see the fireworks from the Poly! I think they show the special holiday Wishes from the 19th-25th (after the parties) but I will have to double check that. If not, make sure to be at the Poly on the 18th!

We aren't fans of parades or characters (well, I am, but my kids and dh only feign interest to make me happy. Well, except for dh's love of Chip and Dale, and maybe Marie!)

Glad I could help improve your diction...:rotfl2: I have to use dictionary.com to hear how to say some of the words. I guarentee that I will see or hear anathema sometime in the next week, though. Always happens!

Ok, now I know you're going to kill yourself laughing over this but....the reason I bought the tickets to MVMCP weren't for the parade, or the hot chocolate, or the fireworks...nope...it was to get a picture of Belle in her Christmas Dress:lmao::lmao: I do love that picture:lovestruc

I am laughing, but now I really NEED to see the picture. Are you ready for a laugh? Now, I want a picture with Belle in that dress! (But alas, can I really justify over $200 for it...)

Can't really offer an opinion on MVMCP but we were glad we went to MNSSHP even if it was to say we had done it and know what it's all about. I would attend again but probably only with my little sister or someone who would enjoy it as much as me...I'm giving too much away again :rolleyes1

Anyway I can understand not wanting to spend over $200 on the Party.

Can't really offer an opinion on MVMCP but we were glad we went to MNSSHP even if it was to say we had done it and know what it's all about. I would attend again but probably only with my little sister or someone who would enjoy it as much as me...I'm giving too much away again :rolleyes1

Anyway I can understand not wanting to spend over $200 on the Party.

I have heard nearly everyone say MNSSHP is a better experience than MCMCP; it seems that more is done for Halloween verses Christmas. I think this may be because at Christmas all of the resorts are decorated, and the other parks all have special events.

It's okay if you give stuff away!

I think I owe it to my readers to let you know that I do not plan on this being photo heavy. I want the experience to be fresh. I do want to plan what we are doing, but I don't want to see it all ahead of time. I promise that my TR will be heavy with photos, though!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did more research about the events in the MK after MVMCP. The special Wishes show is the same as the party as is the parade. I'm not sure if Belle will be in her fancy dress for the meet and greet...

It appears that most sites only recommend the party if you are most interested in low crowds or if you won't be visiting after the party ends.

So, I think that I can safely say we will be able to see the Christmas festivities at the MK (and I will have to buy my kiddos hot chocolates!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving on to more special events...Let's travel to

epcot-christmas.jpg
(Photo from inside the magic)

This park has many fantastic options! I will spend several posts covering these options!

For tonight, I just want to share one:

I just learned that at 6:00, Mickey has a special tree lighting ceremony at World Showcase Plaza. The event takes about 10 minutes! :santa:

Charles is the same way -- he doesn't like to look at pictures or even watch movie trailers because he always wants the experience to be completely new. :goodvibes

Mickey lighting the tree at Epcot sounds fun!!!

Not sure my crew would appreciate MVMCP right now. They are 10 and 12, and the 12 y/o being an obnoxious pre-teen, I don't think I am ready for the eye rolling while there, lol. Ok, gonna go work on my PTR!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter