school and kids

I would absolutely NOT pull a child from school in the first month of a new school...especially not when transitioning to middle or high school.

I would absolutely NOT pull a child from school in the first month of a new school...especially not when transitioning to middle or high school.
how about not in sept but more towards the end of the year? but if I do that it would most like be 5 days instead of 3

how about not in sept but more towards the end of the year? but if I do that it would most like be 5 days instead of 3
IMO, if one was going to pull their kids out, this would be preferable. The adjustment of a new school year is out of the way and one would know the teachers and their expectations/policies.

Only you can answer this question as no one on the boards know your children. Some kids have a really hard time adjusting to Middle School while others breeze thru it. My sister has taught 7th and 8th grade for over twenty years. It still surprises her how differently the kids adjust. Another idea, check the school calendar. Inservice days are pretty common now, if u schedule a trip on the weekend and during an inservice week they may miss less.

We pull out for vacations and have never had an issue.

However, even if the schools tried to prohibit it, I would do it anyway. I refuse to allow a school district govern my family decisions. Normally, they are full of hot air and if you stand up to them, they back down. My kids, my decision.

That being said, I have hesitated to schedule early in the year because I feel like it is an important time for everyone. I would definitely talk to your kids.

This is exactly how I feel. Granted, as the workload increases and becomes more complex, we may need to get more creative about ways to do that, but they have their entire adult lives to be stressed out, I'd still like our kids to have some chances to be kids. Since we both work, they can't even have summer vacation off - they have camp for 8 hours a day. I appreciate that the school district has standards, and we will definitely not be jerks about it, but as you say - my kids, my decision.

Here there are a couple of weeks during the school year where they are not in school due to Parent-Teacher conferences that coincide with other holidays (such as Columbus Day). I have no problem pulling my son from school that week because it's essentially a wash. They'll get very little done due to the break and have just wrapped up some testing. That being said, I would still notify his teacher/counselor in advance to get the homework and possible writing exercises he can do to incorporate his vacation with some learning opportunities.

Here there are a couple of weeks during the school year where they are not in school due to Parent-Teacher conferences that coincide with other holidays (such as Columbus Day). I have no problem pulling my son from school that week because it's essentially a wash. They'll get very little done due to the break and have just wrapped up some testing. That being said, I would still notify his teacher/counselor in advance to get the homework and possible writing exercises he can do to incorporate his vacation with some learning opportunities.
I wish I knew ahead of time when parent teacher conferences are but unfort. they don't put that on the on line calendar :( it will be on the district calendar which will come out in august, but now that i am thinking about it, i am going to go to their website maybe just maybe it is on there and i never noticed, thank you

I wish I knew ahead of time when parent teacher conferences are but unfort. they don't put that on the on line calendar :( it will be on the district calendar which will come out in august, but now that i am thinking about it, i am going to go to their website maybe just maybe it is on there and i never noticed, thank you
Definitely do that. This year the district sent home next year's calendar with the final report card. It was posted online too, along with their testing dates. You could always try to contact the administrative office as well. Lots of people have social and family events so there's really no reason to withhold that information. It greatly helps in making sure kids can attend school and other activities.

Definitely do that. This year the district sent home next year's calendar with the final report card. It was posted online too, along with their testing dates. You could always try to contact the administrative office as well. Lots of people have social and family events so there's really no reason to withhold that information. It greatly helps in making sure kids can attend school and other activities.
thanks I went on their site its not listed :( and i looked at this years calendar to see if the 1/2's were listed on this years and it wasn't so i think the PRINTED copy is the only one that has it listed. I will try and find out from the district when they will be printed out.
thanks again!

thanks I went on their site its not listed :( and i looked at this years calendar to see if the 1/2's were listed on this years and it wasn't so i think the PRINTED copy is the only one that has it listed. I will try and find out from the district when they will be printed out.
thanks again!
Good luck!

As a teacher I strongly advise against doing this. Your child's education should be the most important gift you give your child. What are you teaching your child about the importance of education if a vacation rates higher than education? Your child would be missing the lessons taught by the teacher.... someone degreed in education. You put your child at a disadvantage verses the children that were at school.

So what is most important for your - long term investment in your child(ren) or a vacation. And I love Disney - my children went when school was out.... it might have been a bit more crowded, but that became a lesson too in patience.

I think it depends on the child, the school, the teacher. I had no problem pulling mine out, their teachers didn't, and gathering from the high 80's and 90's my daugher finished gr. 8 with, or the As my son got, missing days didn't impede their academic career one bit. Teachers said "have fun and I'm jealous" when we advised them our plans

But every kid is different. Some can't handle doing make up stuff or learning on their own. First trip I hired a tutor for a few hours to teach my daughter a new math unit she was going to miss before we went, so that could be an option too. (Because the way they teach math now is waaaay different than how we learned! lol)

As a teacher I strongly advise against doing this. Your child's education should be the most important gift you give your child. What are you teaching your child about the importance of education if a vacation rates higher than education? Your child would be missing the lessons taught by the teacher.... someone degreed in education. You put your child at a disadvantage verses the children that were at school.

So what is most important for your - long term investment in your child(ren) or a vacation. And I love Disney - my children went when school was out.... it might have been a bit more crowded, but that became a lesson too in patience.

Different strokes. Family time and the memories we make together and experiences are just as valuable and important to our family. Missing a little school isn't stunting them or putting them at a disadvantage, at least not our kids. Maybe yours are different.

We pulled out kids out for 8 days last year and my youngest still performed a year higher all year. It's just a few days, not a whole year of no education. We work around important school dates and take some work with us. We will reevaluate when they're older, but there's no hard and fast rule on what the best thing for an individual family is.

You know your kids, especially your son, best. If it is going to overwhelm him, reconsider. If he's generally a good student and you're willing to help him stay caught up, it might not be so bad. I teach 6th grade, and we spend some time in Aug/Sept just getting kids used to the transition of middle school. I don't think missing 3 days would be the end of the world -- unless he's in an accelerated math class or something that will cover lots of materials in those days. Also, if you give the teacher notice the week before, he/she might be able to accommodate by providing work in advance. I'm always willing to help students out when they're going to miss school. Experiences are just as important as classwork! Personally, I'd rather have students miss school early in the year rather than in the spring. In our district, every 6th and 7th grade child has a personal laptop so I'm able to post work online. It's been a game changer; students are emailing me their work when they're home on a sick day! Be sure to hold your kids accountable for the work missed. At that age/grade, it shouldn't fall on the teacher to keep them caught up when they've been out. Follow up with your child and his teacher within the week of your return to make sure the work was turned in.

My husband and I work in different school systems, so school breaks rarely work out for us to take vacation. This year we're going to take the kids out for one day. My daughter will be in 6th grade; she's an excellent student and will be fine. Just have to do what works for your family -- as long as you are ready to help your kids get caught up, I don't think the teachers will mind.

this is why i am nervous, thank you for your honesty, as of now I am thinking Sept. wouldn't be the best time to do it, esp. being its so close to the beginning of the school year. thank you! and thank you all for your input and advice

You know your kids, especially your son, best. If it is going to overwhelm him, reconsider. If he's generally a good student and you're willing to help him stay caught up, it might not be so bad. I teach 6th grade, and we spend some time in Aug/Sept just getting kids used to the transition of middle school. I don't think missing 3 days would be the end of the world -- unless he's in an accelerated math class or something that will cover lots of materials in those days. Also, if you give the teacher notice the week before, he/she might be able to accommodate by providing work in advance. I'm always willing to help students out when they're going to miss school. Experiences are just as important as classwork! Personally, I'd rather have students miss school early in the year rather than in the spring. In our district, every 6th and 7th grade child has a personal laptop so I'm able to post work online. It's been a game changer; students are emailing me their work when they're home on a sick day! Be sure to hold your kids accountable for the work missed. At that age/grade, it shouldn't fall on the teacher to keep them caught up when they've been out. Follow up with your child and his teacher within the week of your return to make sure the work was turned in.

My husband and I work in different school systems, so school breaks rarely work out for us to take vacation. This year we're going to take the kids out for one day. My daughter will be in 6th grade; she's an excellent student and will be fine. Just have to do what works for your family -- as long as you are ready to help your kids get caught up, I don't think the teachers will mind.
you also make some good points, its so hard to decide.....but thank you as well for your input!

Different strokes. Family time and the memories we make together and experiences are just as valuable and important to our family. Missing a little school isn't stunting them or putting them at a disadvantage, at least not our kids. Maybe yours are different.

We pulled out kids out for 8 days last year and my youngest still performed a year higher all year. It's just a few days, not a whole year of no education. We work around important school dates and take some work with us. We will reevaluate when they're older, but there's no hard and fast rule on what the best thing for an individual family is.

This. Education takes place outside of classrooms too.

OP, I would not take your kids out in this specific case, but if you find another time that works for your family, I say go for it. I think the very beginning or very end of a year or semester are a bad time to miss if you do traditional schooling. Those transitions are pretty important and very few kids would adapt easily without them.

(So says the educational anarchist. ;) )

As a teacher I'd say, it totally depends on your kid, and your situation. I'd be nervous about early in the school year due to the transition period but you know your kid best. I have kids miss for travel and as long as they are doing well in class I think it's great. Sometimes just as much and more important learning can take place outside of the classroom. It doesn't mean you don't value education for your kids, sometimes you value it even more!

I can't agree with this. It truly depends on the child and the teacher each time. I am lucky - my school age kid is a year up in math, several years up in reading, and overall a superior student. This past school year they got a homework packet every Monday (she was in 2nd grade) - she insisted on doing all the work on Monday night, because she doesn't want to get behind. I am not worried about this kid at this time.

And plenty of learning takes place outside a classroom. It's summer vacation, but we have been reciting multiplication tables before dinner at least twice a week, I have her calculate change for me when we go through the coffee shop every week before her gymnastics class (even though I pay with my starbucks app, haha!), and she is in the summer reading program at the library - the girl has 4 books at a time going. We are actively keeping our hand in, so to speak, with learning. I'm not trying to brag, the reality is simply that currently she would not miss that much to miss a week of school for a vacation. Now as I have said, in high school that might not be the case, but we will judge that when we get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter